Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

Drop Zone: US Marshal Wesley Snipes goes undercover as a skydiver to get revenge for his brother's murder. LOL. Typical bad 90s action movie. Mostly I watch this because I still love Yancy Butler. 

Arachnophobia: A deadly Venezuelan spider makes its way to America where it rapidly breeds and takes over a town. An exterminator played by John Goodman basically saves the world. One of my favorite moments is when a spider crawls out of a dead woman's nose after she ate popcorn the spider was in.  This is actually a good dumb movie that knows what it is and is having fun.

Twister: "Bill and Jo Harding, advanced storm chasers on the brink of divorce, must join together to create an advanced weather alert system by putting themselves in the cross-hairs of extremely violent tornadoes." LOL. It's stupid but, like Arachnophobia, it's having fun. Tho I must say, I vastly preferred Melissa to Jo and Bill. "I have to go Julia, we got cows!"

• Love 4
14 hours ago, slf said:

Twister: "Bill and Jo Harding, advanced storm chasers on the brink of divorce, must join together to create an advanced weather alert system by putting themselves in the cross-hairs of extremely violent tornadoes." LOL. It's stupid but, like Arachnophobia, it's having fun. Tho I must say, I vastly preferred Melissa to Jo and Bill. "I have to go Julia, we got cows!"

I love how you could tell the evil stormchasers because they were in black SUV's. 

• Love 9
16 hours ago, slf said:

"She didn't marry your penis......ok, ok!......she didn't only marry your penis"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

"She didn't marry your penis......ok, ok!......she didn't only marry your penis"

"It feels unnatural, but with Donald's motility...you won't have a baby the usual way, even standing on your head."
"...She's a reproductive therapist."

I like that when she broke up with Bill she told him she wasn't even that upset. One of the movie's taglines was: "There is a Mystery. Elusive. Unpredictable. Violent. It terrifies most scientists. But for a new breed... ...the challenge is saving lives. The Research is deadly. And the Laboratory is nature itself." Hee.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, slf said:

I like that when she broke up with Bill she told him she wasn't even that upset. One of the movie's taglines was: "There is a Mystery. Elusive. Unpredictable. Violent. It terrifies most scientists. But for a new breed... ...the challenge is saving lives. The Research is deadly. And the Laboratory is nature itself." Hee.

It wasn't a great movie, but it did have some cute lines and nice moments.  I'm a weather weenie and would love to chase a tornado, just once, and was really hoping it would be better.

8 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I love how you could tell the evil stormchasers because they were in black SUV's. 

And wanted to get paid for their work.  The horror!  Yes, it was revealed that Evil Westley had stolen the design for Paxton's weather monitor device thing but, when we first meet them, the big negative was that he had financial backing.  They should have led with the design theft rather than the understandable desire for compensation.

• Love 8

I just went through this thread and liked a few posts mentioning movies that I rewatch. I don't think this one was mentioned yet and it's been a while since I last saw it so maybe I should rewatch it again soon:

Small Soldiers with a pre-Everwood Gregory Smith as the son of a toy-store owner and Kirsten Dunst as the girl next door on whom he has a crush. Copied from IMDB:

15-year-old Alan Abernathy, the son of a toy store owner, tries out some new action figures: The Commando Elite vs. The Gorgonites. But three months ago, a toy company believes it is onto something when it employs the latest government military technology in a series of action figures, enabling them to talk. They underestimate the power of the special micro chips they've employed, however, as the two opposing sides of the toy line start thinking for themselves and engaging in real combat! The Commando Elite vow to wipe out the Gorgonites in a suburban neighborhood. Alan, his neighbor Christy Fimple, (on whom he has a massive crush) with the help of the kind Gorgonites, must protect his home and family from the Commandos.

• Love 1
On 6/13/2017 at 2:13 AM, slf said:

Drop Zone: US Marshal Wesley Snipes goes undercover as a skydiver to get revenge for his brother's murder. LOL. Typical bad 90s action movie. Mostly I watch this because I still love Yancy Butler. 

I have found my people!

• Love 1
19 hours ago, xaxat said:

I have found my people!

That movie is a lot of fun. It may have a cheesy premise but everyone's enjoying themselves, the soundtrack is pretty good, Yancy Butler is awesome, and the skydiving scenes made me (briefly) want to try skydiving. It only comes on tv like once a year but I always watch it.

I'm not sure if it's "stupid" (ok, it probably is) but after discovering Heartbreakers is on Amazon Prime, I watched it for the 100th time last night. I find everyone so hilarious in that movie, including Ray Liotta and Gene Hackman (two people I don't normally think of as comedians).

• Love 7

Monster-in-Law.  I first watched it on TV because I wanted to see what brought Jane Fonda back to movies after a fifteen year absence.  If I come across it, I still stop and watch.  It can be fun to see Jane do her thing.  And maybe I'm still trying to solve the mystery of "Really, this is the script that reeled you in and enticed you out of retirement?"

• Love 4

Monster in Law is a guilty pleasure for me too. Yeah, it's mind boggling that this was the movie that brought Jane Fonda out of reirement, but hey, it's harmless fun. Still laugh my ass off at the slap-a-thon.

• Love 3

Center Stage. It's not even good! The acting and dancing and plot are all so cheesy! But I'll watch it whenever it's on. It has snotty ballerinas, backstabbing, Cooper riding a motorcycle onto the stage, love triangles, Jody's pink "good girl" costume unraveling to reveal a red "bad girl" one, a Mandy Moore song during the love scene, clogs, “I’m the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy! Who are you? NOBODY!"

• Love 9
6 hours ago, slf said:

Center Stage. It's not even good! The acting and dancing and plot are all so cheesy! But I'll watch it whenever it's on. It has snotty ballerinas, backstabbing, Cooper riding a motorcycle onto the stage, love triangles, Jody's pink "good girl" costume unraveling to reveal a red "bad girl" one, a Mandy Moore song during the love scene, clogs, “I’m the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy! Who are you? NOBODY!"

What do mean "not even good"?!?! You just listed all the reasons it is AMAZING.

• Love 5
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:22 AM, Princess Sparkle said:

I'm not sure if it's "stupid" (ok, it probably is) but after discovering Heartbreakers is on Amazon Prime, I watched it for the 100th time last night. I find everyone so hilarious in that movie, including Ray Liotta and Gene Hackman (two people I don't normally think of as comedians).

I love that one. Their all so hilarious.  Ray shooting the fish Gene being so upset to find out his maid was stealing his cigarettes. Paige kicking the door open as she comes into the bar and shoving the guy down the hill and her "story" as Allison working for the Turkey ambassador.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Pyralis said:

Playing right now on AMC - Unstoppable - Denzel, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, some bad CGI and a train.  Somehow it just sucks me in.

I love this movie, I can't even count how many times I've watched it.

(edited)
18 hours ago, Pyralis said:

Playing right now on AMC - Unstoppable - Denzel, Chris Pine, Rosario Dawson, some bad CGI and a train.  Somehow it just sucks me in.

As a Yinzer (someone from Pittsburgh) every movie filmed in or near the city is on my guilty pleasure list. Including that time Don Rickles played a vampire (Innocent Blood) and that time Jan Claude Van Dam dropped a helicopter through the ceiling of the old Civic Arena. 

ETA I forgot what brought me he in the first place. Armageddon is on SYFY right now and I am totally embarrassed to admit how many lines, shots, plot beats I know by heart. 

Edited by xaxat
10 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Con Air. Soooooo stupid and full on Bruckheimer but I still watch it whenever it's on. 

It has one of my favorite movie lines that, sadly, is too long and specific to ever work into conversation:  "Define irony.  Here we are on a plane and these guys are singing a song made famous by a band who died in a plane crash." 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love that one. Their all so hilarious.  Ray shooting the fish Gene being so upset to find out his maid was stealing his cigarettes. Paige kicking the door open as she comes into the bar and shoving the guy down the hill and her "story" as Allison working for the Turkey ambassador.

Sigourney Weaver as Ulga steals the whole thing for me:

"I think there is crack in statue!"
"Lady, that's just his butt"

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/24/2017 at 1:43 PM, amaranta said:

Monster-in-Law.  I first watched it on TV because I wanted to see what brought Jane Fonda back to movies after a fifteen year absence.  If I come across it, I still stop and watch.  It can be fun to see Jane do her thing.  And maybe I'm still trying to solve the mystery of "Really, this is the script that reeled you in and enticed you out of retirement?"

So, I went from thinking this is a below average movie to feeling like I need it plugged into my veins.  The other week, I swear to you, I was like, WHY DO I ALWAYS WANT TO WATCH MONSTER-IN-LAW.  I keep track of how often I watch movies, so I'm going to check the past few years for you.....  For those who haven't seen it, it also has J.Lo, Adam Scott, Wanda Sykes, and Will Arnett.  It's filled to the brim.

My personal pick is Obsessed with Idris Elba, Beyonce, Ali Larter, and Jerry O'Connell.  Let there never be a day where I am sick of watching Obsessed. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
(edited)

I love re-watching the "Airplane" films, along with "The Naked Gun" trilogy of films, if only because I love Leslie Nielsen's dead-pan humour. 

I also get a kick out of watching the original "Evil Dead 2" and "Evil Dead 3" with Bruce Campbell - the gore and violence is so over the top as to make the entire viewing experience a fun-filled-action-fest rather than being truly scared. 

I will also give the Bridget Jones trilogy of films an outing from time to time. I love romcoms, and Bridget Jones is one of the standout films in my book, even though all three are a tad silly (law of diminishing returns) - but all have great feel-good factors.

And finally there's the "Die Hard" films, and more so the sequels. All rather silly and not really my cup of tea, but when I have friends round they usually call for a Bruce Wills film, and invariably it's going to be a Die Hard.

oh, and don't call me Shirley! lol

Edited by Only Zola
  • Love 4

Martin Short was in a Clifford movie? There was a Clifford movie?

On 25/06/2017 at 1:09 AM, slf said:

That movie is fun. I like it.

I will also watch Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow whenever I see it. Enjoyed that one.

Miss Congenitality is another. Sister Act as well. Neither are as good as you remember but the energy carries them.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sister Act holds up for me.  I rewatched it recently and cried about 3 times.  Hahah.

I always well up when sister Mary Robert finds her voice. Every time.

I'm not sure whether this technically belongs here, but I think it's been judged to be pretty bad overall, so maybe it does - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I know Kevin Costner's accent is all wrong, I know "Because our father loved you more than me!" is kinda ridiculous, but I will always watch it if I come across it on the telly. "Why a spoon, cousin?"

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sister Act holds up for me.  I rewatched it recently and cried about 3 times.  Hahah.

I had an ex-girlfriend who claimed to be an extra in that movie so I had weird feelings about for a few years.

4 hours ago, Schweedie said:

I always well up when sister Mary Robert finds her voice. Every time.

I'm not sure whether this technically belongs here, but I think it's been judged to be pretty bad overall, so maybe it does - Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I know Kevin Costner's accent is all wrong, I know "Because our father loved you more than me!" is kinda ridiculous, but I will always watch it if I come across it on the telly. "Why a spoon, cousin?"

I will always love Prince of Thieves, I know it's not that great, but we get to see Alan Rickman chew the scenery, Morgan Freeman being awesome or all the other crazy crap that happened. I especially loved the anachronistic Celts and I wanted to live in that treehouse when I was a kid.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lugal said:

I will always love Prince of Thieves, I know it's not that great, but we get to see Alan Rickman chew the scenery, Morgan Freeman being awesome or all the other crazy crap that happened. I especially loved the anachronistic Celts and I wanted to live in that treehouse when I was a kid.

I think I once read a critique of this movie that said it seemed like the actors were taking different approaches to it.  Rickman going larger-than-life/OTT.  Costner going sincere.  (And reportedly cutting some of Rickman's scenes because he didn't want Rickman upstaging him---the only way for Rickman NOT to upstage him is to remove him from the movie).  And I think they mentioned someone else's take as well.  But with inconsistent characterization, clunky dialogue and meandering accents, Rickman's approach was the best fit and the most fun to watch, IMO. Whenever I watch, I absolutely live for that portrayal. He's incredible that way.  No matter the quality of the movie, he always threw down something compelling to watch.  I miss him.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8

Yeah, Center Stage is one of mine. Can't remember if I mentioned that here before. Also The Fifth Element. Is that a bad movie? I honestly don't think so but I think many others do. I'll watch it every time I come across it. The Warriors. I was just watching that one last night!

I was just scrolling up and I saw Con Air. Yep. I enjoy that movie way more than I ought to. Also the only time I've ever found Nicolas Cage hot. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 5

Con Air is bloody awesome. It's a ridiculous premise, but the whole (awesome) cast just completely commit.

Tangent about language barriers - I think I was about twelve when it came out and only started learning English in school a couple of years before, and I hadn't learnt the word 'convict' so didn't make the connection with the word 'Con'. I had, however, *just* started learning Spanish where 'con' means 'with' and was a very common word during classes, and my brain just assumed that's what the Con in the title stood for. So for many many years I thought that for whatever reason it was a Mexican/Spanish airline and that the name just meant "with air". Then one day a few years ago when it came on, I suddenly exclaimed "Oh my god, the 'con' stands for convict! It's a pun!" and everyone was like, uh, yeah, is this meant to be news?

• Love 6
23 hours ago, littlewonder said:

Oh, I just listened to an old How Did This Get Made episode and relived my intense love for Bloodsport.  It's not good.  I know this.  #kumite

Same for me with Face/Off. I've watched that stupid movie--and listened to the corresponding podcast episode--way more than what could be considered healthy.

• Love 4

Gods of Egypt is so, so stupid in so, so many ways, but I've discovered, now that I have HBO, if it's on and I have nothing better to do, I'll watch it.  Because apparently I cannot get enough half-naked Nicolaj Coster-Waldau.  Who is obviously just in it for the paycheck in this crapfest.

My FAVORITE stupid movie is "Rock Star", starring the inimitable Mark Wahlberg (and Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Olyphant, Timothy Spall, and Rachel Hunter in a "do you get it?" painfully obvious "wife of a rock star" tiny role). The movie is loosely based on the true story of Judas Priest's lead singer being replaced by a tribute band lead singer.

After the credits start rolling, there's an outtake when someone in Sound plays "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's" "Good Vibrations" and Mark Wahlberg, who is on set, is visibly embarrassed. It's good stuff.

There's actually quite a good soundtrack to the movie (Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, KISS, Ted Nugent, INXS, Verve Pipe), and the original music created for the film. This fine cinematic masterpiece may best be appreciated by those who are also connoisseurs of 1980s hair metal.

Here is my favorite original soundtrack song. Enjoy!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, bilgistic said:

My FAVORITE stupid movie is "Rock Star", starring the inimitable Mark Wahlberg (and Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Olyphant, Timothy Spall, and Rachel Hunter in a "do you get it?" painfully obvious "wife of a rock star" tiny role). The movie is loosely based on the true story of Judas Priest's lead singer being replaced by a tribute band lead singer.

After the credits start rolling, there's an outtake when someone in Sound plays "Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch's" "Good Vibrations" and Mark Wahlberg, who is on set, is visibly embarrassed. It's good stuff.

There's actually quite a good soundtrack to the movie (Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, KISS, Ted Nugent, INXS, Verve Pipe), and the original music created for the film. This fine cinematic masterpiece may best be appreciated by those who are also connoisseurs of 1980s hair metal.

Here is my favorite original soundtrack song. Enjoy!

I love this movie and the music!

• Love 2

I was flipping through channels before the start of baseball and stopped on TNT which was showing Michael Bay's The Island. I watched it until it was over.

It reminded me how much I enjoyed his pre-Transformers movies.  The Rock, Armageddon, hell even Pain and Gain. The weren't "good", but visually there were really entertaining. Even when he used the same tricks over and over again. 

I want that Michael Bay back!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, supposebly said:

The Underworld movies. They are so blue and pretty!

And I kinda like what they did with the origins of the whole Lycan/Vampire thing.

Reminds me of being a fan of the "Resident Evil" franchise with Mila Javovich. Not the most cerebrally-challenging of films, but great fun for those mindless evenings when logic and structured storylines don't matter.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:08 PM, xaxat said:

I was flipping through channels before the start of baseball and stopped on TNT which was showing Michael Bay's The Island. I watched it until it was over.

It reminded me how much I enjoyed his pre-Transformers movies.  The Rock, Armageddon, hell even Pain and Gain. The weren't "good", but visually there were really entertaining. Even when he used the same tricks over and over again. 

I want that Michael Bay back!

LOL.  I thought Transformers was a perfect movie.  Granted, it was 10 years ago.  I'll revisit it and see how I feel now.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Weekend at Bernie's is on right now and I can't help myself, I have to watch.

Forgot to add that I was really impressed by the physicality of Terry Kiser as Bernie.  The way he made his head flop around, side to side, front and back, made my neck hurt just watching him.  Not to mention the rubber legs, lol.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Weekend at Bernie's is on right now and I can't help myself, I have to watch.

I've set my DVR.  I haven't seen that movie in years and I'd like to know if it still holds up for me. 

11 hours ago, Ohwell said:

During a booze-soaked movie night several months back, a friend and I watched that for the first time since back when it first came out (when we both found it quite funny), to see what we thought of it now.  We were mostly sitting there either mildly chuckling or wondering when it was going to get good, and then we hit the speed boat scene.  We laughed so hard we were crying and choking.

• Love 1

I will always watch Maid in Manhattan whenever it's on TV. The fact that Jennifer Lopez plays a maid when in real life she's one of the Park suite divas is always laughable, but something about that movie still makes me want to watch it every damn time. I need help.

• Love 4