Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I've been following signings with a glance here and there.  One of my favorite things is that some fellow Cubs fans are scoffing at the pitchers thus far signed by the Cubs.  The most typical line is that "they didn't sign an Arrieta", to which I can only think "Arrieta wasn't an Arrieta when we got him". And while I think we need another starting pitcher, who knows how all of these folks (mostly bullpen) will pan out.  There have been many years when the Cubs won the off-season only to disappoint.  As a general rule, therefore, I try to stay informed and reserve judgment.

Happy Holidays to all....see you in the spring!!:)

I'm in SoCal this week for work and I connected through Phoenix today.  As a life long east coast resident I'm always surprised by how different the landscape is in the desert southwest and Phoenix looked like the lunar surface to me but I was able to see Chase Field while descending and that made me happy for some reason.  The roof was open.

• Love 4
On 12/15/2017 at 1:56 PM, Lantern7 said:

In other news, the final game of the Mets/Yankees series at Citi Field will be on Sunday, July 10, at 1:10. Not included: an asterisk denoting "Yeah fucking right. ESPN is so gonna bump this one to 8."

Got an e-mail from the Mets. The home series against the Yankees has been moved to 8 p.m. I have to ask: is a Subway Series outside October a big deal anymore? And the game is in early June (I was off by a month), so it might be a school night. Both series enders start at 8. If I went to one of them, I'd probably take mass transit and maybe get home before 1 a.m.

Interleague play blows.

I listen to sports talk from five a.m. to one p.m. daily.  And I have to say, I am SO damn sick of hearing about the Marlins.

Yes, I get it.  Jeter and his group don’t have enough money, they don’t know what they are doing and they made some boneheaded decisions.

I adore Dan LeBatard to pieces but he is saying the SAME THING EVERY DAY and it’s not going to change anything.  So now it’s just boring as hell.

I hope him having Manfred on his show today will finally put it to bed.

And I mean, Marlins Man is moving on.  We all should too.

^Holy crap!

I never thought I would see the day Longoria would not be terrorizing the Yankees.

His legacy to me will always be The Night in September when with one bullet shot to the corner he broke my heart and simultaneously made me delirious.

• Love 1

Cole Hamels donates $10 million home to charity

Rangers pitcher Cole Hamels and his wife, Heidi, decided this summer that they’d rather live in Texas than in the 10-bedroom, 19-bathroom home they purchased near Branson, Missouri, so they put it on the market for $9.4 million. Then they had a better idea. 

Hamels announced Friday that he is donating the mansion to a camp for kids with chronic illnesses and other special needs. The gift is the largest donation in the history of Camp Barnabas, the charity said. The 32,000-square-foot home has 10 bedrooms, 13 full bathrooms and six half bathrooms. It sits on over 100 acres of land, all of which will be donated to the camp. The charity hasn’t yet announced how it intends to use the former Hamels property. The camp already has two other locations in the area.

Hamels and his wife had the home built while he was pitching for the Phillies, intending it to be their permanent home.  After being traded to the Rangers in 2015, they decided to settle in Texas.  They considered selling the home, but decided to donate it instead.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5

That is SUCH a good thing the Hamels did but ugh, Heidi.  It’s nice to see that people can change though.

The interview with LeBatard and Manfred was more uncomfortable than I ever could have imagined.  Pretty sure Manfred now hates Dan.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

His legacy to me will always be The Night in September when with one bullet shot to the corner he broke my heart and simultaneously made me delirious.

Still the greatest single night of regular season baseball ever.

As a frequent Rays viewer I am seriously going to miss Longoria.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Still the greatest single night of regular season baseball ever.

I would go even further and say it was the greatest single night of regular season sports ever. At least that I can recall.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, prican58 said:

What is it about Florida baseball fans? Are they fair weather? What gives?  

One team is saddled by a historically bad ballpark. The other was saddled by a historically bad owner.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, prican58 said:

What is it about Florida baseball fans? Are they fair weather? What gives?  

As a Florida resident who was born and raised elsewhere I think a majority of the population is the same way and those who move here bring their hometown team loyalty with them.  

On 12/21/2017 at 0:45 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

As a Florida resident who was born and raised elsewhere I think a majority of the population is the same way and those who move here bring their hometown team loyalty with them.  

I find that a very credible way of thinking. I guess just the idea of having a team in FL was based on how popular the spring training environment had been over the decades. I would venture to say that AZ may not have this problem even though many residents are also from other places. Am I wrong? 

10 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Wade Davis to the Rockies for 3 yrs/$52million with a fourth year vesting option.

Isn't Denver a place where balls fly out a lot? Not sure why pitchers want to sign there. 

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, prican58 said:

I find that a very credible way of thinking. I guess just the idea of having a team in FL was based on how popular the spring training environment had been over the decades. I would venture to say that AZ may not have this problem even though many residents are also from other places. Am I wrong? 

That's a good question regarding Arizona and I don't know the answer.

As for spring training here in Florida I go to a few games each year at different parks and there's always a lot of folks from the home team town who make a vacation out of it and come down for, say, a week just to go to games.  My stepfather used to do that.

• Love 2

So Derek Jeter decided to name his business pitch for investors (What the hell, they already need additional investors?) in the Miami Marlins after his Michigan Wolverines. 

Way to win over the people of Florida Jetes. Way to win the locals over.

Not that I care . . .  has there been any rivalry between the Hurricanes and Wolverines? I don't follow college sports . . . I would think Jeter would've needed to invoke an ACC(?) team to potentially piss fans off. Dozens upon dozens of fans . . .

A neat representation of Cy Young winners, particularly because they used the logo that was in use at the time the award was given.  Go Expos!

Oh!  I didn’t even notice at first that they also placed Houston in the division they were in at the time.

DS0rYOiVAAAK34_?format=jpg

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Here's the letters column of today's Daily News. Scroll down to "Season's greetings." Question for Mets fans here who get out in the world more than me: do Mets fans actually act like that at all?!? For me, I don't remember the last time the fanbase was hyped for a postseason run. If I say that the Yankees would tank, I would use the word "might," because the Mets has gotten a lot of shit from the Acme Corp., and it has blown up in their faces. Maybe Stanton hurts himself in the first week. Maybe Judge winds up seeing a judge in court in 2018. Anything can happen in a season. Shit, didn't fans rip on Steinbrenner for hiring Joe Torre in 1996? And he turned out to be the second coming of Casey Stengel (for the turn of this century, anyway).

And this guy is from Flushing. I'm all for civility, but I'm thinking -- at minimum -- "tar and feathers."

Edited by Lantern7

The Flushing comment is from one of those superior minded Yankees fans that like to lorde it over Mets fans. I am a NYY fan but why would I even want to rain down insults on Mets fans? Of course, there's always back and forth between both sides but that attitude is so idiotic.

arrogant, big-mouthed, low-life jerks, losers who brag every year 

His own description of Mets fans is how I would describe the writer of the Flushing commentary and many NYY fans. Get over yourselves! He should also be reminded that while championships are won in Oct it is true that championships can be lost in April/May. A few seasons ago the Yanks went through a miserable period where they couldn't win and they just treaded water the rest of the way. 

• Love 2

The deal isn't confirmed yet by either side, is apparently pending a physical, and while I see lots of outlets re-reporting Rosenthal's tweet that the McCutcheon to SF deal is happening, I haven't seen any report of who Pitt's getting in return.