Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

26 minutes ago, pennben said:

Oh, dear.  Given the Cubs offense this series, I'd say the game is likely already out of reach.  Sigh.  Off to watch The Good Place, my happy show:)

I believe I said it earlier in this thread... ah ye of little faith.  It is the Nats, after all.

• Love 1

I was trying to think back on the days when I *really* loved baseball. Yankee fan but they weren't very good and I hated the Mets. However, I totally loved the A's so this WS was a real happening. Reggie was an all around player back then.

19 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I believe I said it earlier in this thread... ah ye of little faith.  It is the Nats, after all.

You have your rituals, I have mine:)  I need stress breaks along the way.  A little rain delay soon perhaps could also help:)

• Love 1

This is the third postseason since 2014 and I still can't get over how readily managers are using their aces out of the bullpen and how rarely it has worked. It happened before 2014 too, of course, but that seemed to make it way more common than it should be given the success of it. People forget that Madison Bumgarner did not pitch out of the bullpen until there were no tomorrows.

I just want to go on record before the end of the game, that even I didn't really like that overturn at first base. Who knows what's going to happen, but I'd have liked a win to not have that as part of it.  Uggh.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, pennben said:

I just want to go on record before the end of the game, that even I didn't really like that overturn at first base. Who knows what's going to happen, but I'd have liked a win to not have that as part of it.  Uggh.

It's a terrible use of replay. That needs to change.

• Love 1

I agree.  They finally showed a split-screen shot at the top of the ninth, that showed the guy likely out.  But, at some point, you have just got to let folks play. 

So the Cubs won this insane game.  Here we go, I guess.  Get your shit together team, please, for the next series.  Until then.....

Next Thursday I'm flying home from a work trip and connecting through DFW (my most hated airport) where I will be on the very same flight on the very same day of the week as I was last year flying home from another work trip, which happened to be the day after the Cubs won the WS.  I'm not saying I'm superstitious or anything but...

I tried to stay up, but it was still the eighth inning at almost 11 and I had been falling asleep for an hour.  I just now found out who won.

And now ugh, I have no interest in rooting for either the Dodgers or Cubs.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, mojoween said:

And now ugh, I have no interest in rooting for either the Dodgers or Cubs.

I actually like this matchup as it's the closest thing this post season that baseball might have to an Original Six like hockey.  Plus I dig both managers a lot.

• Love 2

I definitely like both AL teams more than either NL team. I want the Cubs to beat the Dodgers (preferably in dramatic games in which all the pitchers are used a lot) and then I want whoever wins the ALCS to beat them. As a Yankee fan, I obv have my preference as to who that should be.

• Love 1

Fun! 

Quick question @kariyaki.  I was in Houston for business years ago, probably not long after Minute Maid Park opened (maybe 2004-2005).  As I recall, we were sitting down the right field line past first base.  I could swear we were sitting in the front row area, but there were tables and drink/food service.  Am I making that up? Do they, perhaps take that out and replace with seats for the playoffs?  Anyway, random question, I know, but I've been looking for those tables the last couple of games I've seen played here in Houston and didn't see them. 

7 minutes ago, pennben said:

Fun! 

Quick question @kariyaki.  I was in Houston for business years ago, probably not long after Minute Maid Park opened (maybe 2004-2005).  As I recall, we were sitting down the right field line past first base.  I could swear we were sitting in the front row area, but there were tables and drink/food service.  Am I making that up? Do they, perhaps take that out and replace with seats for the playoffs?  Anyway, random question, I know, but I've been looking for those tables the last couple of games I've seen played here in Houston and didn't see them. 

They remodeled the stadium just last year and moved that to center field when they got rid of Tal's Hill. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Am I the only one having trouble reading the white print on the orange background of the on-screen score box?  I can see the Yankees haven’t scored (yeah!) but have no idea if the Astros have.

You are not the only one.  I thought maybe it was my old eyes.

Now, I can tell you the number next to the Astros is 1.  Yay!

OMG, I'm having a Jeffrey Maier flashback nightmare...

6 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Fuck yeah! That stadium erupted like a volcano when that walk off run came in. So loud. Awesome game. 

I started jumping up and down screaming "He dropped the ball!". I'm not even a Astros fan, but it was so awesome!

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I know I'm the only one who likes this showboat but he makes me laugh.

Not the only one.  I can enjoy him because he's on the other side of the country playing for a team I rarely watch.  So when I see him, I smile.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know I'm the only one who likes this showboat but he makes me laugh.

Nah, I'm a Giants fan and I can't help but love him. That he makes so many people angry because he enjoys himself and injects some personality into the game makes it even easier for me. 

Joe Maddon, on the other hand...

• Love 2

Ooof, as soon as they walked and Turner was up, I turned to a friend and said "walk off".  This is going to end where it probably should for the Cubs in this series.  I love Maddon, but good lord, he needs to stop trying to be smarter than everyone.  Finally, I need no more doubleheaders of Bears/Cubs any time soon. 

Why was Lackey in there again? Hubby screamed at us to watch the at bat because he knew it would be a walk off. I am now hoping for a sweep at Wrigley just to see a lot of sad Cubs fan. Yes, I am THAT bitch.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, twoods said:

Why was Lackey in there again? Hubby screamed at us to watch the at bat because he knew it would be a walk off. I am now hoping for a sweep at Wrigley just to see a lot of sad Cubs fan. Yes, I am THAT bitch.

Sorry to disappoint, but most Cubs fans have known they are on borrowed time this post-season.  This year never felt quite right. It won't be sadness, more of a relief and let's move on moment if they are eliminated. Now, if they hadn't have won it all last year.........

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, pennben said:

Sorry to disappoint, but most Cubs fans have known they are on borrowed time this post-season.  This year never felt quite right. It won't be sadness, more of a relief and let's move on moment if they are eliminated. Now, if they hadn't have won it all last year.........

Haha I get it, and that's partially why I'm hoping that they get swept (since they won last year). If they hadn't, I'd be rooting for the them. You never know- the Cubs could win three at Wrigley because the biggest enemy for the Dodgers are themselves as that losing streak showed. Their bullpen has played extremely well, though.

I would love to root for a team that is playing on borrowed time, yet still make it to the league championship series.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I'm sorry, but that home run was nothing like the Kirk Gibson home run in 1988.  Nothing.

And on a totally shallow note, I'm not really into Mr. Turner's hair.  At all.

Yeah, that's been confusing me as well. First of all, since I was a kid in 1988 and I don't like the Dodgers at all, it never occurred to me that Gibson's homer didn't come in a must-win game. What do you meaaaan it happened in Game 1! But also, wasn't Kirk Gibson basically incapable of playing the field and was only on the roster to do exactly that? Part of what made the moment was that it was dramatic because Gibson was injured and barely able to make his way around the bases. Justin Turner is arguably the best player on the team! As soon as Lackey came in, I knew the Dodgers were going to win but once it got to Turner with men on, it was obvious. There was nothing improbable about this at all. I totally believed what I saw.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ebk57 said:

And on a totally shallow note, I'm not really into Mr. Turner's hair.  At all.

I know, it's really terrible. I otherwise like Turner in his interviews, he's very winsome. But the beard hair doesn't match his regular hair, neither in color or texture -- and he's balding, which makes the long hair kind of funny looking when there's a big bald spot right on the crown. But hey, it's not a mullet like Charlie Blackmon's, he's got that going for him at least.

Just so this post isn't totally shallow, that homerun was awesomely caught by that Dodger fan.

• Love 2

Three years ago on this day, this happened, and I cried tears of joy more than I did when the Giants actually won the WS itself. When they actually won, I think I just breathed a sigh of relief that I could go back to concentrating on real life.