Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Savory Baking

• Start Topic

(edited)

Regarding Matthew's reaction to Michelle, being sensitive is one thing; being a defensive jackhole is another. On a much better note, Rue is definitely one of my favorites. She was nervous during her 30 second camera presentation, but her dish looked great. Same with Dom. His on-camera presentation was a hot mess, but his pasta pie, despite its heaviness, looked good to me.

Speaking of looking good, that leads me to Eddie. His stuffed cornbread cupcakes looked almost as good as he does. Personality-wise, Eddie's taking the mentors' advice to dump the "cheat day" concept showed me that he has the maturity and humility that Matthew lacks. If Eddie keeps improving, I can see him in the Finals.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 6
Speaking of looking good, that leads me to Eddie. His stuffed cornbread cupcakes looked almost as good as he does. Personality-wise, Eddie's taking the mentors' advice to dump the "cheat day" concept showed me that he has the maturity and humility that Matthew lacks. If Eddie keeps improving, I can see him in the Finals.

I can see him doing a healthy eating show, emphasizing protein and portion sizes, but not to the extent that other "diet food"  people do.   Kind of a POV about moderation -   eating healthy, tasty food in a sensible way.  Amping up the spices, choosing leaner cuts of meat, not going overboard, but making favorite foods healthier.   More like an athlete's version of healthy, not someone trying to consume less than 1000 calories a day.   

• Love 4

I don't think the elimination was scripted.  But I do think that whatever "reaction" got Giada's attention and made her change her vote was not the simple smirk that we saw.  I believe there was some verbal exchange.  Perhaps one of the other bottom 3 brought up Matthew's remark about not caring what the Judges thought, and when Giada said "reaction" she was referring to his reaction to criticism rather than his reaction to Cita apparently about to be eliminated before him.

Either way, it made me love Giada.  I always knew the old gal had more than the occasional nip-slip in her bag of tricks.

• Love 3

I can see him doing a healthy eating show, emphasizing protein and portion sizes, but not to the extent that other "diet food"  people do.   Kind of a POV about moderation -   eating healthy, tasty food in a sensible way.  Amping up the spices, choosing leaner cuts of meat, not going overboard, but making favorite foods healthier.   More like an athlete's version of healthy, not someone trying to consume less than 1000 calories a day.   

I'd like to see him (or somebody) do a healthy eating/fitness oriented show that at least mentioned the Paleo diet sort of thing which is very popular these days in those circles.  Most people living real life who are interested and see some of the positive benefits don't have the discipline to go whole hog at it.  But some of the basic principles (more veg, less to no grain) can be of use and much like vegetarianism you don't have to be a zealot to get use out of them. 

• Love 5

I finally got around to watching this episode on my DVR and my husband walks in and says "hey that kid is that doucey one from that Cutthroat Kitchen show." Can't believe I hadn't recognized him, or that my husband remembered him from the one episode of CK that we have ever watched (sorry Alton, I love you so much but I just can't watch that mess). He was a total tool there too, so I don't think this was an act at all to give this show a villan unless he's playing the lonnnnggg con. 

One thing that made me cringe was watching all those pastry chefs take one bite of food and then pass the plates back to the contestants. I just kept thinking "what happens to all that food now?!" "Are they just going to toss that?" I know you can't expect these people to eat multiple plates full of food, but in that case, they should make the portions smaller....they better not be wasting all that!! And by the way....how do I get a job as a background person on this show....I'd be willing to do menial work as long as it meant I get to partake in any food tasting/leftover disposing. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I like Eddie too. I, too, am glad that he dumped the "Cheat Day" concept and narrowed his focus without making a stink about it. I think Eddie's cupcakes looked really good. I'd like to see him stick to a healthier cuisine route, since that seems to be his forte.

I am glad that Matthew is gone, but I completely understand reacting to the "as a mother let me tell you..." comment.  This might be because I am an intentionally childless woman, but I bristle when people assume that their motherhood gives them expertise in things that are not exclusive to raising a child.   It absolutely puts people into a hierarchy, and while I strongly believe it's important to learn from one's peers, Matthew was right that she was not one of the mentors.

I feel the same way. Every person has a mother. Most people aren't looking to other mothers to fill the void. The "as a mother . . ." start to any conversation makes me roll my eyes. Usually anything that follows that starter comes across as patronizing or condescending. Michelle lost a few points with me when she pulled that line out of her ass.

Matthew's a natural shit stirrer, so there was no need for her to waste time and energy trying to correct him. Tuning him out would have been the better idea, since it was a matter of time before the judges gave him the boot. Lo and behold, this was the episode for that.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2

I finally got around to watching this episode on my DVR and my husband walks in and says "hey that kid is that doucey one from that Cutthroat Kitchen show." Can't believe I hadn't recognized him, or that my husband remembered him from the one episode of CK that we have ever watched (sorry Alton, I love you so much but I just can't watch that mess). He was a total tool there too, so I don't think this was an act at all to give this show a villan unless he's playing the lonnnnggg con.

One thing that made me cringe was watching all those pastry chefs take one bite of food and then pass the plates back to the contestants. I just kept thinking "what happens to all that food now?!" "Are they just going to toss that?" I know you can't expect these people to eat multiple plates full of food, but in that case, they should make the portions smaller....they better not be wasting all that!! And by the way....how do I get a job as a background person on this show....I'd be willing to do menial work as long as it meant I get to partake in any food tasting/leftover disposing.

Usually, or so I've heard, the behind the scenes crew (camera people, etc.) on cooking shows will eat the leftover "demo" food after taping is over. I suupose that's only stuff that hasn't been bitten out of though--or else they'll remove a certain amount past where the tasting bite was removed & eat the rest anyway. I think I've also heard it can get sent (I guess if it's been made in large enough quantities) to, like, homeless & other shelters.

• Love 1

Matthew curled his lip one too many times and took a walk for it.  Was I ever happy!  It was my feeling that Alex's negativity about Matthew was the impetus for Giada changing her mind.  And speaking of Alex, I have much more respect for her after this show.  She doesn't take guff from anyone, especially a loose-tongued twat who calls her a beast.

I think that Dom might consider turning in his apron for a bus ticket to Hollywood.  Not since Paul Newman hit the screen have I seen such smoldering good looks.  Eddie is delightful and easy on the eyes, but Dom is in a class by himself. 

I don't know how Giada can evaluate the dishes when she takes only a teeny tiny bite of each one.  I take it that she's watching her weight.  Is it me, or does Bobby seem not to have his heart in it this season?

• Love 2

Matthew curled his lip one too many times and took a walk for it.  Was I ever happy!  It was my feeling that Alex's negativity about Matthew was the impetus for Giada changing her mind.  And speaking of Alex, I have much more respect for her after this show.  She doesn't take guff from anyone, especially a loose-tongued twat who calls her a beast.

But didn't Alex vote to keep him and dump Sita?

Are we sure when Alex said "Sita" and Bobby said "Matthew" that they were their votes to leave?  Was their a question beforehand?  If not, perhaps the question we didn't hear was "Who should stay?" 

This would also explain why Stepford Wife (can't remember her name) wasn't mentioned - such as Alex says Sita, Bobby says Matthew, and Giada says, "I say Sita too, no one voted for Stepford, so she's out."

It just seems to me that Stepford should have been on the very bottom (bad food and bad presentation) and that Booby seems to be wanting Matthew to stay when he said that Matthew was just immature - seemed like he was sticking up for Matthew. 

• Love 1

I will second the suggestion someone made last week regarding Alex's POV. He should do international street food rather than being king of sandwiches.

I was amazed at Arnold's display. While Emilia ran out of time to do much of anything he was able to both cook and come up with that!

I just can't get past Jay's eyes. Also, he's a big guy but he doesn't carry it as well as he could. I keep wanting to tell him to stand up straight and own his height.

I thought Giada's pork soup comment was actually being complimentary and being "present" as a judge - she could feel that this wasn't a dish that the contestant did a lot but the presentation was good and she said in essence that it was better that she could present a spur of the moment dish so comfortably.

I thought the same thing. Not usually a Giada supporter, but I felt like this was a pretty good-natured interaction -- she was saying it would be more interesting for her to say, "I found some leftover pork chops and decided to try to make soup out of them" than pretending that it's something she makes all the time.

• Love 1

Giada is still irritating.  After the way she sneers at people, I am not sure why she takes offense at it from someone else.  Or perhaps she thinks the stage is only big enough for one nasty attitude and she has the market cornered on that.

I like Emilia and am not sure why the judges are all over her for not grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

I still like Eddie and Jay.  Dom and Alex have potential too.  I hope Arnold is the next to go.  He seems so fake and staged, like he is acting out a part.  Kind of reminds me of Emily Ellyn in that regard.

• Love 2
(edited)

OH, SNAPPPPPPPPP!!

OMFG, what an ending! I screamed so hard my cat had to leave the room.

Sucks that if Matthole hadn't smirked then Sita would have been eliminated...it really should have been Emilia. Sita is going to have to tone the talking down a notch.

Love Dom but getting really tired of him being nervous all the time....dude, this is a show that millions of people will see and if you cain't handle that then you're wasting everyone's time. His dishes tonight made me whimper, as did Eddie's.

Speaking of which, enough with the 'Cheat Day' shtick...glad he was called on it and hope it stops now.

Arnold's table/food was the hit of the night....I know him from somewhere, wonder if he used to live or visit Philly.

Idk know if someone answered this for you, if they have apologies.

Arnold was on Top Chef season 7, they were in DC.

I kept saying to my self where do I know Arnold from? Finally I just Google him lol. What did we do before the Internet lol.

I think I Probably just remembered things back in the day :)

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

Hell, who DIDN'T want to bang Luca?

#adiosprickweed

is Dom the Luca this season or is that just me? Attractive Italian boy, cute accent, unpolished presentation skills, Giada clearly thirsty af for him....

Matthew curled his lip one too many times and took a walk for it. Was I ever happy! It was my feeling that Alex's negativity about Matthew was the impetus for Giada changing her mind. And speaking of Alex, I have much more respect for her after this show. She doesn't take guff from anyone, especially a loose-tongued twat who calls her a beast.

I think that Dom might consider turning in his apron for a bus ticket to Hollywood. Not since Paul Newman hit the screen have I seen such smoldering good looks. Eddie is delightful and easy on the eyes, but Dom is in a class by himself.

I don't know how Giada can evaluate the dishes when she takes only a teeny tiny bite of each one. I take it that she's watching her weight. Is it me, or does Bobby seem not to have his heart in it this season?