Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

Here is a Mirror article on the show:

• Claire Foy as Elizabeth (E.R. II) and John Lithgow as Winston Churchill
  • Matt Smith will play Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
  • Writer Peter Morgan (The Queen, Frost/Nixon) with director Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot, The Hours) and producer Andy Harries (The Queen).
  • Ten episodes for 2016

It has been reported that the show is ‘the largest television undertaking in the history of broadcasting' - at around £100 million.

Matt and Claire were on The Graham Norton Show episode which aired this past weekend in the UK. For American viewers who have BBCA, it should be airing this weekend. They were one of the best aspects of the episode for me. They have a lot of chemistry in real life too and clearly like being around each other as friends.

• Love 1
On November 6, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Jeeves said:

See How the Actors on The Crown Compare to Their Real-Life Counterparts - side by side photos.

I think the resemblance between Alex Jennings and the Duke of Windsor is almost scary, it's so close. 

Their resemblance is incredible, and they even sound very similar!

The actress playing the Queen Mother, on the other hand has little resemblance, and it almost a takes me out of the story. I remember a 1970s show or miniseries on the abdication crisis, and the actress in that had a strong resemblance. 

I think some of the casting choices are excellent, others not so much.  Matt Smith as Phillip is a complete miss for me -- his facial structure is just all wrong.  I also think, while they are good actors, Claire Foy is NOT as beautiful as the young Elizabeth, and ditto for Margaret.  Lithgow is just too tall for Churchill and it really shows in almost every scene where he's next to other characters.  I can't fault his portrayal otherwise.

And Greg Wise as Mountbatten: be still my heart!  Mountbatten was a very handsome man, and Greg Wise has the same characteristics so a definite win/win.

Edited by DHDancer
On 11/10/2016 at 3:51 PM, DHDancer said:

I also think, while they are good actors, Claire Foy is NOT as beautiful as the young Elizabeth, and ditto for Margaret. 

Well, vice versa for me.  I think the actor portraying Margaret, in particular, is a stunner.  And ditto on Ben Miles being a dead ringer for Peter Townsend.

• Love 2

The weird thing is I think Ben Miles IS a dead ringer for Peter Townsend, and I think Townsend was gorgeous in real life, but I find myself wishing Jon Hamm or someone 'off the charts Hollywood gorgeous' played him, because 'real life gorgeous' just isn't on the same scale, so he seems a little plain in the role, given how beautiful Margaret is and pretty much all of them are.  

16 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

The weird thing is I think Ben Miles IS a dead ringer for Peter Townsend, and I think Townsend was gorgeous in real life, but I find myself wishing Jon Hamm or someone 'off the charts Hollywood gorgeous' played him, because 'real life gorgeous' just isn't on the same scale, so he seems a little plain in the role, given how beautiful Margaret is and pretty much all of them are.  

I don't find Ben Miles evenly remotely attractive. And his dyed too dark hair was really distracting. I'm fine with the casting though...I'm fine with everyone except Philip--that nose! it's all wrong. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

I don't find Ben Miles evenly remotely attractive. And his dyed too dark hair was really distracting. I'm fine with the casting though...I'm fine with everyone except Philip--that nose! it's all wrong. 

I'm fine with him.  It's QETQM that throws me.  She doesn't look like her, she doesn't seem to be like the real QM (only knew of her from her elderly [70s-death] age.)

Claire Foy didn't initially grab me, but dhe grew on me and slowly evolved.

Congrats on the Emmy nominations, esp Lithgow's.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Congratulations to The Crown for their Golden Globe wins!

BEST TELEVISION SERIES — DRAMA

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES — DRAMA: Claire Foy

I must say that I'm surprised by both.  Not that The Crown didn't deserve it, but it isn't a mainstream production, and there was so much good competition. 

Claire Foy does an admirable job, but not amazing.

John Lithgow not winning shocks me, but Hugh Laurie us a goid winner, too. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I must say that I'm surprised by both.  Not that The Crown didn't deserve it, but it isn't a mainstream production, and there was so much good competition. 

Claire Foy does an admirable job, but not amazing.

John Lithgow not winning shocks me, but Hugh Laurie us a goid winner, too. 

Agreed re Foy.  She was mostly tasked with playing a cipher, IMO.  I would have preferred Keri Russell in this category.  I also think S4 of The Americans was better drama than The Crown, but TA wasn't even nominated.  I haven't seen The Night Manager, but now feel like I should. 

Edited by Inquisitionist

I was surprised too. Claire Foy does what she can but QEII in The Crown is kind of like Harry Potter, the boring main character surrounded by more colorful, interesting ones. But congrats anyway.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1
On January 9, 2017 at 2:00 PM, dubbel zout said:

TNM was a disappointment for me. It's gorgeous to look at, but I had some giant problems with the story.

Yeah, me too. I love Olivia Colman in anything, but I didn't find Hugh Laurie's character very convincing as the villain. The scenery was stunning, though, especially the Swiss locations.

12 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Well, now there's this. Oh, Peter. WHY?!

Well, it makes sense in the context of how his (PP) behavior and the affect on their marriage.  Of course Prince Andrew and Prince Edward's births are probably going to be a marriage rehabilitation viewpoint.

But please PLEASE continue aft S2!  Don't tease us!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Including Philip in some way makes sense. But the second season's "soul is about Prince Phillip's complexity"? No. No, no, no. This is not "The Consort." 

Exactly! This is The Crown not The Consort. If season 2's main theme is about Prince Phillip's complexity then I doubt I'll watch. I couldn't stand Phillip in season 1; pretty much every episode I was thinking what an ass he was.

• Love 2

I am not thrilled that next season they will have a focus on Phillip. He is not "The Crown" I want to see the life of the Queen not her petulant husband and the baby fits he has until he realizes he married a Queen and with her comes an entire country she has to answer to.

I could see one or two episodes to deal with his coming to terms,

Spoiler

doesn't he really lose it and start staying out all the time and might have had an affair, until something happens or someone straightens him out and he (finally) takes his place two steps behind her? Has this already happened? That would be interesting to see, if they haven't already glossed over it in the first season.

ETA: I spoilered the last bit, not sure if it applies, but I wanted to be careful.

Edited by Arynm
spoiler alert!
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Arynm said:

I could see one or two episodes to deal with his coming to terms,

Reveal hidden contents

doesn't he really lose it and start staying out all the time and might have had an affair, until something happens or someone straightens him out and he (finally) takes his place two steps behind her? Has this already happened? That would be interesting to see, if they haven't already glossed over it in the first season.

ETA: I spoilered the last bit, not sure if it applies, but I wanted to be careful.

I got the impression that Phillip

Spoiler

was having affairs when he was going out to his club and going off for long weekends. There was an episode were Elizabeth point blank says "I've never had eyes for anyone else. Can you say the same?" I took that as an indication that Phillip had been sleeping around. However, I doubt the show would pass up the opportunity to show him having an actual affair, so I bet we'll see that in season 2.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2
On 3/18/2017 at 0:11 PM, dubbel zout said:

Including Philip in some way makes sense. But the second season's "soul is about Prince Phillip's complexity"? No. No, no, no. This is not "The Consort." 

I "liked" your comment because I agree with it. And at the same I don't! Meaning, I agree with you, pending actually seeing what Peter Morgan is able to achieve with this angle. He really came through in Series One. If he feels he needs a shift of perspective in order to keep writing at the same level, I'm willing to greet Series Two with an open mind. 

Why does Elizabeth have to be defined by men again? In the first season, it was her father, Philip, and Winston Churchill. Not to mention Tommy Lascelles and Martin Charteris. And her other ministers and advisors. Now we have to have a whole season of Philip?

I understand that Elizabeth is a difficult character to write about, as just about everything out there is conjecture. She doesn't give interviews. People don't run to the media to tell them what was discussed at royal events. And the governments early in her reign were all male. But that doesn't make it impossible to tell the story from her POV. The second season is her second decade of being queen. We should be able to see her feeling confident about it and putting her stamp on her reign, not feeling Philip's complexity.

• Love 4

I'm actually looking forward to seeing The Crown's take on how Philip went from an unmanned husband and father being forcibly kept from doing anything of any real use in his mind to coming to terms with his role and becoming the man who Her Majesty herself called her strength and stay through all the years.

I found Margaret and the Queen Mother far less sympathetic in the first season than I found Philip. Of course, none of them did much to support Elizabeth unless there was something in it for them. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Emmy nominations:

Drama Series

Drama Actress - Claire Foy

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - John Lithgow

Directing for a Drama Series - Stephen Daldry (“Hyde Park Corner”)

Writing for a Drama Series - Peter Morgan ("Assassins")

Production Design for a Narrative Period Program (One Hour or More)- Martin Childs, Mark Raggett & Celia Bobak 

Casting for a Drama Series - Nina Gold & Robert Sterne 

Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (One Hour) - Adriano Goldman 

Period/ Fantasy Costumes for a Series, Limited Series, or Movie - Michele Clapton, Alex Fordham, Emma O’Loughlin & Kate O’Farrell 

Hairstyling for a Single-Camera Series - Ivana Primorac & Amy Riley

Main Title Design

Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score)

Special Visual Effects in a Supporting Role

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Here's the trailer itself, if you don't want to click through. So excited for Matthew Goode, and I was not expecting Michael C. Hall to pop up. I'm a little wary about the focus on Phillip as opposed to, you know, THE CROWN, but I'm still all in.

• Love 3

Emmy wins for The Crown!

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series - John Lithgow (Episode: "Assassins")
Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series, or Movie - Episode: "Wolferton Splash"
Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period Program (One Hour or More) - Episode: "Smoke and Mirrors"

• Love 2

On a shallow note, I loved how elated Claire Foy looked when Elizabeth Moss won. From what I've read Claire was Elizabeth's only real competition, and I was so pleased to see her so supportive. Next year, let's hope, for Claire (although I would like to see Keri Russel win and GoT will be back to grab everything.)

• Love 2

Oooh, big news!

https://www.gofugyourself.com/olivia-colman-will-take-the-crown-from-claire-foy-10-2017

It’s official: With season two of The Crown in the books, the production will stay true to its word and recast the show for its third and fourth runs (and then again for its fifth and sixth). First to sign on: Olivia Colman, brilliant in her Golden Globe-winning role from The Night Manager, will get to play Queen Elizabeth II. Supposedly season two takes us into the mid-sixties, which means Claire Foy’s early runs haven’t stretched as far as I expected — meaning, we also don’t know whether season three or four will get Colman far enough to tuck into the meaty Chuck-and-Di years. Here’s hoping.

• Love 10