Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I love that commercial, too, but my favorite is the guy mowing his lawn.  "I'm pushing it, I'm pushing it real good." 

The first time I saw it, I thought it didn't include Spinderella since the first shot (the guy who pulls when he should push the door) was just of Salt and Pepa, so when she showed up in the back of the elevator in the next shot, I was ridiculously pleased -- I think the commercial is a lot of fun.

I keep waiting to get sick of the song because the commercial airs quite often, but I never did get sick of it back in the day, so it may not happen. 

To be fair, the song lyrics are repetitive enough that if you didn't get sick of it the first time you heard it, it's probably not going to happen. (For the record, I too love the commercial.)

But I *like* that house he's building the hedge to hide.

I wouldn't paint my house that way, but it's not something I'd wall myself behind a hedge to avoid looking at, either.  In fact, it makes me smile a bit.

• Love 1

Me, too! I work in a Victorian house that's painted maroon and various shades of pink. We tell clients to look for the Candy Cane House.

I think those houses are known as "Painted Ladies", lol. We have a few in our town , heavy on pink and burgundy

I think those houses are known as "Painted Ladies", lol. We have a few in our town , heavy on pink and burgundy

Yep, they are Painted Ladies. They come in various shades of all kinds of colors. Blue and green seem to be more popular around here.

I actually like the latest Yoplait commercial with the 2 ladies on the couch. The point is to announce that Yoplait is now aspartame-free,but the opening exchange in the commercial cracks me up:

Friend 1 "Guess what's gone?

Friend 2 (enthusiastically): "Kevin?!"

The look on her face is hilarious

• Love 3

I love that commercial, too, but my favorite is the guy mowing his lawn. "I'm pushing it, I'm pushing it real good."

The first time I saw it, I thought it didn't include Spinderella since the first shot (the guy who pulls when he should push the door) was just of Salt and Pepa, so when she showed up in the back of the elevator in the next shot, I was ridiculously pleased -- I think the commercial is a lot of fun.

I keep waiting to get sick of the song because the commercial airs quite often, but I never did get sick of it back in the day, so it may not happen.

I love the commercial too. I noticed that Spin still never closes her mouth. I remember from the days when Salt N Pepa were popular her damn mouth was always hanging open, she's still doing it.

I don't know if she thinks its sexy or what but she needs to close her mouth!

• Love 2

What's wrong with the dog in the funnel head collar, too?  Awfully long for a commercial, but I really did like it.

The "cone of shame"? Usually they wear it while recuperating from a neutering/surgery, etc. Keeps them from chewing their stitches out. Fun fact: it's called an Elizabethan collar for its resemblance to the lacy ruffs they wore back then.

I know what the funnel head is; I was just wondering if the dog was hurt at the same time the kid was.  I call the funnel/lampshades a "tiara" so that it's not so dreadful for the animals.  They still hate it, no matter what I call it.  hahahaha.  Until you work at a vet's office, you have no idea how cavalier owners are about their pets being protected by the "tiaras."  ("I just took it off him while he was getting into the car. I don't know HOW he chewed out all those stitches in that short of time...")  Sure.  We believe you.

But I still have no inclination to try PB Cheerios.

Love the Cheerios Dad commercial.  For once the comedic tone isn't made at the expense of a doofus dad and the kids seem like real kids, not overly precocious or bratty.  I wonder if it was inspired by the that family that does the song parodies for holidays on YouTube.  This reminds me of them for some reason.  It really is impressive if they did the commercial in one take.

• Love 2

There are some quick edits in the Cheerios ad that make it seem like one take. (When the oldest daughter closes the door, when the camera swings to look downstairs, when dad magically changes shirts. . ) However, I think the scene from the backyard slide to the finish might be a single shot.

There is not a single trope used in commercials featuring families that that commercial does not turn on its head. Dad's cool, but he has rules. The kids are responsible and don't whine. Dad believes that injuries are part of the natural risk of being a kid. Dad views his wife not just as being a mother, but as an attractive woman. And a large part of the humor comes from the way they do it. (Throwing the kid off the bed, not yelling at the daughter jumping on the bed, comments on the son's hat and daughter's profile picture, "hot stuff" )

• Love 1

I just rewatched, and it's not one-take. I think there are three cuts. Good commercial though.

(When the oldest daughter closes the door, when the camera swings to look downstairs, when dad magically changes shirts. . )

I didn't think those were the cuts. I believe the cuts were 1) when the son puts the cereal on the table then the dad sets the daughter there, 2) when the daughter is dancing to music, and 3) when we go outside.

Edited by peeayebee

There are some quick edits in the Cheerios ad that make it seem like one take. (When the oldest daughter closes the door, when the camera swings to look downstairs, when dad magically changes shirts. . ) However, I think the scene from the backyard slide to the finish might be a single shot.

I didn't think those were the cuts. I believe the cuts were 1) when the son puts the cereal on the table then the dad sets the daughter there, 2) when the daughter is dancing to music, and 3) when we go outside.

I think the cuts are: 1) When the dad changes shirts (though if that shirt had velcro instead of the buttons it appears to have, he could have put it on while the camera's on the girl jumping on the bed, and his pajama pants could be breakaway, but why bother?); 2) When the older sister shuts the door (the door frame doesn't seem to line up properly to me, so I think that's one); 3) When they turn to go down the stairs. I was originally sure this wasn't a cut, but "Nolan" is shown in his pajamas in the background upstairs, and then when next we see him, he's fully dressed and looking in the fridge.  There's no way he could make it down the stairs and to the fridge without appearing in the background when the dad is in the hall where he gives the mom the coffee, unless this house  has two flights of stairs, or there are two of him; 4) When Nolan puts the cereal on the table (it's the son he sets there, not the daughter); 5) When the daughter is dancing; 6) When we go outside.

Would it really have been so much to ask to put something in the mom's coffee cup?  Also, I think the older sister should have put the leash outside the cone, instead of inside.

Edited by janie jones

The Cheerios Dad commercial was pretty good. I liked at the end, when he's trying to catch Cheerios in his mouth that the kids are giving him the "please stop, Dad!" embarrassment face. Exactly how many kids did they have? I think five: two girls and three boys (older daughter, older son in the room, broken arm kid, baseball cap kid, little girl). Cheerios has put out some great commercials. (But I'll still with original recipe Cheerios, thank you, or maybe honey nut Cheerios.)

I also like the cheering dad one.

• Love 1

I thought there were five kids at first, too, but the older boy he wakes up is the kid in the trucker cap (he addresses him by name twice).  Plus they show four when they're walking in the street at the end.

Edited by janie jones

Also, I think the older sister should have put the leash outside the cone, instead of inside.

I didn't notice that. My sister's dog had to wear the cone of shame recently, and when I wanted to put the leash on her, I found that the collar was inside the cone. It took me a long time to figure out how to get the cone off so I could put the collar outside of it. 

There's a new ad for National University that has me laughing.  A guy is sitting watching football and eating nachos, and his girlfriend is sitting there bored, and the voiceover is saying something about how a sports fan's body produces as much dopamine as a player's body.  And now the guy can tell his girlfriend that she learned something from watching football, and you should attend National University to learn more.

That sounds absolutely asinine!

I had a cat once and he had to have a catheter put in after surgery. The vet put him in an Elizabethan collar and the next morning discovered that the cat had somehow managed to get out of the collar and tear out the catheter. So, this time, the vet sewed the catheter in and put the cat back in the Elizabethan collar. When the vet went back the next day, same thing...

• Love 1

Liked the concept of the Cheerios PB commercial but man, that was long.  It reminded me of the douche-tastic Cadillac ad where the guy nonstops talks his way all through out the house going on about American pride or whatever.  TWOPers know what I'm talking about.  This Cheerios spot also felt like it could morph into a skit like an old SNL or an Adult Swim one where things take a drastic turn.  Wonder where they play on airing it.

Liked the concept of the Cheerios PB commercial but man, that was long.
It doesn't feel like it though.  To me, anyway.  After I watched it several times to identify where the cuts were yesterday, I looked at the clock and wondered where the time went and realized that commercial was over 2 minutes long, rather than just 30 seconds! Good thing I didn't have anything to do yesterday.
  • Love 1