Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, penbrat said:

I am ashamed to admit that I have seen Grease more times than I can count.   I don't just know the songs, I know all the lines too.  I think I need help

You don't need help.  Grease is a masterpiece.  Period. 

• Love 7

Grease is tremendous. Grease 2 is tremendously awful but in a fun way and their songs are still fucking earworms. I have gone to see Grease in the theater when they play older movies and didn't regret a moment of it.

Johnny Dangerously has been on one of the movie channels lately. I may have mentioned it in this thread before but this is a favorite of my family. It is ridiculous but it's fun. "You shouldn't hang me on a hook, Johnny... my mother hung me on a hook once.... once."

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

Grease 2 is tremendously awful but in a fun way and their songs are still fucking earworms.

I haven't seen the movie in years, but saw it so many times in my youth that I can still sing "Cool Rider" verbatim (at one time I could even do the choreography).  If I saw it on tv, I can guarantee I'd put it on at least for a little while. 

"You shouldn't hang me on a hook, Johnny... my mother hung me on a hook once.... once."

"The lower east side....this really sucks."

• Love 3

Grease is tremendous. Grease 2 is tremendously awful but in a fun way and their songs are still fucking earworms. I have gone to see Grease in the theater when they play older movies and didn't regret a moment of it.

I find myself singing "Reproduction" to myself every now and then. "Make my staaaaaaaaaamen go bezerk!"  Still holds up.

• Love 13

The CHURCH day "school" that my sisters and I stayed at during the summer when I was 10 or 11 played Grease 2 on VHS on repeat. This began the love affair with the movie. We didn't understand any of what we were watching (it was just catchy music!) but once I was old enough to realize, I was kind of horrified. My sisters were six to eight-ish years old.

We also put on a talent show to the Footloose soundtrack. Heady times, my friends.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

The CHURCH day "school" that my sisters and I stayed at during the summer when I was 10 or 11 played Grease 2 on VHS on repeat. This began the love affair with the movie. We didn't understand any of what we were watching (it was just catchy music!) but once I was old enough to realize, I was kind of horrified. My sisters were six to eight-ish years old.

The first slumber party I went to I was either five or six and the girl whose house we stayed at had the Grease album. We danced to it most of the night and she had, apparently, seen the movie because she told us all about it when each song came on.

So, yeah, getting older and understanding the words to "Greased Lightning?" Talk about the innocence of youth.

The differences between Grease and Grease 2 really made me laugh. I didn't mind the switch between the two leads but everything else felt a bit more watered down. Danny and Kenicki actually seemed like legit 50's hoods complete with switchblades and what appeared to be a willingness to actually fight. The other three T-birds not so much but then you get to Grease 2 and Johnny and the rest of the T-birds didn't seem to be threatening at all. Not to mention that Grease had characters who were getting laid on the regular but 2 came off as so much more... repressed in that area. Well, maybe Johnny and Paulette were getting it on but Paulette seemed to embrace her Marilyn image while the rest of the girls weren't anywhere close to that. Compare that to Rizzo and Marty and probably Frenchie, too.

Also, the Pink Ladies in Grease all struck me as being somewhat similar... tougher girls, maybe even from a similar social strata although Rizzo was probably on the lower end of that spectrum but I have absolutely no idea how the Pink Ladies in Grease 2 relate to each other at all, other than they wear the same jacket. I may have over thought all of this through the years but there you are.

Still, the songs in Grease 2 are insidious earworms. "Girl for All Seasons" will attack me in the night and stay in my head for days. And 'Cool Rider' is actually just kind of awesome.

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Michael was ridiculously hot. I wanted to be Stephanie.

Did you swoon when he stepped off his bike and removed his helmet after jumping over the pool?  I might have....just a little....  ;)

• Love 4

Love for Grease 2? I've found my people! I had the movie on VHS as a kid and watched it all the time, almost as much as the original.

1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Still, the songs in Grease 2 are insidious earworms. "Girl for All Seasons" will attack me in the night and stay in my head for days. And 'Cool Rider' is actually just kind of awesome.

Oh lord, this happens to me too, with the same song. I don't know why Girl for All Seasons is so damn catchy, but it is. Cool Rider is one of my favorite songs from either Grease movie. 

• Love 5

I'm a big fan of Jason Statham, ever since he graced our screen with "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" back in the late 90s.

He is very much a one-dimensional actor, mostly seen in action films. He also has dry-humour and is quite endearing at times, So that may explain why I love watching his "Transporter" films (four in total I think).

Lots of action, guns, cars, women and explosions. But Statham's charisma makes it fun to watch.

• Love 6

Definitely the Child's Play/Chucky horror films. Lately I can't stop watching Cult of Chucky, which went straight to DVD, but they've been playing it on AMC, and it's actually one of the better movies. I'm a little amused by the plot twist where Chucky

takes a page from Voldemort's playbook and clones copies of his soul in other dolls. Not to mention he puts his soul into the lead actress of that movie, played by Brad Dourif's daughter Fiona, and she NAILS the laugh.

10 hours ago, Zola said:

He is very much a one-dimensional actor, mostly seen in action films. He also has dry-humour and is quite endearing at times, So that may explain why I love watching his "Transporter" films (four in total I think).

I don't care if actors are one-note as long as they hit that note well and are entertaining.  But he also did a great send-up of his typical persona in Spy.  Such fun.

• Love 10
On 10/24/2017 at 0:12 PM, Dandesun said:

Johnny Dangerously has been on one of the movie channels lately. I may have mentioned it in this thread before but this is a favorite of my family. It is ridiculous but it's fun. "You shouldn't hang me on a hook, Johnny... my mother hung me on a hook once.... once."

"Are you aware that your last name is an adverb?"

• Love 5

I will watch Monster in Law every time it's on. I love everything about it. Jane Fonda is hilarious!

On 10/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, Zola said:

I'm a big fan of Jason Statham, ever since he graced our screen with "Snatch" and "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" back in the late 90s.

Lots of action, guns, cars, women and explosions. But Statham's charisma makes it fun to watch.

I pretty much only watched those movies for him. I even watched Transporter Refueled when they replaced him with Ed Skrein (who I think is also pretty attractive).

• Love 2

Although not a huge fan of Monty Python (their TV shows never really did much for me), I do love repeat watching a couple of films of theirs: "Monty Python and the Holy Grail", and "Monty Python and the Life of Brian"

Some memorable and hugely funny scenes from both ,and has a broad appeal not only to myself and partner, but also my parents, who both enjoyed the TV shows back in their day. 

And of course the latter of the two films has a very memorable song, which has also proven popular at funerals - "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life"

Edited by Zola
  • Love 4

I will not apologize for loving Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights (I prefer it to the first). I don't know if it's the dancing, or the rich white girl falls in love with the poor Cuban boy storyline, but I will always watch it whenever it's on TV. Luckily it's on Freeform tonight.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, twoods said:

I will not apologize for loving Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights (I prefer it to the first). I don't know if it's the dancing, or the rich white girl falls in love with the poor Cuban boy storyline, but I will always watch it whenever it's on TV. Luckily it's on Freeform tonight.

OMG I love this movie! My favorite part is the dancing montage. "It's like dancing with my mother's ironing board."

• Love 2

I've always been a fan of post-apocalyptic films.  Some are serious (Mad Max) others cheesy and/or campy.  America 3000 (1986) falls into the latter camp:

It's not the best of its kind, but I find it entertaining.  Amazons with big hair!  Men enslaved!  A sasquatch! A literal battle of the sexes!

Plus it has Chuck Wagner (Automan) in the lead role as the leader of the men's resistance!  That alone makes this a hoot!

Its Halloween season again, and I refuse to apologize for my yearly viewing of Hocus Pocus. Its so stupid, with millions of plot holes, hammy acting, and will always be the movie who taught me what a virgin was (Thanks Disney!), but I love it so much this time of year. The atmosphere is so Halloween-y, the ham is so very delicious, and its jokes are so silly that they somehow turn around and become hilarious. Plus, who doesn't love sarcastic black cats?!?

• Love 14
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Its Halloween season again, and I refuse to apologize for my yearly viewing of Hocus Pocus. Its so stupid, with millions of plot holes, hammy acting, and will always be the movie who taught me what a virgin was (Thanks Disney!), but I love it so much this time of year. The atmosphere is so Halloween-y, the ham is so very delicious, and its jokes are so silly that they somehow turn around and become hilarious. Plus, who doesn't love sarcastic black cats?!?

I refuse to call this movie stupid (I know, I know, but just give me this one little thing, please...).  It's so much fun. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 11

Anytime 'The Covenant' comes on the movie channels I'll watch it. It is objectively terrible. The women are there solely to be damseled and that's it. But the scenery is soooo pretty. And it's soooo ridiculous that even though it's supposed to be a horror movie (???) I cannot stop laughing over it's awfulness or drooling over the pretty pretty boys in it.

Come on. Taylor Kitsch and Sebastian Stan? And they're all on a swim team so there's a lot of shirtlessness.

I'm not made of stone, people.

• Love 6
On 12/19/2018 at 12:37 PM, Dandesun said:

Anytime 'The Covenant' comes on the movie channels I'll watch it. It is objectively terrible. The women are there solely to be damseled and that's it. But the scenery is soooo pretty. And it's soooo ridiculous that even though it's supposed to be a horror movie (???) I cannot stop laughing over it's awfulness or drooling over the pretty pretty boys in it.

Come on. Taylor Kitsch and Sebastian Stan? And they're all on a swim team so there's a lot of shirtlessness.

I'm not made of stone, people.

I mostly think that Andy Cohen is awful, but I did laugh my head off when Sebastian Stan was on Watch What Happens Live. Andy asked Sebastian if he had foreseen that The Covenant would have given gay guys so much jerk off material. The casting director hit it out of the park and really got the teen girl/early 20s young woman and young gay guy eye candy down. The film also featured Chace Crawford who was Nate on Gossip Girl, Steven Strait who was Warren Peace from Sky High and later starred in the Expanse, and Kyle Schmidt who played Aidan's vampire son in Being Human (US) who had a toxic homoerotic relationship with Aidan.

14 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I mostly think that Andy Cohen is awful, but I did laugh my head off when Sebastian Stan was on Watch What Happens Live. Andy asked Sebastian if he had foreseen that The Covenant would have given gay guys so much jerk off material. The casting director hit it out of the park and really got the teen girl/early 20s young woman and young gay guy eye candy down. The film also featured Chace Crawford who was Nate on Gossip Girl, Steven Strait who was Warren Peace from Sky High and later starred in the Expanse, and Kyle Schmidt who played Aidan's vampire son in Being Human (US) who had a toxic homoerotic relationship with Aidan.

Yeah, casting knew what it was doing. The female characters are so bland that they are easy for self-representation if that's your particular fantasy. "I can just imagine myself in their place." And if heteronormative isn't your thing, they lift right out and it's just a slew of very pretty boys wearing very little clothes really over involved with each other with lots of eye fucking and posturing.

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I mostly think that Andy Cohen is awful, but I did laugh my head off when Sebastian Stan was on Watch What Happens Live. Andy asked Sebastian if he had foreseen that The Covenant would have given gay guys so much jerk off material. 

Well don't leave us hanging, what was his reply?

• Love 2

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I love that scene when the sheriff's men are riding toward Marian's house and Azeem hands Robin his telescope who's never used one before. When he does he flails over into Azeem who's looking at Robin like what is wrong with you. Then Robin takes out his sword and tries to stab the sheriff's men with it while looking through the telescope. It's hilarious and every time that movie comes on I'll watch just for that.

Also, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio has amazing hair.

Edited by slf
yikes
  • Love 7

I love The A-Team movie.  I thought it was true to the spirit of the show while still updating it.  And I liked Face in the movie more than I did on the show.  Original Face tended to be whiny and prissy and made me wonder how he ever survived Vietnam.

• Love 3

Reign of Fire. Matthew McConaughey as a dragon slayer. Christian Bale tries so hard to make it respectable but McConaughey is just Not Having It. It's a hilariously bad movie.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, slf said:

Christian Bale tries so hard to make it respectable but McConaughey  is just Not Having It.

This!

He was chomping on that cigar almost as hard as he was chewing on the scenery. And what a great death scene.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2019 at 4:16 PM, slf said:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I love that scene when the sheriff's men are riding toward Marian's house and Azeem hands Robin his telescope who's never used one before. When he does he flails over into Azeem who's looking at Robin like what is wrong with you. Then Robin takes out his sword and tries to stab the sheriff's men with it while looking through the telescope. It's hilarious and every time that movie comes on I'll watch just for that.

Don't forget Alan Rickman chewing the scenery with relish.  Throw in the 1000-year out of place anachronistic Celts, that awesome tree house (Seriously I wanted to live there when I was a kid) and that Bryan Adams song, I will always love that movie in all its crazy glory.

And Mary Elizabeth Mastriantonio does have amazing hair.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, slf said:

I laughed so hard at that scene, as a ten year old watching in the cinema. And I still smile every time I watch it. Kevin Costner has always been underrated, especially his comedic chops. And Morgan Freeman's look of disgusted disbelief when he realises Robin doesn't know what a telescope does (although, of course telescopes weren't invented for another few hundred years), is beautiful.

The movie is historical gibberish, and normally that would annoy me, but my childhood memories override all the nonsense - Robin and Will having American accents, Prince John seemingly not existing, a load of apparently 'godless' Celts being brought down from Christian Scotland, the geographical confusion. I don't care. I love it.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The movie is historical gibberish, and normally that would annoy me, but my childhood memories override all the nonsense - Robin and Will having American accents, Prince John seemingly not existing, a load of apparently 'godless' Celts being brought down from Christian Scotland, the geographical confusion. I don't care. I love it.

When I was much younger, this bothered me because I had seen the Disney animated one so many times that his absence was jarring. As I got older, and more infatuated with Alan Rickman, I realized that Prince John's presence would have taken time away from the Sheriff, which would be a sin.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love Robin Hood: Men in Tights.  I don't care if everyone thinks it's one of the lesser Mel Brooks parodies, it's hilarious and I love it.

Men in Tights is amazing. It's funny because I went with my then-boyfriend and we were feeling not too enthusiastic in the very first part of the film. Once Robin got back to England and found Blinken... everything picked up. It was a relief. Blinken is totally the MVP in that flick.

'Hey Blinken...'

'Did you just say 'Abe Lincoln?''

Well, that and Dick Van Patten. "Hey Abbott!!" "I hate that guy!!"

• LOL 2
  • Love 8

Men in Tights is up there with Spaceballs, Young Frankenstein, and High Anxiety as my favorite Mel Brooks Movies.  My best friend and I loved that movie.  We would quote lines as in jokes for years afterwards.

50 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Blinken is totally the MVP in that flick.

Blinken in the watchtower

"Blinken, what are you doing up there?"

"Guessing! I guess no one is coming."

• Love 6

Men in Tights is so funny! One of my favorite Mel Brooks movies. I quote it all the time. Blinkin and Abe Lincoln, Blinken in as the look out or as he calls it "Guessing. I guess no one is coming." Then knocking down the ladder and falling, getting up "I can see!" then runs into a tree and decides he's wrong.  I can't forget the way he tells poor Robin his entire family is dead. 

Robin Hood: Blinkin, listen to me. They've taken the castle!

Blinkin: I thought it felt a bit drafty. Cor, this never would have happened if your father was alive.

Robin Hood: He's dead?

Blinkin: Yes...

Robin Hood: And my mother?

Blinkin: She died of pneumonia while...

[Remembers]

Blinkin: Oh, you were away!

Robin Hood: My brothers?

Blinkin: There were all killed by the plague.

Robin Hood: My dog, Pongo?

Blinkin: Run over by a carriage.

Robin Hood: My goldfish, Goldie?

Blinkin: Eaten by the cat.

Robin Hood: [on the verge of tears] My cat?

Blinkin: Choked on the goldfish.

[pause]

Blinkin: Oh, it's good to be home, ain't it, Master Robin?

Ahchoo everyone's reaction to his name, hopping from one side of the very small stream trying. Rabbi's response to Robin introducing himself and his Merry Men and Robin insisting their straight just merry. Will Scarlett O'Hara, how bad the villagers are when they try to train them. Will suggesting maybe they should take the dummies into battle. Robin insisting the people will listen to him because unlike other Robin Hoods he can speak with an English accent. Prince John not wanting to hear any bad news and making the Sheriff tell him in a good way so it won't sound so bad who does and then getting mad at him for laughing because its terrible news.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Don't forget Tracey Ullman as Latrine:

"We changed it in the 9th century."
"You mean you changed it to Latrine?"
"Yeah. Used to be Shithouse."

Nope, can't forget about her. Praying for the Lord to send to her one true love the Sheriff who comes falling through the roof and her cardboard cut of him which changes expression.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1