Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Razzberry said:

It does seem hypocritical of an actor who made their living portraying others to suddenly criticize and demand a disclaimer.  I'm sure Queen Victoria would have loved both of Dench's films featuring her dalliances with male servants.

The disclaimer for "Victoria and Abdul" would have had to read:  "This is a fictionalized dramatic account of Queen Victoria's possible relationship with a very handsome junior envoy from India.  It's also questionable whether the queen's doctor directly asked the queen for a detailed report of her daily bowel movements."

LOL.

• LOL 6
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

Maybe it’s me, but in this Guardian article Dominic West sounds like a whiny Charles. Poor you. 

This tidbit was interesting:

The Crown actor Dominic West has described the infamous “tampongate” phone call between the then Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles as “two middle-aged lovers being sweet to each other”.

West, who portrays Charles in the fifth series of the Netflix show, said his understanding of the saga changed after filming the storyline.

“My memory of it is that it was sort of filthy and dirty and really embarrassing, but actually, in the playing of it, it was much more like two middle-aged lovers being sweet to each other,” he said.  

Edited by PeterPirate
4 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

This tidbit was interesting:

The Crown actor Dominic West has described the infamous “tampongate” phone call between the then Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles as “two middle-aged lovers being sweet to each other”.

West, who portrays Charles in the fifth series of the Netflix show, said his understanding of the saga changed after filming the storyline.

“My memory of it is that it was sort of filthy and dirty and really embarrassing, but actually, in the playing of it, it was much more like two middle-aged lovers being sweet to each other,” he said.  

If you actually listen to or read a transcript of the whole exchange it's really rather mundane and sweet in its own perverse way.  The tabloids made it seem more salacious than what it was and then the comedians ran with that one line.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
18 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Not to mention a lot of things being whitewashed such as beloved romantic Uncle David being a Nazi sympathizer. 

I have watched The Crown, twice, and would not characterize their telling of that part of his history as 'whitewashing'.  Not by any stretch.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

It's a long article/interview. Apparently, the American army found microfilm linking him to German agents and detailed the Third Reich’s attempt to build a relationship with King Edward VIII... The family and royal insiders wanted him out and Wallis' situation provided a more acceptable way out. Also:

He was emotionally stunted. So he wrote, for example, to his girlfriends in baby talk. He was constantly looking for a mother figure which Wallis provided. She was the dominant person in the relationship. She took his jewels and loved the access he gave her to all sorts of interesting people, but I don’t think she ever loved him.

But he was a very weak man. He was very stupid. He had no inner life. The things that interested him were gardening, golf, watching his investments, and entertaining. He was a very heavy drinker, and he would break into song or into German when he got drunk in the middle of a meal. So he was totally unsuitable to be king. He had no sense of public duty, it was all private pleasure and a very superficial café society life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Question: So I can't remember, but is this season different in that episodes will be released weekly? I seem to recall all of them dropping on the same day in previous seasons? Or I may be hallucinating because I think I watched them after the first two seasons had already been released.  

19 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Question: So I can't remember, but is this season different in that episodes will be released weekly? I seem to recall all of them dropping on the same day in previous seasons? Or I may be hallucinating because I think I watched them after the first two seasons had already been released.  

No I’m pretty sure they’re all on the same day. That’s how Netflix has always done it.

19 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

No I’m pretty sure they’re all on the same day. That’s how Netflix has always done it.

D'OH! I now see all the other episode titles! I thought because the first episode was at the top of the list, that it was going to be weekly!

Just call me a Nimrod...

• LOL 1
On 10/21/2022 at 3:02 PM, Marley said:

I'm excited for the show to come back but I still can’t get over Dominic West as Charles. Horrible casting. 

Exactly! I haven't started watching yet, but I cannot get over this! Josh O'Connor had a passing resemblance, but Dominic West looks NOTHING like Charles. At all. I don't get that casting. It's completely distracting.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Here is an interesting video about the show from a channel named Tea and Therapy UK.  She makes a connection between the way Diana is being portrayed and the Duchess of Sussex.  

I don't have any opinion about whether what she is saying is accurate or not.  But maybe it will give others a little something something to discuss.  

Edited by PeterPirate

In the first 8 years of the Queen's rule, 90,000 Kenyans were detained and brutally executed. There is also a brief video of a young Prince Phillip.

Edited by qtpye
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Here is another video essay about the show.  I found it pretty interesting.  

I wish I felt the same way.

I found this season almost unwatchable and I have never felt that way about this show.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, PeterPirate said:

Here's a nice video essay about the show in general and the shortcomings of season 5.  

Emma and Josh were so much better as Charles and Diana.

Josh actually made you feel bad for Charles.

The lady playing Diana this season looks like her but acts like the world's biggest sad sack.

Dominic does not even come close to being a convincing Charles.

Edited to add: I loved the way the video pointed out that Josh is very handsome and it was his acting that brought forth Charles.

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

In the absence of a dedicated Awards thread, I'll place this here. 

Golden Globe Nominations for Best TV Drama, Best Lead Actress for Imelda Staunton, Best Supporting Actress for Elizabeth Debicki, and Best Supporting Actor for Jonathan Pryce.

Honestly, IMO, the only one deserving of a nomination is Debicki.  I thought this was the worst season by far.  I didn't think anything Imelda Staunton did was award-worthy, unless you consider sitting there glumly staring into space and trying to convey disappointment/confusion is award-worthy.  Jonathan Pryce is likely getting nominated for that "please tell your subjects that you are OK with me lusting after my goddaughter-in-law" episode, which I thought was awful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 11/19/2022 at 11:11 AM, PeterPirate said:

Here is an interesting video about the show from a channel named Tea and Therapy UK.  She makes a connection between the way Diana is being portrayed and the Duchess of Sussex.  

I don't have any opinion about whether what she is saying is accurate or not.  But maybe it will give others a little something something to discuss.  

If this woman really is a therapist, she should lose her license for “diagnosing” someone she’s never met!  Utter drivel, imo.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Some more stills of William (played by Ed McVey) and Kate (played by Meg Bellamy) from the sixth and final season.

Ooh boy, I don't know about the likenesses here.  At a real quick glance, I can see that maybe being William (although the middle pic looks like Jonathan Taylor Thomas) but that is not Kate.  Not even if I squint. 

If I had seen those pics outside of this thread, I think the only clue that would have got me to William and Kate would be his wardrobe because that is Classic Wills circa that era.  And it hasn't changed much.  The guy loves his blue sweaters. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
13 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Ooh boy, I don't know about the likenesses here.  At a real quick glance, I can see that maybe being William (although the middle pic looks like Jonathan Taylor Thomas) but that is not Kate.  Not even if I squint. 

If I had seen those pics outside of this thread, I think the only clue that would have got me to William and Kate would be his wardrobe because that is Classic Wills circa that era.  And it hasn't changed much.  The guy loves his blue sweaters. 

I knew the Will actor looked familiar and yes, I completely see JTT. Wonder if they'll include the Kate in her see-through skirt fashion show that really caught Will's attention. 

• Like 6
On 4/27/2023 at 1:40 PM, Cementhead said:

The actress is very pretty, has a fresh baby face but she doesn’t look like Kate outside of being a white woman with brown hair and blue eyes. (Aka doesn’t look like her much at all)

• Like 2
On 7/12/2023 at 11:31 AM, ProudMary said:

Emmy nominations have been announced. While The Crown is nominated for Outstanding Drama Series, its only acting nomination is for Elizabeth Debicki in the Supporting Actress category. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2023-emmys-nominations-nominees-list-1235533766/

That sounds about right to me.  I thought this was the weakest season by far.  Elizabeth Debicki was the only standout.  Imelda Staunton was mediocre and made no impact at all, and I don't think Jonathan Pryce was deserving either.  If Staunton and Pryce were to get nominations it would have been purely because of their names and because previous Elizabeth/Philip actors have gotten nominations.

• Like 8

Does anyone think it is ironic that the Royals and their friends talked so badly about the crown being "inaccurate" when in reality the season was a giant puff piece on Charles?

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

I just remembered now that I never did bother to even finish watching this last season.  It was that forgettable.  This is definitely one of those series where the quality goes way down with each passing season.  The first season was phenomenal. 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Cementhead said:

I just remembered now that I never did bother to even finish watching this last season.  It was that forgettable.  This is definitely one of those series where the quality goes way down with each passing season.  The first season was phenomenal. 

Agreed, the first season was amazing.

• Like 3
(edited)

For me, the cast changes were disconcerting, and unnecessary.  Did they NOT want to pay for makup to age the OG cast?  I've never fully undrstood the rationale. We've all seen programs that employed age progression of the actors, some good and some not so much, but still. I realize that the kids needed to be recast, but never understood the adults having to change. Have chalked it up to promotional shenanigans mostly.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

For me, the cast changes were disconcerting

Amen to that.  The most jarring for me was going from Claire Foy to Olivia Colman.  Claire Foy's portrayal was so thoughtful and intentional.  Her Elizabeth had the most gravitas even though she was playing the youngest version.  Colman's Elizabeth, on the other hand, was a silly caricature, so much so that she reminded me of ding batty Edith Bunker.  That was all on Colman.  From the little I did watch, Imelda Staunton has managed to right the ship but at this point I no longer care.

Elizabeth Debicki being the only one to get an Emmy  nomination this season isn't surprising but even that is a reach.  She did as good a job as she could portraying Diana but I never once got lost in her being Diana. Her best scenes were when she was sitting down on the couch talking on the phone doing the 'Diana' eye thing.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Changing the cast of a long-running series is a huge risk (with most shows, even the recast of a single protagonist can doom the show), so I too wonder why they thought that was the best way to go.

At the very least, they could have gone with 3 seasons with Claire Foy and then 3 with Olivia Colman.  This last iteration of the characters was mostly forgettable (which was impacted by the writing, since Staunton had little to do), with the exception of Elizabeth Debicki, so I'm glad only she was nominated.

Each time they changed cast, the "characters" just felt like they were different people.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Camera One said:

Changing the cast of a long-running series is a huge risk (with most shows, even the recast of a single protagonist can doom the show), so I too wonder why they thought that was the best way to go.

Because this wasn't a show with just 6 seasons, it was a show covering 60 years of Elizabeth's life.  I haven't been thrilled with all the cast changes, but I do understand most of them.  

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Because this wasn't a show with just 6 seasons, it was a show covering 60 years of Elizabeth's life.  I haven't been thrilled with all the cast changes, but I do understand most of them.  

Yes, and it was a bold decision to do a show that spans an individual's entire life.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I understand that part too. Sixty years is a long time. What I don't understand is a lot of the writing choice. Season three Charles was a bit dorky. Season four Charles is an asshole. Season five Charles is modern and not as much of jerk to anyone except to Diana. Season three Charles and Camilla meet but she's still seeing Andrew and tells Charles she was trying to make Andrew jealous. Season four Charles and Camilla are together and she's all he cares about while being a jerk to Diana and the palace split them up. Season Five Charles and Camilla are totally great together and they have her come out has his girlfriend. Teenage William is apparently okay with being at festivial with both of them but not okay with hearing about his mother's boyfriends. He also tried to get the throne.

Season three Philip blames Elizabeth for everything. Season Four Philip blames Elizabeth for everything. Season Five Philip blames Elizabeth for everything. Repeat for Margaret except the one moment she gets to yell at her mother for hiding away two cousins Margaret doesn't even care about.  

Season one and two Elizabeth had a heart and brain. Season three she's suddenly very cold and unfeeling especially to Charles going off on him about his Welsh speech and how no one cares what he things and can't cry. Season four Elizabeth knows nothing about her children to the point has to have a list made up of information about her kids. She may never have met them. Also confused about hugs. Season Five does nothing except worrying about keeping her boat afloat but not enough to pay for herself. 

From season three royals shown out of touch when it comes to money. Philip complains about having to give up polo. All complaining about having to give up the royal yacht but not enough to pay for it. 

From season four and on constantly complaining about Diana. Jealous of all the attention she gets. Hypocrital about her affairs even though they all know about Camilla and Anne's affair. 

In the beginning Elizabeth and her prime ministers were interesting. How she related to them along with their successes and failures. That really dropped of with Majors apparently only job was to take care of Charles's and Diana's divorce. 

They showed us an episode of David and Wallis being a Nazi sympathizer who met with Hitler. The following season poor David everything was his family's fault.

They also skipped over actual interesting stuff with Anne's wedding and kidnapping. Andrew in the Falkland War either showing him or have the family worry about him during the war.

• Like 6