Type keyword(s) to search

Stupid Movies We Watch Over and Over and Over...

• Start Topic

Sliding Doors, the last time it came on was my 40th watch...I know the entire script verbatim.

I cannot understand it, but every single time it comes on, I must watch! The only thing that bothers me is how big of a heinous bitch Jeanne Tripplehorn plays.

I know people say Gwyneth Paltrow is a mega bitch in real life, but since I have never met the woman, or heard any of her quotes, I can only appreciate her acting, which in this movie is great! 

Bridget Jones Diary-ONLY the first one, the sequel was bizarre.

A Low Down Dirty Shame:Jada Pinkett Smith is hysterical!

Noah's Arc: Jumping The Broom, I just love the cast dynamic, its like being with old friends. The series was cancelled way ahead of its time.

Sex and the City:Just the first one, Ive decided the second one, simply didn't happen.

Love Jones: "Why does everything have to be so urgent with you?!" "I love you, thats urgent as a motherfucker!"

Muriel's Wedding, Toni Collette is just the best thing ever.

Love Potion Number 9

Who Framed Roger Rabbit :"Shave and a haircut, two bits!"

Edited by Fairlily26
  • Love 4

Well, one of my stupid-but-always-watch movies is on tonight: Something New. Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker overcome prejudice and fall in love in spite of their differences. I've no idea what it is about this movie - I am not a rom-com person and it's so many things I typically despise, and yet every time it's on? I change the channel to watch it. (I'm watching it as I type.)

ETA: oh god, Simon Baker's character is such a cliché. Why do I always watch this?

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 4

Can't stop watching Pitch Perfect. I'm a sucker for good music. I'm sure the sequel won't be as good but going to watch as well.

One of my favorites is The Wedding Singer. All that 80's humor still cracks me up, no matter how many times I watch it. Same with Bring it On and Clueless.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

Well, one of my stupid-but-always-watch movies is on tonight: Something New. Sanaa Lathan and Simon Baker overcome prejudice and fall in love in spite of their differences. I've no idea what it is about this movie - I am not a rom-com person and it's so many things I typically despise, and yet every time it's on? I change the channel to watch it. (I'm watching it as I type.)

ETA: oh god, Simon Baker's character is such a cliché. Why do I always watch this?

Hee.  I think it helps that Simon and Sanaa have great chemistry.   

• Love 4

Hee.  I think it helps that Simon and Sanaa have great chemistry.   

They really do. I mean, the movie is built on clichés, from every situation and character in it down to the golden retriever Kenya learns to love, but dammit, somehow they're charming together.

• Love 4

A Low Down Dirty Shame:Jada Pinkett Smith is hysterical!

Then you should see that fool in Kingdom Come, as Anthony Anderson's wife Charisse.  The minute she comes on the screen I'm laughing my ass off.

History of the World, Part One....Classic and I to this day I like to quote "It's good to be the King!"

Easy Money....Just stupid all around and I loved it.  Especially when Rodney Dangerfield's character had a mini breakdown and yelled at a fat little boy who wouldn't stop crying ("Will somebody shut that fat bastard up?!")

So no judgments on this thread right? Okay....

When I was a kid, I watched the Inspector Gadget movie all the time. I know it was stupid and it messed with the original cartoon, but back then I loved it. My aunt was one of the people that designed the gadget suit costume. And there were a few good/funny parts.

*hangs head in shame*

• Love 1
(edited)

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  My husband thinks it isn't funny at all yet it makes me laugh every time.  He has learned that it's one of those, "if you love me, you'll let me watch this without comment" kinds of situations.

Die Hard.  So ludicrous, yet I love it so much.  I will always watch it.  

Midnight Run.  Here's a movie I never hear anyone talk about, so I assume it's considered stupid.  But Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin?  Grodin might be the funniest straight man (and I mean that in the comedy sense) I have ever seen.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 4

I'm pretty sure none of these movies should be considered stupid.  Granted, Die Hard is "just" an action movie, but it's a very well-crafted action movie.  And I commend you for staying with your husband despite his poor sense of humor...

• Love 5

It's so silly, but I will always watch I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. It just makes me laugh at its absurdity.

So many classic moments in this movie (fish shoes)! I've seen it at least 10 times, but I'm never quite prepared for Jim Brown's toe lol.

*I also recommend Black Dynamite as a quality blaxploitation satire flick

• Love 4
(edited)

*I also recommend Black Dynamite as a quality blaxploitation satire flick

I watched Black Dynamite last week and half choked to death laughing. So serious and yet so hilarious all at once.

Also, I watched Pam Grier in 1973's Coffy, and none other than Sidney Freedman (Allan Arbus) himself was in it. And Captain Spalding from House of A Thousand Corpses. When my psyche completely recovers, I'll probably be watching that one a lot in the future.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 1

Midnight Run.  Here's a movie I never hear anyone talk about, so I assume it's considered stupid.  But Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin?  Grodin might be the funniest straight man (and I mean that in the comedy sense) I have ever seen.

I freaking love Midnight Run.  "He doesn't like to fly?  What the fuck does that mean?"

It's so, so painfully dumb, but I just love Face/Off.  John Travolta-as-Nicholas Cage is just a thing of beauty.  

• Love 4

I have issue calling Midnight Run "stupid" - but it does fall into the "can watch over and over again" bit for me. Grodin was fantastic in the movie, and I thought DeNiro was great too. So many great Hollywood "I know that guy but don't know his name"-itis in the bit roles too.

Poo, just went to correct a spelling mistake and there isn't a pencil to correct it. Is it taken away after a like has been added? To make this relevant to this thread I would like to add Different For Girls. Love me some young Rupert Graves.

• Love 1

I freaking love Midnight Run.  "He doesn't like to fly?  What the fuck does that mean?"

It's so, so painfully dumb, but I just love Face/Off.  John Travolta-as-Nicholas Cage is just a thing of beauty.  

I have issue calling Midnight Run "stupid" - but it does fall into the "can watch over and over again" bit for me. Grodin was fantastic in the movie, and I thought DeNiro was great too. So many great Hollywood "I know that guy but don't know his name"-itis in the bit roles too.

It might have been my favorite movie performance by Dennis Farina (I waver between this and Ray "Bones" Barbone in Get Shorty)

"You two better start taking more personal interest in your work or I'm going to stab you in the heart with a pencil."

RV -- I don't know why, it's pretty awful.  Actually, I do know why -- Jeff Daniels and Kristin Chenoweth. But still, that's no excuse.  I could watch Valley Girl every day for a long, long time; the soundtrack is great, and Nic Cage wasn't yet totally nuts. 

The hub can watch National Treasure like nothing you ever saw.  Finally, and thankfully, I can sort of tune it out.

The hub can watch National Treasure like nothing you ever saw.  Finally, and thankfully, I can sort of tune it out.

But why would you WANT to tune it out? Embrace the Nic Cage, harrie... become one of us... one of us... 

• Love 3

RV -- I don't know why, it's pretty awful.  Actually, I do know why -- Jeff Daniels and Kristin Chenoweth. But still, that's no excuse. 

Every single time I go for jury duty at Sacramento County Courthouse, they show us RV.  They apparently only have one DVD

I freaking love Midnight Run.  "He doesn't like to fly?  What the fuck does that mean?"

Ah, glad to see I'm not the only one who loves this movie.  I've never heard it discussed or recommended, so I got worried.  Thanks for the support, guys!

It's so, so painfully dumb, but I just love Face/Off.

I may have turned this on for a few minutes before bed.  The first 10 minutes or so are silly, but completely engaging.  I had forgotten about how fun John Woo movies can be. 

Embrace the Nic Cage, harrie... become one of us... one of us...

I have these long entrenched fond feelings for Cage, mostly because of Moonlighting (good), Face Off (silly), and Con Air (stupid).  I turned the corner on Leaving Las Vegas (I hated it), and have ignored him ever since.  Last night, I looked up all the movies he's done on Amazon.  So many!  And they look really terrible!  I had no idea, some of these must have gone straight to DVD.  He must have some kind of deal, though, because I'd need to pay for nearly all of them (and I have Amazon Prime).

I have these long entrenched fond feelings for Cage, mostly because of Moonstruck (good), Face Off (silly), and Con Air (stupid).  I turned the corner on Leaving Las Vegas (I hated it), and have ignored him ever since.  Last night, I looked up all the movies he's done on Amazon.  So many!  And they look really terrible!  I had no idea, some of these must have gone straight to DVD.  He must have some kind of deal, though, because I'd need to pay for nearly all of them (and I have Amazon Prime).

Fixed that for you, ToxicUnicorn, although calling it "Moonlighting" isn't as funny as what some comedienne said her dad called it - "Sunstroke". XD

• Love 2

Poo, just went to correct a spelling mistake and there isn't a pencil to correct it. Is it taken away after a like has been added?

The edit function is only available for a limited time after a post is made (a week, maybe, but I can't recall).

I don't know if this is generally considered a stupid movie, but I classify it as such: Top Gun.  Yet I have watched several of Sundance Channel's numerous airings lately, and I think I had it on VHS back in the day.  My like for Tom Skerritt cancels out my dislike for Tom Cruise, and Rick Rossovich at the beach doesn't hurt.  

Baby-faced Tim Robbins?  Great soundtrack?  One of the most unintentionally funny love scenes in cinema?  Michael Ironside and James Tolkan as foils to the lead character?  The power of Goose?  I don't know ... this is not my type of film, but I've been a little bit hooked on it ever since it came out for some reason.

• Love 1
(edited)

Thank you, Cobalt Stargazer!

It's so, so painfully dumb, but I just love Face/Off.  John Travolta-as-Nicholas Cage is just a thing of beauty.

I've just rewatched Face Off, and I'm here to say it was much better (and had far more spectacular stunts) than I remembered.  Hard to believe it came out nearly 20 years ago.

If Die Hard isn't a stupid movie, then Face Off isn't, either.  Of course, I'm the one who argued Die Hard was, so ...  

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 2

My best friend and I love Center Stage. Whenever we get together*, we have to watch it. We like to quote the lines alongside the movie. We also shout at Jody to stop being so stupid over Cooper. ("He's not your boyfriend! You two had a one-night stand!") Strangely enough, the girl never listens.

"I am the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy! Who the hell are you? Nobody."

* This doesn't happen all that frequently since we live on opposite sides of the country. It's not like I'm watching Center Stage every single weekend! 

• Love 5
Then you should see that fool in Kingdom Come, as Anthony Anderson's wife Charisse.  The minute she comes on the screen I'm laughing my ass off.

That was the one movie I liked her in.

My best friend and I love Center Stage. Whenever we get together*, we have to watch it. We like to quote the lines alongside the movie. We also shout at Jody to stop being so stupid over Cooper. ("He's not your boyfriend! You two had a one-night stand!") Strangely enough, the girl never listens.

"I am the best goddamn dancer in the American Ballet Academy! Who the hell are you? Nobody."

* This doesn't happen all that frequently since we live on opposite sides of the country. It's not like I'm watching Center Stage every single weekend! 

Oh, I freaking LOVE that movie.  "Cooper, you're an amazing dancer.  But as a boyfriend, you kind of suck."  Truer words were never spoken Jody Sawyer.

Another stupid movie I'll watch?  The Italian Job.  I know Edward Norton is clearly only in it because he was contractually obligated (so he's sleepwalking through the whole thing), and that it's a pale imitation of the original, but I completely enjoy it.  I love dumb action movies.  

• Love 2

Blades of Glory! As a former figure skater, I really do enjoy this movie. It's ridiculous but laugh out loud funny and dang it if I don't end up watching the entire thing every time it's on.

• Love 8

Office Space. 

And I want a red Swingline stapler.

The stapler at the copier in my office bit the dust, so I ordered a red Swingline to replace it (the price wasn't prohibitive, I had STAPLES Rewards $$, etc.).  The office manager quietly switched it out with her stapler.   Sadly, she knows nothing of Office Space and the dynamic attached to the stapler, and so does not understand the impact of her actions..  

• Love 5
The stapler at the copier in my office bit the dust, so I ordered a red Swingline to replace it (the price wasn't prohibitive, I had STAPLES Rewards $$, etc.).  The office manager quietly switched it out with her stapler.   Sadly, she knows nothing of Office Space and the dynamic attached to the stapler, and so does not understand the impact of her actions..

Good thing she doesn't know spaceytraci1208.

• Love 4

Office Space should be required viewing if you work in an office of any sort.

Yes.  I do a lot of temp work (I like the variety of assignments--not looking for permanent work).  Anyway, I recently walked off a job--yes, walked off--because it was so soul-sucking. Everybody in there looked whipped.  Every morning I walked in there, I would let out a big sigh.  The temp agency wasn't too pleased about it but I don't care.  Life's too damn short. 

I thought about jamming the copier before I left but I thought better of it.  Looking back on it, I wish that I had.

• Love 3
(edited)

I only saw Office Space once when it first came out. That's the one where they brought an office machine out into the field and beat the hell out of it with a hammer or something, right?  Best scene ever because when I was working in an office, at least once a week, the fax machine wouldn't work right for various reasons and I'd always mutter something to the effect of "That's it....someone find me a hammer."  My thoughts felt validated when I saw that scene.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3