Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: The Matrimony Momentum

I waited all these years for a half hearted Vegas wedding that none of the core group attended....and they broke up afterward?!  WTF, show?!  Are you competing with HIMYM to see who can piss off their fans the most?!  GAH!

This episode just seemed all around blah.  Were LordRott and I the only ones sitting there thinking "if Sheldon shows Amy the ring, their issues are going to be magically resolved"?  Are we the only 2 people who think that THAT is exactly what is going to happen, probably 2 episodes from now?  *sigh* 

When Howard Wallowitz is my favorite character, this show has really gone to the dogs.

• Love 4

Bernadette and Howard's wedding was so sweet and funny. Those were the day's...

I did chuckle when they fist-bumped each other over realizing that their wedding was so much better than Leonard and Penny's.

For Leonard and Penny's sake, however, I kept hoping they'd chicken out of the wedding and their friends would be left watching them change their minds or dash off screen and end up watching an empty screen (except for the minister). Alas... they went through with it and then went with the cliché that they fight and ruin their wedding night.  *sigh*  I really wanted more for the two of them. Their wedding could have been informal but really beautiful. I don't understand why the writers write their relationship the way they do.

One other thing I did laugh out loud at was when Sheldon was bitching to Leonard about women and the superiority of men, and how Sheldon knows Leonard would never kiss him and make him say "I love you" and then dump him. Leonard's response was pretty funny: "Nooooo, I wouldn't [do that]."

Sheldon may deserve it, but since the group still includes him as a "friend," I expect some concern from them on his behalf.

I thought that Leonard showed Sheldon some sensitivity on the phone, talking it over with him while in Vegas.

Edited by sinkwriter

Sheldon is an ass, and the writers seem to have forgotten that some of the best comedy gold on this show was his pompous ass being completely stymied by unforeseen forces. I'm totally fine with him being unbearable as long as it bites him in the ass.

So, so, so, SO MUCH this.

I wasn't bothered by Penny being insensitive to Sheldon when he brought her tea. He's been intentionally, unnecessarily a huge asshole to his friends waaaaay too much over the past few seasons for me to care if Penny, in the middle of her own crisis, accidentally hurt his feelings. Karma's a bitch.

Also: the fact that he's a shitty boyfriend is the cold hard truth, and SOMEONE needed to say it. Penny is perhaps the one person Sheldon would actually listen to, too.

• Love 5

Sheldon may deserve it, but since the group still includes him as a "friend," I expect some concern from them on his behalf.

Except Sheldon has rarely shown concern for his friends. Granted, this has been potentially explained as Sheldon being possibly austistic or has Aspergers (I think that was it) which could explain his behaviour, this has not been confirmed on the show, so by default, Sheldon basically acts like an ass to this friends.

Honestly - all of them have been at the receiving end of Sheldon's selfish antics. They know how he can be, so they are probably not surprised at a) Amy dumping him and b) Sheldon's reactions to said dumping.

Just my speculation.

• Love 5

I think they conveyed that Penny's real passion was becoming famous - she could act, I think they also establish that in a few episodes - but to be honest in the episode when she gives Sheldon the scene from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof to act out I was surprised she knew who Tennessee Williams was and that this was considered an American classic.  She never seemed to me to be someone who would be happy as the kind of actress who gets small parts but isn't really ever going to hit it big or does voice over work or whatever because that's not going to give her the fame she was looking for.

Sounds like Jennifer Aniston. I know she's supposed to be a big star but she can't carry a bad movie, let alone a good one. Totally unjustified fame. And there are a lot of "Hey, it's that girl!" actresses out there doing really well that you see all the time.
  • Love 1

All I can say is that I am VERY relieved that Sheldon did not bring up the Relationship Agreement because I could see him going down a more petty route and finding a clause in there that she violated somehow and therefore their relationship can't be over.

"According to Paragraph 8b, termination of the relationship should involve a unanimous vote between all parties"
"Paragraph 11d, any or all voting decisions will be decided by me"

Bleh.

• Love 2

Except Sheldon has rarely shown concern for his friends. Granted, this has been potentially explained as Sheldon being possibly austistic or has Aspergers (I think that was it) which could explain his behaviour, this has not been confirmed on the show, so by default, Sheldon basically acts like an ass to this friends.

That's the crux behind the writing for Sheldon. On one hand the show's adamant that he's not on the Autism spectrum yet on the other it often lets him get away with some pretty outrageous stuff because he can't help it/is special etc. Occasionally he acts like he has not the faintest idea how his behavior affects others and the very next minute he is able to manipulate and even bully the people around him. His social grace and awareness depend mostly on the plot.

His relationship with Amy follows a simple pattern - he behaves like a jerk until she's almost out of the door, then he makes a grand gesture (buying her a tiara, a kiss, saying 'I love you') that yanks her back although the fundamental problems are not addressed. It remains to be seen if this time the show or rather the writers are willing to break the pattern for good which would require a drastic character development for Sheldon. If showing the ring to Amy is all it takes to make her come back we'll have our answer.

• Love 4

That's the crux behind the writing for Sheldon. On one hand the show's adamant that he's not on the Autism spectrum yet on the other it often lets him get away with some pretty outrageous stuff because he can't help it/is special etc. Occasionally he acts like he has not the faintest idea how his behavior affects others and the very next minute he is able to manipulate and even bully the people around him. His social grace and awareness depend mostly on the plot.

His relationship with Amy follows a simple pattern - he behaves like a jerk until she's almost out of the door, then he makes a grand gesture (buying her a tiara, a kiss, saying 'I love you') that yanks her back although the fundamental problems are not addressed. It remains to be seen if this time the show or rather the writers are willing to break the pattern for good which would require a drastic character development for Sheldon. If showing the ring to Amy is all it takes to make her come back we'll have our answer.

I think this is the pitfall of assuming that every type of character needs to evolve in the same way.  When people talk about characters evolving, it's usually becoming more mature and becoming a "good person," but evolution of a character can be anything from maturing to turning into a caricature.  With Sheldon, they're constantly at war with making him too sensitive or too insensitive.

My point, i guess, is that I think it was a mistake to push Sheldon along the path of maturing.  He actually started somewhat mature and then became more of a caricature as his popularity with the viewers skyrocketed.  To now go in the opposite direction in service of a relationship causes all these problems where it pisses off either the people who like Sheldon as a laugh machine or the people who want him to be a good boyfriend.  Either way, Sheldon loses his essence and the show as a whole suffers.

• Love 2

My issue with Leonard is not his interpersonal skills. It is his actions - the North Pole incident, making out with Howard's (his friend) date, cheating on Prya, his attitude toward Penny's acting, the kiss plus the later added info about still seeing the person, etc. and still thinking he has a leg to stand on about morality and being a decent guy. I think Leonard feels like he is a better person than most of his friends, when some of the things he does are pretty bad.

Creepy. I was thinking almost the exact thing when I was watching one of the older episodes our local station was showing tonight. I would add in sleeping with Sheldon's professor friend. I know he wasn't seeing Penny at the time but it had been a short while since the break up. How do you just turn around and sleep with a total stranger.

I didn't think ths episode was too awful. I'm afraid the good old days are long gone. I didn't like how they were having Sheldon act and I've always loved his character. They're letting the show go on way too long.

I have never found Penny and Leonard as a believable couple. And it goes beyond just their different personalities. I just don't think they have any chemistry together

Which is sad because I know they once dated in real life, so......what sense does that make?

Episode was pretty weak

I agree with whoever said Leonard really had no reason to say anything about kissing the girl. Especially then. And then he doesn't know when to stop or how to handle it afterwards and continues in his annoying way to say more that just makes it worse and worse

• Love 1

I'll add that during the "wedding", Penny seemed so "Yeah, whatever, let's get this overwith" that it threw me.

Penny can be girly, but is not excessively Girly Girl. But honestly, but she seemed to me like a special wedding would be important to her. Not a big wedding. Not a fancy wedding. Just something that MEANS something to her.

And honestly - that Vegas wedding?? She's just like "Meh." Not a good start. This alone tells me she needs to marry another. Which may happen, come to think about it. BBT is on for another two years after this. Why not?

• Love 2

I know he wasn't seeing Penny at the time but it had been a short while since the break up. How do you just turn around and sleep with a total stranger.

Leonard is a total slut whose only on-screen show of restraint has been when he backed off from sleeping with the comic book artist that he got together with while he was in a relationship with Priya. Stopping with a kiss while shipboard probably wasn't a choice he made, rather than him saying the wrong thing, or the circumstances.

• Love 2

I'll add that during the "wedding", Penny seemed so "Yeah, whatever, let's get this overwith" that it threw me.

Penny can be girly, but is not excessively Girly Girl. But honestly, but she seemed to me like a special wedding would be important to her. Not a big wedding. Not a fancy wedding. Just something that MEANS something to her.

And honestly - that Vegas wedding?? She's just like "Meh." Not a good start. This alone tells me she needs to marry another. Which may happen, come to think about it. BBT is on for another two years after this. Why not?

Penny seemed completely "meh" about the entire wedding. And the whole relationship, despite what she says. Always has been that way from what I've seen.

As for Leonard sleeping with a total stranger and some of the other things he has done, those aren't GOOD decisions, but they are decisions that are consistent with a 20 or 30 something year old single male. Especially in a Chuck Lorre comedy.

We've seen the same things out of Raj and Howard at times.

Sheldon is the only one who truly deviates from typical young single male sexual behavior.

• Love 2

I think this is the pitfall of assuming that every type of character needs to evolve in the same way.  When people talk about characters evolving, it's usually becoming more mature and becoming a "good person," but evolution of a character can be anything from maturing to turning into a caricature.  With Sheldon, they're constantly at war with making him too sensitive or too insensitive.

My point, i guess, is that I think it was a mistake to push Sheldon along the path of maturing.  He actually started somewhat mature and then became more of a caricature as his popularity with the viewers skyrocketed.  To now go in the opposite direction in service of a relationship causes all these problems where it pisses off either the people who like Sheldon as a laugh machine or the people who want him to be a good boyfriend.  Either way, Sheldon loses his essence and the show as a whole suffers.

It's a sitcom so people want to see some uplifting character development - like Raj finally being able to talk to women or Howard entering a stable relationship. Sheldon suffers from OCD and a whole list of other things and it's causing him a lot of stress, and those things are at the bottom of his problems with Amy (well those and the wonky writing). Character development for him should not happen for the sake of his relationship with Amy but for his own sake. But in the end that would make the character  less entertaining (or annoying depending on your POV) and so the character's stuck in some sort of sitcom limbo which could work if his surroundings don't change too dramatically. But by having him enter a relationship the writers forced their own hands and the results so far are mixed at best.

• Love 1
On one hand the show's adamant that he's not on the Autism spectrum yet on the other it often lets him get away with some pretty outrageous stuff because he can't help it/is special etc. Occasionally he acts like he has not the faintest idea how his behavior affects others and the very next minute he is able to manipulate and even bully the people around him. His social grace and awareness depend mostly on the plot.

And sometimes, an asshole is an asshole. I have zero sympathy for Sheldon; he deserves any comeuppance he gets, and this episode did nothing to change my feelings. He kept after Amy, not because he was trying to understand her feelings, but because her decision inconvenienced him. This is the guy who blackmailed Leonard -- his roommate and supposed best friend -- and Priya because they bested him in the roommate agreement.

Except for the Howard/Bernadette fist bump, this was a staggeringly unfunny episode. I like Penny and Leonard together, when they're happy and playful, but episodes like this, when they're angsty, just make me want them to be over and move on with their lives.

At least there was minimal Raj and none of his unlikable girlfriend. 

• Love 2

It was subtle, but reading between the lines Sheldon (under his childish, assholish temper tantrum) is massively hurt. At least that's how I read the lines "[Men] don't kiss you and make you say I love you and then leave you." From his perspective, he's changed significantly due to Amy's influence and now it appears it's for nothing.

I'd be interested in seeing a combination of A) Sheldon realizes he's not going to "get over" Amy any easier than he can get over anything else (and really, maybe that's where some of the anger and desperation is coming from), and B) he realizes that despite that, the relationship was a good thing in his life that helped him grow and he's grateful for it no matter what happens.

Obviously I'm on Team "Let Sheldon grow!" But I think you can do that and still find funny jokes.

• Love 1

I totally forgot about TBBT being on Monday last week, so I missed this episode. Then reading all the negative reviews here I didn't bother watching it online.

Then last night I watched the 2nd episode and enjoyed it. So I found this one online and watched and was surprised to find myself liking it. 

I didn't realize that the gang got to watch the wedding online.  And the vows were kinda sweet.

It wasn't perfect, but not horrible either.

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 2

I think the consensus is that Sheldon kind of deserves it and Amy should have broken up with him a long time ago. Until he grows quite a bit, she deserves better.

To be fair, Amy is pretty immature too. I don't think that she deserves better.

And sometimes, an asshole is an asshole. I have zero sympathy for Sheldon; he deserves any comeuppance he gets, and this episode did nothing to change my feelings. He kept after Amy, not because he was trying to understand her feelings, but because her decision inconvenienced him. This is the guy who blackmailed Leonard -- his roommate and supposed best friend -- and Priya because they bested him in the roommate agreement.

Except for the Howard/Bernadette fist bump, this was a staggeringly unfunny episode. I like Penny and Leonard together, when they're happy and playful, but episodes like this, when they're angsty, just make me want them to be over and move on with their lives.

At least there was minimal Raj and none of his unlikable girlfriend.

I don't think so, since Amy

1) only said a brief line about the reason she was upset with him

2) was upset because his mind drifted off to Flash while he was making out with her (surely she would have known that Sheldon's mind is overactive and since that was likely their first make out session, it is not going to be perfect of course, it could have been much worse)

3) didn't communicate with him for over a day until dropping that bombshell

4) didn't specify on "I need some time to think"

5) due to that, he wasn't invited to his best friends' wedding ceremony, that probably wouldn't have happened (that soon) if it wasn't for him

As for the roommate agreement, Leonard was right up until the point when he intentionally started using the holes in it to make Sheldon feel bad, rather than simply make himself feel better. And for Priya, the issue about her introducing him to her parents would have arosed sooner or later-better sooner in my opinion. The longer the relationship based on secrets and deception lasts, the worse it gets for both people involved. Leonard should have broken up with her as soon as Sheldon had forced the issue, but he didn't-and we know how the relationship turned out. Sheldon had almost saved him a lot of heartache.

I've also read one post claiming that Amy never gets what she wants: Valentine's Day, movies etc. Although the claim itself is debatable, examples written are incorrect. It has been established in the show that Sheldon partakes in gift giving traditions  with her, including the ones relating to the Valentine's Day, and likely watches the movies that she wants with her too at times (due to his knowledge about her movie preferences, mostly old French movies).