Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Savory Baking

• Start Topic

Good choice.  Now Matthew can go and be a "beast" somewhere else.  Just about everything that came out of that child's mouth was either inappropriate or incomprehensible.  Idiot.

"I'm a mom", right out of the gate.  Thanks Michelle, we knew you were going there. CONSTANTLY!  But I kinda like her.

Eddie has got a great hook as an ex-athlete turned cook.  Lots of material there for a show, so I think he's going to be in the top.

Jay from N.O. is growing on me.  Arnold impressed me, and I like his flamboyance because I like appetizing food that's pretty.

I'm back on the love train with this show, since they aren't going to drag out the Matthew drama.

• Love 18

Thank you, Baby Jesus, Matthew is gone. I can't believe that Gaida changed her mind at the very end.

His attitude just killed him. He is not the best chef on the show although he thinks he is.

• Love 16

Oh my!! I did not see that coming, but I LOVED IT!!! Also loved the fact that in an ad earlier tonight they mentioned "hash tag" regarding next week's show. Oh, snap and bwa ha ha!!

I just realized that perhaps they're trying to eliminate any "problems" with the this season's contestants so they don't wind up like they did last season, but that's just my two cents. :)

• Love 8

Giada was my hero tonight; she made the right call.  I was surprised when Bobby tried to dismiss Matthew's attitude as "just immaturity".   How's he going to be ready to host a show on TFN in 10 weeks, Bobby?  That would be a lot of growing up to do quickly!

I felt like the best part of the show, the last 10 minutes, was too condensed.  I would have liked more feedback from the pastry chefs as well as a discussion by the judges of each contestants' strengths and weaknesses.  It all seemed edited together really quickly.

I liked how many contestants managed to turn out good food.  I think the bottom 3 were the only ones who didn't make really tasty food this week.

• Love 9
(edited)

OH, SNAPPPPPPPPP!! 

OMFG, what an ending!  I screamed so hard my cat had to leave the room.

Sucks that if Matthole hadn't smirked then Sita would have been eliminated...it really should have been Emilia.  Sita is going to have to tone the talking down a notch.

Love Dom but getting really tired of him being nervous all the time....dude, this is a show that millions of people will see and if you cain't handle that then you're wasting everyone's time.  His dishes tonight made me whimper, as did Eddie's.

Speaking of which, enough with the 'Cheat Day' shtick...glad he was called on it and hope it stops now.

Arnold's table/food was the hit of the night....I know him from somewhere, wonder if he used to live or visit Philly.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 7
(edited)

Giada, all is forgiven (for tonight, anyway). That was freaking awesome. Something tells me Matthew doesn't hear "no" enough.

#dontletthedoorhityawheretheLordsplitya

Somebody needs to put an emotion chip in the Emiliabot.

Edited by SpottedCoachDog
  • Love 6

I may save that last bit of the show forever. Matthew's assholery was only growing with each show, so it's a good thing Giada changed her mind.

Cita isn't her real name? Good God woman, calm down.

Speaking of which.... JAY!!!!!! STOP YELLING!!!!!! WE HEAR YOU!!!!!!!

Rosa, Jay, Cita, Michelle were on my last nerve (aside from Matthew, that's a given). I would not want to watch any of them.

• Love 4

I'm going to type something I've never typed before, and may never type again.

Giada, for two minutes of television, you were my favorite Food Network personality ever.

That was cold-blooded, but AWESOME.

WORD.  The Giada-love is really fucking with my world view. :)

• Love 13

Hahaha that was freaking awesome.  I've wanted to smack that obnoxious brat ever since he was on Cutthroat Kitchen. I never thought I would love Giada the way I did tonight.  As soon as douchebag said "hashtag I got this" I had a feeling he was gonna tank.

• Love 7

I loved it. And Sita was spilling her guts like a guilty criminal. 'Sita isn't even my real name!' I laughed so hard.

I didn't think Bobby was excusing Matthew, I thought he was agreeing with Giada.

• Love 7
(edited)

I think they maybe are following last year's Luca storyline with Matthew: Luca, who has cooking chops, was eliminated on the second episode because he was nervous in front of the camera and, curiousely, Alex Guarnaschelli was the guest judge. He went to Star Salvation, conquered his fear, returned to the competition and was runner-up. Matthew, who's a good cook, was eliminated on the second episode for being arrogant and immature, Alex G. was the special judge, he'll go now to Star Salvation (which she'll host with Jeff Mauro), he'll evolve, conquer his 'demons' and have a change of attitude, most likely will win SS, he'll return and who knows if he'll be one of FN's final three. We'll see.

Edited by ny1221

I'm from Louisiana and would love to try Jay's beignets. I really like him. He just needs not to do a canned speech like he did for the bakery chefs.

Didn't Bobby vote to boot #DouchenozzleBabyHipster?

There's one major difference between Luca and #Moron.

Giada clearly wanted to bang Luca.  I don't think she can say the same about #Moron.

Exactly what I was thinking..and Luca had a charm about him and there's a huge difference between being nervous and being flat out unlikable and rude. I dont see  any similarities between Luca and Matthew and to be honest after last years mess with Lenny I dont think they would even attempt letting such an obvious asshole get that far far.  And IMO Matthew pretty much killed any shot at redemption tonight after he called Alex a "beast". That takes a special brand of douchery.

• Love 6

Every time Giada took a bite of food she grimaced, even if she said she liked the food. I think it's because she has to put food in her mouth. I don't believe she enjoys food anymore. And while I'm complaining about her, when she was calling out pork chop soup lady on her lie Giada's face full of teeth was scary.

None of these folks are shining to me. Big Louisiana guy seems at ease so he's easier to watch than some of these goof balls. Football player is easy to watch too, for all kinds of reasons. I also have decided that the women who leave their long hair flinging around as they cook should be docked in some way. It seriously grosses me out.

I liked the pastry chef's occasional glances of dismay & disgust. I imagine some of the food, as well as some of the people are very off-putting.

I'd like to think the last minute call of jerk face going home was off the cuff, but I'm so jaded about FN that I can see that being the complete plan all along. A good villain has something that's fun to hate. Mr. Hashtag had nothing but stupid to promote.

Oh, in case anyone missed it: KRAFT!

• Love 9
(edited)

I think they maybe are following last year's Luca storyline with Matthew: Luca, who has cooking chops, was eliminated on the second episode because he was nervous in front of the camera and, curiousely, Alex Guarnaschelli was the guest judge. He went to Star Salvation, conquered his fear, returned to the competition and was runner-up. Matthew, who's a good cook, was eliminated on the second episode for being arrogant and immature, Alex G. was the special judge, he'll go now to Star Salvation (which she'll host with Jeff Mauro), he'll evolve, conquer his 'demons' and have a change of attitude, most likely will win SS, he'll return and who knows if he'll be one of FN's final three. We'll see.

Are they doing Star Salvation this season? I haven't seen anything mentioned about it. I hope they don't.

My goodness! The way Matthew stormed back into the room where the judges were? Talk about attitude. And I was mad because it seemed they wouldn't eliminate him and then? Giada saw his smirk and asked if she could change her mind. I found it interesting how they just immediately went into feedback for who they were going to eliminate. Didn't they used to alway give a little feedback, kind of last chance feedback, to the bottom two before eliminating one?

I adored Arnold, Eddie and Rue (is that how you spell her name?). Still trying to remember who is who. Not invested so maybe by the time we are down to five or six people I will know who is who.

Edited by Mischievious
  • Love 1

Real or fake, I loved the drama of how they kicked Matthew off because I was sure they'd keep him around for yet another week. That was actually delicious. That little smirk on his face was killing me. And really I thought they would get rid of Emilia instead of Sita so I was surprised when they said her name.

• Love 3

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! I'm kind of glad Emilia is safe. I think she's probably a cool person in person, but doesn't translate well to TV. I thought she was going home since I thought she did the worst. I hope Sita goes soon. I do not like referring to yourself in the third person.

It's just so satisfying to see Matthew go. For once on a reality show the planets are aligned, justice prevails, and the most disliked person goes. I loved Giada's "Can I change my mind?" His statement, "I'm the best cook here!" was meant to show the judges and make them sorry, but it came across as "I'm going to tell my mom on you!" I wish Alex had smacked him when he called her a beast.

Now that he's gone, there's no one I really dislike. I like how so far the judging is weighing cooking ability over TV presence.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm happy that little prick is gone.  

I don't know why they were laughing at Rosa.  I liked her and I don't generally like over exuberance. She does remind me of Linda Belcher - just a little, but I love Linda Belcher.  

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1

The ending seemed really abrupt and rushed, but happy all the same. Matthew was a jerk both on here and on Cutthroat Kitchen, and his food during the baking challenge looked disgusting. I think all of the Chefs seemed nervous in both challenges but it makes sense, I would be very nervous too. I did wonder why many of the dishes looked fried instead of baked during a baking challenge, but I guess I'm nitpicking.

At this point I like New Orleans guy, Dom, Eddie and Rue. Not seeing anything interesting in the rest, but don't dislike them either.

• Love 3

That was the greatest elimination in the history of eliminations. I fell over on the couch and couldn't stop laughing. I hope mommy's little champion learned his lesson.

Rosa annoys me. She reminds me of someone from the Joisy Shore.

Rue is my favorite..at least for now. I think she'd make a good tv host and her food looks and sounds delicious. Plus she seems to support the other contestants and I like that.

I hate when they have Melissa as a guest judge. She never seems to have anything nice to say. It could just be me but the camera seemed to cutaway to them alot during the first challenge. And they both looked like they were rocking some serious bitch faces.

• Love 4

If Matthew wins Star Salvation, I hope he follows in the footsteps of "Lovely" a couple of seasons ago and is booted again as soon as he returns to the competition.  "Lovely"s 2 eliminations are among my favorite Food Network Star moments (second only to tonight's awesome finish!). LOL

• Love 4

For a "baking" challenge, there sure was a lot of store bought dough used. Michelle got called out on it, but she was by no means alone in using it. 

Bobby looks like he is just going through the motions this season. No energy or engagement at all.

I think Giada is hot, but damn, she's one of the few people I know of that looks better not smiling.

• Love 1

It was beyond ridiculous for the pastry chef to ask Michelle if she made the puff pastry herself. Yeah-- didn't they tell him they only had 90 minutes for the entire project?

Arnold's presentation (of the food) has been uniformly flawless, and his food seems to be pretty good, too. 

The editing seems to be very odd on this show -- when they told Eddie and Arnold they were safe, Bobby said "all of you can leave the studio" or something like that. Since when do two people constitute "all"? 

• Love 2

The chef judge with the black shirt (what was his name?) was obnoxious.  He was looking down his nose at all of the food, and if Arnold's food was the best, why did he look like he was going to throw up when he tasted it, before he said he liked it?

I hope Dom can overcome his fears, he seems likeable

Funny, funny ending.

• Love 2

I feel like I missed a scene after Matthew's dagger comment and the closing doors/transition to Cutthroat Kitchen.  Still, it was pretty amazing to watch him go down purely for being a #douche.  I feel like that doesn't happen enough.  And, though he may well be poised to push through some second chances show (which...may be what they wanted him for, since he was on CK twice they find him appealing in some way), I sincerely hope he doesn't come back. 

Sita always seems to me like she's yelling.  I think she also has to find a different way to say "Mama Sita" so that it's more Italian, because I keep expecting some kind of Latin cuisine from her.  

I find it interesting that they focus so much on in-person impressions when most of us will experience these people as tv characters.  Why not film a little closer to when it airs, then throw these people on in the daytime, or on the web or something?  I also found Bobby's comment that if someone doesn't bring it in personality they need to nail it in food to be off-base, for much the same reason (I'm never going to eat their food, really, so it doesn't balance anything if they're a great cook...or if I believe Bobby/Giada saying someone is).

• Love 1

Thank God!!!! I thought they were going to keep that ass for the entire run just for the drama. I can't even imagine why anyone would want to eliminate Sita instead of Matthew to begin with, Giada should have picked him to be gone right away.

he'll go now to Star Salvation (which she'll host with Jeff Mauro), he'll evolve, conquer his 'demons' and have a change of attitude, most likely will win SS, he'll return and who knows if he'll be one of FN's final three. We'll see.

No, no, NO. I'm not watching Star Salvation this year, but I am going to be pissed if they bring the contestant back & it turns out to be Matthew.

• Love 3
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks that the "surprise" twist of Giada changing her mind because of Matthew's smirk was totally scripted? It hit me as phony for a number of reasons, beginning with the fact that nothing spontaneous like that has ever happened in the history of this show.

Then, apparently Giada was about to announce Cita getting booted right off the bat until she changed her mind. I have never seen an elimination where the judges didn't talk to each one of the bottom three first, in order to draw out the suspense. It was like they needed to start with the elimination so they could get right to the shocker.

Also, the TV cameras showed Matthew's smirk in close up, but how could all three judges see his facial expression so clearly and respond at the same time. Bobby quickly said "he's very immature," like they would all know exactly what he was talking about. How does that happen? ESP? Or the fact that it was totally scripted?

I think they hired Matthew to play a part, and bring up the hash tag, which you'll notice, they are now using in a contest promotion. His "shocking" elimination after two episodes was all according to the script. (And who better to bring on for this little drama than stink eye Alex Guarneshelli?) I just don't believe anything spontaneous happens on this show. I'm calling total shenanigans.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 5

Damn it I accidentally spoiled myself again - they either air this way late here or I have the recording set way late, but if Matthew's gone I'm excited to watch the rest of the episode! All I saw was the very end. The rest of the show will be on in 45 minutes...

The editing was a little clumsy. It looked like Matthew stormed out of where the contestants were talking, like he was going to talk to the judges. Then the bottom three walk in together. Bobby saying " he's immature" Right in front of the three contestants? Seems like there was something left out. I wonder if the judges were given a heads up about how Matthew was talking to the others, and they realized he needs to go.

• Love 5

Yeah, I definitely think there was some additional douchebaggery going on with Matthew, beyond the smirk.  Didn't he say he had nothing to learn from the mentors?  I'm betting that got back to them one way or another, but it was much better to edit it this way.  Less of an ego thing on the part of the judges, and Giada gets instant redemption for now, to the point that some of us anonymous online folks might actually use her real name.

I wish there was more to talk about besides him, but frankly I can't remember.  

• Love 2

It was beyond ridiculous for the pastry chef to ask Michelle if she made the puff pastry herself. Yeah-- didn't they tell him they only had 90 minutes for the entire project?

Seriously. It made him look so stupid I have to imagine he was fed the line by producers because he could have just as easily said "why did you choose a dish that's a major component was puff pastry that you couldn't make in the time allowed," which would have put the point back on the fact that she chose the dish poorly! I think even in the cooking hosts who have demonstrated puff pastry on their show Ina, Anne, Sarah Moulton, and Martha demonstrated the technique once but even ended that segment by saying you can just buy it.

I may be a bad person because when Melissa critiqued Arnold's movie night story as being contrived I thought "it's not as agreegesly contrived as telling a story about your mother's suicide before every dish."

• Love 5

Mathews elimination did not look scripted to me at all.  Bobby wanted him gone, Alex's vote was for Sita so it was up to Giada.  His smirk got to her.  Bobby did not dismiss him as "just" immature.  He restated his point, immature.  He could not say arrogant asshole with the camera on him.  She got it.    Very satisfying. 

So Sita changed her name so she could go with her mamacita schtick, how contrived and silly. And worse to announce that!  I understand the necessity of eliminating those with fewer food skills first, thus the confusion with letting her instead of Matt go.  She will be out soon as will Emilia. 

• Love 5

I'm so thrilled Matthew is gone but I will defend his "beast" comment. It is a huge compliment to call someone a beast and I think Matthew awkwardly wanted to compliment someone he really respects food wise when he said that to Alex. The guy has next to no social skills so he screwed up in his delivery but it's very much a positive thing.

I would have loved to lose Sita too. She really bugs and not a single thing she's made had looked good.

I need Dom and Rue to get better on camera. Rue's pov would be something new for this network and Dom is just really likeable. Also, sorry Matthew, but it seems like he might be the best chef in the competition. All his food gets raves.

• Love 5

I'm shocked that they got rid of the obnoxious little prick so early, because obnoxious little pricks are the bread and butter of these shows. He also reminded me of Andy Samberg, and I'm missing Brooklyn Nine Nine right now. Not that I'm complaining, but everyone else is just kind of blah.

Was Eddie the football guy on Masterchef last year?

Whatever happened to the Cowdope that won last year? Did his mouth finally catch up with him?

I'm also missing Alton Brown and his one sided banter with Bighead. I guess he's got too much on his plate now.

• Love 1

Was Eddie the football guy on Masterchef last year?

Whatever happened to the Cowdope that won last year? Did his mouth finally catch up with him?

Yes, Eddie was on MasterChef.

See the other threads here discussing Lenny, mostly in the Media thread and FNS Alums thread.

It is a huge compliment to call someone a beast and I think Matthew awkwardly wanted to compliment someone he really respects food wise when he said that to Alex.

I respectfully disagree-  calling a truck, car, motorcycle a beast is complimentary.But a woman? oh hell no.  As a female with some extra junk in the trunk, I would be highly insulted and I think Alex was rightfully so. I am around a lot of young guys at work and "beast" for a girl is not positive.

• Love 7

I think last night's episode was one of the funniest and best edited I've seen :).  

Whether or not the elimination was scripted, I can't believe how they could not eliminate Matthew.  They had to have seen there is no way he was mature enough to handle his show; I mean the way he stormed off after he was in the bottom 3 and the way he stormed back in; but that smirk when he thought Sita was going to be eliminated.  He can not take direction or criticism; he would be a loose canon with his own show.   I also agree that when all the contestant were in the back room waiting for the final 3 to be called back and Matthew stormed off; I thought he was going out to say something to the judges.   

I thought we were well rid of Matthew, but I forgot about Star Salvation - oy vey!!!

But Giada changing her mind had to be the best elimination I've seen :). 

And now I can't remember who it was it that talked so much (Rosa or Sita) and can't keep under the time restrictions but when it came to the final challenge and she said it was wonderful not to be under time constraints and they kinda time lapsed it by showing her talking, and talking and talking :)

I'm hoping Dom get's over his stage fright, as I really like him.  Dom, Eddie, Arnold and Rue are my favorites.

• Love 3