Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E08: 10th Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

Overall an entertaining show, but I felt too much was crammed into one hour. Nothing could really be fully touched on because they didn't have enough time. Kind of a bummer for me, since there are a lot of seasons from the beginning that I've never seen, so it would have been fun to see more of the entire show from over the years. It felt like a rush job.

• Love 5
I feel like I've become immune to Val's shirt allergy but "Wow" is right. Was he wearing leather boots?

He was wearing sock suspenders. I thought that dance was awkward enough on Season 16 and I really could have done without seeing it again.

Was that Jonathan I saw? (Roberts, the pro, not Bennett, the Mean Girls actor.) We haven't seen him in so long.

I saw both Jonathans - Bennett in the audience and Roberts at the end when everyone was on the dance floor.

Warren Sapp was missing from the football player dance as well as Chad Johnson (Chad Ochocinco). I wonder if they were invited and declined or were intentionally left out.

I think they were intentionally left out. I'm pretty sure ABC doesn't want their family show associated with wife beaters.

I liked the show, even though it felt choppy and under-rehearsed. It was great to see some of the old pros and some of my favorite contestants (looking at you, Jerry Rice). Also, and I'm probably alone in this, but I really liked Samantha Harris as a host (much more than Brooke and Erin, anyway), and was happy to see her still hanging in there after her cancer battle. 

• Love 2

When Maks looked into the camera and then opened his shirt, my ovaries had a moment.

Great dancing from Meryl, Alphonso and Kelly. The Mark- Sasha/Derek thing was sort of messy. The ballers had Anna and Karina, so that was awesome.

Missed Mya, Brandy, Adam Carolla with his unicycle, Cheryl, Mel B and Zendaya.

Did not miss the Osmonds.

Not glad he is hurt but so glad Derek was not there. It would have been less enjoyable with him there IMO.

Miss Pattie was 500 kinds of awesome. Love her so much.

Kristi showed way more personality in her short time on screen tonight than she did during her whole season. She was kinda sexy.

CAI and Julieanne can take the same bus out of town.

Next time should come sooner and last longer.

Edited by gohawks
  • Love 2

Too short. They should have shown at least clips of the top 10 dances chosen by the public or something. More dramatic/funny moments in rehearsals. Behind the scenes stuff. Dance Center highlights. Some of Tom's great improvised one liners. It would have been nice to get to hear the pros talk about themselves a bit. And for the love of God, where were the bloopers!  

• Love 10

Wow JR Martinez sounds pissed.  He tweeted that he was getting a lot of questions about the show and said he was only asked to sit in the audience that everyone was asked to participate and thats all he was asked to do..he said he was taking it personally that he wasnt asked to dance. Maybe its just my gut reaction being turned off by his bitterness but does anyone else buy that he was the ONLY one not asked to dance? 

Maybe its just my gut reaction being turned off by his bitterness but does anyone else buy that he was the ONLY one not asked to dance?

No, it looked like there were quite a few former stars sitting in the audience, not participating in any major dancing. Florence Henderson, Ralph Macchio, Jonathan Bennett, Samantha Harris, Gladys Knight, Candace Cameron, Apolo Ohno... just to name a few that were dressed in civilian clothes and cheering from the sidelines instead of in dancewear.

Wow JR Martinez sounds pissed.  He tweeted that he was getting a lot of questions about the show and said he was only asked to sit in the audience that everyone was asked to participate and thats all he was asked to do..he said he was taking it personally that he wasnt asked to dance. Maybe its just my gut reaction being turned off by his bitterness but does anyone else buy that he was the ONLY one not asked to dance? 

I didn't pay close enough attention - was he the only champion who was in the audience and not dancing? I'm pretty sure Apollo was also in the audience but didn't dance. And of course there were many non-champions in the audience who didn't dance.

And since he's calling it "personal", I now wonder if something happened behind the scenes during/after his season. It wouldn't make sense for him to say that if he thought he was on good terms with the producers.

I didn't pay close enough attention - was he the only champion who was in the audience and not dancing? I'm pretty sure Apollo was also in the audience but didn't dance. And of course there were many non-champions in the audience who didn't dance.

And since he's calling it "personal", I now wonder if something happened behind the scenes during/after his season. It wouldn't make sense for him to say that if he thought he was on good terms with the producers.

JR has been at the show some this season and has been actively supporting Noah.  It would have been nice for there to have been a dance with all former champions who were able to participate, instead of giving Kelly Monaco and the oh so annoying Melissa Rycroft their own solo dances.   I really did not need to see the awful flamenco in their bathing suits again, and really do not need to ever see Melissa and her gaping mouth again.

I think they were intentionally left out. I'm pretty sure ABC doesn't want their family show associated with wife beaters.

But they had Michael Irvin on there with his checkered past??

• Love 2

It was a fun hour of fluff but I wanted more. I'm no tv producer but I feel like me and a solid group of fans of dwts could have put together something with a little more punch to it.  

The show felt like exactly what it was...thrown together on a Tues. after Monday's live show.  Some of the routines looked simple and under-rehearsed (but still fun and cute). 

The ending being hyped as the biggest dance evaaa with so many stars....turned out to be a group electric slide. I still smiled because I love the show but there is only so much you can squeeze into a 1 hour show.

I did notice the camera kept cutting away to the same group of celebs in the audience. Probably should have tried to get other celebs as well since so many were in the audience and not dancing. 

• Love 2

I would have loved if they had done more group dances like the football players. They could have done an 80s sitcom/movie stars number or a dance by the older competitors. Also, a dance by the olympians.

A dance with all of those voted off first in their seasons could have been hilarious--and painful to watch. 

• Love 6

Warren Sapp was missing from the football player dance as well as Chad Johnson (Chad Ochocinco). I wonder if they were invited and declined or were intentionally left out.

Also Jason Taylor and Lawrence Taylor, right?  So I'm guessing they invited them all and those were the ones who showed up.   Surely there have been more?  It seems like they have one every season.  

Though I wonder if there are degrees of interest, too.  I mean, there's inviting and there's actively courting and incentivizing someone to come.  

JR has been at the show some this season and has been actively supporting Noah.  It would have been nice for there to have been a dance with all former champions who were able to participate, instead of giving Kelly Monaco and the oh so annoying Melissa Rycroft their own solo dances.   I really did not need to see the awful flamenco in their bathing suits again, and really do not need to ever see Melissa and her gaping mouth again.

I think that Melissa's solo dance was in part a plug for the summer tour.  I'm not sure why Kelly got one.  I'm guessing she offered to do it free to show off her abs (and everything else)?  

I think that Melissa's solo dance was in part a plug for the summer tour.  I'm not sure why Kelly got one.  I'm guessing she offered to do it free to show off her abs (and everything else)?  

Oh I know why they shoved Melissa on us.  It is always about promoting something in-house for them.  It does not make her any less annoying.  She could not win her own season, so they handed her the All Star season, even though Shawn Johnson was better.  With ABC is it always about in network promotion.  Wasn't Melissa working with GMA at the time she "won" All Stars?

• Love 1

Kelly was great, as the season 1 champ and the season 15 finalist she deserved it.  Shawn Johnson was also asked to dance but could not due to injury. So it seems to me the show runners wanted the finalists of the all-star season represented.    

• Love 1

10 years in an hour - whose dumb idea was that?

I think I might have seen a very quick clip of Master P, but I notice I did not see my two favorite Worst Moments Ever - Michael Bolton and the doghouse and Tucker Carlson and his chair. Ah, memories.

• Love 3

JR has a right to be miffed. Season 13 was the only show in all the celebration shows, not to get a mention or even a pat on the back.  The previous 100th Episode show and the 200th show celebrated the best of shows up to season 11. Apolo and Julianne for example, got a solo on the 100th anniversary show.  Last evening we got representation from all the post season 11 shows except season 13. That has to be a kick in the teeth to sit there like a potted plant while every other season gets something. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

I think they figure that they covered off JR in the package about inspirational dancers.

Also I thought that Val and Kellie stripping down was supposed to be a hilarious reference to a very controversial moment and it kinda was.  I mean sock garters? Who is he, Fred Garvin, male prostitute?

• Love 5

It seems like JR. got a lot of attention and praise during the "celebs who inspired us" segment, including showing bits of his dancing with Karina. Since they were trying to cram 10 years into one hour (Yep, whose idea?) I don't think he was actually slighted. So many champions were barely mentioned except in the brief review of all 20 champs.

Apolo is such a great sport. I didn't like how he was treated during All-Stars and he took a heck of a beating in S4 but was fun, cooperative, a hard worker and great dancer. He wasn't complaining and probably had a right to.

I'm sure scheduling is a problem for celebs who are still working, but I missed Jennifer Grey. Would loved to have seen her dance again.

It was fun to see the faces but wasn't close to what it was advertised to be. Maks C's interview video was hilarious. I'm always amazed by people who are unabashedly arrogant and feel comfortable being so. There's no question his "sex on a stick" comment was a dead serious one.

Nah, it is a lot of horse manure to put JR in the inspiring category, and then not allow him to dance. Karina was there. Of all the inspirational stories, he gets to watch while also ran Amy Purdy gets a go on the dance floor. Jesus, why have a Derek dance when he is not even there. 

And speaking of inspiring why was Valerie Harper left off the list. 

Apolo got plenty of tongue baths during the 100th anniversary show, one of his dances on the top 10 of the first 5 seasons, a solo on the 100th anniversary show, and Team Captain of Team Busta Move in Season 11. The 200th Anniversary show.

JR just throw him in with the inspiring dancers. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 2

The closing was a DWTS Zumba class!!

Ha. I was watching it and wondering how many minutes it took to choreograph those three moves.

I don't think he's crazy, so I'm going to assume he just misunderstood and thought it was going to be a five-hour show or something. There's no way every single contestant was asked to dance, beyond the closing number where everyone who was there got on stage.

Nothing illustrates the hazards of plastic surgery more than 40-year-old Lil' Kim looking like something out of a Twilight Zone episode standing next to 70-year-old Patti Labelle who doesn't appear to have had any surgery and yet still looks beautiful.

I loved the NFL Paso, even though it was a hot mess. It reminded me how much I loved Hines Ward during his season and, to this day, his samba is still my favorite dance of the entire series. It's not perfect, but who's having more fun than Kym and Hines?

No Dance Center was a crime.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2

I don't think he's crazy, so I'm going to assume he just misunderstood and thought it was going to be a five-hour show or something. There's no way every single contestant was asked to dance, beyond the closing dance where everyone who was there got on stage.

My point is other champions who wanted to dance on this show were given the opportunity to do so, except JR. When Shawn Johnson tweets she was asked but could not, and JR gets the sit in the audience tweet, you know they are being selective. So Karina is not on the show anymore, neither is Maks, but somehow they managed to choreograph a piece.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Love 1

Out of curiosity, was Zendaya there? I've gotten the vibe, because they haven't announced that she's doing Sway, that her and Val aren't as close as they once were. I think Zendaya was more of a popular partner for Val than Kelly M. was. IMHO.

Out of curiosity, was Zendaya there? I've gotten the vibe, because they haven't announced that she's doing Sway, that her and Val aren't as close as they once were. I think Zendaya was more of a popular partner for Val than Kelly M. was. IMHO.

From what I've read she was invited but couldn't come because she was in NYC. I think she was mainly doing promotion for her hosting gig with the Radio Disney Music Awards.  If she can't do Sway it will probably be due to her schedule and not a reflection on her friendship with Val, I think.  Haven't heard of any kind of falling out. They both tweet support for each other regularly also.

I think Kelly being asked to perform was also about her being the season 1 champ & season 15 finalist as well as being Val's partner. Zendaya probably would have performed if she was available is my guess. 

Well damn. That was way too short. As mentioned, I'd have floved a blooper reel. We got the injury reel. I also missed Dance Center.

Hey, do you guys know the name of the song/s that was the second group/s number? Or maybe it was a medley? TIA. It was right after Kelly and Val in their undies. It was the one that started with the group in which Kristi came out in the black spandex pants and sequin top and then others joined in. Lyrics that I could catch: "Michelle Pheiffer that white gold"  "Don't believe me just watch" Then the group in red came out and it sounded maybe sorta like a different song but it went right into it like a medley? or IDK what. I loved it! OMG! [/old] It sounded like lyrics of "Uptown... eff... you up" but IDK . TIA!

All the winners should have been asked/invited to dance at least in a group. Some were missing. Maybe they were asked and declined?

I count 9 winners who didn't dance and 10 who did, so JR's not alone.  7 weren't even there, I think?  I think only 3 who did dance, danced solo.  No, wait, 4.  The two recent and popular winners, Alfonso and Meryl, and the two ABC employees, Kelly and Melissa.  

Edited by Guest

The song is Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson featuring Bruno Mars.

I loved Maks/Meryl and Alphonso/Witney. They are my two favorite winners and it was fun to see them again.

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know the song for Witney and Alfonso (dancing in the blue?) Is there a place I can go to find these song titles? Sorry I'm a pain. TIA

I misread this: "No Dance Center was a crime." as "No, Dance Center was a crime." I have NEVER been a fan of that.

I laughed for a long time at the snack reference. Lol!

Melissa Rycroft was a champ? ......okay.

I finally heard the proper lyric as "CREOLE Lady Marmalade". I had not heard that right for over 40 years! Patti LaBelle is fantastic!

I guess the NFL guys did not have much time to learn a more complex routine?

What a hot, rushed, self congratulatory mess that was. You can do better, ABC.

• Love 2

Thank you so much! Do you happen to know the song for Witney and Alfonso (dancing in the blue?) Is there a place I can go to find these song titles? Sorry I'm a pain. TIA

I would just google "alfonso and witney 10th anniversary dance" and look around in the results.

Alfonso Ribeiro & Witney Carson dance to "Fun" by Pitbull f. Chris Brown

from a youtube result of the dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9n4jh5QeQ

Melissa Rycroft was a champ? ......okay.

Yeah...should have watched the season to see just how much she didn't deserve it in my opinion. She's not the worse champion in terms of technique, that's still Helio in my opinion. But considering some of the people she was up against in All Stars, no way did she deserve to win. Even me, as a person who never does the Grassy Knoll stuff, I side-eyed a lot of the judging and scoring for Melissa during that season because it just made no sense to me.

Not surprised she stank with the Samba because that was one of my biggest issues with her - I never thought she was particularly great in the Latin dances. Her hip action was always poor to nonexistent but that sure didn't stop the judges from tongue bathing and overscoring her. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I wish JR and Karina danced together. I don't know what went down, but he is one of my most memorable winners.  I don't like the idea of using his story as inspirational and then not letting him dance. It would have been beautiful if they had done the inspirational segment and then transitioned into Karina and JR dancing the waltz.  

It seemed like they only featured a few of the pros - Derick and Mark, the Chmerkovskiys, and Tony.  I think that Whitney got the dance because of Alfonso and also because he was the most recent champion. I would have liked to see Anna dance with a partner as well as Louis.

I think that who they chose to dance with past partners was based on their road show and internal politics - I don't necessarily fault them for this but wish that it was two hours so that pros who did contribute a lot to the show were featured as well. 

Edited by Lilytiger
  • Love 3

It seemed like they only featured a few of the pros - Derick and Mark, the Chmerkovskiys, and Tony.

I decided not to watch the show but this takeaway is pretty much as expected...which is why I decided not to watch. It's not surprising that a bunch of male pros that many would have liked to see more of -- Tristan, Gleb, Dmitri, Henry...I'm sure I'm missing a few -- get short tryouts and/or partners with little to no promise. For whatever reason the show is very invested in the Hough/Ballas and Chmerkovskiy "family" camps.

• Love 2

Not surprised she stank with the Samba because that was one of my biggest issues with her - I never thought she was particularly great in the Latin dances. Her hip action was always poor to nonexistent but that sure didn't stop the judges from tongue bathing and overscoring her. 

Yes, I also hated when Melissa did Latin dances that required hip action.  Her legs always looked funny too because her knees were always turned out too much.  It's probably from her ballet training.  That's why I preferred her in the Standard dances where she excelled in flowy movements.

I also thought an hour was too short for an anniversary show.  It seemed so rushed.  I loved both Meryl/Maks and Alfonso/Witney for different reasons.  Patti can still sing and was amazing!!  Loved her and Amber.  Lil Kim shouldn't have had plastic surgery.  She looked terrible.  I'm sure that JR seemed slighted but it's because of the one hour format and lack of preparation time.  A lot of champions and other stars were left out.

Edited by realdancemom

Mandy Moore's choreogrhy for DWTS is so darn redundant!!! They should have had Louis do it! And I agree no way would Len pick a dance of Helio's to revisit. I'm guessing Julianne wanted more screen time but it just reminded me how horribly robbed Mel B was that season!! And the choreography ( or lack of) for the closing number was an insult to the dancers but probably a result of the hurried put together of the show.

• Love 1

Witney and Alfonso are overexposed by the show. I understand they are the reigning champs but am so used to seeing them that it's no longer delightful. 

Maks' audition was exactly what you'd expect it to be. It made me laugh esp. since I don't find him attractive. He's got an apelike masculinity and personality which isn't my thing. (His brother, on the other hand....)

I miss Julianne as a pro. 

It was funny how Lil Kim couldn't say the "four bad ass chicks from the Moulin Rouge" line when there's so much T&A on the show.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I know it's hugely unpopular but I actually think it was glaringly lacking that Derek was completely gone from the show, even though yes it was due to injury. Because much as the reality physically pains some, he is in actual fact the most successful Pro dancer on the show in terms of wins. So it is a big deal in my opinion, when he is completely not present in a show celebrating the DWTS' run. But not surprising for what was clearly a rushed/half assed put together show. With him getting injured on the Monday night, there was no time to figure out how to incorporate him in the show by Tuesday night.

• Love 3

Mandy Moore's choreogrhy for DWTS is so darn redundant!!! They should have had Louis do it! And I agree no way would Len pick a dance of Helio's to revisit. I'm guessing Julianne wanted more screen time but it just reminded me how horribly robbed Mel B was that season!! And the choreography ( or lack of) for the closing number was an insult to the dancers but probably a result of the hurried put together of the show.

They've always raved about Julianne and Helio's 'Hey Pachuco' dance.  I always liked it, too.  

They've always raved about Julianne and Helio's 'Hey Pachuco' dance.  I always liked it, too.  

If that is the dance where he is in the yellow suit, then I love it as well.  It was a standout dance that season, and for me, actually, for the whole ten years.  I loved that Helio won that season over the arrogant Maks and Mel B.  They acted like they had it all sewn up, so I loved it when they came in second.