Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

Casting news from Variety:

‘The Crown’ Casts Its Prince William and Kate Middleton for Season 6

Two actors have been cast as the young prince: 16-year-old Rufus Kampa and 21-year-old Ed McVey. Meanwhile Meg Bellamy will play Kate Middleton.

It will also feature [Dominic] West’s son Senan West as a young Prince William (aged around 11). Teddy Hawley and Will Powell will both play a young Prince Harry at different ages.

There are photos and other casting info at the site I linked above.

• Useful 1

‘The Crown’ to Pause Filming Following Queen Elizabeth II’s Death ‘Out of Respect’

“The Crown” is being put on hold after the sudden death of Queen Elizabeth II.

The history-making monarch, who died September 8 at age 96, is at the center of the Netflix series’ dramatization of her life, legacy, and career as the Queen of England. “The Crown” creator Peter Morgan released a statement following the queen’s passing.

“‘The Crown’ is a love letter to her and I’ve nothing to add for now, just silence and respect,” Morgan wrote, via Deadline. “I expect we will stop filming out of respect too.”

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 1:14 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

November , 2022?   My God, people are going to die before this series is finished!

@Quilt Fairy Can you get us this week's Powerball numbers?

I was searching backwards in this thread (which is how I came across the quote above!) to see if anything had been posted about filming being completed on Season 5. I didn't find any official confirmation, but with an announced S5 premiere in November, 2022 I'd have to assume that S5 is in post-production and they've been filming S6. I doubt a short pause would affect when S5 drops. 🤞

• Love 2

Perhaps the casting of Charles Tre and Camilla were peace offerings to what may continue to be their trash story.

Wonder what Dominic looks like grimacing and shooting eye darts over a small tray? If there was a way on this Earth to make that look attractive ...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It's going to take me literally the entire season, if I even do get there, to separate QE from Umbridge (the 80s/90s glasses in the scenes when she's wearing them, help) but that aside, the trailer looks amazing and I am super excited for The Crown Season [I actually remember as it was happening].

• Like 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, JessDVD said:

It's going to take me literally the entire season, if I even do get there, to separate QE from Umbridge (the 80s/90s glasses in the scenes when she's wearing them, help) but that aside, the trailer looks amazing and I am super excited for The Crown Season [I actually remember as it was happening].

I have been nervous about this casting since it was announced for exactly that reason.

I thought her voice at the beginning of the trailer was reasonably different from her voice as Umbridge, but then at the end I felt she slipped back into it and all I heard was Umbridge.

14 minutes ago, Fool to cry said:

The money shot will probably be young William watching the interview.

I really hope they show how the whole mess affected the boys. Diana and Charles, mostly Diana since I feel Charles would never have played the mess out publicly if Diana wasn’t using the press to get people on her side, really did a disservice to William and Harry. More then Diana or Charles, I feel sorry for them throughout the mess of the war of the wales.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Well, Netflix put a disclaimer on the trailer due to all the backlash so 🙄😥

11 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I really hope they show how the whole mess affected the boys. Diana and Charles, mostly Diana since I feel Charles would never have played the mess out publicly if Diana wasn’t using the press to get people on her side, really did a disservice to William and Harry. More then Diana or Charles, I feel sorry for them throughout the mess of the war of the wales.

While it was horrible for William and Harry to plebe stuck in the middle, one should take in account that Diana didn’t really have anyone on her side, at least not in The Firm. All attempts to “help” her were halfhearted at best, and whatever sympathy the other royals had for her, in the end, they just told her to suck it up and keep quiet. So being that isolated and alone made her vulnerable to bad decisions. Just saying.

• Love 4

I don't think KC3 has anything to worry about. Unlike Josh O'Connor, Dominic West looks and sounds so far from him people probably won't believe that's what happened! Nobody's going to look at the square jaw and broad shoulders and see the guy the world thought got lucky in his marriage despite being a prince!

Edited by Fool to cry
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, endure said:

"The time has come for Netflix to reconsider — for the sake of a family and a nation so recently bereaved, as a mark of respect to a sovereign who served her people so dutifully for 70 years, and to preserve its reputation in the eyes of its British subscribers".  

Frankly, I think this show has been quite favorable to the late monarch and, transitively, to the institution.  

• Like 2
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

"The time has come for Netflix to reconsider — for the sake of a family and a nation so recently bereaved, as a mark of respect to a sovereign who served her people so dutifully for 70 years, and to preserve its reputation in the eyes of its British subscribers".  

Frankly, I think this show has been quite favorable to the late monarch and, transitively, to the institution.  

The show had gone out of its way to guild the Lilibet (TM Tomandlorenzo).

People around the queen can look like jerks but the queen always comes off quite good in comparison.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

"In an open letter to The Times UK, the Oscar winner slammed the Netflix original for its "inaccurate and harmful account of history" and "crude sensationalism". 

I agree, it's been inaccurate.  They didn't disclose that Anthony Blount kept his job for years even after his role as a Soviet spy was discovered.  They also portrayed Mountbatten as some kind of war hero when he was anything but.  And I doubt we'll be hearing Charles & Camilla's phone sex talk.  Judi Dench should STFU, it could be a lot worse.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

"In an open letter to The Times UK, the Oscar winner slammed the Netflix original for its "inaccurate and harmful account of history" and "crude sensationalism". 

I agree, it's been inaccurate.  They didn't disclose that Anthony Blount kept his job for years even after his role as a Soviet spy was discovered.  They also portrayed Mountbatten as some kind of war hero when he was anything but.  And I doubt we'll be hearing Charles & Camilla's phone sex talk.  Judi Dench should STFU, it could be a lot worse.

Absolutely.

I love Dame Judy Dench but she is being ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

Yea Judi Dench should shut the hell up.

I'm excited for the show to come back but I still can’t get over Dominic West as Charles. Horrible casting. 

Edited by Marley
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

I am in the minority in not having a problem with Judi’s request.  I’ve seen a ton of shows add the disclaimer, and I’ve read tons of comments that happily reference The Crown as gospel.  I don’t know why The Crown has fought it.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I am in the minority in not having a problem with Judi’s request.  I’ve seen a ton of shows add the disclaimer, and I’ve read tons of comments that happily reference The Crown as gospel.  I don’t know why The Crown has fought it.

Right there with you. I'm actually glad they added the disclaimer though I'm not sure Judi Dench's letter was the main cause. But good for her to speak up. She did not ask for the show to get cancelled - so I don't get the anger 🤷‍♂️

• Love 5

I watched the trailer twice but did not see a content warning.  But apparently Netflix felt obliged to issue a statement about the matter.  

‘Fictional Dramatization’: Netflix Adds Disclaimer To ‘The Crown’ Season 5 Trailer After Weeks Of Pressure

Addressing complaints about the show’s purported historical inaccuracies in a statement to the press, Netflix said: “Series five is a fictional dramatization, imagining what could have happened behind closed doors during a significant decade for the royal family — one that has already been scrutinized and well-documented by journalists, biographers and historians.”

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

It should have been there from the beginning - Law & Order has it on every show.  Will it do much?  Maybe not, other than make it a little harder for people to be willfully ignorant about fact vs. fiction.

• Love 3

Please note - this is the topic for Media discussion of The Crown. Posts have been removed. Posting about the show, the disclaimer, Dame Judi Dench's letter are appropriate; commenting on Charles and Diana's marriage, current British politics, Camilla and Charles, other movies or shows on the subject of the BRF - are off topic.

Please note that posts may be removed without notice. As always, discussion of moderation actions in topic is not allowed. Please PM the forum mods, @Athenaand @saoirse with questions. Thank you.

While I agree that the recast of Diana is pitch perfect for this season. I can tell the difference between her and the real one!

I am looking forward to this season as I was no longer wee for the period they are covering.

But I do agree, wholeheartedly that West is so wrong as Prince Charles.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

It's only in the Youtube description box.  Which most people wouldn't read anyway.

Hmmm, okay.  Thanks.  I think a lot of people are on edge because of Elizabeth's passing coinciding with the release of season 5.  Regardless of how accurate/inaccurate the show is, people are going to relive the lowest points of the House of Windsor in living memory.  

On 10/20/2022 at 8:14 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Burn them all, Diana.

Unique, complex, extraordinary, and irreplaceable.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Elizabeth Debicki looks like Diana, but her height is very distracting to me. Diana was tall, but she wasn't 6'3"!

Diana was 5’10”, same as Charles. Which is why she didn’t wear heels around him and “shrunk” next to him as not to appear taller.

According to the article Jonathan Pryce is “hugely disappointed by my fellow artists.” He did not mention Dench by name, but she was the latest actor to openly condemn the Netflix series.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-10-27/the-crown-jonathan-pryce-judi-dench-netflix

It does seem hypocritical of an actor who made their living portraying others to suddenly criticize and demand a disclaimer.  I'm sure Queen Victoria would have loved both of Dench's films featuring her dalliances with male servants.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Razzberry said:

According to the article Jonathan Pryce is “hugely disappointed by my fellow artists.” He did not mention Dench by name, but she was the latest actor to openly condemn the Netflix series.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2022-10-27/the-crown-jonathan-pryce-judi-dench-netflix

It does seem hypocritical of an actor who made their living portraying others to suddenly criticize and demand a disclaimer.  I'm sure Queen Victoria would have loved both of Dench's films featuring her dalliances with male servants.

Well said.

I love Dench but the hypocrisy is annoying.

You can't have a show because the King's wife is my friend.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I'm sure Queen Victoria's descendents including Queen Elizabeth loved that too.

• Like 1
  • Love 3