Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

I wish they could have just aged up most of the actors, especially since they aren't going to take us up to modern days. 

DW is far too attractive and strapping a man to play the whiny, hangdog and decidedly not that hot Charles. Josh could have been aged up easily with a bit of gray hair and makeup.

It's silly to recast Diana when Emma was already playing Diana into her early 30s and she dies at age 36. Not to mention she was so smashing in the role.

I wish Helen Mirren could have reprised the Queen as she was perfection. I can only see Imelda as Dolores or Mrs. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility. I suspect she will be much more of an adjustment than Olivia was vs Claire.

staunton.jpg

On 7/13/2021 at 11:26 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think Claire Foy as Outstanding Guest Actress is a bit of a stretch.  She had one 2-3 minute speech.  Surely there were other actresses more deserving.

Well, Judi Dench got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for eight minutes of screen time. 

• Love 7
23 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I wish they could have just aged up most of the actors, especially since they aren't going to take us up to modern days. 

DW is far too attractive and strapping a man to play the whiny, hangdog and decidedly not that hot Charles. Josh could have been aged up easily with a bit of gray hair and makeup.

It's silly to recast Diana when Emma was already playing Diana into her early 30s and she dies at age 36. Not to mention she was so smashing in the role.

I wish Helen Mirren could have reprised the Queen as she was perfection. I can only see Imelda as Dolores or Mrs. Palmer in Sense and Sensibility. I suspect she will be much more of an adjustment than Olivia was vs Claire.

staunton.jpg

Agreed about O'Connor and Corrin, I think the show easily could have kept them.  Especially since, as you say, Diana dies at 36 so she will almost certainly appear only in Season 5 and not 6.  Corrin didn't appear until Season 4 so she could easily have stuck around for Season 5.  But I'm guessing the recasting is just falling in line with the universal "we replace the actors every two seasons and that's what is done on this show".

Completely agree about Dominic West... physically he is all wrong for this role.  They need someone a lot more awkward and dorky looking for Charles.

22 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Well, Judi Dench got a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for eight minutes of screen time. 

Timewise, I agree with you... but Dench made the most of her minutes, and her role was arguably of some degree of importance, since Elizabeth was the inspiration for the plays.  But honestly, I think the real reason she won is because the Academy was trying to alleviate the wrong of the year before when they gave Helen Hunt the Best Actress Oscar instead of Dench for her amazing performance in "Mrs. Brown".

Claire Foy's performance here was not only unremarkable but it was completely unnecessary.  It was done merely for a "oh how nice, they brought her back" moment.  There was nothing remotely "Guest Actress Emmy" worthy about those two minutes.  (I say the same about Don Cheadle for "The Falcon and the Winter Soldier".)  It's more for just getting her back onto the show.

If Cicely Tyson could never win the Guest Actress Emmy for her many powerful turns year after year on "How To Get Away With Murder", I will be incredibly pissed if Claire Foy wins it for this nothing-special two minutes. 

• Love 8

Netflix released a featurette a couple of days ago on Season 4, interviews with cast and crew, info on costume design, set decoration, historical research,etc. The video clocks in at 28:28. 

Triumph and Tragedy: The Crown Tackles the Modern Era | Netflix

The cast and crew of Netflix's Emmy®-winning drama series The Crown discuss season four's themes of celebrity and hidden torment, the introduction of Margaret Thatcher and Diana Spencer, the evolution of others like Prince Charles and the Queen herself and the tragic unraveling of one of the greatest love stories of the 20th Century.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

the tragic unraveling of one of the greatest love stories of the 20th Century

If they're talking about Charles and Diana here, it wasn't exactly a love story. But I get they don't want to frame it as "the tragic unraveling of one of the greatest mismatches of the 20th Century," lol.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

If they're talking about Charles and Diana here, it wasn't exactly a love story. But I get they don't want to frame it as "the tragic unraveling of one of the greatest mismatches of the 20th Century," lol.

I thought  the same when they said that in the video. My reaction was, "Who, Charles and Camilla?"

😄

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I gasped when I saw Elizabeth Debicki’s Diana. It’s almost like she’s back from the dead!!!!!

Elizabeth Debicki looks great.  Hairstyling and makeup department did a great job!

However, Dominic West looks completely wrong as Prince Charles.  Charles should be all awkward and ears, looking more like Alfred E. Neuman than how he looks in this photo.  He looks like he is at a GQ photoshoot.  Not what I picture when I think of Charles.

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Elizabeth Debicki looks great.  Hairstyling and makeup department did a great job!

However, Dominic West looks completely wrong as Prince Charles.  Charles should be all awkward and ears, looking more like Alfred E. Neuman than how he looks in this photo.  He looks like he is at a GQ photoshoot.  Not what I picture when I think of Charles.

This is how Prince Charles wished he looked like.

DW just exudes manliness where he should be projecting dorkiness to do a proper Charles.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, qtpye said:

DW just exudes manliness where he should be projecting dorkiness to do a proper Charles.

I think Charles has aged well.   If they added some gray to his hair DW would be a good Charles at 60, but not the 40-something he is going to be in S5. 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think Charles has aged well.   If they added some gray to his hair DW would be a good Charles at 60, but not the 40-something he is going to be in S5. 

I agree. Charles in his 40s was still kind of twerpy-looking, IMO. He lost most of it somewhere along the line and now I think he looks like the slightly out-of-touch heir to the throne he is.

• Love 10

So Netflix posted this deleted scene of Diana’s “All I Ask of You” in full.

I actually thought Emma did a pretty good job. And I love the detail of Michael Crawford (it had to be him at the time) in full Phantom garb watching Diana sing from backstage.

• Love 6
On 9/13/2021 at 5:40 PM, ProudMary said:

I would have said every awards recognition for this show is deserved, but it seems a bit of a stretch to give Claire Foy a Guest Actress Emmy for what amounted to a two minute cameo.  I believe some of this time was even merely a voiceover.  She didn't even do any acting, she just sat at a desk and read lines from a piece of paper.

I guess if Emma Corrin beats Olivia Colman this year, then the Emmy voters can give Olivia a Guest Actress award when she shows up in a flashback sequence in Season 6.  Although I'm not counting out Olivia Colman, awards shows seem to love her. 

And I'm disappointed that neither Vanessa Kirby nor Helena Bonham Carter will have ever won for their fantastic portrayals of Princess Margaret. 

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I would have said every awards recognition for this show is deserved, but it seems a bit of a stretch to give Claire Foy a Guest Actress Emmy for what amounted to a two minute cameo.  I believe some of this time was even merely a voiceover.  She didn't even do any acting, she just sat at a desk and read lines from a piece of paper.

I guess if Emma Corrin beats Olivia Colman this year, then the Emmy voters can give Olivia a Guest Actress award when she shows up in a flashback sequence in Season 6.  Although I'm not counting out Olivia Colman, awards shows seem to love her. 

And I'm disappointed that neither Vanessa Kirby nor Helena Bonham Carter will have ever won for their fantastic portrayals of Princess Margaret. 

I agree. Both did a great job.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

Elizabeth Debicki photographed in a copy of Diana's famous black, off-the-shoulders, "Revenge Dress."

https://www.popsugar.com/fashion/princess-diana-revenge-dress-the-crown-season-5-48593271

I showed the pics to my mom. She asked, “Which one is the real picture of Diana?” I told her neither, they were both Elizabeth Debicki. Needless to say, Mom was impressed.

I cannot wait to see that episode. Sometimes the best revenge is looking like a total smokeshow.

• Love 5
On 11/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, qtpye said:

Still do not see it.

His acting will have to make up for the utter lack of resemblance beyond they are both white men with brown hair.  He is still too sexy.

I’m sure RL Prince Charles is thrilled. I read somewhere that DW’s son is going to play Prince William. 

• Useful 1
On 8/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, qtpye said:

I remember someone (I think it  was the infamous designer Blackwell) who said "if he was a plumber's apprentice and not the Prince of Wales, NO ONE would consider that jug-eared idiot handsome."

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 8/17/2021 at 2:56 PM, blackwing said:

However, Dominic West looks completely wrong as Prince Charles.  Charles should be all awkward and ears, looking more like Alfred E. Neuman than how he looks in this photo. 

I forget what comedian said it, but it was something along the lines of "if that bloke Charles were a plumber, no one would be saying he was handsome."

• Love 4

‘The Crown’ Prequel: Discussions Begin Between Netflix and Producer Left Bank

Netflix and “The Crown” producer Left Bank Pictures have been in discussions over a prequel to the British royal drama series, a source confirmed Friday. However, the prequel is not in development nor greenlit.

The prequel would start with the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, and would run up to where “The Crown” began, which was with the wedding of Queen Elizabeth II in 1947. “The Crown” creator Peter Morgan would also pen the prequel, which would run for three to five seasons, according to a report in the Daily Mail, described by Variety’s source as “speculative.”

The period covers the reigns of four kings in 50 years: Edward VII (1901-10), George V (1910-36), Edward VIII (1936), and George VI (1936-52).

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 6/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, PRgal said:

Wait, so just how FAR in this century are they going to go?  I always thought they'd be ending with Charles and Camilla's wedding or something like that. 

Given that William and Kate were an item then, they could be ending there, Kate attended the wedding as William's girlfriend.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Daily Mail says:    "The Crown's Dominic West is the spitting image of Prince Charles".   To convince any sceptics they post a sneak peek pic to prove it?

DWest.jpg.414c4bf0187c6b865845f2880013236f.jpg

WTF are they smoking?   🤦‍♀️

Edited by Razzberry
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 13
9 hours ago, Razzberry said:

The Daily Mail says:    "The Crown's Dominic West is the spitting image of Prince Charles".   To convince any sceptics they post a sneak peek pic to prove it?

Yikes that is some bad casting. For a show that usually does pretty good with casting this is a huge failure.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 6/6/2022 at 5:12 PM, Razzberry said:

20 hours ago, Marley said:

Yikes that is some bad casting. For a show that usually does pretty good with casting this is a huge failure.

It makes me think that they are going to present Charles as more gallant and dashing than he has ever been in real life.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Marley said:

I googled Prince Charles in his 40s and this pic came up. Like it’s not even close. Prince Charles wishes maybe lol.

E3C251FB-C4E5-46A6-84CE-5BD60DD38C73.jpeg

Absolutely right.

We're currently watching "The Staircase" on HBO.  Charles wishes he looks like Dominic West almost as much as Michael Peterson wishes he looks like Colin Firth.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

We're currently watching "The Staircase" on HBO.  Charles wishes he looks like Dominic West almost as much as Michael Peterson wishes he looks like Colin Firth.

OMG, that's why I stopped watching The Staircase after one episode.  Colin Firth looks nothing like Michael Peterson physically, and I just can't suspend my disbelief.  They needed someone smaller, skinnier, and with a higher voice. 

The one thing I will say about Charles is that he has gotten better looking as he's aged.  Not handsome, but better looking.  I think he's more comfortable in his own skin now. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 6/1/2022 at 10:37 AM, PRgal said:

Wait, so just how FAR in this century are they going to go?  I always thought they'd be ending with Charles and Camilla's wedding or something like that. 

What I read is The Crown will now end in 2005 with the wedding of Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla. It was apparently going to end is in 2002 when the Queen lost both her mother and her sister.

According to the article "sources also say the door is open to a sequel covering the brothers and their dad. [...] Just a few things that have happened since Charles and Camilla's wedding. Prince William's marriage to Kate Middleton, Prince Andrew's scandal(s), Prince Philip's death, and Prince Harry's marriage to Meghan Markle and their subsequent departure from the royal family."

ttps://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a40663793/the-crown-ending-explosive-royal-wedding-sequel/

I hope really hope that they don't do a sequel.

Edited by Fireball
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4