Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, pootlus said:

So happy to see the trailer drop finally!

I assume that all the funeral stuff is 

Reveal spoiler

Uncle Dickie/Lord Mountbatten - would explain why Charles looks so devastated.

I had the same thought and I'm going to be bummed because I love that actor, but I knew it was coming.

• Love 4
Spoiler

I read somewhere that Uncle Dickie's death will be S4. I think the funeral is Churchill's (in '65). And they'll likely show the Duke of Windsor's funeral from '72.

ETA: Yup, confirmed this shot from the trailer is for Churchill. Which makes sense that he would have the Union Jack vs the British Royal Standard (that DoW would have had at his funeral).

Shot from the trailer:

Crown.thumb.jpg.8f3ea95a3948a38956e6c428b49a03f9.jpg

Real life image:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTiDbWPkuDUGvs1F-9Mu7

Also, this is admittedly kind of catty, but the actress playing Camilla is far too pretty.

The trailer looks so amazing. I have really missed this show.

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, pootlus said:

So happy to see the trailer drop finally!

I assume that all the funeral stuff is 

Hide contents

Uncle Dickie/Lord Mountbatten - would explain why Charles looks so devastated.

Spoiler

I had to look it up, but the series is supposed to cover up until 1977.  Mountbatten was killed in 1979.  But, the Duke of Windsor died in 1972, so maybe that's who they are burying?

Edited by saoirse
Spoiler tag added per spoiler policy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Regarding the funeral scene in the trailer:

Spoiler

My assumption was that it was Churchill's funeral--although the Duke of Windsor was a good guess too--as I thought it was a bit too early for Mountbatten's. Also Charles Dance is in the scene so I thought I'd check iMDB to see who he's playing on screen. He's playing Mountbatten, so he can't very well be attending his own funeral!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I can't find where the discussion was on the Robert Lacey companion book was last season, so I'm hoping this is the right place. The second book is coming out soon and it covers seasons 2 & 3 so i thought I'd post.

There is a UK version and a US version. I have both of them for the first season. The US version is a regular 6x9 inch hardcover book. It's terrible, don't get it. The formatting is all cramped, a lot of the photos are in black and white when they should be in color, and it's a smaller book.

You want the UK version. It's slightly larger, it's in more of a coffee table book format, the print is larger, more of the photos are in color and are placed where they should be, and it's just more of a Robert Lacey book.

If you're in the US, AmazonUK will ship it from the UK, or if you wait a few weeks generally books like this will show up on US Amazon under a private seller. Not sure about other outlets.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Popples said:

I had the same thought and I'm going to be bummed because I love that actor, but I knew it was coming.

Spoiler

I'm virtually certain that the funeral is the Duke of Windsor's.  The woman who tells Charles to watch out for his family is Wallis Simpson. 

Edit: I stand corrected. I guess the funeral is Churchill's? But maybe also there's one for David?  Because that's almost certainly Wallis Simpson, based on what she says about love being the most important thing and that he needs to be careful around his family.  Paraphrased, of course. 

Edited by toolazy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I tip my hat to the funeral detectives.  Nice work!

On 10/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, phoenics said:

I was skeptical about the casting for Prince Charles until I heard him speak in the trailer.  I'm convinced now.

Same.  I think he's going to be really impressive.

• Love 3

I went back and watched the trailer again.

Spoiler

The British flag is draped over the coffin.  If it was the Duke of Windsor, wouldn’t the flag be the royal standard?  So it might be Churchill.  

Edited by Athena
added spoiler tags
  • Love 1
Spoiler

The funeral clip featured in the trailer isn't a member of the British Royal Family as the casket is draped with the Union Jack, not the British Royal Standard. Given the timeframe covered in S3, the DoW's funeral has to be covered at some point as does Churchill's, but the Duke's funeral is not the one depicted in the clip as here's a quick video of the DoW's funeral and the BRS can clearly be seen covering his casket.

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Useful 2

My guess would be the funeral of

Spoiler

Churchill (1965) to launch the theme of the rise of the post-war generation. And then Wallis's warning to Charles on any of the three or four occasions they met: most likely, the Duke's funeral in 1972. Charles was seeing Camilla by then. 

Edited by saoirse
Spoiler tag added
  • Love 2

The season makes for a less sexy, more studied viewing experience. The first half of the season, which focuses on political skirmishes in the late ‘60s, is especially slow going. The transition between casts is hampered further by some of The Crown’s most boring episodes, all of which lean too far into sentiment. (A little alarmingly, the season uses a devastating mining disaster in Wales to construct an episode that hinges on whether or not the queen cries.)

Exactly the point I made in the episode thread!

It feels as if we are waiting for Colman to become Elizabeth somehow, to give the speech or wield the look that will reveal her in her true, divine, queenly form. But in a bit of delayed gratification that is both maddening and brilliant, it never quite happens. Colman’s Elizabeth is a little disappointing, because the queen is a little disappointing. Foy dazzled; Colman trembles. Her performance is characterized by repressed, powerful resentment against her role—a quivering frustration held just beneath the surface, somewhere beneath that helmet of sculpted hair. It seems to stop her voice and still her empathy. 

Again, exactly.

More here:  Vanity Fair

• Love 5
On 12/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, ProudMary said:
On 12/4/2019 at 9:22 AM, benteen said:

I didn't know Lacey did a second volume of The Crown.  It will probably be excellent.  Years ago, he wrote a book on mobster Meyer Lanksy wich was excellent.

I just checked Amazon for it and the reviews are not good for the second volume. There's only four and they each mention there's not a lot of photographs and information compared to the first volume.

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Series – Drama
Tobias Menzies: Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
Olivia Colman: Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama
Helena Bonham Carter: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series – Tobias Menzies

Best Actress in a Drama Series – Olivia Colman

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Helena Bonham Carter

Screen Actors Guild Award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Helena Bonham Carter

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Olivia Colman

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Critics' Choice Award nominations!

Best Drama Series

Best Actor in a Drama Series – Tobias Menzies

Best Actress in a Drama Series – Olivia Colman

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series – Helena Bonham Carter

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Screen Actors Guild Award nominations:

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Helena Bonham Carter

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series - Olivia Colman

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series

Wow at all of those noms.  Well, they gave them all "awards bait" episodes so it's not surprising that the big names were nominated.  I am shocked that season three got a "best drama" nomination though.  

Pity that the actor playing Charles isn't a big enough name to be nominated, because he did stellar work, and IMO, was the best actor of the bunch this season.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, PeterPirate said:

"I feel like I've won somebody else's award".  Great line.  

(Somehow, this thread disappeared. )

and very true.

I love her, but there is no way I think she should have won this, her performance was wooden and without nuance throughout.  

• Love 13

She's so adorable and so talented.  I hope she gets better scripts next season.  She looks 10 years younger when she's allowed to smile.  

It makes me think that the direction was stiff or deliberate about making the Queen a total cold hearted bitch this season.  Giving her an earpiece to avoid any emotion?  Wow.

Apparently she hasn't really watched the show if she wants to ask the Queen what she would really have preferred to do (being a countrywoman, raising race horses and dogs.)

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think Netflix decided that it was just too expensive to do another three seasons.

When the show was first announced, I saw numbers like $100 million being thrown around. That's a bit under $20 million a season (assuming six seasons; of course it's $20 million for five), which is a LOT. 

It might also be a logistics issue, i.e., getting all the cast at the right time. This series has a ton of moving pieces. 

At any rate, I think ending with Charles and Diana is probably a safe place to end, given that Peter Morgan doesn't want to get too contemporary because then it's "journalism."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

When the show was first announced, I saw numbers like $100 million being thrown around. That's a bit under $20 million a season (assuming six seasons; of course it's $20 million for five), which is a LOT. 

It was reported that it cost $130 million just for the first season!

Peter Morgan stepped in and clarified that the figure "was closer to what Netflix paid for two seasons." If it was anywhere near $130 million just for two seasons, that's an ungodly amount of money.

Netflix is throwing around a ton of cash in order to garner respectability. But if The Crown isn't pulling in ratings like expected, I could totally see them chopping off a season.

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

It might also be a logistics issue, i.e., getting all the cast at the right time. This series has a ton of moving pieces. 

At any rate, I think ending with Charles and Diana is probably a safe place to end, given that Peter Morgan doesn't want to get too contemporary because then it's "journalism."

The article I read said that they were going to take it into the early 2000s. 

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Netflix is throwing around a ton of cash in order to garner respectability. But if The Crown isn't pulling in ratings like expected, I could totally see them chopping off a season.

It's important to note that the Netflix which commissioned this series and the Netflix of today are quite different. Netflix use to commission a lot of shows and threw its money around. In the last couple of years, it's started to cancel a lot of original content which was sometimes not that expensive to make but didn't do well. It is also getting more competition from other streaming services and losing rights to popular shows it use to have (e.g. Friends). It's become more risk adverse with its money. I'm not that surprised they are cutting back on this show, but at least we are getting a planned last season.

• Love 7