Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E08: 10th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

ABC Press Release

"Dancing with the Stars: 10th Anniversary Special” Airs Tuesday, April 28

“DANCING WITH THE STARS” CELEBRATES TEN YEARS OF BALLROOM DANCING, SEQUINS AND SPRAY TANS AND MORE ON “DANCING WITH THE STARS: 10TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL,” ON APRIL 28

The pop culture phenomenon that has brought ballroom dancing and beyond to living rooms across America for the past decade celebrates with a star-studded spectacular, on “Dancing with the Stars: 10th Anniversary Special,” TUESDAY APRIL 28 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET/PT)on the ABC TelevisionNetwork.

The extraordinary episode will be filled with show-stopping performances featuring past and present “Dancing with the Stars” cast members and pro dancers plus a look back at fan-favorite moments from the past 20 seasons. Dancing history will be made with the show’s largest opening number ever, featuring over 45 stars including the judges, hosts, and Season 20 pro dancers performing alongside 15 celebrity alums and seven returning pros.

Viewers can expect to see exciting new routines, with everything from an NFL football player ensemble to a “bromance” dance. Trading in their cleats for dance shoes, Superbowl Champions Donald Driver, Hines Ward, Kurt Warner, Jacoby Jones, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice will perform a Latin Paso Doble with Karina Smirnoff, Emma Slater and Anna Trebunskaya. Throughout the night, nine Mirrorball winners will take the stage, including a dance showdown between season 18 winners Meryl Davis and Maksim Chmerkovskiy and reigning champions Alfonso Ribeiro and Witney Carson. Additional performers include Katherine Jenkins, Chelsea Kane, Kristi Yamaguchi, Amy Purdy, Maria Menounos, Melissa Rycroft, Kelly Monaco and more. Then finally, the night will come to a close with Grammy® award winning artist Patti LaBelle performing her iconic hit “Lady Marmalade” with Lil’ Kim and Amber Riley. There will be surprises around every corner as celebrities come together to celebrate this momentous occasion.

“This is an outstanding milestone and a testament to the creativity and dedication of all the people who have been involved in the show over the last 10 years,” said “Dancing with the Stars” Executive Producer, Rob Wade.

• Love 3

The footballer Paso Doble should be fun. It reminds me of the cheesy Athlete vs. Athlete battles we used to get during the finale results shows. I miss Anna so much, can't wait to

I'm always here for Patti Labelle and Amber Riley singing. I wonder if Mya was asked back for the Lady Marmalade performance.

On the flip side, Alfonso, Witney, Maks and Meryl seems like an...interesting group for a dance-off. They have such different styles.

I'm not even a huge figure skating fan but It would be pretty neat to see Kristi Yamaguchi and Meryl Davis dancing together.

Katherine Jenkins announced on her Twitter (I think it's @RealKathJenkins) April 13th she was pregnant with her 1st child. I don't know if she's far enough along to be showing yet (though she was far enough to know it's going to be a girl, according to her Tweeted pregnancy announcement which I got on my Twitter as a Re-Tweet from an account I follow who follows her or also got the RT--either Tom Bergeron's or Cheryl Burke's account, as those are the only 2 DWTS-related Twitters I follow).

I guess what I'm getting at is, none of the females on the show have been visibly (or not, I don't think) pregnant while doing the show. If Katherine's showing now, I hope they gave her an "easy" dance, relatively speaking.

She also Tweeted a pic of herself with Maria Menounos (who I think was on the same season as Katherine, as I remember), which was taken in the last 2-3 days, it looks like at the rehearsal hall they use for the show 'cause I can see the dark blue paint on the wall behind them, if not the DWTS-related names they have painted on the wall in white; unfortunately, they're both in black rehearsal-type clothes, as they're presumably rehearsing for the anniversary special, so you can't tell how far along Katherine is or isn't right now.

I'm not sure what happened with Cheryl. I saw her mom was there. Maybe her NBC contract forbid her from participating? Though I don't see why she still couldn't attend in some way.

No Cheryl would be a total travesty! She is part of the top 2 favorite dances voted by the fans -- Save a Horse with Drew and her Argentine Tango with Giles ( still IMO the very best AT ever!). The way those two stunk in the All Star season without her proved what a great partner she is. And her season with Jack Osbourne was so amazing.

I'm glad we are going to see previous stars and pros.  But I wish Tristan was one of them.  It should be a great show.

Tristan sent this message to his fan site:

I won't be on DWTS again so that will save any disappointment whenever some story gets bandied around...there is no desire or intent to be on DWTS in the future, and I wish all the cast well – past, current and future.

In a separate interview on that site, he said:

being back in LA for a little bit has been good for us. I realized what it was that was standing in the way of me liking it.

I can't help but wonder if the two are related.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 1

Well, I'm sad that my last glimmer of hope Tristan might reappear in some form on DWTS is shattered but I'm grateful that he's so happy on Strictly and I hope they keep him on for a few years there (and give him a contender for the love of God!!!). Strictly is a better fit for him (and suits my tastes better, just wish I could watch the show live instead of waiting for the YouTube videos).

• Love 1

Buggin, Tristan is already confirmed for the fall season of Strictly...as is Gleb!

Topic? I can't stand the show itself, but might catch the special. I assume the judges won't be commenting on anything, and it's not a competition (not even a fake, manipulated one like the show itself) so it should be bearable and might even be enjoyable.

• Love 2

I assume the judges won't be commenting on anything, and it's not a competition (not even a fake, manipulated one like the show itself) so it should be bearable and might even be enjoyable.

They might comment on the duel between Alfonso/Witney and Maks/Meryl. They even pimped about the duel in the promo for the special.

A celebration of the show and its 20 seasons of dance competition features new performances and fan-favorite moments from the past. Included: Former contestants and returning pros take the floor. Also: an opening number with more than 45 stars.

I'm sad that my beloved Tristan won't be on the anniversary show and is so emphatically done with dwts. I don't follow his fan site so I am curious about what happened to make the show and such a seemingly popular pro sever ties so completely. Was he just tired of getting all the old and/or infirm partners? Or is it true that Derek was partnered with Amy Purdy at the last minute after she was promised to Tristan? Whatever the reason, I can't muster any interest in the show now.

This is just my opinion of course, but I've never understood the injustice over Tristan. He's a good dance and a sweet guy, but I don't know what makes him more special than the other pros or what makes him more deserving of a good partner.

• Love 7

This is just my opinion of course, but I've never understood the injustice over Tristan. He's a good dance and a sweet guy, but I don't know what makes him more special than the other pros or what makes him more deserving of a good partner.

I don't think it's a matter of "more deserving of a good partner"; it's a matter of "at least give the guy a shot." "Special" is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has their favorites. Some of us saw something "special" in Tristan.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 5

Completely agree. I never got the hype over him.  

i always felt if the show thought he really had that much of a good size fanbase they would have started giving him better partners (like how Val caught on fast his first couple of season). 

All the clips I've seen so far look great.  The NFL dance and the Maks/Meryl & Alfonso/Witney duel I'm really looking forward to.

I think there used to be a better balance between ballroom and all the other stuff. Now it's all big productions and backup dancers and stuff and it all blends. Nothing sticks out as being "wow!" anymore because it's all so in your face.

Speaking of faces (sorry, bad segue!) ... what did Lil' Kim do to hers?

Bring back Amber Riley and Patti LaBelle to sing all the things, please.

When was this filmed?(I can't remember when Derek hurt himself.) Some time between last Monday and yesterday, obviously. I only ask because Charlie White got married last weekend in MI, so I guess that makes sense that he wasn't there, but would Meryl really miss his wedding for this?

Was that Jonathan I saw? (Roberts, the pro, not Bennett, the Mean Girls actor.) We haven't seen him in so long.

I know Derek hurt himself, but it was weird that he wasn't there at all.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 1

It was filmed last Tuesday and Meryl was a member of the wedding party.

Which explains the reason why we didn't see Patti and Artem do their NY goodbye tour last week.

Edited by jennifer6973

When was this filmed?(I can't remember when Derek hurt himself.) Some time between last Monday and yesterday, obviously. I only ask because Charlie White got married last weekend in MI, so I guess that makes sense that he wasn't there, but would Meryl really miss his wedding for this?

She didn't miss the wedding, she was a bridesmaid.   I saw her Thursday for the rehearsal.  Charlie got married where I work.

• Love 2

Well, that was underwhelming.

Lil' Kim's face :( :( :( :(

I miss Anna T so much.

I miss DanceCenter.

I miss seeing the DNCMSTR license plate when Len would coach one of the final couples.

I do not miss Maks and his petty drama. But speaking of that, I wish they had shown Derek's "demented lines" tirade from Season 6, because that was awesome.

• Love 2

I came on here to ask the same thing! She looks like a swollen LaToya Jackson. Such a shame, she used to be an attractive woman.

• Love 3

Loved seeing Kristi again! Harking back to the old days where she actually learned a variety of dances and was such a versatile dancer. She's the reason I started watching the show in the first place and still one of my favorite winners.

Seeing all the top performers makes me wish for another all-star season...with Alfonso, Kristi, Meryl, Nastia, etc.

I missed seeing Gilles, but that might be because Cheryl wasn't there? Would've liked to see Shawn too, but she recently had knee surgery and apparently had been asked to dance.

I don't feel one way or another about Derek, but it was a bit sad to see so many of his former partners dancing with Sasha.

That wasn't what I expected.

Val's body - wow. I was very confused by Lil Kim's face, too. Seeing Meryl and Alfonso dance shows just how little spark this season has. Even Kelly had more presence in her dance. It's too bad Derek wasn't there. Like him or not, he's a big part of the show.

I was great to see the footballers.  Meryl and Max and Whitney and Alfonso still share a dance spark.  They were great.

Miss Patti still has it.   Apollo is handsome.  I was nervous for Katherine dancing pregnant in those shoes.

So nice to see Jonathan, Louis, and Ashley.  And even Samantha.

• Love 1

Not only her face - what about her bootie?  I went back and watched the Lady Marmalade video from Moulin Rouge, with Christina Aguilera, Pink, Mya, and Lil' Kim.  It's a shame that Lil' Kim has mutilated herself to this extent, she was a gorgeous woman.

My favorite moments:  seeing Anna, Karina, and Louis, plus Patti's performance.

• Love 1

Kristi impressed me too. She was just having the time of the life. Every time she appears on the show it's like she just finished her season. One of the biggest missed opportunities of DWTS history is that she was on a season with zero competition. She should have been asked back for All Stars.

Yeah I think Alfonso, Meryl and Kristi amongst others showed the benefit of having at least one ringer with a ton of charisma on each season. Nastia just isn't cutting it.

It was nice to see Meryl do a bit of Paso - her season the dance assignments were so wonky I think only Charlie did a Paso Doble.

I didn't miss Derek, and am actually glad he wasn't around to film so everything wasn't about him again. Sasha subbing in for him is making a great case for himself to be promoted to pro next season.

Mark and Derek's showcase of some of their partners made me realize how many contenders they've had - though Mark has had a share of duds as well. There was a time when newbie pros would get strong partners right out of the gate (Julianne, Cheryl, Derek and Mark...) or during their second season (Peta, Witney, Mark again). TPTB seem unwilling to do this lately, at least with the male pros.

I was not expecting Val and Kelly to revive that "Flamenco." I feel like I've become immune to Val's shirt allergy but "Wow" is right. Was he wearing leather boots?

Edited by tearbender
  • Love 2

I don't feel one way or another about Derek, but it was a bit sad to see so many of his former partners dancing with Sasha.

I think Sasha was channeling Derek.  When that number opened, he was dancing just like Derek, and with the cap on I couldn't tell it was Sasha.  Guess I forgot about the injury.

I found that rather enjoyable.  Loved seeing Louis and Anna and Karina and Chelsie.  Where were Lacey and Dmitri and whatever happened to Fabian Sanchez?  I wish somebody would write a tell-all about the pros who have disappeared.

That was way too short - ABC obviously didn't want to spend serious money.

Helio Castroneves,  Pah.  I don't believe Len picked that. Also, was CAI ever oozing a lack of self confidence - what is that about?

There were a lot of notable absences.

though Mark has had a share of dudes as well.

Ha ha - great typo.  

I also thought that if they hadn't told me Derek wasn't there I wouldn't have known - Sasha was dancing like him and dressed like him.  Very weird.

I thought Alfonso and Witney won that competition.

I had fun spotting all the former contestants in the crowd. Me and my mom's favorite shall always be Apolo though (both seasons he was in). I still get frustrated when I think about how CAI said they didn't have chemistry.

Anyways, I enjoyed the Derek-free night. It was a nice break. He's a great dancer, but there's just too much of him.

Loved seeing Meryl dance again. I liked her over Alfonso, but then again, they did different dance styles (rigt?) so it's hard to compare.

This wasn't exactly what I was expecting either. I was expecting to see more of the old contestants do one of their old routines, like have in the past. Didn't really need to see Kelly and Val dance again in their swimwear.

My heart is still breaking from Willow's elimination though.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Marlee Matlin, clapping in the audience, had more rhythm than several contestants this season.

Patti, Lil Kim and Amber was amazing! I love that Patti just has it. She owns every stage she stands on. And props to Amber and Kim for being strong, not fading into the background but also letting Patti shine. There are several troupe members (Jenna and Henry, I see you in the background pulling faces like no tomorrow) who could stand to learn that lesson.

The football boys did a fun number and I loved seeing Anna dance again. Karina too, but its been so long for Anna and she is amazing! 

Meryl and Maks and Witney and Alfonso showed what really makes a memorable partnership - you can feel how much each person loves dancing with the other. And not to put down any other partnership either pro has had, but both of them found a true dance match and the spark from that cannot be contained. I'd never pick a winner and thank god these two didn't compete against each other because their personalities are so different. Meryl and Maks have that passion, that clean staccato movement and just a hint of darkness. Alfonso and Witney are fun, bounce, razzle dazzle and a strong sense of musicality. I love that we got to see two amazing pairs again.

I'm bathed in happy nostalgia. I was even happy to see Corky again, so you know the show did something right.

• Love 8

When Maks started leading Meryl across the floor...swoon...miss that partnership so much.  For me there's been a spark missing ever since that season ended.  (Although, Tom's line about getting hit in the sack and needing a snack was pure gold, lol)

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
  • Love 10

Where were the Latino guys / Helio, William Levy and Christian de la Fuente?  Also why have Carlotta and Nick never returned? ( Carlotta danced with John Hurley and Nick danced with Tatum O'Neal). All the winners except Alphonso and Meryl seemed unrehearsed - Melisa Rycroft even worse so. I like samba and I hate to see it massacred like that, from her of all people.

I was surprised by how many of the past celebrities they were able to bring back. That footballer Paso reminded me of the one to the exact same music that Jason Taylor and Edytha did, which made me start wondering were Edytha was. She's like an alumni along with Cheryl and Louis, who were all there at the beginning.

And most importantly, WHERE WAS DANCE CENTRE??? I really thought it would be featured with all that 10yr old material to work with. I didn't even notice Derek was not there although this fixation about his whereabouts is a bit much. There were MANY PROS featured that more than made up for those that were not.

The highlight for me was Maks and Meryl's Tango though I did not enjoy her in her season.

I think there used to be a better balance between ballroom and all the other stuff. Now it's all big productions and backup dancers and stuff and it all blends. Nothing sticks out as being "wow!" anymore because it's all so in your face.

Bring back Amber Riley and Patti LaBelle to sing all the things, please.

Yes, I wish they'd record together! I loved that.

I could have done without Val and Kelly's strip down.

Edited by soapfaninnc

After following much of the news about the taping on social media, I realized how little interest I had in watching this special. About the only thing I was mildly interested in was the Patti and Amber number because I flove Amber and the football players' dance because I adored most of them during their seasons. However I figured I could catch those on YouTube or something. Everything else, whatever.

The way some feel about Derek is how I feel about Meryl and Maks. I was over their "greatest partnership that ever was, bestest/greatest love" ever crap before Season 18 ended and had little desire to see them again.

I have less than zero interest in watching Val and Kelly desperately dance around in their underwear because please spare me. Never cared about Melissa and she's probably one of my least favorites champions so whatever. Zero interest in seeing Alfonso who only won last season so really I've barely had a chance to miss him.

And saying all that, I was very surprised by the one hour given for this when the weekly show alone is two hours and the finale usually three hours. That was enough to tell me that ABC really didn't invest that much in this and it wouldn't be the true retrospective I thought it would be, and the show kind of deserves for being on so long and so successfully. Especially when no one really knew how things would work out when it debuted that summer in 2005. And as a person who has watched since that first season, I wanted more than some thrown together stuff with a bunch of people I just saw compete.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

I still like Kelly Monaco. I still remember her first dance & she looked terrified. Now, on the 10th Anniversary she looks even hotter. She's all sorts of awesome with a hot body!

• Love 7

I still like Kelly Monaco. I still remember her first dance & she looked terrified. Now, on the 10th Anniversary she looks even hotter. She's all sorts of awesome with a hot body!

Kelly's body is insane, loved Tom's crack about letting herself go.

• Love 2
Where were Lacey and Dmitri and whatever happened to Fabian Sanchez?

I saw him at a competition a couple of years ago, and at that time he owned a studio in Birmingham, Alabama.

All the winners except Alphonso and Meryl seemed unrehearsed - Melisa Rycroft even worse so. I like samba and I hate to see it massacred like that, from her of all people.

Agree on all counts. Alfonso and Meryl were awesome. I never cared for Melissa's Latin dancing. I wish they would have given her a smooth/standard dance instead.

Did Erin say Lil' Kim came in second in her season? Whoops, someone forgot to fact check.

I enjoyed the show but agree that it could easily have been two hours.

• Love 1

Enjoyed the show, but wish it had been longer.  It seemed rushed.  I would have liked to see more of the former contestants.  The football player number was good, but where was Warren Sapp?  Didn't he come in 2nd in his season?  I suppose it's because he's been in some trouble with the law.

• Love 1

I wish this had been a two hour special! We sat through so much filler during past season's results shows and it would have actually been welcome tonight.  I needed more cheese and really would have loved a return of the Harold Wheeler Orchestra.  I wanted to see more of the pros and have more pro numbers. I would have loved if they had done more group dances like the football players. They could have done an 80s sitcom/movie stars number or a dance by the older competitors. Also, a dance by the olympians. 

I'm becoming a Sasha fangirl - first with his crab outfit and troupe numbers then stepping in for Derek while he's injured. He's so game for everything and gets attention just by being himself. 

I loved Tristan - he treated his partners well and could be sassy and firm when necessary. His accent was also a major plus.  Tristan humanized Nancy Grace and I thought she was likable during her season. I can't stand to watch the Nancy Grace show, but I loved the dance he choreographed for her to Moon River. I also appreciated his partnership with Gladys Knight.  I was disappointed when they kept giving him partners who didn't really have a chance to win their seasons. He was becoming the new Jonathan and I think it was unfair to him as a pro. He didn't need to have a Shawn Johnson or Nicole Scherzinger, maybe a Candace Cameron or Jenny Garth level star that he could develop into a competitor.

Warren Sapp was missing from the football player dance as well as Chad Johnson (Chad Ochocinco). I wonder if they were invited and declined or were intentionally left out.

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 5

Liked Kelly dancing since she was the original winner from the first season. Also major props to her, 10 years later and she still looks amazing.

No Drew? 

Loved the episode, thought it was a good celebration and way to honor the show. 

Edited by Artsda