Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Archery said:

I finally realized that I’m a little ticked off that except for maybe 3 nominees, none of the shows are free to watch.

That's what friends and relatives and even work places are for! *and pirates* It takes a village to watch TV these days.   

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

Yeah, there's a lot of shows that were talked about here that I'd really like to see, but I don't have the money to subscribe to the streaming services for some of them right now. I'm hoping to change that eventually, though. 

• Love 1

It's kind of sad when the best thing you can say about the show is that at least it ended on time.  Until next time, y'all!

(And now, back to that rotten case conceptualization...my faux couple in crisis did not miraculously cure their marriage while I watched the Emmys.)

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, FoundTime said:

Ha! I meant somewhere else. Obvs reading too fast trying to keep up! Haven't even had that much wine...

I appreciated the laugh. No matter your intent, that was much funnier than Thomas Lennon, for sure.

5 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

I feel we all deserve an award for sitting through the Emmys. 

I spent a lot of time cursing at my tv during the last year of GoT, but the actors were, for the most part, freaking flawless. Coffee cups and water bottles can’t take away the moments of pure perfection the show gave me, so well done Dan and Dave since I’m positive Martin will never finish the flipping books. 

That's how I feel about GoT. I didn't care for the pacing of the final season. I don't mind how it ended, I just think they should have earned the final outcome more in season eight. The cast was nearly flawless though. They deserve the kudos.

Well, all of you people made the show pass much more quickly. See you around the site. Goodnight. 

• Love 6

Phoebe and Bill were cute together even if that joke about being tall fell flat after Gwendoline was just on stage. 

The sound design of this show is terrible. It was really noticeable during Adam Devine's number which would have sounded flawless if it had been at the Tony's. 

John Oliver's two wins were well deserved. As a long time Cracked fan, it warmed my heart to see Daniel O'Brien up there.

Billy Porter is fabulous. I take back what I said about the pants. They move beautifully. We do not deserve him. 

That clip reel of the shows that are ending just made me realize that as much as we complain about shows being prematurely cancelled, a lot of shows hang around past their expiration date. 

I love Halsey but letting her sing someone else's song for the In Memoriam was a bad choice. Why? It's like calling Ellie Goulding to sing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Like, sure, you could. But why? That song doesn't play to her strengths. 

• Love 3

Catching up thoughts:

Michelle Williams' win was so well deserved out of a category that was packed with potential deserving winners.  But I had the same feeling watching her in Fosse/Verdon that I remember having when I saw Bryan Cranston in the first season of Breaking Bad before his win (that so many thought would go to Jon Hamm) in that it wasn't just a good performance but there was just something special about it.

And her speech is something I want to watch over and over again because it was perfect.

I was happy for Billy Porter but I wish he would have spent a little more time highlighting the actresses on the show. 

I don't watch Ozark.  I have no desire to watch Ozark even though I love Laura Linney.  But I have liked Julia Garner in other things including The Americans and Doctor Death so I'm happy for her win.

I am not a fan the Palladino writing style.  I've tried GiIlmore Girls, Bunheads and Mrs. Maisel and I always end up giving up but I have eternal love for Tony Shaloub so I'm happy for his win and loved his speech.

Actress was so hard.  I love JLD and would have loved for her to make history tonight but Fleabag was one of my favorite things on anything last year so I was thrilled with all of their wins.  In fact, even though Killing Eve is probably my least favorite thing PWB has done (though the first season she wrote was more enjoyable to me than the second season she was less a part of) part of me wanted it to win Best Drama just so she'd probably be one of the few people to win in both categories in the same year.

ETA:  When PWB was asking people if they wanted to say something--how did Andrew Scott not get up there and say "kneel?"

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

WE NOT DESERVE BILLY PORTER. It was worth it to make it through a lot of the weaker moments (even with fast fowarding) to get to his win and his speech. So happy for him. 

Gwyneth Paltrow, what are you wearing?

Did I miss it or did they award GOT with the final award but avoid directly awarding Benioff and Weiss?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

This was the most poorly produced and executed award shows I have ever seen.

I can't believe someone produced this show and said "Yep - this is the one we are going for. Let's do this." God it was terrible. 

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

That's what friends and relatives and even work places are for! *and pirates* It takes a village to watch TV these days.   

Public libraries as well! I work at one and we get the DVD sets of shows from sources like HBO and Netflix. Only big exception I've noticed in our system is Amazon.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

We are a house divided on Maisel.  I was very excited to watch the pilot, and husband joined me with little interest in the actual show.  Halfway through I was ready to turn it off, but he was interested.  We watched the first season together, me less interested with each episode.  He watched the second season during business trips.  I don’t really understand all the love.  Even husband thinks The Good Place blows it out of the water in every way.

Was Speechless listed in the goodbyes for shows?  Another great show that was frankly too good for us.  It deserved so many awards.

• Love 3

And the audience is showing Emilia and especially Gwedonline some love!

Maybe I'm not used to awards shows any more but I feel like it stood out at a couple moments during the night how the crowd would rudely clap WAY more for certain people. 

Also, with all the presenters stumbling over their words I feel like something was off with the teleprompter. A few times is coincidence. But it happened so much it felt like the teleprompter was either going too quickly or too slowly at times for the presenters to read properly.

• Love 3

I’ve said for a long time that Emmys should be split between network shows and cable shows.  We all know that cable shows can stretch the boundaries that network shows cannot, but there is still a lot of network shows that deserve recognition.  Black-ish, The Good Place, Chicago Fire, Superstore, This Is Us, Jane the Virgin, How to Get Away  With Murder, God Friended Me, Mom and quite a few more.  But these show get nothing because the Hollywood Elite drools over cable shows, that many of us can’t watch for whatever reasons.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
26 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’ve said for a long time that Emmys should be split between network shows and cable shows.  We all know that cable shows can stretch the boundaries that network shows cannot, but there is still a lot of network shows that deserve recognition.  Black-ish, The Good Place, Chicago Fire, Superstore, This Is Us, Jane the Virgin, How to Get Away  With Murder, God Friended Me, Mom and quite a few more.  But these show get nothing because the Hollywood Elite drools over cable shows, that many of us can’t watch for whatever reasons.

There are so many good network shows and I HATE that they are seen as inferior because they aren’t on cable or a streaming platform. And it will just get worse as more streaming services are released with their own original content.

• Love 11
56 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Well, back when cable was niche and streaming nonexistent (it was the '90s!), there were the now-defunct Cable ACE Awards. If I recall, TNT used to air that one. But then cable came into the big time and Cable ACE went bye bye.

I do agree that the restrictions placed on broadcast shows give them a huge disadvantage to cable/streaming comedies/dramas. And also think the Prime Time Emmy Awards should maybe be divided between Prime Time Cable Show Emmys and Prime Time Broadcast TV Emmys.

There is the argument that maybe broadcast should just up its game. But while some shows may indeed be stale, any such show is still beholden to FCC rules with the violence, language, and sex that cable/streaming are not. So trying to "up its game" is already with disadvantages.

I don't know how this telecast will fare ratings wise [I didn't watch], but with the exception of BIG water cooler shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, and such, it seems a lot of the cable shows getting love seem to be shows the majority have never even watched. And I think that plays a role in reduced interest for these awards the past few years.

It is what it is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

Most of these^ network shows did get Emmy nominations. 
My opinion/theory: There are just a lot more shows now, so there should be more categories and more Emmy awards shows spread over more nights, but it doesn't have to be (or it could be) divided by network vs. cable or streaming. 
My preferred change:  Add a Dramedy category.
There are probably a few others that could be added, but this is the only one I can think of.
As for dividing it up: It could be one night of supporting actors and a few other categories, and then another night of leads and show wins. Or something else.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DuckyinKy said:

What.A.Shitshow. 

And yet it will still inevitably be nominated for an Emmy in the Specials/Live/Shitshow category.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, back when cable was niche and streaming nonexistent (it was the '90s!), there were the now-defunct Cable ACE Awards.

Yes! The days when being on basic cable was so embarrassing they had to make up their own awards show.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Meh. Watched the first two episodes of Fleabag and didn't care for it </unpopular opinion>

I love Maisel <ibid> and Barry and Kominsky Method, so this is my first year to relate.

Don’t know if that’s an unpopular opinion, but I adore Fleabag, find Maisel very overrated, had a hard time getting into Barry, and have zero interest in Kominsky... different strokes!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I wish The Good Place or Brooklyn Nine Nine (especially Andre Braugher) would get more love or any love. 

The absence of Andre Braugher among the comedy nominees is a travesty.  He has Emmy-worthy line deliveries in every. single. episode.

I'm ecstatic that Michelle Williams won.  Her portrayal of Gwen Verdon was astonishing.  

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Yeah, there's a lot of shows that were talked about here that I'd really like to see, but I don't have the money to subscribe to the streaming services for some of them right now. I'm hoping to change that eventually, though. 

You can get many of them at the library on DVD. Not Fleabag yet, but soon. And if your library doesn't have it, make a request.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

There is the argument that maybe broadcast should just up its game. But while some shows may indeed be stale, any such show is still beholden to FCC rules with the violence, language, and sex that cable/streaming are not. S

I would argue good writing is good writing. Barry isn't funny because of swearing or sex. Most of VEEP can be shown on Network tv too (just bleep out the words). I do think HBO, Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix have more money to spend on promotion. But when a show is good and relevant, it can win. This Is Us won. The Good Wife won, the annoying show about geeks won. 

I am personally glad GOT cleaned up with tech awards. A directing award would have been icing but I think they submitted too many. Maise is an amazing action actress, but doesn't get impressive monologues so not surprised she didn't get a nod. Actors don't seem to vote for athleticism unless someone drops 50 lbs. I like Gwendoline but found her a bit hammy as Brienne except in her action scenes. She kicked butt and that's such hard work, looking competent and realistic in a fight scene.

• Love 4

https://deadline.com/2019/09/emmys-ratings-fall-game-of-thrones-sunday-night-football-los-angeles-rams-1202742225/amp/

Accourding to Deadline, the broadcast was low-rated.  I used to watch the Emmy Awards every year, but I did not watch one minute this year because I don't recognize most of the shows.  Since I usually watch the major networks, I feel completely left behind by the focus on streaming and pay cable shows.  

Anyway, I regret missing the audience laughing at the Kardashians.  Hopefully this will be their last trip to the Emmys.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Black Mirror wins.  I'm sure Deadwood will try again... in fifteen years, when Bullock,Al Swearengen, and the rest of the gang will be in wooden wheelchairs and crutches, but till spouting massive amounts of profanity and killing people brutally!

I can believe that Bandersnatch beat Deadwood. That gimmick episode was more video game than movie. How could Emmy voters even compare it to other movies when pretty much each time you watch Bandersnatch you could get a different story?

I mean, I'm not going to get into the Hollywood Elite part. I get why they'd enjoy some of the streaming, cable, etc. shows that push the boundaries. However, I feel like the natural solution runs into the Grammy's problem. What should really be happening is that you have a bunch of smaller awards. An award for sitcoms, procedurals, soap operas, etc. But as with the Grammy's, having too many awards makes them a bit meaningless and most of the categories won't make it on the air even if people are winning. At this point, I don't think the majority of movies released by Netflix, Amazon, etc. are competitive with Hollywood movies so the Oscars are still fine. There are still a manageable number of mainstream movies to judge. But for all we hear about peak TV, the Emmy's haven't adapted. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I mean, I'm not going to get into the Hollywood Elite part. I get why they'd enjoy some of the streaming, cable, etc. shows that push the boundaries. However, I feel like the natural solution runs into the Grammy's problem. What should really be happening is that you have a bunch of smaller awards. An award for sitcoms, procedurals, soap operas, etc. But as with the Grammy's, having too many awards makes them a bit meaningless and most of the categories won't make it on the air even if people are winning. At this point, I don't think the majority of movies released by Netflix, Amazon, etc. are competitive with Hollywood movies so the Oscars are still fine. There are still a manageable number of mainstream movies to judge. But for all we hear about peak TV, the Emmy's haven't adapted. 

It is kind of interesting that the Emmys are still kind of hanging onto the idea that there is something called "Primetime" as these are the prime time awards. Now it would be hilarious if say next year Netflix submitted say Orange is the New Black for competition as a drama for the daytime Emmy awards

• Love 2

I love Tony Shalhoub as an actor. But honestly, I'm disappointed that he beat out the men from Barry for supporting actor in a comedy series.

He's perfectly fine on Mrs. Maisel, but I really don't think he brings much to the role beyond playing up stereotypical neurotic Jewish father traits. And he already had three Emmys for Monk!

I would have loved to see Anthony Carrigan or Stephen Root win for playing much more unique characters, IMO. I think the Barry supporting actors split the vote. If only one of them had gotten in, I think they could have won.

• Love 8

I think I watched a different show than everyone else here! I enjoyed it and laughed quite often. I can't stand Anthony Anderson, so was lucky to be cooking dinner when he was on. I thought the show zipped by and I even liked Thomas Lennon.  Hmm.

That said, I was disappointed in some of the winners. Anthony Carrigan is hilarious and I would have liked him to win supporting. I love Bill Hader, he's a supertalent, but c'mon, we won't have Ted Danson that much longer to kick around at the Emmys. He should have had a bucket full of Emmys at this point.

• Love 1

I don't think the majority of movies released by Netflix, Amazon, etc. are competitive with Hollywood movies so the Oscars are still fine. 

The Oscars also have the problem of having too many obscure Sundance winners are vying for the awards.  Nobody has seen them and nobody cares who wins among the 5 depressing Holocaust films of the prior year.  The last year that people were excited about the Oscars was when TITANIC won.  

Anthony Carrigan is hilarious and I would have liked him to win supporting. 

He steals every scene he is in on BARRY.  He totally deserved the win.  

My preferred change:  Add a Dramedy category.

Great idea.  BARRY would fit into that category. 

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Impossible to see him too many times!!

Once is too many times for me.

16 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

Damn you, Lorne Michaels, don't make me cry!!!

I never thought Chris Farley was funny.  Doesn't mean he deserved to die, but it does mean Michaels' speech did nothing for me.

16 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Peter Dinklage again. He was good but still this show had other male actors. 

I was hoping Alfie would win.  Nicolaj should've won for season 3, but wasn't even nominated.

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

WTF David and DB should have submitted “The Long Night” if they wanted to have a chance at winning.

I thought they should've used A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.  But definitely not The Iron Throne - I liked the episode, but it wasn't the best one of the season.

16 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Upset. I guess the GoT gals split the vote.

Yeah, I was pulling for Gwendoline but would've been fine with Sophie or Maisie.

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Was hoping for Bob Odenkirk, but I'm sure Billy Porter is more than deserving.  Although, I almost wanted it to be Kit to see if the world (or internet) would actually burn down (don't hate the man, but he's admittedly.... limited.)

He's actually surprising adept at comedy.  He should run with that.  He was fine as Jon Snow (because the role for a long time was mostly moping and sulking) but drama isn't his forte.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I love Tony Shalhoub as an actor. But honestly, I'm disappointed that he beat out the men from Barry for supporting actor in a comedy series.

He's perfectly fine on Mrs. Maisel, but I really don't think he brings much to the role beyond playing up stereotypical neurotic Jewish father traits. And he already had three Emmys for Monk!

I would have loved to see Anthony Carrigan or Stephen Root win for playing much more unique characters, IMO. I think the Barry supporting actors split the vote. If only one of them had gotten in, I think they could have won.

All this and more. Tony Shalhoub is great but he's won a bunch of times blah blah blah.

I was quite tickled to see Jason Bateman up for an Emmy then to see it was for directing. I've been watching him all the way back to Little House myself and I preferred him over Ricky Schroeder in Silver Spoons. He played smarmy Derek very well.

The whole cast of GoT should've been up on that stage to present that award and enjoy the applause. Bran, Davos, Friendzone leper guy and Sam. I was bummed they were in their seats. I didn't loathe Season 8 as much as some, I didn't want it to send on such a rushed note but I will miss it and I'm glad they won a final Emmy for the show as a whole.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Game Thrones loses director?  More splitting issues? 

Possibly.  Miguel Sapochnik should've won, but I'm fine with Jason Bateman.

14 hours ago, wallflower75 said:

WOW!  Jodie Comer wins over Sandra Oh!  (Appropriate music choice this time!)

I hated Villanelle by the end of season 1 - didn't bother with season 2.  So while I guess that means Jodie did a great job, I didn't want her to win.  (She's been good in other things I've seen, though.)

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Jared Harris was robbed.

I respectfully disagree. Jared Harris was great, but Jharrel Jerome was brilliant.  Jerome's performance in the When They See Us finale alone was disturbing, shocking, infuriating,  heartbreaking but ultimately uplifting. Jerome's Emmy win was richly deserved, as far as I'm concerned. As for Jerome's future career-wise, if there's ever a live-action version of Miles Morales, Jerome would be perfect.

Cheers to Billy Porter! His win was fabulous, his speech was fabulous, his suit was fabulous, his hat was fabulous-Hell, he's fabulous!

Re GOT's Best Drama win, the cast & crew deserve it; D & D, however, suck like a hooker on speed. D & D should have ended the show with the 10 episodes it deserved, not  just the  6 they wanted.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I’m beginning to think the Emmy voters hated the last season of GOT as much as the general public. 

I think people overestimate how many people hated the last season.  Plenty of us liked it.

14 hours ago, Popples said:

I'm actually kind of surprised, because that final season was so damn disappointing.

I didn't find it disappointing at all.  Maybe not as good as the first 4 seasons, but still better than most of what's on tv, drama-wise.

• Love 2

Agreed. The win really demonstrates what a popularity contest this is. That, and the fact that a lot of the voters probably don't watch all the shows. Maybe they see all the submission reels but if they don't watch the show they don't get the context. And I'm sure there are voters who don't even bother to watch the reels, they just vote for the person they like. Shaloub is great on Maisel but he doesn't have to do a lot of heavy lifting. Other actors have tougher jobs and do more impressive work. 

Am I alone in not getting the hype about Fleabag? I watched both seasons, it was fine, but I don't understand all the accolades. 

• Love 4

It was the worst awards show I have ever seen.  What annoyed me has already been posted here (many times over) so I won't repeat.  It was cringe-worthy to watch.  So many of the actors/presenters flubbed their lines, I am pretty sure there were probably no rehearsals at all.

As a couple of people have already said, most of these programs I don't watch.  We do have HBO, Netflix and Amazon TV but I refuse to  pay for any more.  Our cable bill is ridiculously high already.  I have a feeling that network programs will never win again.  I miss the days when This Is Us, Modern Family, West Wing, etc., etc., etc. would win awards.  No wonder the ratings were so low.

Wow.  Do I feel old today or what? 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I don't stream shows for a variety of reasons, so if it's not something that comes in with my satellite, I generally don't get to see it.  Hell, I've only ever gotten HBO for Game of Thrones, but kept it this time for Chernobyl.  (Did not expect to watch all of that one, but damn, it was excellent.)

14 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Did I miss it or did they award GOT with the final award but avoid directly awarding Benioff and Weiss?

No, they were the producers so they got the award.  And did all the talking.

4 hours ago, nittanycougar said:

Anyway, I regret missing the audience laughing at the Kardashians.  Hopefully this will be their last trip to the Emmys.

That was probably the funniest moment of the night.

38 minutes ago, DollEyes said:

respectfully disagree. Jared Harris was great, but Jharrel Jerome was brilliant.  Jerome's performance in the When They See Us finale alone was disturbing, shocking, infuriating,  heartbreaking but ultimately uplifting. Jerome's Emmy win was richly deserved, as far as I'm concerned. As for Jerome's future career-wise, if there's ever a live-action version of Miles Morales, Jerome would be perfect.

That's the thing about opinions, as long as we're respectful, we can gladly disagree.

I always record award shows so I can FF thru commercials, nonsense bits, musical interludes, and acceptance speeches by people I've never heard of. I can generally get through this in about an hour and a half.

It's not a surprise the ratings continue to fall. Fewer and fewer people are willing to sit through a 3-hour broadcast laden with commercials in this day and age.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Iris said:

I was quite tickled to see Jason Bateman up for an Emmy then to see it was for directing. I've been watching him all the way back to Little House myself and I preferred him over Ricky Schroeder in Silver Spoons. He played smarmy Derek very well.

Jason on Silver Spoons is a part of my childhood, Ricky was actually a terrible actor, Jason has always had excellent comedic timing, and, for some reason, he never ages!

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Am I alone in not getting the hype about Fleabag? I watched both seasons, it was fine, but I don't understand all the accolades. 

I am about halfway through season 1. I decided to check it out because of all the hype. It is funny and makes me laugh a lot mostly with dialog though. Compare that to The Good Place which on top of having really well written dialog, is also plotted out insanely well and has hilarious site gags. So far nothing in Fleabag has been as funny as Randy Macho Man Savage Non-International Airport. Not sure why The Good Place doesn't get more attention, is it just too weird for voters while Fleabag is easier to understand?

• Love 6