Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, UYI said:

There are some people joking that Girardi and Baker are going to trade teams now.

The thing is, Girardi going to the Nats might actually happen. I certainly think the Nats should at LEAST consider talking to him. 

If both of these things happened, the games next year would be a grudge match.

On 10/26/2017 at 6:46 AM, Silver Raven said:

Every Dodger who hit a home run thought he was Kirk Gibson.

And their fans think every pop-up is going to turn into a HR. I’ve been in Spain so I’ve missed the games (though I don’t know if I could stomach actually watching any of the games) - has the dodgers stadium lowered the volume at all on their super obnoxious sound effects and music? I always have to watch Giants/dodgers games with the volume super low. Even our commentators have to speak super loudly over the loud sounds (on the other hand, I want to a Giants/Phillies game in Philly and they could have used a lot more sound effects and music. It was sooo quiet!). Have their fans finally stopped doing the wave and throwing beach balls? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, smittykins said:

Isn’t Cashman’s contract up too?

He re-signed.

I found another reason to be disappointed...if the Yankees have another great year next year and get to 90 wins, Joe would have gotten to 1000 wins as a Yankee manager.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, attica said:

Pfft. It's plenty time to hire Willie Randolph.  He looks good in the pinstripes.

I'm not even a Yankees fan and I like this choice.  He did a great job with the Mets but they treated him like shit.  The guy is a winner.

• Love 2

I predict that Altuve's new approach (always trying for the 450 foot homer) is going to come back to haunt the Astros.   I know a ground ball  to the right side that advances a runner is not glamorous, but  is crucial in winning games. 

I think that Joe Girardi should go and lead the team that Jeter just bought (Miami?).  How was their relationship?  The Walgreenses are a sure-fire way for frustration for anyone choosing to manage them.  The team may be great, but the manglement seems to be a pain in the butt.  And cheap at that.

Any Yankee fan who wants Don Mattingly CLEARLY does not watch enough NL baseball. No, no and nooo. 

I'll be surprised if a veteran like Baker ends up managing these Yankees. I think they are going to want a younger guy, who isn't already set in his own ways/style. The FO wants to have some pull here. I also would be surprised if they choose someone who is totally new to the organization, but that's mostly because I'm surprised they'd take the risk of having someone getting to know a full team and vice versa, while also getting used to managing on the MLB level. But I guess we'll see.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

And their fans think every pop-up is going to turn into a HR. I’ve been in Spain so I’ve missed the games (though I don’t know if I could stomach actually watching any of the games) - has the dodgers stadium lowered the volume at all on their super obnoxious sound effects and music? I always have to watch Giants/dodgers games with the volume super low. Even our commentators have to speak super loudly over the loud sounds (on the other hand, I want to a Giants/Phillies game in Philly and they could have used a lot more sound effects and music. It was sooo quiet!). Have their fans finally stopped doing the wave and throwing beach balls? 

I think you can stream the game on MLB At Bat app for free. Although I'm guessing the time difference will make it problematic. I've noticed the volume of the Dodger Stadium sound system while watching the first two games. It'll be different in Minute Maid. With the roof closed, you can barely hear the sound system at all, the crowd is super loud. 

PS: Fans doing The Wave is not limited to Dodger fans. That shit is at every stadium.

8 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

My experience so far with Dodger Stadium is that with Joe Buck and whoever is  commentating, it creates a pleasant murmur.  MY problem is with the commercials which seem to be 50% louder with discordant and crashing music in every one!  I mute all of them now, it gets me irrationally angry.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I think you can stream the game on MLB At Bat app for free. Although I'm guessing the time difference will make it problematic. I've noticed the volume of the Dodger Stadium sound system while watching the first two games. It'll be different in Minute Maid. With the roof closed, you can barely hear the sound system at all, the crowd is super loud. 

PS: Fans doing The Wave is not limited to Dodger fans. That shit is at every stadium.

Yeah I haven't had time or energy to stream games, plus they've been on at like 2 am over here. No waves at Giants games :) The only time I've seen the wave done at our games, out of all the games I go to every year, was an exhibition game pre-season against the A's (I blame it on the A's fans) and a game against the dodgers. We start booing anyone who dares to even start doing the wave. They must be tourists or out-of-towners or newbs.

• Love 1

Oh no, the horror of baseball fans actually trying to enjoy their time at a game instead of sitting there looking bored or stuffing their faces.

Is that Astros player going to get fine or suspended for being a racist asshole towards Darvish? Unacceptable behavior from him. 

• Love 5

Gurriel has got to GO.  But apparently he won’t during the WS because of the appeal process, according to Buster Olney.

I saw the horrific “eye slant” pantomime, but apparently he said something too?  Good lord, there is no call for that, I don’t care who you are, how old you are, or your nation of origin.

• Love 10

Yu was horrible last night but he appears to be a good guy and I like him. He donated $100,000 to the Hurricane Harvey relief weeks ago after he was traded to LA and adopted several "last chance" dogs when he played for the Rangers. No one deserves the kind of prejudice Gurriel displayed and he can't say anything to make this right. Wish he'd get his punishment now.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 7

Did they show the Yu incident on TV?  I don't remember seeing it and only heard about it on sports talk radio.  You would think that the yapping dogs commenting on Fox would take a moment or two from their Adoration of All Things Dodger to mention it a time or twelve.  

Please, Astros, don't let this be your Bartman incident and distract you from your game, because this will fire up the Dodgers (as well it should).  The Astros manager should sit Gurriel down for tonight's game (after discussing it with him ahead of time) so as to calm things down for both sides and give Gurriel a chance to think about what he did and how he would not want anyone to do the same to him.  You don't want this to drag out until next season waiting for MLB to deal with it.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I didn't watch last night. Who sang the anthem, and who threw out the first pitch? I'm thinking either Nolan Ryan or Bush the Elder.

JJ Watt threw out the first pitch. The anthem was sung by a lady in the Air Force who’s sung it several times throughout the season. No celebrity singers, we don’t have any of those around here. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, twoods said:

Oh no, the horror of baseball fans actually trying to enjoy their time at a game instead of sitting there looking bored or stuffing their faces.

Is that Astros player going to get fine or suspended for being a racist asshole towards Darvish? Unacceptable behavior from him. 

Ha!!  Is your brain my brain?  On both counts.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

JJ Watt threw out the first pitch. The anthem was sung by a lady in the Air Force who’s sung it several times throughout the season. No celebrity singers, we don’t have any of those around here. 

I prefer someone singing who has history with a particular team. She did a great job. The eagle flying in was a special touch too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rcc said:

I prefer someone singing who has history with a particular team. She did a great job. The eagle flying in was a special touch too.

Oh yeah, the eagle. They did that for the opening ALDS game as well. And for the first home Texans game this year. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Gurriel will serve a five game suspension in 2018. 

http://www.khou.com/sports/mlb/world-series/yuli-gurriel-avoids-world-series-suspension/486783050

wow, way to send a message, MLB. I'd rather a two game suspension now. Let the bench chew through his shorts during the WS. 

I think if they tried to suspend him now, the appeal could drag on past the end of the series.  This way, they have an agreement in place and he's suspended without pay.  I think Hinch should sit him down for a game though.  Which won't happen.

Shallow note - I like what Big Papi and Big Hurt are wearing tonight.  I don't know why, but I do.

• Love 1

The company that paid for the sign on the Astro's home bullpen wall should make it like the one in the road bullpen. Right now it looks like it was done by a bored reliever using his thumb and some eyeblack.

Four total hits, two no decisions. That's pretty rough.

• Love 1

Re Guriel's gesture. In the Latin Caribbean "chinito" is not necessarily a derogatory term. In Cuba (and Jamaica, as well) for example there has always been a percentage of folks of Chinese heritage. If in the course of everyday conversation where one is talking about an incident in which a Chinese person was involved he might be referred to as "un/el chinito". It isn't seen as racist (unless of course you are in the midst of a racist rant). I am not saying there has never been racism in these countries. There has indeed and I can tell stories about that, too. 

In PR and DR if you have a close relative or friend who is black, it is normal for you to call them "negra" or "negro". I know that first hand as my mom's uncle was fair skinned and his wife was very dark. My mom even called her that and and she is almost just as dark. They were my godparents and I often heard my grandma (his sister & her best friend) refer to her as negra when she spoke to her. For instance grandma can ask if she wanted coffee, and say "Negra, quieres cafe?" She didn't call her that all the time....she called her by her name more often than not, but negra was just a term of endearment. 

Again, in friendly context these words are not racist. It's all about tone.  My examples are of a different, kinder,gentler time back in the 60s/70s and its prob different now. Not sure if Cuba still has a significant Chinese population

This doesn't mean that Gurriel's gesture isn't wrong. It is. He needs to realize things like that don't generally play here. Unless he has an issue with Asians, I'm sure he meant no harm.  But a suspension may be the only way to send a received message.  Darvish is a pretty classy guy

14 minutes ago, prican58 said:

Re Guriel's gesture. In the Latin Caribbean "chinito" is not necessarily a derogatory term. In Cuba (and Jamaica, as well) for example there has always been a percentage of folks of Chinese heritage

Kevin de Leon, the President Pro Tem of the Calfornia Senate, who has announced his candidacy for Senate vs. Dianne Feinstein, is of Guatemalan/Chinese ancestry.

I used to work with a Chinese woman who was born in Panama.  Spanish was her first language.

It wasn't the name that bothered people as much as the eye gesture. Who the hell does that? All the people that are trying to say that he said "chinito" because that's what Cubans call Asians seem to forget that the eye slant was completely uncalled for. Is that a sign of endearment as well? Shame on the MLB for giving him a slap on the wrist instead of suspending him at least a game of the WS and maybe some more next season. 

I thought the Dodgers were toast this game with their anemic bats, and then they woke up in the 9th. Turner and Seager are still terrible and need to wake up if they plan on winning more games. Berlinger finally did something but he is definitely playing like a rookie in his first WS. They need to win game 5 because Verlander in game 6 does not bode well for them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, prican58 said:

Re Guriel's gesture. In the Latin Caribbean "chinito" is not necessarily a derogatory term. In Cuba (and Jamaica, as well) for example there has always been a percentage of folks of Chinese heritage. If in the course of everyday conversation where one is talking about an incident in which a Chinese person was involved he might be referred to as "un/el chinito". It isn't seen as racist (unless of course you are in the midst of a racist rant). 

Again, in friendly context these words are not racist.

Unless he has an issue with Asians, I'm sure he meant no harm.  

First of all, Yu Darvish is half-Japanese, not Chinese.  Yuli was finding a way to mock Yu Darvish, and he used Yu's race to do so.  He was certainly not intending to be friendly and he was most certainly in the midst of doing and saying racist things.

If Yuli had no issue with Asians, there is no way he would do something like this.

Racism against Asian people should be taken seriously.  It is still racism.

• Love 15
On 10/28/2017 at 5:19 AM, twoods said:

Uh, if was directed at me, then you don’t know Giants fans very well. ?

• Love 1
8 hours ago, prican58 said:

In the Latin Caribbean "chinito" is not necessarily a derogatory term.

Gurriel played in Japan. He has said he's aware that the Japanese are offended by the term. I take your point, but no pass here.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, twoods said:

It wasn't the name that bothered people as much as the eye gesture. Who the hell does that? All the people that are trying to say that he said "chinito" because that's what Cubans call Asians seem to forget that the eye slant was completely uncalled for. Is that a sign of endearment as well? Shame on the MLB for giving him a slap on the wrist instead of suspending him at least a game of the WS and maybe some more next season. 

I thought the Dodgers were toast this game with their anemic bats, and then they woke up in the 9th. Turner and Seager are still terrible and need to wake up if they plan on winning more games. Berlinger finally did something but he is definitely playing like a rookie in his first WS. They need to win game 5 because Verlander in game 6 does not bode well for them.

You are absolutely correct re the gesture. I mentioned it but perhaps I should have been more specific about that. The gesture is just plain stupid. It's something a child would do and this is a man we are talking about. It's stupid, rude and demeaning. He needs to be made to understand that it's wrong. 

Ms Bluejay, yes Yu is Japanese and I know that. I referenced China because that's where the chinito word comes into play. 

No pass is intended on my part towards Gurriel. He should have known better. I'm merely pointing out how peoples cultural habits don't necessarily mean scum of the earth. Racism isn't just KKK, it's ignorance and unawareness of peoples cultures. 

I waited a long time before submitting my original post b/c I didn't want to start a big to do. But I felt compelled to do it. 

That's all. 

• Love 5

My mind went to the Spanish basketball team at Beijing in 2008. Wound up making these posters. Also this, but that requires a really off-topic explanation.

Question for those with no stake in this Series: are you entertained? We're going six games at least. so that's something fun.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

Question for those with no stake in this Series: are you entertained? We're going six games at least. so that's something fun.

I am entertained.  And since I'm fine with whichever team wins, I'm hoping for 7 games.  Especially since my best friend's birthday is on Halloween and I'm taking her out to dinner and I don't want to miss the last game!

• Love 2