Type keyword(s) to search

The Grinder - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think the kids were much nicer and better adjusted at the beginning of the season.   Their over-dramatic and narcissistic behavior has been increasing due to Dean's influence.   I think the show wants us to think how wonderful it is for them to have Uncle Dean there.  Sorry show, I'm not buying it.   Sadly, the kids hero-worship their uncle and are on their way to becoming similarly insufferable.

I agree, and with that hero-worship they are becoming rude and disrespectful to their own parents, who just put up with it, because of their own guilt about Dean, I guess?

I'm also tired of every courtroom scene devolving into nonsense.  Aren't they in Boise, not some hick town?  A few scenes like this maybe, but that every hearing/trial goes south and no judge will ever stop it just strains credulity.

• Love 1

Oh man, I know this show is probably on the verge of getting cancelled, and I was never a big Community fan, but I saw Jim Rash, realized Lowe's character's name, and was just expecting a "Come on, I'm Dean" sing-off. Did I out-meta Grinder?

• Love 2

I love how Dean manipulated the therapist's "code" to get his brother to do anything he wanted, and that Gillian adhered to it so emphatically. I don't blame Deb for quitting her job. I want her to sue them though, just to have Team Grinder take them on in court. Good episode.

• Love 3

This show would be insufferable without Fred Savage. His reactions to all the insanity surrounding him are really what make it all work. His exasperation with Maya Rudolph and Dean and Deb in that last scene were perfect. 

I know this show is probably on the verge of getting cancelled

Just checked the ratings, they are kind of bad. Both Grindr and Grandfathered are below the 1.0 threshold in the key demo. New Girl is a 1.4 and Brooklyn 99 is 1.0. So Grandfathered and Grindr lose a lot of their lead-ins (although more so for Grandfathered). 

• Love 6

I think each show is pretty distinct (stage crew v cast, for example) while the starstruckness of almost everyone for Dean remains intact (which I like, as it's almost another character). They have a lot of plotlines to run with--William Devane can certainly carry an entire series, let alone an episode, for example, and Deb has to have back story to build on. I hope Fox sticks with it and lets it build. Rare to have such a perfect cast and such good writing that matches their comic ability.

iMonrey, on 10 Feb 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:iMonrey, on 10 Feb 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

This show would be insufferable without Fred Savage. His reactions to all the insanity surrounding him are really what make it all work. His exasperation with Maya Rudolph and Dean and Deb in that last scene were perfect. 

Just checked the ratings, they are kind of bad. Both Grindr and Grandfathered are below the 1.0 threshold in the key demo. New Girl is a 1.4 and Brooklyn 99 is 1.0. So Grandfathered and Grindr lose a lot of their lead-ins (although more so for Grandfathered). 

Ugh and the fact that an un-funny show like The Big Bang Theory has a 3.94 (and is already renewed for what? a 9th season?) just makes me sad and angry.  The Grinder is SO much smarter and funnier. WTF is wrong with the American viewing public?

At least Brooklyn 99 is doing well. Well, relatively speaking. It's still only at 1.41.   

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 5

This!!!  I totally agree....it's hard to fault any of the actors since the casting was so great for all the characters.  But, Fred Savage is just incredible in his role.

ETA -- I just re-read the post I quoted.  Actually, I don't totally agree.  :-)  I don't think the show would be insufferable without Fred Savage.  I do think he's the best, but I think the rest are pretty good too.

Edited by MMLEsq
  • Love 5

Ugh and the fact that an un-funny show like The Big Bang Theory has a 3.94 (and is already renewed for what? a 9th season?) just makes me sad and angry.  The Grinder is SO much smarter and funnier. WTF is wrong with the American viewing public?

At least Brooklyn 99 is doing well. Well, relatively speaking. It's still only at 1.41.

I don't watch TBBT but as for the Grinder I would guess it hasn't taken off for many viewers because it comes across as one note. Most episodes have a similar storyline that gets old for some, including me. I know I am probably about 2 episodes past where I should have stopped watching. Great cast though so it is too bad they haven't evolved the storylines much from the beginning.

• Love 2

. I know I am probably about 2 episodes past where I should have stopped watching. Great cast though so it is too bad they haven't evolved the storylines much from the beginning.

This is me, too.  I wish Deb and Stewart had their own show, because I'm not wild about anyone else. 

• Love 1

Funniest episode so far.  Deb's newfound relationship with Zadayk (wanting to hang with him at the mall), Dean's continued announcement of no drama ("Like a Phoenix ... I will rise out of the ashes!") and that kiss between Dean and Jillian at the end.

Poor Stewart was so befuddled by that.

Don't know if the episode was really funny or if I just paid attention.

• Love 2

I must be on a different hemisphere.  I thought it was awful....just a continuation of the stuff last week I didn't like.  My issue is that I like Stewart and Deb, and I think in order to like this show you have to like Dean more than you like everyone else.  If this show was Stewart, Deb, and Claire, I would love it.  I just can't stand to see everyone being so negative to Stewart all of the time when he is the only one trying to actually accomplish something or actually cares about things.

I am curious to see what Stewart found out about his dad, so will watch for that next time, but if it is a continuation of everyone disputing Stewart yet again, I have to be done with the show.   

• Love 6

This one lost me. I have been raving about this show to anyone who would listen but if this were the first episode I watched, I wouldn't watch another one. IMO Maya Rudolph adds nothing to this show and the purposeful ambiguity of the dialog was tiresome. Zero stars.

• Love 1

I liked Claire's rejoinder to Dean pre-"funeral".  "I found your birth parents.  Here is their address.  They are waiting for your call."  Followed by: "I've known my birth parents for ten years.  We have a good relationship."  Oops.

Weak episode I thought. I want to like maya Rudolph and I do laug but she's too OTT. For the show to work ONLY dean can be OTT and his fans.

I REALLY hope the show doesn't pull some deb goes crazy when not working too much time on her hands bullshit. She was absolutely right to quit. She was in an impossible position. And Stewart is being an ass on wishing he had been consulted, it was happening right then, it was crystal clear the bosses would blame her for everything including accusing her of yelling when she was quite reasonably frustrated, Id quit too, and as a lawyer he should be able to support them for awhile if not forever.

This show is losing me... even the hotness of Rob Lowe is not making me want to tune in. Claire's dry sarcasm is getting intolerable and I find myself not caring about any of these characters. The episodes just sit on my DVR until I watch them just so I can delete. Sorry Grinder, I tried!

Maybe it's my long-term soft spot/crush for Fred Savage, but I am starting to hate Dean. Not even for what he does - he is who he is - but that everyone seems to worship him and every thing he says is bronzed and put on a pedestal. Even Deb has started to drink the Kool-Aid. Stewart can be a Debbie Downer, but he is usually does speak the truth. I want them to have a better balance between the 2 so that maybe Stewart gets a win once in a while.

Back to the episode, maybe I'm off base, but I don't trust Maya's character. She crossed the line with that kiss so maybe she is secretly evil and wants to destroy Dean and his family. Maybe even having something to do with the malpractice case.  I hope so, because she is a terrible therapist.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 4

I think part of the reason that Stewart is the way he is on this show is because Dean is a PITA all of the time.  The times they show Stewart and Deb safely in the company of just themselves, Stewart can be a lot of fun.  I would be tense with Dean around as well.

• Love 4

I think part of the reason that Stewart is the way he is on this show is because Dean is a PITA all of the time. 

Yeah Stewart has to be a Debbie Downer because Dean is a self absorbed twit. I really want to like this show because i like everyone involved and am terminally in love with Natalie Morales but Dean's head-up-his-ass-ery makes it very hard

This show is starting to lose me. Originally I thought it was so much better than Grandfathered. But now I am finding that I don't like many of the characters any more than I like most of those on Grandfathered. Which is to say not at all. Too much Dean (and I love Rob Lowe). More Stewart and Deb please.  And lose the therapist - she has been taking up way too much screen time. Oh, and bring back Timothy Olyphant. Claire is insufferable either way, but if the only way to have Timothy on the show is to have her there, then I will put up with her. But otherwise get her off my screen. And honestly, she is not nearly hot enough to have both Dean and Tim panting after her.

• Love 2

Weak episode I thought. I want to like maya Rudolph and I do laug but she's too OTT. For the show to work ONLY dean can be OTT and his fans.

I REALLY hope the show doesn't pull some deb goes crazy when not working too much time on her hands bullshit. She was absolutely right to quit. She was in an impossible position. And Stewart is being an ass on wishing he had been consulted, it was happening right then, it was crystal clear the bosses would blame her for everything including accusing her of yelling when she was quite reasonably frustrated, Id quit too, and as a lawyer he should be able to support them for awhile if not forever.

I get where Stewart is coming from.  I think a lot of spouses would want to be consulted that they were about to lose a significant portion of household income if at all possible.  It's not like Stewart is a big time lawyer.  It's a small office working on small cases.  It could be as simple as "I can't take working there any longer, what's our plan if we quit?"  Or she could have, like so many people do, stick in a less than ideal situation while she looks for another job because it's easier to get a job while working. After all, she had enough clout at her office to go through assistants. 

It's her life. I do support her quitting.  But she wasn't in an abusive office situation.  Just a no-win situation. 

Yeah Stewart has to be a Debbie Downer because Dean is a self absorbed twit. I really want to like this show because i like everyone involved and am terminally in love with Natalie Morales but Dean's head-up-his-ass-ery makes it very hard

And everyone sort of buys into Dean's thing.  I mean, Stewart's reaction to the psychiatrist kissing Dean could be seen as Debbie Downer but holy heck--she's a psychiatrist.  And Dean's her patient.  It's the opposite of professional which is why I found it hilarious that it came right after her "As a professional, I should walk away."  And it's also why, ultimately, while many characers are on Dean's side in some instances, the show overall is on Stewart's.

I do think the trouble with this show is that it's trying to redefine what it is.  It's two shows that work but it doesn't know how to mix them both.  It worked when it was mocking Dean's Hollywood life.  And it works when it focuses on Deb, Stewart and operates as a family sitcom with Dean as a supporting player.  But given that this takes place in Utah, keeping the Hollywood stuff going is tough and it'd naturally be the stuff to be pushed out in favor of the family stuff.  But that runs the risk of turning Dean into a supporting character and Rob Lowe isn't supposed to be supporting here, even though I find that's where he works best in most of his vehicles.

So it's kind of in an awkward phase because I think they may be trying to expunge the reliance on Hollywood send-up but aren't willing to sacrifice the prominence of Dean to do it.  We'll see if they can navigate the transition.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

I get where Stewart is coming from. I think a lot of spouses would want to be consulted that they were about to lose a significant portion of household income if at all possible. It's not like Stewart is a big time lawyer. It's a small office working on small cases. It could be as simple as "I can't take working there any longer, what's our plan if we quit?" Or she could have, like so many people do, stick in a less than ideal situation while she looks for another job because it's easier to get a job while working. After all, she had enough clout at her office to go through assistants.

It's her life. I do support her quitting. But she wasn't in an abusive office situation. Just a no-win situation.

And everyone sort of buys into Dean's thing. I mean, Stewart's reaction to the psychiatrist kissing Dean could be seen as Debbie Downer but holy heck--she's a psychiatrist. And Dean's her patient. It's the opposite of professional which is why I found it hilarious that it came right after her "As a professional, I should walk away." And it's also why, ultimately, while many characers are on Dean's side in some instances, the show overall is on Stewart's.

I do think the trouble with this show is that it's trying to redefine what it is. It's two shows that work but it doesn't know how to mix them both. It worked when it was mocking Dean's Hollywood life. And it works when it focuses on Deb, Stewart and operates as a family sitcom with Dean as a supporting player. But given that this takes place in Utah, keeping the Hollywood stuff going is tough and it'd naturally be the stuff to be pushed out in favor of the family stuff. But that runs the risk of turning Dean into a supporting character and Rob Lowe isn't supposed to be supporting here, even though I find that's where he works best in most of his vehicles.

So it's kind of in an awkward phase because I think they may be trying to expunge the reliance on Hollywood send-up but aren't willing to sacrifice the prominence of Dean to do it. We'll see if they can navigate the transition.

The show takes place in Boise, Idaho, not Utah.

I wish Maya Rudolph's character had been written to be more of the believable professional psychologist than the whacky incomprehensible unprofessional version that seems to be pretty standard on lesser sitcoms. And yeah, of course she is having an inappropriate relationship with him as part of that predictable shtick. Wish she had been more of a Claire toward Dean.

And maybe I'm just overdosed on Maya Rudolph popping up everywhere (nothing against MR). Part of the delight in Timothy Olyphant's role was the surprise at seeing him again playing out of character.

• Love 1

I got a lot of chuckled out of Jim Rash interacting with a TV-person named DEAN! lol!

And what was up with that "Grindfather" joke at the beginning? Was that a hint at the Grandfathered/Grinder rivalry? The 2 shows have very similar leads and they are basically fighting for the same spot for a season 2.

Oh! and Maya Rudolph! Hiiiii.

Edited by Big Mother

The premise of the show reminds me a little bit of Newhart, once it started to gel around Season 2. Almost every single character, besides Stewart, is sort of an absurd caricature. Stewart is the only rational person in this world and acts as the audience liaison in reacting to all these crazy people he's surrounded by. It was like that with Bob Newhart's character in Newhart (his second series - not The Bob Newhart Show). So, the approach itself isn't necessarily problematic, if the crazy characters are all funny enough.

For me the issue is the same as when I first saw the pilot - the premise doesn't seem like something that can be dragged out over multiple seasons. Dean's irrational belief that he's a lawyer because he played one on TV is a one-note joke that they just keep repeating over and over again, and it's already stale.

I thought I was done after last week's horrible episode, and I wish I'd stuck to that. This one was even more painful, just 30 minutes of every character treating Stewart like shit. I hated all these people--the awful father, stupid Dean, the wretched, gross therapist, even Deb and the kids. This episode was excruciating, and I don't think there was a single laugh to be had.

Watching someone--who is obviously right--get shit on by assholes for half an hour? Not for me.

• Love 13

I have pretty much given up on this show. Besides treating Stewart like crap, the whole therapist thing is just too OTT. Not only is she having an inappropriate relationship with a patient, she apparently is homeless so needs to sleep with said patient in the home of his brother - also her patient. And if that wasn't bad enough, she is butt ugly and has zero chemistry with Dean. If the writers were going to go for such an inappropriate story line thinking it is funny (it isn't) at least make the therapist hot so it can be a tiny bit believable. If the ratings for this show were already bad, I can't see it digging itself out of a whole with this type of pathetic writing.

• Love 1

Agreeing with these posts. Except I don't think Maya is 'butt ugly."  We can see how Stew's drowning in the sea of dumb-ass-ery around him. He's certainly been cornered in, he's more isolated - and HE'S THE LEAD.  The "normal" one. How else are we supposed to feel when everyone acts like he's the one at fault?

Claire is the other "sensible one" but her role is smaller and smaller, and they've really taken out Deb as being behind Stew and seeing the world the same way. (Which is baffling since her bosses certainly put her through a similar circle of hell... but there goes another plotline.)

I decided to watch this show, the premise seemed interesting, but it's really imploding. Sorta like The Last Man on Earth- which I also had to abandon. Makes me wonder if it's the 'creatives' behind the shows, or if some of this falls on FoxTV Comedy, which is continually trying to figure out what is funny and fails all too often.

• Love 4

I thought this episode was hilarious.  I think the biggest issue is that this is clearly part of a five or six part story and would work better shown in order. 

I like that Stewart is obsessed with finding out the truth even though everyone else thinks he's wrong because it's a great showcase for Fred Savage.  For instance, the one line that slayed me was "Dad, all the plants are plastic."

they've really taken out Deb as being behind Stew and seeing the world the same way.

I think she's still supportive.

And I also don't agree that Maya Rudolph is ugly.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I thought I was done after last week's horrible episode, and I wish I'd stuck to that. This one was even more painful, just 30 minutes of every character treating Stewart like shit. I hated all these people--the awful father, stupid Dean, the wretched, gross therapist, even Deb and the kids. This episode was excruciating, and I don't think there was a single laugh to be had.

Watching someone--who is obviously right--get shit on by assholes for half an hour? Not for me.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. I'm done with this show.

I'm fairly certain the weird, on-going plot line is somehow explained by the opening sequences with the Grinder. I just don't have the patience to piece together a coherent theory.

The best I have is either Dean is "underground", working to unravel the mystery. Or he is somehow working for the other side without knowing it.

This show still gets some laughs out of me and I haven't lost hope. The issue right now is they've tried to reverse the straight/crazy roles with Dean and Stewart and it just isn't working, but they're too deep into it to cut their losses and walk away from that story. 

Edited by ae2

The Dean character has never been appealing, and now they are ruining Stewart too.  OK, we get it, Stewart, and we agree that Dean is absurd and the way people fawn all over him is mind-boggling.  It's been going on for months.  Deal with it and act like the adult that you're supposed to be.  Don't just sit there and splutter during the "intervention," leave the room.  Tell the therapist that she's behaving unprofessionally, dump her and report her to the licensing authorities in the state.  Pull rank and take over your dad's case (and in any event I presume the firm has malpractice insurance, a judgment wouldn't ruin them).  Get rid of Todd - how does he still have a job?  But just like there would be no horror movies if the people in them behaved sensibly, I guess there would be no Grinder if Stewart grew up.  And "no Grinder" is starting to feel like it would be no big loss.

• Love 2

It was one thing when his wife and kids were on his side but now everyone has turned against Stewart and it's literally painful to watch. It was bad enough when the dad was always siding with Dean but now Deb too? Jeez. I suppose the season will end with Stewart locked up in the psychiatric ward and gee, won't that be funny? No.

• Love 6

The show just frustrates me now - i am fed up with Dean getting away with being a lunatic and everyone supporting him ! It isn't funny. If people didn't actually support his delsions, it would make a better comedy. Indulging him just makes the humour fall flat. 

• Love 2

Yeah, the therapist going from "I can't break the rules and tell you anything about what we discussed" to "blatantly taking sides against you while fucking him in your house" is just too much. It's no longer frustrating, it's criminal. Having the teenagers go against him was ok, but having his wife look at him like he's crazy and speak to him in the voice used to soothe wild animals is too much. The father favoring one kid was never funny to me.

I liked when the brothers bonded (like over their parents sexual adventures, or over just being brothers in general, or in the face of Olyphant disrupting), and when there was some element of Stewart having a supportive marriage and them being a team dealing with Dean transitioning from celebrity to regular person. There used to be some genuine balance in that Dean wanted to have family, he just didn't know how to chill the hell out and adapt to real life after being in LaLaLand for so long. But the therapist now ganging up against Stewart and throwing out all regard for ethics she formerly paid lip service to, and the marriage being strained as well, is just too much.

• Love 5

I agree with all of the above about the assassination of Stewart. In what world is is appropriate for a therapist to a) openly discuss other patients in front of others and b, c &d) SLEEP WITH A PATIENT! Nothing about the therapist was funny. Nothing about everyone ganging up on Stewart was funny. Dean as an intern could have been funny (I did like the part about him watering plastic plants and shredding the wrong documents), but that was just a minute in show time. I kept hoping at the end, it would be clear that Stewart was right and everyone would have to agree he was right, but no, instead more inappropriate canoodling with the therapist and ganging up on Stewart. Hard to watch because I love Fred Savage in this role.

• Love 5

I love Maya Rudolph.  I love Rob Lowe.  I don't love them together.  

I loved this show in the beginning but the premise has worn thin.  I'll wait until after next week to truly bail on it. 

I love Maya Rudolph.  I love Rob Lowe.  I don't love them together.  

I loved this show in the beginning but the premise has worn thin.  I'll wait until after next week to truly bail on it.