Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

I'm not surprised that those royal experts have gone public in defense of the PoW. They know how their professional bread is buttered, and their careers may hang on continued access to and cooperation from Palace sources. That said, I agree that this season puts the PoW in a bad light, and I'm sure there are valid points to be made about historical inaccuracies. IMO he was IRL self-centered, but OTOH by the time he married Diana, he had founded the Prince's Trust and developed interests beyond his own garden at Highgrove or shagging Camilla.

And, anyway, this TV show is drama. Fiction. Entertainment. To be taken with a chill pill by those inclined to get upset about it. 

Edited by Jeeves
Punctuation. It's a thing.
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm not surprised that those royal experts have gone public in defense of the PoW. They know how their professional bread is buttered, and their careers may hang on continued access to and cooperation from Palace sources. That said, I agree that this season puts the PoW in a bad light. and I'm sure there are valid points to be made about historical inaccuracies. IMO he was IRL self-centered, but OTOH by the time he married Diana, he had founded the Prince's Trust and developed interests beyond his own garden at Highgrove or shagging Camilla.

And, anyway, this TV show is drama. Fiction. Entertainment. To be taken with a chill pill by those inclined to get upset about it. 

This show really has glossed over the charity work the royals do.  I don't know why they expected season 4 to be different.  We only see the rest of the royals doing events as they pertain to the overall plot of the episode.  The show did drop hints about Charles having engagements and being involved with gardens, health food, etc.  If you paid attention they were there.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

They know how their professional bread is buttered

Hah, I just came from the most recent Amazing Race thread and read that as ". .how their professional beard is buttered."  If you watch TAR you'll know why I did that. 

• LOL 1
On 10/14/2020 at 6:30 PM, merylinkid said:

Yeah WHY create something new for a historical event?    My big issue is it fits perfectly.   It's well known that Diana lost so much weight before the wedding that the dress didn't fit right.   Especially at the shoulders.   Honestly if they leave out the bulimia in order to paint Charles as the poor misunderstood victim of all this I will LOSE IT.    Diana was no saint.   She really had her issues.   But Charles was no saint either.   

Spoiler

It's pretty safe to say that no, this season did not try to display Charles as a poor misunderstood soul.

• Love 1

The Hollywood Reporter has compiled a number of year-end "best of" lists including the "Best TV Performances of 2020."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/hollywood-reporter-critics-pick-the-best-tv-performances-of-2020

Emma Corrin, The Crown (Netflix)
Even if you remembered Corrin from her charming series-opening arc on Epix’s Pennyworth, there was little that could have prepared you for the star-wattage she radiated in her one season as Diana, Princess of Wales, on The Crown. There's room to interpret Corrin's Diana as anything from a deer-in-the-headlights ingenue to a clever, self-promoting temptress, and the bridging of that gap is all happening in the actress’ eyes — even while she's dancing, roller-skating or hunting her way through another decade in this impeccably acted prestige drama. (And yes, Olivia Colman, Tobias Menzies, Josh O'Connor and Erin Doherty were all superb this year as well.) — D.F.

• Love 3

https://people.com/royals/imelda-staunton-extra-challenge-playing-queen-the-crown/?utm_campaign=peopleroyals&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=5ff48f693ec0900001fa3a23&fbclid=IwAR02EugQJOeIaVd7hT0ROoWuo7lNbAG5aAHJIncPQO3v-TYQ_hizNxaonFc

Staunton also revealed her stance on whether or not The Crown should add a fictional disclaimer at the beginning of the show, as was proposed by U.K. government’s Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden last month.

"I think that is up to producers and directors," Staunton said. "This isn’t verbatim; this isn’t taken from diaries. You’ve got to use your imagination, and I’d like to allow the audience a bit of intelligence. You can’t know that’s what Margaret and Elizabeth were talking about."

Netflix has also retorted that they have "no plans" to add a disclaimer.

• Love 1

Golden Globe nominations!

BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA

BEST ACTRESS TV SERIES – DRAMA - Olivia Colman

BEST ACTRESS TV SERIES – DRAMA - Emma Corrin

BEST ACTOR TV SERIES – DRAMA - Josh O’Connor

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – SERIES, MINISERIES OR TELEVISION FILM - Gillian Anderson

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS – SERIES, MINISERIES OR TELEVISION FILM - Helena Bonham Carter

And two of the Crown cast have also been nominated in the movie categories!

BEST ACTRESS – DRAMA - Vanessa Kirby,  “Pieces of a Woman”

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A MOTION PICTURE - Olivia Colman, “The Father”

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's an embarrassment Gillian Anderson's parody (I use this word because it in no way resembled a performance) of Margaret Thatcher is getting all of this undeserved award recognition while Rhea Seehorn's amazing work on Better Call Saul is consistently ignored.  Helena Bonham Carter is always great but she was barely utilized this season on The Crown and her episode wasn't strong enough for her to justify a nomination.

• Love 2

SAG Award nominations!

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series - Josh O'Connor

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Gillian Anderson

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Olivia Colman

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Emma Corrin

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

BEST DRAMA SERIES

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Josh O'Connor

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Olivia Colman

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Emma Corrin

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Tobias Menzies

EST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Gillian Anderson

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

BEST DRAMA SERIES

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Josh O'Connor

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Olivia Colman

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Emma Corrin

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES - Tobias Menzies

EST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES - Gillian Anderson

I think Emma and Josh might win, they should certainly be considered.

I need to look and see who they are up against!

• Love 1

It's amazing that they're putting Emma and Josh in the lead categories. But they're getting in everywhere! Critics Choice, SAG, Golden Globes.

I think Emma is going to be winning some stuff over Colman, which is stunning. But I can see it happening. I think she could even win the Emmy over her.

• Love 1
On 2/11/2021 at 9:02 PM, ruby24 said:

It's amazing that they're putting Emma and Josh in the lead categories. But they're getting in everywhere! Critics Choice, SAG, Golden Globes.

I think Emma is going to be winning some stuff over Colman, which is stunning. But I can see it happening. I think she could even win the Emmy over her.

Honestly they were leaps and bounds better than any of the senior royals cast.

I hope they both win!

Emma Corrin and Josh O’Connor took Best Actress and Best Actor in a TV series - Drama, while Gillian Anderson took Best Supporting Actress. And the show itself took Best Drama Series tonight at the Golden Globes. Congratulations to all!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, benteen said:

Josh was great, Gillian was terrible and is getting the award love strictly on reputation alone.

I don't know, I watched the Streep version after everyone was talking about it here, but I actually preferred Gillian's.  That is what Thatcher sounded like, and she did well with the emotional stuff (son/daughter/getting ousted)

I love the Emma won too, she nailed that role.

4 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

If he wants his privacy so badly, what's he doing on a talk show?

I don't think he said he wanted privacy.  He wanted to avoid the intrusive and racist harassment of the press following them everywhere and making up lies.  

That doesn't mean he plans to never engage, although the pandemic has switched "normal" up by quite a lot.

• Love 10

All this drama coming from the royals about the Oprah interview. I have to admit, I really don't understand why they hate her so much. What did she do that was so bad?

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

All this drama coming from the royals about the Oprah interview. I have to admit, I really don't understand why they hate her so much. What did she do that was so bad?

Pretty much sums up to be she's half black, divorced, and "not one of us dear."

• Love 5
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Umbelina said:

Pretty much sums up to be she's half black, divorced, and "not one of us dear."

I don't blame Meghan one bit for not wanting to live in England. Some of the TV commentators as well as the British press said horrible, terribly racist things about her, sometimes in a dog whistle way but their meaning was clear enough.  The one I remember speculated on whether her baby was going to be a monkey.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Sad 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't blame Meghan one bit for not wanting to live in England. Some of the TV commentators as well as the British press said horrible, terribly racist things about her, sometimes in a dog whistle way but their meaning was clear enough.  The one I remember speculated on whether her baby was going to be a monkey.

They still are.  At least it's no longer in person.

• Love 3

Critics' Choice Award wins!

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series - Josh O'Connor

Best Actress in a Drama Series - Emma Corrin

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Gillian Anderson

And not for The Crown, but Emereld Fennell also won a CCA tonight for best original screenplay for Promising Young Woman.

• Love 2

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television

“Better Call Saul” (AMC) – Season 5
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Bridgerton” – (Netflix) – Season 1
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Crown” (Netflix) – Season 4
Producers: Peter Morgan, Suzanne Mackie, Stephen Daldry, Andy Harries, Benjamin Caron, Matthew Byam Shaw, Robert Fox, Michael Casey, Andy Stebbing, Martin Harrison, Oona O’Beirn

“The Mandalorian” (Disney Plus) – Season 2
Producers: Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, Colin Wilson, Karen Gilchrist, John Bartnicki, Carrie Beck

“Ozark” (Netflix) – Season 3
Producers: Jason Bateman, Chris Mundy, Bill Dubuque, Mark Williams, Patrick Markey, John Shiban, Miki Johnson, Matthew Spiegel, Erin Mitchell, Martin Zimmerman, Peter Thorell

Producers Guild of America award!

Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television:

“The Crown” (Netflix) – Season 4 – WINNER
Producers: Peter Morgan, Suzanne Mackie, Stephen Daldry, Andy Harries, Benjamin Caron, Matthew Byam Shaw, Robert Fox, Michael Casey, Andy Stebbing, Martin Harrison, Oona O’Beirn 

• Love 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Period Television
Bridgerton: "Diamond of the First Water" – Ellen Mirojnick & John W. Glaser III
The Crown: "Terra Nullius" – Amy Roberts
Lovecraft Country: "I Am." – Dayna Pink
Mrs. America: "Shirley" – Bina Daigeler
The Queen's Gambit: "End Game" – Gabriele Binder

Emmy nominations are out - 24 total.

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - 2021
"Fairytale"
Adriano Goldman, ASC, BSC, ABC, Director of Photography

Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series - 2021
Claire Foy, as Queen Elizabeth II
"48:1"

Outstanding Period Costumes - 2021
"Terra Nullius"
Amy Roberts, Costume Designer
Sidonie Roberts, Assistant Costume Designer
Giles Gale, Costume Supervisor

Outstanding Drama Series - 2021

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - 2021
"Fairytale"
Benjamin Caron, Directed by

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - 2021
"Fairytale"
Lee Walpole, Re-Recording Mixer
Stuart Hilliker, Re-Recording Mixer
Martin Jensen, Re-Recording Mixer
Chris Ashworth, Production Mixer

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - 2021
"War"
Jessica Hobbs, Directed by

Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Single Episode - 2021
"Gold Stick"
Ben Turner, Overall VFX Supervisor
Reece Ewing, Overall VFX Producer
Andrew Scrase, VFX Supervisor
Standish Millennas, VFX Producer
Oliver Bersey, Compositing Supervisor
Jonathan Wood, VFX Supervisor
David Fleet, VFX Supervisor
Joe Cork, VFX Supervisor
Garrett Honn, VFX Supervisor

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021
"Avalanche"
Paulo Pandolpho, Editor

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - 2021
"War"
Peter Morgan, Written by

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - 2021
"Fairytale"
Yan Miles, ACE, Editor

Outstanding Music Supervision - 2021
"Fairytale"
Sarah Bridge, Music Supervisor

Outstanding Period And/Or Character Hairstyling - 2021
"War"
Cate Hall, Department Head Hairstylist
Emilie Yong Mills, Assistant Department Head Hairstylist
Sam Smart, Key Hairstylist
Suzanne David, Key Hairstylist
Debbie Ormrod, Key Hairstylist
Stacey Louise Holman, Key Hairstylist

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - 2021
"The Balmoral Test"
Martin Phipps, Composer

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series - 2021
Josh O'Connor, as Prince Charles

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series - 2021
Olivia Colman, as Queen Elizabeth II

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series - 2021
Emma Corrin, as Princess Diana

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - 2021
Tobias Menzies, as Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series - 2021
Gillian Anderson, as Margaret Thatcher

Helena Bonham Carter, as Princess Margaret

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More) - 2021
"War"
Martin Childs, Production Designer
Mark Raggett, Art Director
Alison Harvey, Set Decorator

Emerald Fennell, as Camilla Parker Bowles

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series - 2021
Robert Sterne, Casting by

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Drama Series - 2021
Charles Dance, as Lord Mountbatten
"Gold Stick"

https://ew.com/tv/the-crown-imelda-staunton-queen-elizabeth-ii/

First image of Imelda Staunton from Season 5.  Hair looks perfect.  I hope I can see her as something other than Dolores Umbridge.

Jonathan Pryce as Phillip, Elizabeth Debicki as Diana, Dominic West as Charles.  Will be interesting to see how Debicki and West do as Diana and Charles after the powerhouse performances of Emma Corrin and Josh O'Connor.  Especially West... Josh O'Connor was perfect casting, he had the awkward dorkiness combined with trying to take charge, and physically he seemed like a good match with the weird looks and the ears.  Physically I think West is a very poor match for Charles, but I guess we will have to see how it goes.  

And, oddly, Jonny Lee Miller as John Major.  Wonder how that casting came about.

• Love 6