Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I didn’t think Judge’s catch was that great.  It looked like a ball that should have been caught, not a miracle in right field.

I wonder how this win felt for Verlander?  I mean, going to the WS, so Yay!  But it doesn’t seem like it would feel the same as it would if he had been with the team all season.  He has only been with these teammates for what, six weeks?  Not like slogging through 162.   Kind of like high school graduation when you have only gone to that school for a semester, versus graduating with kids you have known since you were in elementary school.

Have there been any other teams that have won the LCS in both the AL & NL?

Omg, guys. The second the game ended, my phone started blowing up, I swear everyone I know texted me. Some of them fishing for World Series tickets. But they’re SOL, I’ve already got that shit lined up. 

@Mittengirl, no, nobody else has ever won both NL and AL pennants. Astros are the first. 

• Love 4

I am SO tired of hearing about Altuve and can’t root for Dave Roberts so yep...definitely don’t care. 

I’m so angry with the Yankees for getting my hopes up and then making them spectacularly crash.

• Love 2

Congratulations to the Astros and their orange clad fans. I mean it, no kidding. Absolutely no kidding, I would never kid about something like this. Because I have a generous heart and would never never never begrudge a fandom who took what my heart dearly desired. Because it's not a zero-sum game, where if you win I must lo.... Oh, wait.

Erm.

Hey, you know what else? I remember reading once that a broadcaster's notion of the best kind of playoff series was one that went 7 games where the home team won every game. (On account of crowd enthusiasm, which translates to higher energy, which translates to eyeballs, I guess?) So this ALCS ticked those boxes.

And on the upside, I'll be able this week to claw through the stuff backed up on my dvr. 

• Love 5

This was a really fun ride and I am super proud of the Yankees. They are so exciting and talented, and they had so much fun this year. I've missed the fun in Yankee baseball! They will be back and I hope even hungrier to move on. This season was a pleasant and thrilling surprise and I can't wait to see what else they can do.

And congrats to the Astros! This has to feel SO great for them and their fans! Please BEAT LA!!!

• Love 1

I am so excited for the Astros!  I grew up outside Houston, and we had our rehearsal dinner at the brand new ballpark when the outfield restaurant was Ruggles.  If not for living near Cleveland the last decade and falling in love with my Tribe, the Astros would still be my #1 team.  This should be a great series!

• Love 1

Query: do pitching coaches make good managers? Maybe the Mets pitchers will go back to being awesome . . . but I'm not feeling good.

Is Chase Utley still with the Dodgers? That's enough for me to (halfheartedly) root for the Astros.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I am SO tired of hearing about Altuve and can’t root for Dave Roberts so yep...definitely don’t care. 

I’m so angry with the Yankees for getting my hopes up and then making them spectacularly crash.

My hopes weren't really up too high. I figured that the Astros would be helped by their homefield/fans just like Yanks were. I'm good. Great effort all year and someone has to lose. I don't have to worry about a west coast swing because I don't care.  I suppose if I had to choose it would be Houston as they are AL and I cannot fucking stand the Dodgers. Even when Donnie Baseball was there he couldn't make me like them. 

I take pleasure in having seen the Bosox kicked to the curb early. The drama now becomes "do Girardi, CC and Cashman return?" Pretty sure CC wants back and GM might be willing to give a 1-2 year contract with incentives for a 5th starter. I think Cash will be back. Joey G? Not sure. I think his wife will be the one to tell him yes or know. To me he looks drained & since his wife prob knows him better than anyone, if she thinks he needs a break then I do believe Joe will step aside. I love the guy. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Query: do pitching coaches make good managers? Maybe the Mets pitchers will go back to being awesome . . . but I'm not feeling good.

Is Chase Utley still with the Dodgers? That's enough for me to (halfheartedly) root for the Astros.

Yes Chase is still with the Dodgers.

12 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

This is going to be a good WS.  Rooting for the Stros but won't be mad if the Dodgers win.  As long as the cubs aren't there it'll be great! 

I guess we're not friends anymore. :'(

:P

• Love 1

I heard the press conf with Mickey and boy is he excited about being with the Mets. Seems like a good enough guy.  He will wear #36 which old school fans know was Jerry Koosman.  I like everything he said and I'm not even a Mets fan, just a non committal bystander. I think the pitchers will like him. He said he spoke with David Wright and that makes me smile because Wright will be indispensable with his knowledge of the organization and his all around mensch-ness. 

This team needs an overhaul in the worst way. 

6 hours ago, QueerGirrl said:

Ha!  Not every Chicagoan is a cubs fan.  That myth needs to be busted at every turn.  And I love busting that myth.

The fact that Chicago has 2 ball teams would account for not all of them being Cubs fans. Also I'm sure there are Chicago folk that don't like any of the city's teams. I work with a guy here in NY who is a Broncos fan and has no use for Giants and Jets. I know another guy who loves the Cowboys and his wife loves the Redskins. Go figure.

Read it and weep....http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20171023&content_id=259446502&oid=36318

Edited by prican58

I love #99 so very much.

Dammitall.  I want to not watch the WS but I'm afraid I won’t be able to resist baseball’s siren song.

I think, because I’m SO tired of Altuve, I'm probably going to end up rooting for the Dodgers as much as it will annoy me.  Which means Houston will most likely win, with my track record

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I love #99 so very much.

Dammitall.  I want to not watch the WS but I'm afraid I won’t be able to resist baseball’s siren song.

I think, because I’m SO tired of Altuve, I'm probably going to end up rooting for the Dodgers as much as it will annoy me.  Which means Houston will most likely win, with my track record

Look at it this way. You won't have to start withdrawal for another week. 

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I guess you're as tired of Altuve as Astros fans are of Judge, mojoween.

Which one do you think wins MVP?  Which one do you think should win?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Mets Fan: Okay, so we got a new manager. Never heard of the guy, but he's got about four months to figure out the formula for making the Mets contenders again. I feel good about today,

News: Ray Knight got charged with assault and battery!! Here's a picture of him at the 30th anniversary celebration of the '86 team, even though he's identified as "ex-Reds manager."

Mets Fan: Fuck the world.

What was going on with Knight and a male "acquaintance" at 4 AM?

6 hours ago, Mrs. P. said:

I guess you're as tired of Altuve as Astros fans are of Judge, mojoween.

Which one do you think wins MVP?  Which one do you think should win?

I think Altuve wins because as far as I know he didn’t have the slump Judge did.  Plus Judge will most likely win a ton of rookie awards and the voters will think about that.

In my entirely unobjective view I would give all the awards to Judge.

I do feel a little bit badly for the both of them because Judge is tall and Altuve is short and often that’s ALL you hear.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Got bored, hit Wikipedia. This will be the third year in a row where a suffering fan base (definition: waiting over a quarter-century for a title) will wind up happy. Also, is this the furthest a team representing Texas has gotten?

As a SF Giants fan from age 8 on, I'm finding it really easy to root for the Astros this time around. However, replying to a post above, In-n-Out is way preferable to What-a-burger! Mostly hoping my Giants can recover their mojo this winter and get back to winning ways (it will be an even year, so its time or however that trope goes).

2 hours ago, isalicat said:

As a SF Giants fan from age 8 on, I'm finding it really easy to root for the Astros this time around. However, replying to a post above, In-n-Out is way preferable to What-a-burger! Mostly hoping my Giants can recover their mojo this winter and get back to winning ways (it will be an even year, so its time or however that trope goes).

Too bad 2016 didn't follow the scenario.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

It's going to be approaching 100 degrees in Los Angeles at game time tonight.

The irony being that for the games in Houston, it's going to be rather chilly.

• Love 1

I realized part of the reason I’m not so much for Houston is that I am unsettled that they swooped in and got Verlander so late.  I know they didn’t do anything against the rules but still.  If it’s a crime for the Yankees to buy championships...

(I’m fully aware Houston was good before. I am nothing if not irrational.)

• Love 1