Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Greetings from San Diego!  It's so weird to me to see tonight's game start time listed as 5;00PM PT but I should be able to watch the entire thing unlike if I was back home in Florida.  Now to figure out how or when (or if) to fit in dinner.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Greetings from San Diego!  It's so weird to me to see tonight's game start time listed as 5;00PM PT but I should be able to watch the entire thing unlike if I was back home in Florida.  Now to figure out how or when (or if) to fit in dinner.

Hello, waves back in San  Diego!

• Love 1

Sterling's nicknames for Frazier: The ToddFather and In Todd We Trust.  I feel like he's missing the obvious one: Hot Toddy!

Many tweets claimed the Right Field wall had to go for x-rays after Judge ran into it. Snerk. I think it smacked the home run swing back into him. At least briefly.

This game proved my earlier point about the many benefits of pitchers' willingness to have the ball put in play. Even with that much offense, the game length was only 3:15 (excellent considering commercial breaks are longer), and 99 pitches got CC through 6 instead of, you know, 4. And many fewer defensive miscues! Even the Maybin play had more to do with the crazy wind sitch than a mistake.

15 minutes ago, attica said:

Sterling's nicknames for Frazier: The ToddFather and In Todd We Trust.  I feel like he's missing the obvious one: Hot Toddy!

Funny thing about those nicknames? They belonged to Todd Helton long before Todd Frazier.

Frazier's from New Jersey, so really, calling him the Toddfather makes more sense than Todd Helton, regardless of Helton being named Todd first. I'm not sure there's ever been a Yankee as Jersey as dear Todd, who it seems is being groomed to stick around as a Yankee for awhile (we shall see if that actually happens once the offseason rolls around).

Edited by rippleintime17
16 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Seriously?  Cool!  I'm working and staying in La Jolla and it's beautiful.

I used to work in La Jolla and I live further south near Ocean Beach. Have a lovely time!

7 hours ago, attica said:

Okay, but Sterling never announced for the Rockies... :)

LOL

Frazier co opted that when he was with the Reds and it pissed off us Rockies fans then too. http://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2015/07/14/cincinnati-reds-todd-frazier-toddfather/30130767/

But now that he's a Yankee, OF COURSE, they are going to make it seem like it's their idea. Bah. Bitter Helton Fan is bitter.

Todd Helton is the ONE TRUE TODDFATHER. FIGHT ME.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

According to Dan LeBatard, Frazier is only good enough to be Toddfather 3.

Good god I finally get what everyone says about Joe Buck.  I just want him to shut his big stupid face.

HAHAHAHAHAHA That's fantastic.

Sometimes you run into the better team.  That is what has happened to the Cubs here.  When that happens, all you can do is tip your cap and acknowledge it.  And wish the best for the soon to be victors and their fans going forward.  Then regroup for next year.  While I tend to keep my expectations low, I'm not sure even the most wide-eyed optimist is seeing a 4-0 run regroup against these Dodgers here.  

One thing I'll remember from the first couple of games this year, and while the Cubs aren't responsible for scheduling, is that the Dodgers had to stand around for the championship flag/world series trophy display for the fans/ring presentation to the Cubs players.  I'm betting they didn't forget that either. 

We Cubs fans will always have last year (and literally, what can I say, it's a little embarrassing, but Game 7 is still on my DVR) and I'm old enough that even a prolonged losing streak won't become a tragic level streak unless I live an absurd amount of years, which ironically, a stretch of losing could cut into!!!

I guess I'll see you all here tomorrow.  Sigh. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3

I had no idea that Andre Ethier was playing this year- why don't they use him more? He's still very nice to look at. Speaking of which, I'm surprised that Yu's handsome face isn't plastered all over LA. Now time to get out of the shallow pool...

I wonder how Astros fans are feeling after watching this game slip away. It could be 3-2 Yankees heading back to Houston. Who would have thought that?

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

No, no, no. . . no and hell no. So much no. 

(Which means it will probably happen.)

I don't really a have issue with Pittsburgh being in the same division as the phillies. They were before they changed the leagues from 2 to 3 and geographically they are closer to Philly than Miami or Atl. But the mets and Phillies should be in the same division and both BY teams should most definitely not be in the same division. Also with way it seems set up would there be a AL and NL and how would the DH work. This NL girl would not like to see DH in Philly .

Really I just feel that they would be making it more complicated than it needed to be even with add-ons 2 new teams which I'm not even sure is necessary. 

Edited by shoregirl

He tweeted that people kept asking him if he considered using a box to stand on and he said absolutely not.

It occurs to me that I feel badly for Matt Holliday.  First he had the virus and the injuries.  Then, he’s been with the club all year, gave invaluable advice to Judge, and sees the pretty young thing Todd Frazier come in and sweep everyone off their feet.  Since they have Frazier at 3B, that pushes Headley out, and since he’s been more productive, there is no room for Holliday as the DH.  Aww...now that I think about it, Ellsbury got tossed over too.

Edited by mojoween

Can I just say that I am having a very hard time seeing David Ortiz on this panel. He still bothers me. It's hard. I wish he had stayed away for a year. Maybe others feel the same about Alex. We are only human.

Anyway, NYY win and dispatch with Ugly Beard. Gary Sanchez amazes me with the follow through on his HR swings. It's as if he's making a desperate stretch to hit the ball and it goes over the wall. 

I'm hoping that the seeming trend towards pitchers going a full 7 innings is the shape of things to come. I love a great bull pen as much as the next person but dammit, great pitchers should always go 7.

Joey G, people! How you like him now? 

I think Tanaka excels when a game is super important. During the season when he was so erratic he amped it up vs Yu Darvish and pitched great even though I think he lost. He pitched great earlier in this series in a loss  and tonight he was superior. 

May I also say that I love Chase Headley? A trouper, a great team mate and just a grinder. I can see him going to Cashen and saying that he understands that he could be traded next season/off season but that he wants to stay in NY and be a part of the building process. Unlikely, I know but I like him and want to keep him.

Edited by prican58

I am not loving the FS1 panel. I feel like we get 6 minutes of horseplay for every minute of content. Part of the problem is 4 color guys -- too many. Part of the problem is whatshisface the anchor. He's just not...good.

• Love 1
Just now, attica said:

I am not loving the FS1 panel. I feel like we get 6 minutes of horseplay for every minute of content. Part of the problem is 4 color guys -- too many. Part of the problem is whatshisface the anchor. He's just not...good.

At least they weren't the TBS group in which the white anchor said was the cream in the Oreo cookie

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

At least they weren't the TBS group in which the white anchor said was the cream in the Oreo cookie

The Big Piece and J-Roll together again!! I'm so sad I'm at work and can't see them. The Times I've watched Jimmy I thought he did a good job but i always thought this wpuld be something he would be good at.

Now the two of you should retire as Phillies together next season. Then we can immediately put you in the wall of fame!

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

The Big Piece and J-Roll together again!!

Crazy thing is Ryan is actually in the Rockies system now playing for the Isotopes. I think we got him if we needed a bat for the NLDS and beyond. Alas, twas not to be.

I can't believe the foul/not foul drama from last night. Maddon got ejected for yelling about it and then the umps turn around later and say they are wrong? What would they have done if it were anyone but Curtis Granderson (love you Curtis but lets be real) and he hadn't struck out anyway and the Dodgers had gone on to clinch because of the blown call?! If there's a replay review system, it should be universal. Confirm anything you aren't sure about or don't use it at all. 

I am happy for Javy Baez, who hadn't had a hit in the postseason until his two homers last night! And I'm glad the Cubs got another home win. They should win again tonight too, just for fun. Use up those Dodger resources! Make them sweat! Get it back to LA! 

Yankees, meanwhile, should finish this up nice and neat on Friday, please. 

Dear God, it's going to be a wet dream come true for the networks if its a NY/LA World Series.  I wouldn't know who to hate more, and neither will the inside coast of the country (Cubs fan here, and rooting for Astros so at least there will be "good guys" in the series who went through a REAL rebuild).

Nice that the umpires had to be told what to think by Roberts.  Wish the CuBs had that kind of clout!

• Love 3

a wet dream come true for the networks if its a NY/LA World Series

Actually, I've read that the Cubs are the biggest ratings draw, hence why the LA-Cubs games are the late games when both series are going.

18 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

Dear God, it's going to be a wet dream come true for the networks if its a NY/LA World Series.  I wouldn't know who to hate more, and neither will the inside coast of the country

In that scenario, I'll be rooting for a giant fissure to open in the face of the Earth that would swallow up both teams.  Sorry, Met fan here...

• Love 6

Cubs fan here, and rooting for Astros so at least there will be "good guys" in the series who went through a REAL rebuild).

But what trying times were had by those "real" rebuilders whereas the bogus rebuilders didn't scorch the earth but at least were competitive for 3 seasons or so. I'm not one of those fans that thinks the Yanks deserve total post season success but every team should strive to always tweak their teams so that they can be relevant. 

Just sayin'.

• Love 1

FFFFF the Dodgers! Go Stros!!!!!

8 hours ago, Moose135 said:

In that scenario, I'll be rooting for a giant fissure to open in the face of the Earth that would swallow up both teams.  Sorry, Met fan here...

Meteor is my go to rooting interest.

• Love 3

I'm gonna need the baseball media to stop acting like the ALCS is wrapped up already. The Astros may be down but they are not out and it's not good for the karma or anything else that everyone is assuming the Dodgers will be playing the Yankees! I HOPE they will be and I hope we know that they will be TONIGHT but stop being so dismissive of the 100-win team!

Go Yankees Go Yankees

• Love 2

I'm a Cubs fan forever, but my dad is a Dodgers fan, so this is pretty special for me. At the end of the day, the Dodgers were simply better this year. And hey, we got our ring last year. There's no reason it won't happen again soon. :)

• Love 3

Dusty Baker is out as Manager of Nats. I have to say I don't really understand how the Nats lost that series, but my disclaimer is I don't know the team very well. Always heard they were very good, esp with their two star pitchers. So then I watch The Cubs/Dodgers series and the Cubs looked...not great overall. Which makes me question even more how the Nats lost.  I read an article saying the Cubs lost the LA series bc they were spent on the Nats series, is that the case? Still hard to explain the Nats loss. 

(I think it is moot though, as I'm pretty sure LA would have beat them as well).

Edited by cleo