Type keyword(s) to search

The Grinder - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't know that this is fully resolved, yet. I think there's still a case to be made that while he didn't consult his client, Dean Sr. acted in his best interest at the time, and there's the manner of who is feeding the client the legal information to proceed with the trial. Considering he was played by one of the Lucas twins, I'm guessing there's some twin hijinks coming.

Sadly, you may be correct. I'm sure there are loose ends but I found the storyline so drawn out and boring that I lost track of what has and hasn't been resolved. I'm not at all convinced that a comedy is a good fit with such an extended storyline, particularly one that doesn't exactly lend itself to laughs, even for a comedy like this one that (thankfully!) isn't just a series of punchlines. The best interests of the client? An office rat? Yawn. 

As to the premise growing stale, I meant the overall premise of Dean being Dean. Whatever "self awareness" he manages to muster - in this case about the focus groups - is eventually undone and he is restored to being the way he was when the show started. He's just such an absurd character he doesn't really work for me long-term. I love Stewart and his wife and I think a workable show could be crafted just around him, his family and his workplace without Dean. It's Dean himself that I'm really growing tired of.

• Love 3

I think this episode was more on track, but for me it is too little, too late.  They diverted from this kind of episode for too long, that I no longer find these types of episodes as good as I would have before.  

I agree that this was more on track; I found it very enjoyable. For me, it really doesn't matter when they get back on track, as long as they get there. Having lost their way for awhile doesn't detract from the solid episodes. I just hope they're renewed and get a chance to grow because the foundation is so very strong.

• Love 4

Maybe I was just in a good mood but I thought this was the funniest episode they've ever produced. Did they get new writers or something? The whole thing was hilarious with all the comedy-of-errors - everyone was so well utilized. Clair having to pretend to be Dean's fiance, Todd being used as a scapegoat as a violent ex, the kids helping Dean Sr. go on an internet date, all the paths crossing at the wrong time at the restaurant. I laughed through the whole thing. I even saved this one to watch again, which I never do with this show. I hope this is a sign of improvement and not just a fluke.

• Love 5

The "simple" theme was interesting, as the writers appear to still be figuring out how they need to balance the show.

They obviously think highly enough of the audience to run with their complex storyline, but seemed to realize they needed a settling episode. One to give Stu some much needed backing, for some simple jokes and levity, while still acknowledging the bigger arc.

The Grinder is definitely an ambitious project. I don't know if it will have the legs to a second season, but I'd be interested to see what they would do with the lessons learned from the second half of their first season, and the security of a full season order.

• Love 2

I think this was the best episode since the winter break. It traded on some familiar sitcom themes like a husband and wife forgetting their anniversary but no one got mad when they both admitted they forgot.

But I think the best thing is that the mother is mildly disappointed in Dean. It was hilarious and it wasn't a situation where he necessarily won in the end.

I did wonder how they all got reservations at the last minute if stewart had to use dean to get his.

• Love 3

Figured Dean used his connections, but didn't explain how his dad got reservations so quickly. I figured that Stewart and Deb knew they forgot eachother's anniversary but were lying to everyone to save face. Speaking of face, poor Todd. Dean owes him big time.

What's really been missing from this show is someone who is immune to Dean and can completely work him. If his mother had been here all along I think the show would have felt more balanced. There has been too much Dean manipulation that no one can stand up against.

Stewart tries, but has no hold on Dean and is a bit of a pushover. Claire mostly just ignores his antics. Their dad does everything he can to encourage it. 

Figured Dean used his connections, but didn't explain how his dad got reservations so quickly.

That bugged me too!

• Love 3

I agree that this was more on track; I found it very enjoyable. For me, it really doesn't matter when they get back on track, as long as they get there. Having lost their way for awhile doesn't detract from the solid episodes. I just hope they're renewed and get a chance to grow because the foundation is so very strong.

I agree that this episode was a return to earlier season form. Unfortunately, there's no way this show is getting renewed.

The show was built on an unsustainable premise. I'm really tired of every episode starting with a scene from the fake "The Grinder" show as Dean's family sits enraptured by it and espouses its brilliance while Stewart alone sees the absurdity of it all. It's only the first season and the gimmick is already stale. Once they got that out of the way and dove into this week's story with the mother it became much more entertaining and enjoyable. 

The parts where people think Dean is awesome and The Grinder is brilliant are just annoying because Dean is such an absurd character and clearly The Grinder was a ridiculous TV show. It would probably work better if The Grinder seemed like a serious dramatic show and Dean seemed like a brilliant actor instead of a shlocky ham. Then at least the idea of him managing to impress and manipulate everyone wouldn't seem so far-fetched.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

I was kind of cracking up over how melodramatic the teenagers were being while Dean was interacting with them, and I had to laugh at Claire figuring out how to get Todd to do all her work. The parts with Stewart subconsciously sabotaging himself against the settlement meeting were kind of dumb, though. So was Dean Sr. running out of town and taking the grandson with him. 

I really really loved this episode. All of the side story talk made me laugh. I liked Dean and Pops trying to divide up the kids for their side stories. The culminating scene where they acknowledge the convenience of Dean's timing was also great. The meta stuff worked for me. It made me smile.

• Love 2

Best part of the episode was the Grinder having a son. I imagine in the Grinder show universe the kid never showed up again. I love how awful his tv show was. Part of me knows I would've watched it each week and came here to complain about how awful it is.

• Love 5

Best part of the episode was the Grinder having a son.

He appeared in another episode too when he revealed Dean was his father. But, it was funny he just left. It does surprise me that someone like Dean would be okay with them giving him an adult son. He's so vain, I would think he would hate that (i.e., he's old).

I actually liked the plot full of side plots. It spread the wealth around and I felt that all characters got a moment. And I could just watch Stewart and Deb talk in their bedroom for 30 minutes each week. Their chemistry is so good and they act like a real (if a bit over-the-top) couple.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2016 at 10:11 PM, Sparger Springs said:

Best part of the episode was the Grinder having a son. I imagine in the Grinder show universe the kid never showed up again. I love how awful his tv show was. Part of me knows I would've watched it each week and came here to complain about how awful it is.

I love that they continue to show the bad Grinder episodes. I'm sure that's an addition to the budget but they make me laugh so hard. 

• Love 3

Rob Lowe and Colton Haynes in tank tops?  God bless you, show.  

I love the idea of an episode just full of side stories because most side stories in most shows are either better than the main plot or "why are we watching this?"

This is such a fun show!  I'm glad they revealed the "mastermind" behind the plot to hurt the law firm of Sanderson & Yau, and the fact that it was the lawyer Dean decimated in the Pilot made it all the better.

I don't know if we'll get a 2nd season, but I'm a little unsure of where they could go with it if it does get renewed.  For all the enjoyment I've had watching it this year, it does seem like they've exhausted to possibilities of the show's premise.  (Then again, I thought the same thing back in 1987 when they announced the premiere of "Star Trek The Next Generation", so what do I know?)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Gregg247 said:

I don't know if we'll get a 2nd season, but I'm a little unsure of where they could go with it if it does get renewed.  For all the enjoyment I've had watching it this year, it does seem like they've exhausted to possibilities of the show's premise.  

I don't think there's any chance of a 2nd season, but I agree with this.

Loved the meta ending, though.

• Love 1

I've been up and down with this show but it ended on a positive note, and I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes. And yes, the tongue-in-cheek discussion about the whole thing "having legs" at the end was amusing and self-aware. 

Spent the whole episode trying to figure out who was playing the revenge lawyer and it's one of those actors that's been in everything. "Hey it's that guy."

I didn't understand what Stewart heard on the tape recorder that made him think of twins. And the whole subplot with Debbie giving a drunken interview to her kids got short-changed. I didn't understand what they were trying to do so it felt like something got cut out of that.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't understand what Stewart heard on the tape recorder that made him think of twins. And the whole subplot with Debbie giving a drunken interview to her kids got short-changed. I didn't understand what they were trying to do so it felt like something got cut out of that.

I think the twin said the wrong name. One was Cory and one was Rory and I guess the one twin slipped when the kids interviewed him.

Spent the whole episode trying to figure out who was playing the revenge lawyer and it's one of those actors that's been in everything. "Hey it's that guy."

Kumail Nanjiani, he's currently in Silicon Valley, and was in Franklin and Bash, which I liked a lot.   I laughed quite a bit at this series.  I enjoyed it the most went they were over the top.  It reminded me of Green Acres in that respect. 

6 hours ago, vibeology said:

I think the twin said the wrong name. One was Cory and one was Rory and I guess the one twin slipped when the kids interviewed him.

That is exactly what happened.  The wrong twin, in his interview, said his name was Ror--then he stopped himself and said Cory.  That gave Stewart pause and he went to dig deeper.

9 hours ago, Gregg247 said:

I don't know if we'll get a 2nd season, but I'm a little unsure of where they could go with it if it does get renewed.  For all the enjoyment I've had watching it this year, it does seem like they've exhausted to possibilities of the show's premise.  (Then again, I thought the same thing back in 1987 when they announced the premiere of "Star Trek The Next Generation", so what do I know?)

Rob Lowe did an interview recently where he spoke a bit about what he'd do in the second season.  I think it'd move a bit beyond the law firm and into politics.

I love this show but the main reason I want it to get a second season is because I think Fred Savage needs to keep being in front of the camera. 

• Love 8

I love this show but the main reason I want it to get a second season is because I think Fred Savage needs to keep being in front of the camera. 

Yes, I've been a fan since Wonder Years Days, but he is so natural and his chemistry with everyone, especially Deb, is amazing. I watch this show for Stewart.

• Love 8

I watched all 22 episodes but in the end, I won't really miss this show. I found it hilarious, but the same jokes over and over were tiring. I think my memories would be much fonder if it didn't get a back order. 

• Love 1

I thought this was a great final episode. I really enjoyed the season, but agree they got a little stuck in the same jokes.  It would be so excellent if it was an 8-10 episode/season show on USA or something.  It would have time to reboot and would feel fresh every year. 

• Love 1

Too bad, this is one of the few shows that makes me laugh out loud regularly.  I wonder if any streaming sites are interested.  "But what if it isn't?" has been repeated today on other sites,  but it is such a funny line and applies here.

• Love 3
On 5/12/2016 at 9:18 PM, Irlandesa said:

I think Fred Savage needs to keep being in front of the camera. 

+1000.  I may have originally tuned in to see what Rob Lowe was up to, but I stayed for Fred Savage.  I hope TPTB took notice, he gets offered another show, and that he takes it.

• Love 2

Sad to see this cancelled but not totally surprised. Fox seemed to have a lot of trouble launching new comedies this year. The support from critics gives me some slight hope that a streaming service might show interest in new episodes although I do think it's a long shot. I hope Fox will at least leave the series available for a while so that I can re-watch. 

I feel that this show is finally finding its way and moving on from the premise.  I like that while someone in the focus group was correct that Dean Sr was hiding something, it caused Dean Jr. to reevaluate his reliance on focus groups and that it did skewer the idea that television in general relies too much on ratings and focus groups.  

I agree with all of the above.  I thought the premise was hilarious (really enjoyed the beginning of the season), enjoyed the meta-commentary about tv (which was missing for awhile but made a fabulous return with these focus groups), and thought this episode was funnier and more sound than anything they've done since bringing Fred Savage's character to the front. 

I don't want to see this show turn into another show about an adorable couple with a hint of realness, and their weird relative who appears now and then in the background.  That's too close to an Everyone Loves Raymond formula for me.  I adore Rob Lowe, and think it's the triangle relationship between him, Stew, and the rest of Stew's life that is really the central comedic relationship here.  I don't mind if Lowe's character is toned down, but I want the show to keep bringing up the ways in which his perspective was completely distorted because he spent too much time in Hollywood. 

I think there's a ton of material that can come from watching someone, who has been far too credulous about accepting pop culture at face value, interact with more cynical, less privileged, but still intelligent and successful human beings.  It's the level of intelligence (and the clash between optimism and pessimism) that makes this show fun for me.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ToxicUnicorn said:

I feel that this show is finally finding its way and moving on from the premise.  I like that while someone in the focus group was correct that Dean Sr was hiding something, it caused Dean Jr. to reevaluate his reliance on focus groups and that it did skewer the idea that television in general relies too much on ratings and focus groups.  

I agree with all of the above.  I thought the premise was hilarious (really enjoyed the beginning of the season), enjoyed the meta-commentary about tv (which was missing for awhile but made a fabulous return with these focus groups), and thought this episode was funnier and more sound than anything they've done since bringing Fred Savage's character to the front. 

I don't want to see this show turn into another show about an adorable couple with a hint of realness, and their weird relative who appears now and then in the background.  That's too close to an Everyone Loves Raymond formula for me.  I adore Rob Lowe, and think it's the triangle relationship between him, Stew, and the rest of Stew's life that is really the central comedic relationship here.  I don't mind if Lowe's character is toned down, but I want the show to keep bringing up the ways in which his perspective was completely distorted because he spent too much time in Hollywood. 

I think there's a ton of material that can come from watching someone, who has been far too credulous about accepting pop culture at face value, interact with more cynical, less privileged, but still intelligent and successful human beings.  It's the level of intelligence (and the clash between optimism and pessimism) that makes this show fun for me.

Agree with everything you said.  I wish a streaming network or even a cable network would pick this up and explore those possibilities in a second season.  Fox (and all the big networks) are too quick to cancel shows.  Sad that FOX gave Scream Queens a second season (and it is truly awful), but couldn't give The Grinder or Grandfathered time to build an audience.

For me, it really went downhill when everyone on the show seemed to believe that a therapist sleeping with her patient while also counseling her bedmate's brother was normal, not to mention that I got tired of watching Stewart be s**t on by everyone all of the time.  Maybe other viewers felt the same, or it never gained a good audience to begin with.

• Love 1

Did anyone notice the poor quality of the wood used in the courtroom and also a door in the law office? It was all beat up and really shoddy looking, and I'm just watching on my crappy laptop, not HD or anything. I wonder if it was like that in other episodes and I just didn't notice before now.

It was really contrived to have the kids writing an article together about the case. And why the hell would the guy even be willing to talk to Sanderson's grandkids? I confess that I never really understood what that whole case was about anyway.

I, too, will miss Fred Savage being in front of the camera.

For me, it really went downhill when everyone on the show seemed to believe that a therapist sleeping with her patient while also counseling her bedmate's brother was normal

I agree, that story was asinine.  I wasn't sure if it was just me, since I have never liked Maya Rudolph in anything.

I would follow this show if it were resurrected somewhere else.  It would make a nice pairing with Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

• Love 1