Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I realized part of the reason I’m not so much for Houston is that I am unsettled that they swooped in and got Verlander so late.  I know they didn’t do anything against the rules but still.  If it’s a crime for the Yankees to buy championships...

(I’m fully aware Houston was good before. I am nothing if not irrational.)

It's not like Verlander is a rental, like Darvish is for the Dodgers. Houston gets Verlander for two more seasons.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, UYI said:

JUSTIN TURNER WITH A TWO-RUN HOME RUN! 

Not watching. I do have to ask: how does one bring a garden gnome to life? For future reference, I mean . . . in case I need the information later.

• Love 2

I can't believe how fast that game was.  I was expecting to be able to get home to watch last few innings, and I had to listen to the ESPN broadcast on my way home because it seemed like I wouldn't make and heard the last inning's happenings in full (that inning went realllllllly fast); it concluded before I got home.

Chris Taylor is very purty indeed.

Nice, I got to stare at Baez last WS and Taylor this year. Throw in some Darvish and Ethier and I'm all set on the eye candy.

That was such a quick game. I wanted to see the 9th after cleaning the kitchen but it was already done. I guess everyone wanted to get out of the heat. 103 in October is insane.

3 hours ago, twoods said:

103 in October is insane.

Strange as it may seem, it really isn't that unusual here in LA.  I've lived here for almost seventeen years, and there are always a few October days where it's hot as hell.  Our summer really runs from August through mid-October, so this is likely summer's last sweltering hurrah (I fucking hope anyway).

13 hours ago, mojoween said:

(I’m fully aware Houston was good before. I am nothing if not irrational.)

I have this concept called RDS. It stands for Roaring Double Standard. It goes like this: A standard is what's good for the goose is good for the gander. A double standard is what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander. An RDS is what's good for the goose is good for the goose, and the gander can go fuck itself.

I don't have many, but I have decided at this stage of my life to embrace those RDSs I do have without apology. Come at me! :)

• Love 6

I remember 1986. I can accuse Mike Scott of cheating all I want, but I have to acknowledge that the Astros were worthy opponents for the Mets. Out of their four wins, three had them scoring in the final inning.

ETA: Mike Lupica wrote a book on Game 6 of the NLCS, proclaiming the greatest game ever played. At minimum, the Mets coming back from 3-0 in the ninth might be in the same realm as that other Game 6.

• Love 2

I posted this on FB six years ago -

*Sigh*  I totally have chills...I just heard a replay of Vin Scully's call of the Buckner play (it was 25 years ago today).  Scully is amazing.  Also...Mookie Wilson!  Yay!

Yeah, this will always, ALWAYS be true.  The start of a 12 year old girl’s (but six days from 13!) lifelong love affair with Mookie Wilson.  

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Chase Utley's walk up song is my ring tone. What a shame that an ass is ruining such a good song.

His walk-up music isn't the sound of thousands of people flipping him off? Or maybe it should be Mac reading the letter he wrote for him in "The World Series Defense."

• Love 3

Before I go to bed, here's what I was talking about. "The World Series Defense" is an episode from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia where the Gang goes to court to fight parking tickets. Turns out they had an adventure the day that the Phillies won the World Series. In this scene, Dee tries to figure out which player she'll kiss when she runs on the field, and Mac really, really, REALLY loves him some Chase Utley. Check it out.

• Love 1

So I'm watching on Fox 29 in Philadelphia and for almost the entire top of the 10th, they've lost the national commentators audio.  I've gotta say, a whole lot of silence and distant crowd noise is better than listening to Joe Buck.  

ETA:  Shit.  The audio just came back.  Bummer.

2 HOURS AGO,  MYAIMISTRUE SAID: 

Chase Utley's walk up song is my ring tone. What a shame that an ass is ruining such a good song.

I adore Chase Utley.  "World Champions.  World FUCKING CHAMPIONS!"  Still gives me chills.

Edited by SuburbanHangSuite
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

This Series is a freakin' home run derby. Have ANY runs scored not on home runs????

Yeah, Reddick scored on Bregman’s RBI in the third. 

• Love 1

The Dodgers bullpen finally faltered. I am going to pretend to be asleep when hubby gets home from the game so I don't have to deal with his foul mood with watching that loss. At least he got to see Vin Scully on the mound. 

This weekend should be interesting.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 4

When I went to bed last night the Dodgers were up 3 - 2 in the eighth and I figured they had it in the bag so imagine my surprise this morning at seeing the score and that the game went into extra innings.  Sorry I missed it!  If nothing else I want a competitive World Series so I'm glad it's tied one game a piece now.

• Love 7

Found out about the game in here this morning. Kinda sucks missing big stuff (like the Cavs finally winning one for Cleveland), but the major sports love the late hours. I'm m guessing the game would've ended ten minutes sooner without the first pitch bit. It was cute, though.

Whom do you think will be representing for Houston in the next three games. Is Nolan Ryan a given, even if he's Rangers management?

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Whom do you think will be representing for Houston in the next three games. Is Nolan Ryan a given, even if he's Rangers management?

He's not Rangers management anymore, there was a falling out. He's Astros for several years now. Ryan has been to every postseason game so far. Craig Biggio too. 

In fact, Nolan Ryan was Justin Verlander's boyhood hero and there was an interview after game 2 of the ALDS where Verlander geeked out about Ryan having been there and watched him pitch.

For some reason, I watched Vin throwing out the first pitch.  While I despise the Dodgers, Vin reminds me of some of the old coot broadcasters we had here in Chicago (Jack Brickhouse, Harry Caray, Hawk Harrelson) so I did appreciate the history and love for him.

I suggest the Astros get JJ Watt to throw out the first pitch tomorrow, if you wanna hear cheering.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, basiltherat said:

I suggest the Astros get JJ Watt to throw out the first pitch tomorrow, if you wanna hear cheering.

He'll be on crutches if they do. Maybe James Harden? Basketball season just started, so he may be busy, though. Nolan Ryan will be there, maybe they'll get him to do it.

3 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Did any of you folks who live in LA get to see more of the "intruder in the dugout" mystery?

It was the Astros bullpen. I don't think it was much of a mystery. It was right after Correa's homerun put the Astros in the lead, I imagine it was just a pissed off drunk Dodger fan.

• Love 1

The way I remember it, they offered Torre a contract, but he rejected it(I still think they deliberately lowballed him).  It sounds like they just told Girardi “we’re getting someone else.”

I’d like to see Joe go back to the broadcast booth, if that’s what he wants to do; I’m sure there’s an opening somewhere.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Damn you, Yankees.  DAMN YOU.

Right? The team love him! Cashman has no clue what is in the heart of a ball player. He's all about $$$$$. Joe would definitely have come back, even with a not so great contract. He loves the Yankee players, coaches and staff, and I believe they love him. I will miss The Joe Girardi Show on YES.

• Love 1

There are some people joking that Girardi and Baker are going to trade teams now.

The thing is, Girardi going to the Nats might actually happen. I certainly think the Nats should at LEAST consider talking to him. 

• Love 3