Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I was at least happy that Gurriel didn't get a run off of Darvish, and that Kershaw struck him out. And each time, his being out ended the inning. Karma.

I wanted my dad to enjoy seeing the Dodgers win again, but now the state of Texas actually has a World Series championship. Congratulations to the Astros, I remember when the Cubs would play them in the NL Central. But ugh, Gurriel. Can't let go of that.

I worried about Larry King a few times last night. I know it's L.A., but he was wearing a big jacket and looked so cold!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Well, Roberts did a truly bang-up job managing the pitching this Series.[/sarcasm]

I'm happy for the city of Houston, it's always nice when a new team wins, and Yuli Gurriel can go fuck himself because he single-handedly ruined the thought of the Astros winning for me.

My thoughts exactly NUguy.  I was hoping Darvish would bounce back and have a decent game but it wasn't meant to be.  Good for Houston but fuck that bitch Gurriel.

Edited by QueerGirrl
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Correa proposing to his girlfriend was my favorite part of the night.

He was so cute in the post-post-post game interview on MLBtv. He was talking about the pressure of needing to win so he could get engaged, where he had the ring so it would be handy, without it being in his pocket which might serve as a jinx, and all of that. And then somebody on the panel asked what he would have done if they hadn't won, and he waited just a beat before grinning, shrugging, and saying, expansively, "Plan B!"  Adorbs.

In the same show, Altuve was talking about his whole career, not being signed when he first got attention from the Stros. He may have outed himself, however, since he doesn't seem to remember if it happened when he was 17 (his "official" age) or when he was 16 (the age that came first to his lips, before correcting himself to the "right" answer).

Cubs fan here handing the crown to the Astros, who rebuilt the same way we did.  Another "curse" reversed.  

Poor Yu, he had a bad series.  Two bad starts AND being insulted.  I hope he finds comfort in a big, big contract (maybe from us).

Congrats to Correa and a big shout out to the manager, who used gut as well as math.  

Roberts will be criticized for his pitching decisions, as Cubs fans did with Joe Maddon last year and he won the Series!  It's just part of baseball to blame the manager (hell, even Girardi got canned)

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, attica said:

He was so cute in the post-post-post game interview on MLBtv. He was talking about the pressure of needing to win so he could get engaged, where he had the ring so it would be handy, without it being in his pocket which might serve as a jinx, and all of that. 

Lol, I didn't see the interview. Where was he keeping the ring?! That was a pretty serious rock, I would've had that thing super glued to my body!

38 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Lol, I didn't see the interview. Where was he keeping the ring?! That was a pretty serious rock, I would've had that thing super glued to my body!

I’m paraphrasing, but Correa went down to the clubhouse in the middle of the 9th and told someone, “I don’t want to jinx it, but if we get those three outs, I need you to bring this to me.”

• Love 1

Mets Fan: The season is over. All teams are level, and I don't have anything to be angry about. I mean, not like Mickey Callaway is secretly an ax-murderin' cannibal, right?

Daily News: Here's a picture of free agent Giancarlo Staton . . .

Mets Fan: [stops breathing]

Daily News: But the Mets probably won't land him.

Mets Fan: Right. He'll sign with the Nationals and make our lives even more miserable. But I'm not gonna let that keep me down!

Internet Headline: Hernandez Make Homophobic Joke Before Game 7

Mets Fan: GODDAMMIT, KEITH!!

• Love 3

I’ve seen that Keith said both “I’m not from San Francisco” and “I’m from San Francisco.”

If it was the first, it’s a bad joke that doesn’t even make any sense because he IS from San Fran.

If it’s the second, I don’t get homophobic from it, I get since Papi was pretending to be Puig, a DODGER, that Keith doesn’t want to be licked because he’s from San Fran, aka a Giant.

I'm confused.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, UYI said:

One year ago today. I'll never forget it. :)

Neither will I as I was in Cubs country at the time on a work trip and my client's office was decked out in Cubs gear the next morning.  It was a great to be an honorary Cubs fan!

What does MLB Tonight do every day after they stop talking about the WS? Yeah, there's the who gets the next NYY mgr position and free agency but what do they fill the hour with once most of that is done? Do they go on hiatus at any point? Just wondering.

Edited by prican58
On 11/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, prican58 said:

What does MLB Tonight do every day after they stop talking about the WS?

Hot stove, baby! Contracts and team-business stuff. Plus they run more non-news programming. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, attica said:

Hot stove, baby! Contracts and team-business stuff. Plus they run more non-news programming. 

Ok. That's fine.

21 hours ago, smittykins said:

This is a good thing. I think, though that management may have been hoping he would opt out so that they wouldn't have to pay the remaining money. I doubt any team will give him more than the $64M over 3 he is owed and the Yanks, if he didi opt out would prob have offered him less. 

On 11/3/2017 at 11:31 AM, prican58 said:

What does MLB Tonight do every day after they stop talking about the WS? Yeah, there's the who gets the next NYY mgr position and free agency but what do they fill the hour with once most of that is done? Do they go on hiatus at any point? Just wondering.

They do not stop during the off season, but the same show gets repeated over and over until the next morning.

Starting Monday the schedule should be

9 am Hot Stove

12/1 High Heat

2 MLB Now

4/5 Intentional Talk

6/7 MLB Tonight

and all but Hot Stove gets repeated overnight (Hot Stove is repeated right after)

I’m watching the BBWAA nomination show because baseball and I was getting irritated with Ken Rosenthal and Harold Reynolds because they were making AL Cy Young sound like a two man race between Kluber and Sale but then they did give Sevy some love.  Which they should.  Because he gets my vote over those two.

Also nominated:

AL Rookie -Judge (duh), Benintendi and Trey Mancini

NL Rookie - Bellinger, Josh Bell, Paul DeJong

AL Manager - Molitor, Francona, Hinch

NL Manager - Roberts, Black, Lovullo

NL Cy Young - Kershaw, Scherzer, Strasburg

AL MVP - Judge (yayyayayayay!), Jose Ramirez, Altuve

NL MVP - Goldschmist, Stanton, Votto

Obviously I would love for Aaron to win the MVP, but I am astounded with the range of Altuve’s arm.  But also, if I am voting, I think Houston makes the playoffs if Altuve is not there.  You cannot say the same for NY.

I do have to say, if your team doesn’t make the playoffs, how valuable are you?  Your outcome would be the same whether you are there or not. (I love him, but A-Rod winning MVP with the last place Rangers was stupid).

Retired pitcher Roy Halladay killed in plane crash

Roy Halladay, the former MLB pitching star and two-time Cy Young winner, is reportedly dead after his plane crashed Tuesday afternoon into the Gulf of Mexico. He was 40 years old.

The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office in Florida confirmed Tuesday that Halladay died in the crash, which happened around 1 p.m. ET about 10 miles west of St. Petersburg. Initial reports said one person died in the crash but the victim wasn’t unidentified until the sheriff’s office confirmed Tuesday afternoon what many had feared — it was Halladay.

After he retired from baseball in 2013, Halladay got his pilot’s license. His father was a corporate pilot, so Halladay had grown up around planes and had flying in his blood. Last month, he announced on Twitter that he’d bought the Icon A5 plane that was involved in the accident. Since buying the plane, he’d posted videos of himself in it on his Twitter account

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

He’s four years younger than I am.  I can’t even process this.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Has there ever been a MVP finalist field where none of the player's teams made the playoffs?

Goldschmidt is from Arizona?  And they made it (I’m questioning it because I can’t remember, I’m not so much for the NL).

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

He’s four years younger than I am.  I can’t even process this.

Goldschmidt is from Arizona?  And they made it (I’m questioning it because I can’t remember, I’m not so much for the NL).

You're correct. Arizona won the 1 game wild card playoff and then lost in the next round to the Dodgers.

As a Yankee fan I hated him, of course. I believe the Cy Young award he won in the AL was where he beat out Andy Pettitte, if I recall correctly. Naturally I couldn't stand him. BUT, no denying his greatness as he was dominant with a capital D. The news today made me gasp. These things are so disturbing when they happen. You can despise players of rival teams but when it's all done you have to acknowledge the greatness. (maybe not Big Papi, but....)

Very sad, indeed.  

• Love 3

I can't believe it. He endeared himself to Phillies fans right away. I teared up when I saw . 

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2017/11/7/16620462/roy-halladay-former-phillies-pitcher-dies-in-plane-crash

Around the time he came to the Phillies a fan started a blog called I wanna go to the Zoo with Roy. It was a silly ( In a good way) blog but after Roy retired he did go to the Zoo with this fan and his family.

http://www.zoowithroy.com/2014/08/the-official-zoo-with-roy-zoo-with-roy.html?m=1

I love this commercial he did after his Cy young in 2010

His Chooch pillow ♥

Edited by shoregirl
To add the commercial
  • Love 8

Mattress Mack (I love him and everything he has done for Houston-watch his story on Harvey, but know he does stuff like that all the time) said he took out insurance and made a large bet in Vegas on the Astros to win so he ended up making money on the deal.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Mattress Mack (I love him and everything he has done for Houston-watch his story on Harvey, but know he does stuff like that all the time) said he took out insurance and made a large bet in Vegas on the Astros to win so he ended up making money on the deal.

I saw an interview with him in one of his stores/shelters during Harvey. The reporter asked what he would do with the mattresses that people were sleeping on and he said that they were going to clean them up and give a great deal on used beds to Houston residents who may have lost everything.

Being a good guy does not rule out being a smart businessman. 

• Love 4

I hate it when that happens...

Royals manager Ned Yost breaks pelvis falling out of tree

Royals manager Ned Yost sustained a broken pelvis while working on his property in Meriwether County, Ga., the club confirmed Wednesday night.

Yost, 62, was working on a tree stand, an elevated platform used for hunting, when he suffered a fall that caused the injury. The incident apparently occurred a few days ago, with one club official describing it as happening “over the weekend.” As of Wednesday evening, Yost was resting at a hospital near Atlanta and expected to make a full recovery.

Is it wrong that I would not have been surprised if that had happen with Mickey Callaway? Just watch . . . he's going to get into the coma the same way as O.J. Simpson's character at the start of The Naked Gun.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

I saw an interview with him in one of his stores/shelters during Harvey. The reporter asked what he would do with the mattresses that people were sleeping on and he said that they were going to clean them up and give a great deal on used beds to Houston residents who may have lost everything.

Being a good guy does not rule out being a smart businessman. 

Absolutely!  His whole attitude is just awesome.  

• Love 3

Update - since 2010, the AL has had exactly *two* second basemen win the Silver Slugger.  That’s crazy.  There’s really no competition for Cano and Altuve?

The excitable co-host, who I love, Erik Something, said that Ozuna from the Marlins helped his hitting by changing to center from left (or vice versa, I can’t recall) but he didn’t explain HOW that helped.  And I want to know.

I’m picturing @MyAimIsTrue seething while Adam Wainwright wins in the NL and the AL equivalent goes to ... the DH.  Nelson Cruz is worthy though!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

Greg Maddux never won the Silver Slugger (we can talk about his bazillion Gold Gloves instead) but from 1995 through 1998, inclusive, it was all Tom Glavine and John Smoltz.  Take that DH!

ETA:  Looks like Glav won it in 1991 as well.  Oh do I still love that magical season.

• Love 1

Because Aaron Judge has ruined my life I watched another postseason awards show.

Apparently the Wilson Corporation is not doing as well as Louisville Slugger because there are only nine Defensive Player of the Year Award winners instead of seventeen.  And no Yankees won booooo.

What the highlights taught me, though, is that Kevin Pillar is pretty good at his job and also, he has no respect for his own safety.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/confidential/jacob-degrom-expects-short-hair-stronger-article-1.3624444

For what it's worth, DeGrom's hair cut is hopefully the start of a trend of shearing off the long manes and reigning in of the lumberjack stupid ass beards that I effing loathe! I know most fans seem to love the "free expression" and I am not advocating putting in rules but I like being able to recognize the faces. Case in point, Ben Gamel. When he was up with the Yanks a couple seasons ago his hair was great. A little longer than what the organization likes it flowed when he was running and it was fine. Now in Seattle the hair is way longer and the beard covers up that handsome face. 

I just wish more would just decide to clean it up.  Just sayin'.

I want Rob Thomson to be the new NYY mgr. Going with my gut. My gut said Girardi over Mattingly and I think that worked out well in 10 years so hopefully I'm right again. I hope they decide by Thanksgiving.

• Love 2