Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Now we NYY fans must prepare for the Judge backlash should he have anything close to a mere mortal like output of HR's. What's wrong with  him? How come he's starting the year like he started the 2nd half of last season?  Is he a flash in the pan? Ughh! Anyway, I'm happy for him.  

With the local NFL scene on the schneid, I can't wait for Feb to get here.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I see Yuli Gurriel received five votes for ROY.  Wonder when those were cast.

Don't they vote on all of the post-season awards before the start of the playoffs? I think they used to do that so that any playoff performances wouldn't influence voters.  I'm not sure if that is still the case.

I appreciate boring.  I like baseball players who are more excited for their daughter's milestones than for any professional awards, who just go out and get the job done and show rather than tell me they are great.  Everyone else can keep the glitzy showboats;  give me the quiet excellence any day.  Congrats to Corey!

• Love 3

The Yankee job search is weird. When they fired Girardi, I just assumed that they already had a short list of candidates they were interested in. But now it feels like an open casting call. Was Cash that dissatisfied with Joe?

• Love 1

Daily News Back Page: Here's how the Yankees could get Giancarlo Stanton! A lot would have to happen, but it's enough to Photoshop him into a Yankee uniform.

Mickey Callaway: Saaaaaaay. . . that might be great for us! Instead of punishing us over twenty times a year, we'd only get it over a four-day period. Nobody tell Terry . . . he'll hate himself for leaving this soon.

Terry Collins: No, I'm good. Really.

ETA for Yankees fans: Would you be okay with having a Dutch guy named "Hensley" managing your team? And he also answers to "Bam Bam"?

On 11/15/2017 at 10:08 PM, xaxat said:

The Yankee job search is weird. When they fired Girardi, I just assumed that they already had a short list of candidates they were interested in. But now it feels like an open casting call. Was Cash that dissatisfied with Joe?

From watching MLB Network this morning Hal Steinbrenner said he would have been fired anyway even if he went to the World Series.

I am really intrigued by the Yankees interviewing Hensley Muelens. It's an interesting thing, simply because he just moved from Giants hitting coach to Giants bench coach, so some (including myself) took that to mean he was likely next in line to replace Bruce Bochy when he retires but clearly, the Giants were okay with him going to interview for the Yankees job. I like the idea of it, as Bam Bam has managerial experience (with Team Netherlands), he's multi-lingual and speaks each of the main languages of the players on the Yankees roster and he's a generally smart and cool baseball dude. I'm pulling for him to get the job, even though it might leave the Giants in a bind later on.

Congrats to Jose Altuve and Giancarlo Stanton on their MVP awards! They are both so much fun to watch and I'm happy for both. I was a little surprised by just HOW much Jose won over Aaron Judge but other than that, I can't be mad, even as a huge Aaron fan.

• Love 1

I’m watching something called the esurance awards because Judge and holy hell a big dust storm came through when Joey Votto won an award for his interactions during a game with an ill young fan. Joey gave the boy his bat and a bunch of other things earlier this year and the boy passed away a month ago.  Joey got emotional when he talked about what it meant to him.

4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

From what I understand, he wasn't gelling so to speak with the younger players.

Unless there is some really bad shit going on behind the scenes, I don't understand this criticism.

Aaron Judge was second in the MVP vote at age 25. Gary Sanchez, their catcher hit 33 home runs. (age 24). Louis Severino (14-6, third in Cy Young voting at 23 years old.) Did ownership expect more out of them?

I really don't know if Girardi is a "great" manager, but the question always is, where are you going to find a better alternative? 

Based in their hiring process, I don't think Cash and Hal know.

• Love 1

Sure, but it doesn't need to make sense to the outside. Hal decided he didn't want to renew the contract, regardless of outcome this year. He doesn't even necessarily think Joe is a bad manager per se, all he has to know is he wants a different one. There may be complex interpersonal or corporate politics in play, or might be as simple as "we want someone new for new's sake".

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Unless there is some really bad shit going on behind the scenes, I don't understand this criticism.

I think the actual reason is that the Yankees want a different managerial style a la Hinch or Francona, managers who are big on establishing dialogue and a rapport with the players. That’s the gist I got from the various articles I’ve read. 

I heard somewhere that management wanted a Joe Girardi-type manager.

What?

Right now I want Robby Thompson as mgr but deep down I don't care because I just want to stop reading about why Joey G was REALLY" let go. Bam Bam might be a good choice. Curacao players are representing in the East (DiDi {Curacao raised}, Schoops) and rumors of trading for Profar so a manager from there would be kind of cool.

mojoween, do you love DiDi as much as I do?  So lucky to have him. http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/10/why_yankees_have_red_sox_exec_to_thank_for_didi_gr.html

14 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I think the actual reason is that the Yankees want a different managerial style a la Hinch or Francona, managers who are big on establishing dialogue and a rapport with the players.

Bobby Cox was that type of manager and it's obvious the style works.

Yeah, I just checked and there’s also another trade down between… oh, I already forgot. But the gist is that there haven’t been any exciting ones yet. Maybe once the Rule 5 draft comes around. 

On 11/20/2017 at 6:58 AM, smittykins said:

That's why I'm afraid that if they bring up Gleybar Torres, that'll mean no more Didi. :(

More likely bye bye Starlin. DiDi is gold. No way they trade him. Of course, anything can happen but I see DiDi as a lifer.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Arthroscopic shoulder surgery?!?!  I hope it was super duper minor and why did he wait so long?  He should have done it the morning after they lost to Houston.  He can accept trophies with one hand.

Mojo, did I miss something? Judge?

Hot Stove on YES starts on the 27th, I think. I love Jack Curry! And Flash! 

I’m sure Torres is as good as they say he is but I don’t want to lose Star either!

Oh haha sorry I got a little ahead of myself.  Judge had a shoulder scope today.  They say he’ll be ready for spring training.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
On 11/21/2017 at 7:16 PM, mojoween said:

I’m sure Torres is as good as they say he is but I don’t want to lose Star either!

Oh haha sorry I got a little ahead of myself.  Judge had a shoulder scope today.  They say he’ll be ready for spring training.

mojo, since we both seem to have a soft spot for Judge, I thought you might enjoy this. At the end of episodes of Disney's Andie Mack show they have a thing with fans talking about the episode. One of the kids looks just like Judge! Down to the hair color, skin tone and gap in his teeth! Go to the 2:34 point and prepare to be astonished. He's adorable.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i79A6EyOZZM

Awesome. He also suggested that Mets fans root for the Yankees when their team is done for the season. I know, not as heinous as the tweets, and he never broke an infielder's leg under the guise of sliding, but Chipper still sucks for that. That, and for razing Shea every time he visited.

• Love 2

Perhaps there should be a place in the Hall for assholes. Maybe in a separate area, with the front part of the plaque facing the wall. I mean, Curt Schilling has the numbers for entry, right? I wouldn't retroactively put present members in such a place. I mean, a lot of legends were pricks.

• Love 2

So the odds were that he'd have to pay admission like everybody else to get in, even if he wasn't an asshole. I'm thinking my judgement was clouded that he stopped the Yankees in different years with different teams.

Don't forget all that money he stole from the state of Rhode Island!

Derek Jeter seems really determined to burn through all of the goodwill he earned buying the Marlins from Jeffery Loria. First he fires all of the special assistants whose primary function was to remind fans of back when the team was good. Now it seems like he's strong arming Stanton into fully waiving his not trade clause. 

• Love 2

The entire world and especially New York sports is a burning trash pit from hell right now but at least some happy and fun things still happen - Aaron Judge received ten write-in votes for Mayor.  I bet he’d be good at it.

• Love 5

The local pundits are crowing about Beltran managing the Yanks. Not sure about this. His knowledge and heart are above reproach but the great players don't often become great mgrs. The lack  of experience doesn't bother me as others have done it with varying degrees of success (can you say Joe Girardi? Piniella? LaRussa? Yogi?). I can say that if he is the guy he will have Rothschild as his PC and hopefully Tony Pena as his bench coach so that would be a positive. 

Some are saying that he might have an issue managing some of his former team mates. I say no as the veteran guys he played with are aging out (Headley, Gardner (I hope he stays a bit longer), CC) and they are the type of guys who prob just go with the flow).

I know Aaron Boone didn't say the shit his bro did but somehow I don't see NYY hiring AB with him having any kind of connection to anything that sniffs of controversy. I could be wrong.

https://deadspin.com/former-mlb-player-gregg-zaun-fired-from-broadcasting-jo-1820900328

First he fires all of the special assistants whose primary function was to remind fans of back when the team was good

How was that working out? Just sayin'. DJ learned at the foot of Yankee Nation. Nothing personal... it's just business. Y'all need to get rid of Stanton in order to get some good young blood and perhaps a few more established guys. It hurt losing Beltran, Andrew Miller and Chapman (temporarily) but that hurt is now forgotten. Loria had no plan, it seemed. Jeter has one. Bet on that.

Edited by prican58
  • Love 1