Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

scarletine ~

Just came here to post the same GE ad.  It's pretty cool, and fun to watch the inventiveness!

janie jones ~

The gizmo on the fishbowl was Molly's method to clean it.  It's hard to see, but there's a cleaning pad attached to the inside arm.

YAY Girl Power!

• Love 5

Good grief, when you don't check a thread now and then, it gets away from you!

There's an ad for hearing aids on the cheap, antenna channels that just makes me laugh. Eargo+ is the company and they have been funny for a while, "there's nothing more annoying than looking for those tiny hearing aid batteries...well, maybe there are." Lately they've got the guy who can't quite hear what people are telling me and the part about slaughtering the nuns just cracks me up. His wife actually tells him something about not forgetting to water the tomatoes when he's done.

Edited to add that since there isn't a thread for "makes you laugh your ass off", I guess this is the next best place. The hearing aid ad above and one for Perillo Tours (I may not have the spelling right) of Italy where the older (my age) man says that being on a Perillo Tour in Italy on his anniversary was the best way he's ever spent an anniversary! Really, better than all the anniversary sex over the years? No man I've ever known would prefer a tour of anywhere other than the bedroom. Ok, maybe I haven't known the best men. If my ex is any indication, I haven't! lol

Edited by friendperidot
On 9/29/2017 at 7:52 PM, friendperidot said:

There's an ad for hearing aids on the cheap, antenna channels that just makes me laugh. Eargo+ is the company and they have been funny for a while, "there's nothing more annoying than looking for those tiny hearing aid batteries...well, maybe there are." Lately they've got the guy who can't quite hear what people are telling me and the part about slaughtering the nuns just cracks me up. His wife actually tells him something about not forgetting to water the tomatoes when he's done.

You're selling a product to the hard-of-hearing...  WHY isn't your ad Close-Captioned (the whole ad, not just "What they really said")?  I wouldn't buy anything from these asshats.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

You're selling a product to the hard-of-hearing...  WHY isn't your ad Close-Captioned (the whole ad, not just "What they really said")?  I wouldn't buy anything from these asshats.

Maybe the same reason those commercials about "Non-24" (a condition limited to blind people) are shown on TV? 

• Love 2

I never noticed that the Eargo+ ads were not closed captioned. I listen to the tv more than watch. I guess because I grew up in 1) a time before there was such a thing and 2) grew up with a father who was all but deaf and wore hearing aids from the time he was a teenager, it's normal for me for the tv to be on loud. My father was born in 1927 in poverty in rural Arkansas. He had Scarlet Fever when he was four and he lost his most of his hearing. In the 1930s in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas, you didn't go to the doctor, if there was even a doctor available. His mother nursed him to health as best she could. In the next years, his sister taught him to read lips and body language. I'm not sure when he got his first hearing aids, but the first ones I remember involved a narrow headband with a piece tucked behind his ear, a cord that ran from there down to the middle of his chest and was attached to a box, which is where he actually heard the sounds. By the time I was an adult, his hearing aids had advanced, he had them on his glasses, he had smaller ones that attached around his ears. I do not see any stigma of hearing aids at all. May be getting some for myself in the near future, all those years of the loud music, tvs and age are catching up with me. 

Since it has been brought to my attention now that those commercials are not closed captioned, I may send some letters to the company and asking why not. 

Deafness is a normal part of my life since I grew up with my dad, he never learned sign language, it was never really offered to him. But in my youth, I took a class in ASL at Galludet and I've considered taking it up again, but my fingers don't do as well as they used to due to arthritis. I also had a friend in the early days of closed captioning tv who did that at Galludet. RIP Bob and Dad. And I had an Uncle who was blind since birth, Dad's mom had the mumps while she was pregnant. Thank God, healthcare and medicine has changed in the last 90 years.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I do not see any stigma of hearing aids at all.

There's not a stigma, or not near as much as one, but anything other than a basic amplifier costs $2000 per ear minimum.  I may be able to get one when I go on Medicare next year, but that's not an option if it's not covered by insurance.

I created an app for my phone that uses Android speech recognition to deliver "Closed Captioning in Real Life", but no one lets me use it...  Bummer.

• Love 1

There's a commercial on the ID channel for LiveLinks, which is obviously a phone-sex line.  It shows a young brunette girl posing in various costumes and duck-lipping for the camera.  I HATED it when it first came out but now I am curiously fascinated by it and I have to watch it every time it shows up - can't figure out why.  Is it the music, the narrator's low voice?  I'm hypnotized!  What the hell is wrong with me? (No, it does not "turn me on" - I'm too old and tired for that.)

Edited by mousegirl
3 hours ago, mousegirl said:

There's a commercial on the ID channel for LiveLinks, which is obviously a phone-sex line.  It shows a young brunette girl posing in various costumes and duck-lipping for the camera.  I HATED it when it first came out but now I am curiously fascinated by it and I have to watch it every time it shows up - can't figure out why.  Is it the music, the narrator's low voice?  I'm hypnotized!  What the hell is wrong with me? (No, it does not "turn me on" - I'm too old and tired for that.)

Is it the blonde or the brunette?  There are two very similar commercials, and it's the one with blonde that I can't stand.  She goes from one face right into another one at the very end, and it's obnoxious.  I'm sure it's supposed to be a sexy come-hither look, but she looks a fool. 

On 10/1/2017 at 6:37 PM, Fairfax said:

Maybe the same reason those commercials about "Non-24" (a condition limited to blind people) are shown on TV? 

On 10/1/2017 at 6:47 PM, chessiegal said:

They're blind, not deaf.

And, blind people watch TV too.

• Love 4

I've never known a blind person who even had a TV, unless it was for other members of the household (& usually kept in those members' rooms so as not to disturb the blind person).  A radio might be used for newscasts -- but a TV is expensive to buy & operate, while providing little of value to someone who can't see the pictures.

It's back. The commercial with a family at a college football game tailgate. The dad and sons at Florida fans, but the mom roots for Michigan. I just love the actress playing the mom. She's in her 40s, doesn't have a dancer's body, but she does the splits. Unless that was just CGI/photoshopping. If so, it fooled me. 

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, topanga said:

It's back. The commercial with a family at a college football game tailgate. The dad and sons at Florida fans, but the mom roots for Michigan. I just love the actress playing the mom. She's in her 40s, doesn't have a dancer's body, but she does the splits. Unless that was just CGI/photoshopping. If so, it fooled me. 

I love the mom, too. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, topanga said:

Is that the one where he wishes "mom were here with us..." instead of "over there"? I like that one.

• Love 4
On 9/25/2017 at 10:30 PM, ParadoxLost said:

Proving I have a juvenile sense of humor

I love this ad so much because of the doctor leaning in to hear how to make butter.  It’s subtle but it cracks me up.

• Love 6
On 10/6/2017 at 6:56 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Grandma and her girlfriend scrolling thru Tinder is what shot this to the top of my favorites:

I'm a vegetarian but really enjoy this ad, especially, "Millennials, am I right?"

And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely love the creepy Skittles commercial (in the "Bite Sized Horror" line) that's been freaking people out. 

The Carvana inflatable tube family commercial.

I guess it's been put away and brought out a few times, but it's new to me. It reminds me of one of my favorite episodes of Better Call Saul :)

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, rubaco said:

I'm a vegetarian but really enjoy this ad, especially, "Millennials, am I right?"

And this might be an unpopular opinion, but I absolutely love the creepy Skittles commercial (in the "Bite Sized Horror" line) that's been freaking people out. 

This is the first time I've seen this!  I love it!

On 10/15/2017 at 6:50 PM, Jaded said:

Has anyone mentioned the Swiffer cat commercial yet? 

Much better then the one that has a kid looking like he's going to cut his sister's hair.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wDDz/swiffer-wild-child

Swiffer's got a couple commercials with a dad doing the cleaning, which I like.  There's another one with a kid chasing a frog.  I like that it's a guy shaking his head and smiling before joyfully cleaning up after someone else for once.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 3:40 PM, rubaco said:

Oookay. Cool, but what has this got to do with bite-sized sugarbombs? It must be the beginning of a series. Hope there's a payoff soon.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2017 at 6:50 PM, Jaded said:

Much better then the one that has a kid looking like he's going to cut his sister's hair.

That's a he?

I always tell the commercial that the mother shouldn't give in to the blackmail and let the little girl live with a bad haircut.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I always tell the commercial that the mother shouldn't give in to the blackmail and let the little girl live with a bad haircut.

Too late. When the Swiffer ad pans over, the girl's hair is already cut on one side and he's working on top.

8 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Oookay. Cool, but what has this got to do with bite-sized sugarbombs? It must be the beginning of a series. Hope there's a payoff soon.

It has nothing to do with candy.  Mars made a few two-minute horror movies for Halloween.  I looked them up this morning.  The other two I saw were good, but I still think the elevator one is the best.

• Love 1

I can't find a link for it right now, but the commercial for the Nissan Rogue (I think) that features a couple playing Frisbee with their dachshund. As a doxie owner, I think it's adorable.  They love to chase, but you've got to keep stuff fairly low to the ground. They don't jump well. At least mine doesn't. 

On 10/5/2017 at 9:51 PM, Fairfax said:

I've never known a blind person who even had a TV, unless it was for other members of the household (& usually kept in those members' rooms so as not to disturb the blind person).  A radio might be used for newscasts -- but a TV is expensive to buy & operate, while providing little of value to someone who can't see the pictures.

I know a lot of blind people -- I work for an organization that trains guide dogs -- and not only do many of the blind people we serve watch and own TVs, some of them own smartphones and computers with screens. They even go to the movies, if you can believe it. "Blind" doesn't mean totally without sight; there are gradiations of visual impairment. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I can't find a link for it right now, but the commercial for the Nissan Rogue (I think) that features a couple playing Frisbee with their dachshund. As a doxie owner, I think it's adorable.  They love to chase, but you've got to keep stuff fairly low to the ground. They don't jump well. At least mine doesn't. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wDsJ/2017-nissan-rogue-new-tricks-song-by-journey

I had to hunt it down, I used to have a Doxie mix :)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

That's a he?

There are two commercials-- The Swiffer commercial where the boy is cutting the hair off all his stuffed animals and threatening to cut his baby sister's hair.  Then there is the commercial for some kids' drink where one girl is blackmailing mom into buying the drink or she'll cut her sister's hair off.  (I noticed recently the girl with the scissors has a cast on her arm.)  I posted in the Commercials that Annoy thread about how much I hate this one.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

one girl is blackmailing mom into buying the drink or she'll cut her sister's hair off.

Blackmailing MOM?!  WTF?  Why do they keep thinking this kind of behavior will sell products??  NOT TO ME!

8 hours ago, Snark Byte said:

My new favorite commercial.

I especially love the Pomeranian.

I can't get enough of this!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wT2M/petsmart-grooming-runway-song-by-meghan-trainor

I love this one, too.  I always stop to watch it when it comes on.

• Love 2

I am smiling ear to ear every time I see the Subaru commercial with the gal and her boyfriend and the dog. The dog hates the guy and growls at him, lies on his side of the bed, and the guy says "he hates my guts." Then they are at some camp site or something and the guy puts his jacket on the girl because she is cold. The doggie comes over and puts his head on the leg of the boyfriend and they all look so happy. I'm smiling just typing this. What a GREAT commercial.

I just saw this - while watching bleak, dystopian “Mr. Robot”- and it just made me smile. That dog acts the hell out of this ad! 

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I just saw this - while watching bleak, dystopian “Mr. Robot”- and it just made me smile. That dog acts the hell out of this ad! 

I love this ad too, yet it never ceases to amuse me that the same ad is discussed in most hated thread.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I love this ad too, yet it never ceases to amuse me that the same ad is discussed in most hated thread.

I always liked the commercial, but had a few misgivings because the woman is so blasé that her large powerful dog is behaving somewhat aggressively to her boyfriend.  Not good, not cool, not even fair to the dog to let him believe he's dominant in the "pack order" over the guy.  (I have a dozen unadoptable rescues happily flopped all over the place, which only works out peacefully because we all live according to my idea of how things will go, not theirs.)

I had totally missed the point that the dog softened his attitude when he saw the man wrap the woman in his jacket to keep her warm.  Derrrp, a dozen dogs and I had to have that commercial explained to me, here.  : )

So now I'm charmed by the sweet story (but still think there could be trouble if the laid-back guy ever has to dogsit and the dog disagrees.)

Edited by candall
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I like the ad and the way it ends, but my problem is with her bringing the dog and not letting her boyfriend know beforehand.  He's thinking that they're going to have a romantic getaway, just the two of them, and up pops the dog in the car.

• Love 3