Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I don't think they actually searched the house, but they couldn't get to him as long as he was in there unless they got a warrant, and they probably weren't ready to do an arrest warrant?

I guess this is kind of what I was getting at...I assume the police couldn't forcibly get you to go to the station for questioning, but I also assumed they would need an arrest warrant.  I guess I'm just annoyingly hung up on the "search" thing :)

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, F. M. said:

I thought he hid, to sober up. I still think that. 

Yes, of course that was it.  It has been done before.  He will escape the DUI but not vehicular manslaughter and leaving the scene, though his lawyer will put up an argument to drop the latter, given he called 911 and stayed until medic arrived.  There might be a loop hole in there.  

He is not going to go without punishment.  The question is what that will be.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Yes, of course that was it.  It has been done before.  He will escape the DUI but not vehicular manslaughter and leaving the scene, though his lawyer will put up an argument to drop the latter, given he called 911 and stayed until medic arrived.  There might be a loop hole in there.  

He is not going to go without punishment.  The question is what that will be.  

I don't know what he'll get, he's getting to old for this terrible wake up call.smh.

• Love 1

I'm wondering if it was an actual search warrant of if some reporter just called it that and it caught on. Or maybe it was to search the house for Chris specifically. Can you do a search warrant for a person? I did find this:

In terms that apply equally to seizures of property and to seizures of persons, the Fourth Amendment has drawn a firm line at the entrance to the house. Absent exigent circumstances, that threshold may not reasonably be crossed without a warrant.

No. An arrest warrant does not allow an officer to enter the house of a 3d party in order to get the suspect.. 

So, if it wasn't Chris's house that he was in, the police couldn't enter with just an arrest warrant. They would need a search warrant to get it.

Learn something new every day.

This info could be inaccurate, but the site referenced a very specific case so it feels legit. Here's the link if you want to look: http://crimlaw.blogspot.com/2012/03/can-officer-enter-residence-to-arrest.html

In texas, (obviously iowa may be different) you need a warrant to draw blood, unless  it is a special "no refusal" weekend (ie, new years and  july 4th are often designated this way).  You dont need a warrant for a field sobriety test, but people are allowed to refuse these (and often do) so they can buy time before they are taken to a phlebotomist to have their blood drawn.  

I think the search warrant/3rd party property issue makes more sense, but I am offering this up as another possibility, full acknowledging i know NOTHING about the DUI/DWI/car accident laws in Iowa. 

It's chilling to me that Chris seemed to know exactly what to do to avoid being charged with DUI and reduce any other liabilities, like staying until the medics came but leaving before the cops, hiding out in someone else's house so the cops couldn't easily arrest him, etc. It all sounds very practiced and strategic.

• Love 12

My understanding is that they needed to talk to him about the accident, and because he refused to come out, or even communicate with them, they were forced to get a warrant to go in and get him. The fact that it was at someone else's house probably complicated the issue, making it take even longer and increasing the likelihood that he would escape a DUI. The open containers should mitigate some of that and ensure that he is at least somewhat punished for the drinking aspect. If he purchased that beer at a convenience store shortly before the accident, and the cans are open and at least partially consumed in his truck, I don't know how he can avoid at least some punishment for open containers.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

There is some indication that Chris had medical care and that there was a blood draw and the cops are trying to get a warrant for the blood.

When was the medical care? Before or after the police took him in? That could be a game changer and I can't see why a warrant would be denied. He was involved in a fatal accident. There are signs (open containers) that he was drinking. A warrant for that blood draw seems perfectly reasonable and is very bad news for Chris if it is obtained.

20 minutes ago, valen said:

When was the medical care?

After the warrant and subsequent arrest.  He was taken to a hospital to draw his blood.   Some drugs have a half life longer than the time it took to get the warrant.  They were looking for anything they could get.  

Did you guys see the video from inside the court room the day Chris was arrested, the one with him sitting, wearing the jail jumpsuit? Now the reporter who took that video is facing contempt of court charges as she was "not allowed" to film that. She is facing a $500 fine and six months in jail for it. This is another move by Chris's lawyer team, saying journalists are "selling" Chris out and biasing the public against him. This was just reported on the local 5 p.m. news ... which showed the video in question. Ha ha!

I understood Chris was holed up in his own house, which was 15 miles away from the accident site. The red truck was parked in his driveway, although it's still not known (or told to us) who drove him home. And when the police knock on your door, you do not have to answer it. Trust me, I have experience with that with someone who was expert at avoiding police. Once the police got the search warrant, then Chris had to come out because, oops, there he was.

22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Tenley's continued participation in "Bachelor Family" events is starting to get tragic. She was on the Bachelor seven years ago. Since then she's been on the original Bachelor Pad, been strung along by Kiptyn for several years until he had a baby with another woman, been unsuccessful on Bachelor in Paradise, tried to cozy up to Ben H before he went on his own Bachelor season, and now she's glomming on to the most recent class of rejects. Not a good look, Ten!

Basically, she's become the female Chris Bukowski.  Desperate & sad.  But Chris has at least turned over a new leaf.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did you guys see the video from inside the court room the day Chris was arrested, the one with him sitting, wearing the jail jumpsuit? Now the reporter who took that video is facing contempt of court charges as she was "not allowed" to film that. She is facing a $500 fine and six months in jail for it. This is another move by Chris's lawyer team, saying journalists are "selling" Chris out and biasing the public against him. This was just reported on the local 5 p.m. news ... which showed the video in question. Ha ha!

Those lawyers are doing a better job at biasing me against Chris than any journalists. They sounds like immoral money grabbers who are doing their utmost to distract everyone from the main issue, which is Chris's criminal actions. Pathetic all around.

• Love 6

An article on realitytvworld.com today says his lawyers are blasting the "biased and unfair" media reports about him. They don't reference RadarOnline specifically, but the comments indicate that is where the reports are coming from. Most of them refer to his behavior after he was arrested and booked, but some of it is about his behavior at the scene. Angry, diva-ish, unconcerned with the victim. Although I do believe that he was drunk and he deserves to go to jail, and I am absolutely disgusted at his attempts to avoid responsibility and the consequences, I hope those reports aren't true. I've heard the 911 call and he just sounds scared.

19 hours ago, fib said:

You dont need a warrant for a field sobriety test, but people are allowed to refuse these

I was in a jury pool for a DUI, and the defendant had refused the sobriety test.  During voir dire, his lawyer reminded me that refusal is perfectly legal, but I said even though I'd like to be objective, that refusal does bias me against him.  Needless to say, I wasn't chosen.

1 hour ago, Lamb18 said:

I think the warrant was for drawing blood, not for searching the house.

So probably @Mabinogia has it right:

20 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I'm wondering if it was an actual search warrant of if some reporter just called it that and it caught on.

• Love 1

Chris wouldn't answer the door when cops were at his house. They had to get a search warrant, which took five hours and put Chris out of the time allowed to be charged with OUI, to be able to enter the house and confront Chris. Once the cops were in the house, Chris gave himself up without incident. I haven't looked at any online sites except Iowa newspapers and TMZ about this case, but I'm heading over to radaronline to see what it says. I hadn't heard anything about Chris being a diva, and I don't think the "general public" has even heard of radaronline. The lawyers are grasping for anything, IMO. I also object to his lawyers saying Chris did everything "right" at the accident scene, including "doing CPR" when he says very clearly on the 911 call that he doesn't know CPR.

• Love 2

Police cannot enter a house, even when they know a person of interest is inside, without a warrant. They can when a person is under duress or a danger to him/herself or the public, like a holed-up killer. They needed a legal search warrant to enter Chris's house. If they did not get that, Chris would still be inside his house and cops would still be sitting in his driveway waiting for him to come out or at least answer the door. Neither of which he was going to do on his own.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Police cannot enter a house, even when they know a person of interest is inside, without a warrant.

Yes, but when it's the suspect's home it appears that a  search warrant is not required, an arrest warrant is.  The link below is federal (Dept of Homeland Security), but I'm pretty sure a suspect's rights wouldn't change.

https://www.fletc.gov/audio/execution-search-warrant-i-mp3

If the agents have an arrest warrant for suspect, they can enter that suspects residence to serve the warrant any time - night or day - as long as they have a reasonable belief that the suspect is home

18 hours ago, ByTor said:

Yes, but when it's the suspect's home it appears that a  search warrant is not required, an arrest warrant is.  The link below is federal (Dept of Homeland Security), but I'm pretty sure a suspect's rights wouldn't change.

https://www.fletc.gov/audio/execution-search-warrant-i-mp3

An early report implied he was not at home.  It said they found him by spotting the pick up truck that picked him up in a driveway.  That could have been correct.  Doesn't matter, we know they got a search warrant and it took hours.   No DUI possible.  

On 5/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, saber5055 said:

Chris wouldn't answer the door when cops were at his house. They had to get a search warrant, which took five hours and put Chris out of the time allowed to be charged with OUI, to be able to enter the house and confront Chris. Once the cops were in the house, Chris gave himself up without incident. I haven't looked at any online sites except Iowa newspapers and TMZ about this case, but I'm heading over to radaronline to see what it says. I hadn't heard anything about Chris being a diva, and I don't think the "general public" has even heard of radaronline. The lawyers are grasping for anything, IMO. I also object to his lawyers saying Chris did everything "right" at the accident scene, including "doing CPR" when he says very clearly on the 911 call that he doesn't know CPR.

How would Chris know to do this?  Because he has had priors?  Or maybe he got his attorneys advice to do so?  (Hole up in the house long enough to escape the charge, that is)

Based on ByTor's post, I'm amending my posts to say officers got a warrant to enter Chris's house. It might have been I just "assumed" a search warrant when it was reported it took five hours to get a warrant. In any case, Chris wouldn't come out, would not answer the door, and it took five hours to get the warrant, putting Chris past the time needed to prove OUI. (In Iowa it's Operating Under the Influence, OUI). Mu Shu, who knows how Chris learned about the time lapse needed to escape OUI charges based on sobriety tests. I learned you don't have to answer the door when police knock when I repeated tried to serve papers on a criminal. That guy was finally arrested when someone was with him when police knocked, and that person answered the door. Only Chris knows where he gets his knowledge of how to avoid prosecution, and my guess is he's not talking!

I do wonder what Chris did for those five hours while the cops got the warrant to enter his house.

I think it's terrible that a law exists which allows people to refuse/delay any testing and we're not allowed to presume guilt from this action.  What other reason would they have for avoiding the test?  They should be presumed guilty if they refuse to be tested, not be let off.

• Love 10

Canada, there are so many laws that protect the guilty, and terminology that has to be used to protect the guilty, like Chris "allegedly" left the accident scene before police arrived. Allegedly? People who were there SAW him take off, and he was GONE when police arrived. Yet, he "allegedly" left. I cannot imagine not answering my door if police are knocking. But then, I'm not a criminal so, therefore, my thinking is completely different. I'm guessing if police broke into Chris's house and took him away for toxicology tests, that would be thrown out of court for some reason or other. Chris could even plead not guilty to being the driver of the truck that hit Mr. Mosher. All murderers are "not guilty" according to them. *rant over*

• Love 4

Chris seems to be handling this in an ungentlemanly fashion but maybe my feelings are colored because I always felt like he was not Bachelor material, used to be the guy had looks or charm or an interesting job. Perhaps he couldn't settle down with a woman because he liked to go out boozing too much? I dated an alcoholic once (did not know he was when I started dating him) and at the end of the day if he had to choose between love and booze; booze will always win out.

Yeah Nick handled that interview really well considering the interviewer was kind of annoying. She just kept harping on this whole Bachelor family thing and if Nick had spoken to Chris, when he just said he hadn't. 

• Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah Nick handled that interview really well considering the interviewer was kind of annoying. She just kept harping on this whole Bachelor family thing and if Nick had spoken to Chris, when he just said he hadn't. 

Chris would of done the same, Nick or his chosen one  would have been of no consequence.

Edited by F. M.
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

There is a hot link that says "watch Chris buy alcohol."  No footage of liquor store and nothing about him buying any.  I hate when articles do that.  

Yeah, it's called click-bait and they do it because it works. 

9 hours ago, valen said:

Nick Viall Speaks Out Following Chris Soules' Car Crash: 'It's Surreal'

http://www.etonline.com/news/216879_nick_viall_speaks_out_following_chris_soules_car_crash/

Btw, the more significant part of this story for me was Vanessa's look that night. Girl is the definition of body goals in my opinion. So many of these franchise women have been toothpicks, with their size 0 frames but Vanessa is just all curves in all the right places. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah, it's called click-bait and they do it because it works. 

Btw, the more significant part of this story for me was Vanessa's look that night. Girl is the definition of body goals in my opinion. So many of these franchise women have been toothpicks, with their size 0 frames but Vanessa is just all curves in all the right places. 

As long as she's front and centre , like Nick, she's happy ( barf) 

• Love 1

I keep remembering the hometown visit where Andi met Chris's mother and sisters. His mother was one of the sweetest people they've had on the show.  The poor lady must be so ashamed and worried, she didn't deserve this.  I wonder if the red truck person was one of the sisters.

• Love 4
(edited)

Another one bites the dust. 

Ben and Lauren Split

There's been heavy speculation the last three days about this because Reality Steve tweeted that there were a few Bachelor Nation splits coming up and he specified that it would not be a surprise if people pay attention to their social media. Most people predicted Ben and Lauren and Becca and Robert. 

This just reminds me again of what Sharleen said after all the comments about Nick and Vanessa's oh-so awkward AFR. Sharleen said that many couples come on the AFR with smiles from ear to ear swearing they would get married right now and end up splitting. Not that I'm saying Nick and Vanessa will last but at least they didn't sell a fantasy if/when it does happen.

Ben said he would marry Lauren tomorrow on their AFR with tears in his eyes. And well apparently not so much. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I don't think the "I love you" to JoJo was scripted---I think it was Ben being an idiot and Lauren was stupid to stay with him after that aired for all to see.   But she wanted the "fame" and Neal Lane bling and agreed to do that "Happy Ever After" show to keep them in the spotlight and the instagram followers.   All it got her was a "sorry, don't want to get married to you" on TV so doubt it was worth it.  Well maybe it was, who knows.   Surely we will see her next month in Paradise. 

As for Ben, he can go back to looking for that perfect 1950s housewife he seems to want.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Ben said he would marry Lauren tomorrow on their AFR with tears in his eyes. And well apparently not so much. 

I think Ben really would have married her right then.  I always thought he truly fell in love with Lauren, but she just wanted to win. 

I'm basing this on things like Ben saying that when she stepped out of the limo, the world stopped, and on their first date, which seemed to last for four hours, he just couldn't stop kissing her.  Now, I know that's all superficial, more lust than love, stuff, but lots of men marry because the woman is his absolute ideal from head to toe, and go on to be happy for the rest of their lives.  Some men are just that visual.  I think Lauren wasn't in love but just wanted to win and get the ring and go on to have a perfect house and a perfect wedding, with the perfect $8000 dress. Some women are just that materialistic.

37 minutes ago, CindyBee said:

As for Ben, he can go back to looking for that perfect 1950s housewife he seems to want.

Is Chris Soules's Whitney still available?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Is Chris Soules's Whitney still available?

No, she found a regular guy in Chicago not long after things ended with Chris and is now engaged to that guy.    So not sure where Ben will find the next potential Mrs. Higgins.  Maybe he'll take a look at Nick's reject pool.  Lauren will most probably join her bestie Amanda in Paradise next month, taking her pick from Robby, Chase, Jef, Luke and whomever shows up from Rachel's season.  

• Love 1

I can't see Lauren in Paradise. She's lived the high life with Ben as far as hotels and accommodations,  and the BIP set is a low rent dump with bugs and no air-conditioning and the dates nothing more than a taco at some restaurant that might or might not have a patio to eat outdoors. Plus, she probably has to play out her side of the break up in the media right now. 

JoJo won't want Ben now that she is with Jordan and is still basking in the Rogers family NFL connections. Looks like Amanda for the win then, especially after the whole Josh breakup. 

• Love 3
(edited)
50 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Ben and Lauren were certainly a good looking couple imo. I could see her being the next Bachelorette.

Huh and I always thought she was duller than dishwater. And from what I've seen online, seems many are still stuck on the Saint Ben narrative so Lauren is getting much of the heat for the breakup. I don't see future Bachelorette in her future but hey, crazier things have happened. Nick was made The Bachelor. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CindyBee said:

All it got her was a "sorry, don't want to get married to you" on TV so doubt it was worth it.

Wait, did this really happen on their show? Cos if it does, I'm so going to try to catch that episode. LMAO.