Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I think Joe Buck is the worst. I would almost rather listen to Chris Wheeler (former Phillies broadcaster) who was so awful that i was 99% sure he had incriminating photos of the Phillies president and the owners.

Gabe Kapler is a interesting choice. I will keep an open mind because I don't know much about him.

9 hours ago, basiltherat said:

Whether Dodgers fan or Astros, let us unite in our hatred for ALL national sportscasters.  Buck or no Buck, they all stinks!  I listened to the radio broadcast (ESPN) after the 7th and it was much better.  

I have to say that the only good thing about losing power and having to turn on the radio was listening to the radio and not Buck.  I like the ESPN booth;.

56 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Give me Matt Vasgerian over Buck.

I think he is doing the International Feed.

So the NL East next year is

1 new owner (Marlins), who from what I read on twitter wants to trade Stanton, Gordon and Osuna.  I'm not sure on the last one.

3 new managers

and the Braves

16 hours ago, mojoween said:

Joe Buck is nominated for a Ford Frick Award which is a pretty high honor.

So when I refer to him as Frickin' Joe, I'll be paying him a "compliment?"  Sweet!

• Love 10
On 10/30/2017 at 0:24 PM, basiltherat said:

Whether Dodgers fan or Astros, let us unite in our hatred for ALL national sportscasters.  Buck or no Buck, they all stinks!  I listened to the radio broadcast (ESPN) after the 7th and it was much better.  

I like Matt Vagasarian from the MLB Network. Wish he could call the World Series on FOX instead of Joe Buck. His home run calls are great. 

14 hours ago, catrox14 said:

Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

• Love 2

I guess parents of young kids who live in the Houston and LA areas have a dilemma: how do you handle watching tonight's game and taking kids to trick or treat? I know if I recorded the game to watch later, I would be going nuts.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

I guess parents of young kids who live in the Houston and LA areas have a dilemma: how do you handle watching tonight's game and taking kids to trick or treat? I know if I recorded the game to watch later, I would be going nuts.

I have no kids, so I will be turning off my porch lights and pretending I'm not home.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I guess parents of young kids who live in the Houston and LA areas have a dilemma: how do you handle watching tonight's game and taking kids to trick or treat?

The same way you follow the game on your commute or any other TVless part of your life.  Come on, this is one of the many things the RADIO is for.  I don't know who the radio announcers are in either market but every single place I've ever lived they are almost always superior to the TV announcers anyway.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The same way you follow the game on your commute or any other TVless part of your life.  Come on, this is one of the many things the RADIO is for.  I don't know who the radio announcers are in either market but every single place I've ever lived they are almost always superior to the TV announcers anyway.

Yeah, I was going to go for putting the game on the tv, muting it and putting the radio on.

6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I live in an apt and they never come to my building.

My neighborhood is next to an apartment complex, they all go here. If I tried to hand out candy, I would never get to see the game.

• Love 2
Just now, kariyaki said:

Yeah, I was going to go for putting the game on the tv, muting it and putting the radio on.

My neighborhood is next to an apartment complex, they all go here. If I tried to hand out candy, I would never get to see the game.

LOL, I feel you!

He is doing commentary for some feed because when MLB Network does their "Rewind" of the World Series games, Vasgersian is doing the play by play. It's really refreshing because they don't overly gush and are actually pretty critical when there's a questionable play or managerial decision.

• Love 1

Wait . . . a runner slid hard into the Coward Chase Utley, and he's unscathed? So lame.

Gotta go to bed soon. It would suck if the Astros locked it down while I was sleeping. I did program the DVR to record 90 minutes after the scheduled slot. Seriously, Fox, why can't you just say four hours? I know stuff like Game 1 is so rare.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I live in an apt and they never come to my building.

I grew up in an apartment and Halloween was the best!  We could wear the greatest costumes because we didn't have to go outside and bother about coats.  And we got enough candy (157 units!) to last almost the whole year.  It was fabulous!! 

Now, I take my best friend out to dinner since her birthday is Halloween.  So I still win! 

And with a 7 game Series, we all win!!

• Love 2

I usually get home from work around 7, at which time T or T is done, or soon to be done. (Which I do not get why kids by me don't go out in the dark, but that's a whole other thing.) So, that, coupled with the fact that I live at the top of a really steep hill that kids just won't climb, not even for full-size candy bars, and I have no game-time conflicts.

I approve of Rich Hill's taking his time mounting the mound when Gurriel was at bat. Pointed, without being aggressive. Give the crowd a minute to get some belly muscle into those boos!

• Love 6

We actually had no T-or-Ters, although I live in an apartment complex with a fair amount of young kids.(And I know some experts suggest that little kids go out while it's still daylight, both for safety reasons and when it's a school night.)

• Love 1

Trick or treating is generally 6-8 so I handed out all my candy and then watched the game.

Is Corey Seager nervous, gripping the bat too hard or what?  I’ve been led to believe that he is a very good batter and I’ve seen him swing at some of the WORST pitches.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smittykins said:

And I know some experts suggest that little kids go out while it's still daylight, both for safety reasons and when it's a school night.

3/4 of the fun is the possibility something dreadful will leap out at you in the darkness! (My step-dad built a fake coffin to decorate the front yard, and hired a buddy to lie in it all night, opening and sitting up when the doorbell rang. Did we permanently scar some kids? Can't really say....) And all you have to do to get kids up for school the next day is give 'em a Snickers for breakfast! :)

You don't have to say it. I'd make a bad parent. :)  I'd totally use that MLB-generated excuse note for a late game, tho. Because giving kids Dodger Dogs for breakfast is just un-good.

• Love 4

Corey Seager is usually better than this, I wonder if his back is still bothering him. Also though, he is still young, I think last yr was his rookie year, and not as experienced, and it is his first world series and that may be some it. I think the same issue with Bellinger, maybe.

Are there rookies on the Houston team?

On a side note McCullers reminds me of Stroman a bit, I would like to see them go head to head.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

Is Corey Seager nervous, gripping the bat too hard or what?  I’ve been led to believe that he is a very good batter and I’ve seen him swing at some of the WORST pitches.

He looks like he's overthinking it to me, instead of just doing what he usually does. I don't know if it's "nervous" per se, but he has on more than one occasion during this post-season looked a little overeager at the plate. Totally understandable.

8 hours ago, attica said:

I'm still a little sniffly about the girl with the robotic arm throwing out the first pitch in game 4.

She got Altuve to sign her hand!

3 hours ago, cleo said:

Are there rookies on the Houston team?

Gurriel is, technically, though he hardly counts since he’s played the last decade in other big leagues. Fisher is, but he’s not a starter. The least experienced starter is Bregman, he’s on his 2nd year. 

• Love 1
Just now, twoods said:

Starting to look like game 3. Poor Yu. I was pulling for him to have a good game. 

I wouldn't count them out at all. This series is wildly unpredictable.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

I took a nap. Just in case.

I was going to do that. I did brew a big pot of coffee though!

I really want a moratorium on asking athletes right after they win a championship "what does this mean to you?". There's no fucking not-trite answer and no one ever says anything interesting. 90% of the time it's just "it means a lot" followed by "I am so happy". Gee, riveting interview.

• Love 8

Congrats to the Astros and their fans. It just wasn't meant to be for the Dodgers, especially stranding so many base runners. The game was off in the house after the third because it never looked good. At least the Red Sox and Yankees didn't win (no offense fans).

Edited by twoods
  • Love 3

Congrats to the 'Stros!!! I was rooting for them, and am glad that they pulled it out. Springer might be my new non-Sox baseball boyfriend.

Sorry for the Dodgers and their fans, though. It was a great series--wish both teams could've won somehow.

• Love 3

What a fucking great World Series! That was just terrific. Astros earned every bit of that championship. Great for the city of Houston as well. Just a wonder story this season. Congrats, Houston and their fans!

• Love 5

Roberts is definitely going to get shit for this game with the way he managed the pitching. I have no idea why Yu would pitch after getting crapped on in game 3 when Wood killed it in game 4 (and tonight). Then he should have pulled him after the first walk in the second inning. That doesn't excuse all those strikeouts (and double play) with runners in scoring positions. It just wasn't their day.

Was Yu really tipping his pitches?

I'm sure Giants fans are dancing around as much as the Astros fans.

Edited by twoods

Well, Roberts did a truly bang-up job managing the pitching this Series.[/sarcasm]

I'm happy for the city of Houston, it's always nice when a new team wins, and Yuli Gurriel can go fuck himself because he single-handedly ruined the thought of the Astros winning for me.

• Love 5

As I am not a complete stone-cold bitch, I found Correa proposing to be completely adorable.  And I can give an amused smile to Papi’s reaction also.

But that’s it.  Fuck Gurriel.  He tipped his cap to Darvish so now all is ok?  Nuh-uh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9