Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I really like "The Net", which is like Sandra Bullock's version of that movie, kind of, LOL.  Like I know it's kind of a stupid movie but I like it anyway.

I'm also fond of that one.  As big a cliche as it is, it succeeds because Sandra is just so damned likable.

And they got most of the computer stuff wrong, but did nail the easy of identity theft and the increasing social isolation that comes from doing everything online.

• Love 8

I had posted a long long list of 80s classics that I watch over and over again..

I omitted a franchise very important to me: Jackass.

I've been a fan since the first season was airing on MTV. The movies just kept getting better and better.

I don't know if it was the camaraderie of the guys. I don't know if it was the variety of "talents." I don't know if it was just the dick and fart jokes. I just know as a 41 year old woman, something still cracks me up today everytime I see Bam losing it behind Ehren, who simply thinks a. He's getting a good bit in the second movie b. That that is fake hair they're gluing to his face.

Am I alone in this?? Also, is there a PTV Jackass forum? I've tried searching every which way I could think of over the years and always wound up frustrated.

Edited by punkypower
Grammar is important.
  • Love 1
On 2/3/2020 at 9:32 PM, starri said:

The way Hackers portrays computers is laughably stupid, but I still find the cast really appealing despite all of that.

The soundtrack was also a terrific gateway drug into mid-90s electronica.

I love Hackers! I used to have a pretty big crush on Jonny Lee Miller because of that movie

• Love 4
12 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Armageddon is a guilty pleasure. So, so dumb. Also it's like it came about because Michael Bay was watching Apollo 13 where Mission Control geeks were the heroes and he was like:

giphy.gif

Ben Affleck's DVD commentary point about Armageddon always sums up the stupidity of the movie, for me - Wouldn't it be easier to train astronauts how to drill into a rock than it would be to train oil drillers to be astronauts?

But it definitely fits perfectly into Michael Bay's anti-intellectual theme.

• Love 7

The Devil's Advocate is a terrible movie, and its treatment of women is even worse. But I still watch it every few years. There's something about a expressionless yet likable Keanu Reaves and an over-the-top Al Pacino that gets me every time. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

There's something about a expressionless yet likable Keanu Reaves

So you like Keanu Reeves movies.

1 hour ago, topanga said:

an over-the-top Al Pacino

Probably one of the most watchable hams in the history of cinema.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I thought Keanu was a scumbag in that movie. 

When his wife Charlize Theron was upset, he went, “Stop! Reset!” Yeah, he was kinda the worst. 

7 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

So you like Keanu Reeves movies.

Basically. LOL 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, starri said:

Empire Records.  I know objectively it's not good, but I don't care.

That is a case of the cast making the movie. The story was weak but the cast really had great chemistry together and were so much fun to watch. I low level love that movie. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Michael Bay's best movie, and it's not close.

I agree it's his best, but I guilty pleasure the first three movies he directed. Bad Boys, The Rock and Armageddon

Then he decided to make movies about robot talking cars. 

• Love 1

Aw, Les McKeown, the lead singer of the Bay City Rollers has died and in honor of his memory, I give you a fun scene from So I Married an Ax Murderer-a stupid movie that was funnier than I expected it to be:

• Love 7
On 4/22/2021 at 5:53 PM, Shannon L. said:

Aw, Les McKeown, the lead singer of the Bay City Rollers has died and in honor of his memory, I give you a fun scene from So I Married an Ax Murderer-a stupid movie that was funnier than I expected it to be:

I associate that song with that movie and it makes me smile everytime.

• Love 4

Tank Girl.  I honestly don't know if the movie is actually good or not, but Lori Petty and especially Naomi Watts are pretty perfect.  And as someone who was a teenaged grunge/goth/alternative type in 1995, I wanted it injected directly into my veins.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, starri said:

Tank Girl.  I honestly don't know if the movie is actually good or not, but Lori Petty and especially Naomi Watts are pretty perfect.  And as someone who was a teenaged grunge/goth/alternative type in 1995, I wanted it injected directly into my veins.

I say it's actually good. Furthermore, the music still holds up.

• Love 1
On 6/26/2021 at 11:08 PM, starri said:

It might be stupid but this is one of the first movies I ever saw and I will always love it. Lori Petty, Naomi Watts, Malcolm McDowell and Ice-T = all great..

Still have the soundtrack and listen regularly.

• Love 3

On 2/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, starri said:

Empire Records.  I know objectively it's not good, but I don't care.

When I saw this thread this was the first movie I thought of. I love Empire Records, for awhile I would watch it anytime I was sick. It was a great 90s  soundtrack too.

I love Wild Hearts Can't be Broken. I just finished reading A Girl and Five Brave Horses which the movie was based on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I love Wild Hearts Can't be Broken. I just finished reading A Girl and Five Brave Horses which the movie was based on.

I knew a lot of girls who loved this movie! I actually re-watched it a few weeks ago. I never knew it was based on a book.

• Love 3

Is The Lost Boys pure 80s excess? Yes.

Is it well-made, fun to watch, and has better performances than it should?  Also yes.

Did Jason Patric with his shirt off help tween me figure out some stuff?  Most definitely.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 9/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, starri said:

Is The Lost Boys pure 80s excess? Yes.

Is it well-made, fun to watch, and has better performances than it should?  Also yes.

Did Jason Patric with his shirt off help tween me figure out some stuff?  Most definitely.

I love this movie. I'm not so sure about a remake/reboot.

• Love 4

Somebody on Twitter did a fancam of Marlon Wayans from the movie "Senseless" (1998) and it was so nice to remember how much I used to love this movie!

That also reminds me of "Head over Heels" (2001) starring Freddie Prinze!

Both movies about NYC!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Sorry if I've already mentioned these, here's three of my childhood favourites that I STILL GENUINELY like even though everyone online says they're terrible, LOL:

My Stepmother is an Alien
She's out of Control
Ladybugs

Have we already discussed "Mickey Blue Eyes"?  When I think of ultimate guilty pleasures, that's the first prototypical one that always comes to mind.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1