Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

I hope someone can help me identify this commercial. The thing is, I don't know what it's for, and I only caught a bit of it. There's a man (maybe a sales guy or broker?) who's talking to a woman. She's a psychic, but every time she tries to finish his sentence, she gets it wrong. She never acknowledges it even though he corrects her. I want to see it again because it was pretty funny.

I hope that description is enough to prompt those who have seen the commercial.

I just saw it today.  It's for TD Ameritrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJOUUQzWyA

• Love 2

First off, this thread is fabulous. I had so much fun reading it, and the best part was discovering all these wonderful spots I hadn't seen (I'll get to SCOOTER in a minute)!

This is a classic from 1981 (a time when new commercial campaigns would sometimes run to a full minute). I still recall it fondly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waRsphBoTts

I remember watching it with my father, himself a director of commercials (and therefore inclined to be cynical and analytical about them), and at the end he said "Isn't it the damnedest thing? They break your heart over their stupid hamburgers."

I loved the commercial and loved the moment you describe with your Dad even more. It just said volumes. And this commercial is a classic, and so sweet at heart. Sometimes I think nowadays there's so much cynicism and snideness built into our culture that ad people are too ready to equate innocence with stupidity. I'm not even a Hallmark person. But some of these ads are classics for a reason.

I'm not sure where to put this one, but it's cute more than anything. I present Scooter, the neutered cat!

Why was I not aware of this? How is this possible? I laughed like crazy all the way through this and then shared like a madwoman. Thanks for sharing that -- absolutely hilarious and creative and all for a great cause.

I also love the one for this internet service where the techs are installing it at a company, and one of them starts flirting with the female employee by saying, "Did it hurt? When you fell from heaven?" And she gets this pleased look on her face and says, "A little." Then the other guy takes Mr. Flirty by the collar and starts trying to haul him through the hole in the ceiling so they can get back to work. It's just adorable.

I love that commercial too -- the actors are all so genuine, and what makes it is that the nerdy-cute tech gives the girl this cheesy come-on, but he looks so adoring that you can kind of see her go, "Oh what the hell... yes, it did hurt when I fell from heaven..." I always feel bad when his cohort pulls him back into the ceiling -- I kind  of want them to run off into the sunset together. I will give the ad company a zillion imaginary dollars if at the end of this campaign they bring her back again for some kind of closure. (I have obviously thought way, way too much about this...) 

Those Polaroid commercials were wonderful. Always delightful interaction between Garner and Hartley, and they kept shooting new ones and varying the nature of the sparring between them so (for me) they never wore out their welcome. (For me, it also helped that I had fallen "in love" with Mariette Hartley when at age 21 she appeared in a Shakespeare play that I saw. Not only was it gratifying to see her become nationally beloved, I was also seeing her become financially secure for life -- as she confirmed in her memoirs.)

I always loved Mariette Hartley (even better with James Garner, as they both have that twinkle to them), and remember those commercials vividly from my childhood! But to me she will always be David Banner's most tragic girlfriend, for those of you who watched "The Incredible Hulk."  I was really little, but man, did I cry.

My own all-time favorite commercials would include: The EDS Herding Cats commercial (the actors are fantastic: "I got this one this mornin'. And when ya look at his face, it's just ripped to shreds..."):

The "Call of the Wild" ("Ricky") commercial (all the "RRRiiiickyyyyyyyyyyys" and "RickyRickyRicky" just slay me):

My late Mom's all-time favorite commercial was the Kia Soul "Party" Hamster commercial, which I thought was gorgeously produced and so much fun. I also love the DirecTV tiny giraffe ("Opulence, I has it") commercial (

). And, ahem, I find this difficult to admit, but... I have this incredible weakness for the Fruit of the Loom music video commercials and find them beyond hysterical. 

"My denim world had put me in a tra-aaaance

The world embraced my slate-blue underpa-aaaaaants"

• Love 5

Thanks, paramitch. I laughed like a loon, too. But recently, some networks have started running a "censored" version that attempts to bleep out "balls", but mistime their bleep, so you hear "balls" anyway. I'm not sure whether it's sad they're trying to censor it, or hysterically funny that they completely fail. Also, why is "balls" offensive, but "testicles" is apparently OK?

ETA: Love "herding cats". Wasn't it originally a Superbowl commercial?

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2

I had forgotten all about the herding cats one, but now that I’ve seen it again I remember laughing so hard.  I love the whole thing, but it’s the ball of yarn and the lint roller that tickle me most.

• Love 3

I love the USPS Priority Mail Christmas commercial with the box that a little kid has drawn on. Snowflakes, snowmen, a reindeer and a  sound track that shouts determination! :)

Wish I could find it on YouTube.

• Love 2

I love Stephen Colbert, but that's the first of his pistachio ads I've liked (and all credit goes to the eagle shifting away from him). 

I love them all, especially Rocky Mountain High, "he's fine". Lol.

I'm kind of digging the whole '80s series Honda is doing, even though I'm old enough that I only remember these characters from when my best friend and I had to watch her little brother.  I've seen Stretch Armstrong, Jem, Gumby, those weird little toys ("little people," maybe?), Skeletor (was that from He-Man?), and Strawberry Shortcake.

• Love 3

That's adorable. I love the fact that if you pay attention, it isn't the prom queen girl he notices even in the very first scene. That was pretty darn lovely. And I love how awkward and ordinary his girl is until he catches a glimpse of her dancing. Just a really sweet and positive commercial and one I hadn't seen.

My favorite parts of the Salt-n-Pepa Geico commercial are those when Spinderella makes an appearance in the background, especially in the elevator. The guy mowing his lawn is pretty funny, too.

I love the guy mowing the lawn because he is no longer delighted at Salt-n-Pepa, he simply wants to mow his freakin lawn, so he's like, "YEAH. I'm pushin' it, okay? I'm pushin' REAL GOOD (subtext: GO AWAY)."

• Love 3

I absolutely love the Scooter the Neutered cat ad. The bit about "Who's your daddy?" "NOT ME!" slays me every time. I am cat owner and all my feline housemates are neutered/ or spayed except for the youngest one. Luckily, there is a low cost neuter/spay clinic near my home.

I have to say that one of my favorite commercials is the one for Duluth Trading Company's long tail tees for women. The one with the gawking gopher.  Heck, Duluth Trading Company's ads make me laugh everytime. I have a kid who is planning to attend college in Minnesota so maybe it's time to check out their products?

Edited by ninjawirehead
  • Love 2

That's adorable. I love the fact that if you pay attention, it isn't the prom queen girl he notices even in the very first scene. That was pretty darn lovely. And I love how awkward and ordinary his girl is until he catches a glimpse of her dancing. Just a really sweet and positive commercial and one I hadn't seen.

Yes, he's looking at the brown-haired girl all along, but the blonde girl is standing in front of her every time and thinks he's looking at her. Which explains why she's so surprised when he walks past her at the dance. Not because she's conceited, but because she thought he was looking at her all along.

Edited by riley702

I like the Little Caesar's Pizza commercial where the guy is on hold to order a pizza and he's listening to a song made up of random phrases such as 'you're holding for pizza, holding for pizza....'  Then, when his wife comes in and says 'why don't we just go to Little Caesar's and get a 'hot 'n ready' pizza?'  the song lyrics change to 'don't listen to your wife....'

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 6

I like the wix.com commercials.  One has the tennis lessons gone wrong and the other is the parrots that keep mocking the owner.  I'm not sure why, but I laugh everytime I see them.

I like the Little Caesar's Pizza commercial where the guy is on hold to order a pizza and he's listening to a song made up of random phrases such as 'you're holding for pizza, holding for pizza....'  Then, when his wife comes in and says 'why don't we just go to Little Caesar's and get a 'hot 'n ready' pizza?'  the song lyrics change to 'don't listen to your wife....'

I love that one too. The way the guy cuts his eyes to the side when the song changes about how he's wasting his life waiting is hilarious.

• Love 4

My husband loves this one too.  He especially loves singing the "don't listen to your wife" lyric around the house. 

• Love 3