Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Well there goes my dream.  The Phillies are reportedly hiring Thomson as their bench coach.  So not only will he not be the manager, he’ll be GONE.  That’s doubly bad!

Update!  It’s between Boone and Meulens.

I hope it’s Boone so I don’t have to try to remember how to spell Meulens.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Aaron Bleeping Boone!

Oh shit! I didn't realize you were referring to a final decision! I just read this...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/aaron-boone-manager-yankees-article-1.3671300

I'm guessing Tony Pena will not be back....have you heard anything about that, mojo? He would be good as a bench coach. Former catcher dealing with Gary Sanchez and could be a seamless bridge.

Anyway, Cashman has a history of making the right moves for the most part so I hope he knows what he's doing this time. And I doubt Brother Rat Bret will be connected to this regime. 

Edited by prican58

I find it curious that the Yankees keep hiring managers who have spent time in media, all the way back through Torre. I mean, sure, you want a person who is comfortable with the press, being NY and all, but I guess now it's a career path for them rather than actual on-field baseball work.

15 hours ago, attica said:

I find it curious that the Yankees keep hiring managers who have spent time in media, all the way back through Torre. I mean, sure, you want a person who is comfortable with the press, being NY and all, but I guess now it's a career path for them rather than actual on-field baseball work.

Attica, Torre and Joey G did have bench coach/mgr experience before being hired ny NYY. But yeah, it's a new world for baseball managers.

This was on the NY Daily News front page today. Please notice I did not say "back page." In case the link goes down, here's what we have: a picture of the highly-sought Shohei Otani, the headline "WHAT A CHICKEN!" and the subhead "Japan star snubs Yanks, fears big city." Front page, people. All the shit going in the world, including the football Giants front office sharpening their blades, and they went with that. Go figure, right? To the Yankees fans here: was the front page justified?

• Love 3
Just now, Lantern7 said:

This was on the NY Daily News front page today. Please notice I did not say "back page." In case the link goes down, here's what we have: a picture of the highly-sought Shohei Otani, the headline "WHAT A CHICKEN!" and the subhead "Japan star snubs Yanks, fears big city." Front page, people. All the shit going in the world, including the football Giants front office sharpening their blades, and they went with that. Go figure, right? To the Yankees fans here: was the front page justified?

Wow. That's some garbage even for the Daily News. My gods.  Yeah cause playing for the Nippon Ham Fighters in Sapporo is totally a dude afraid of NYC? Assholes!

• Love 1

I've been buying the NYDN since forever and their descent into NY Postville has been noticeable for years now. I thought it rather silly and while I don't feel Ohtani is "chicken" I say get lost. Not disappointed at all. People have their comfort zone. Maybe he doesn't like big cities. Maybe he's a sensitive guy and not looking forward to high octane media criticism. Maybe he wants the west coast because it's a  shorter plane trip back home. He's 23. It's fine. He should have said from the get go that the east coast was a deal breaker, instead of having every MLB team fill out some bullshit questionnaire. Is that SOP in these situations? But I guess they wanted leverage but what good is it if you eliminate 6 or 7 teams in the AL and NL.

Good luck to him. it should be  an interesting saga. Kind of glad the Yankees won't be caught in any possible vortex.    Red Sox won't get him either so that's a win right there.  

• Love 1

I would have expected that from the Post, which I gave up on ages ago. I mean, the front page? That should only have gotten a banner on the back page, below "GIANTS REALLY SUCK" and "JETS MEDIOCRE, BUT AT LEAST THERE'S HOPE."

Ohtani is going to Seattle, right? That's the only West Coast city I can consider, and that's where Ichiro landed. The only other place is San Diego, but aren't they always on a budget, at least compared to the rest of the NL West?

I don't want to get my hopes up, but Ohtani to the Giants is not a huge stretch in any way. While they may be the largest non-LA market of the West Coast teams chosen to meet with him, there are other perks that may appeal to him. San Francisco itself is not a large city in the same way NYC is, and he could easily live in a quiet suburb if he likes (as many Giants do). There is a Japanese community, should that be important to him. The Giants are pretty cool about their pitchers hitting and wouldn't be the type of team that tries to "protect"  him by limiting his time at the plate. They also need outfielders! And now, they still have a bench coach that speaks Japanese (thanks Yankees, even if I still think you're dumb!). Not only that, but they have recently developed a number of players who have become part of their successful core that lead them to WS championships, many of whom are still around and many of whom are getting older, leaving room for a new young star to step in. I'm just saying, it could happen.

Also, Giancarlo. You come too.

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

I don't want to get my hopes up, but Ohtani to the Giants is not a huge stretch in any way. While they may be the largest non-LA market of the West Coast teams chosen to meet with him, there are other perks that may appeal to him. San Francisco itself is not a large city in the same way NYC is, and he could easily live in a quiet suburb if he likes (as many Giants do). There is a Japanese community, should that be important to him. The Giants are pretty cool about their pitchers hitting and wouldn't be the type of team that tries to "protect"  him by limiting his time at the plate. They also need outfielders! And now, they still have a bench coach that speaks Japanese (thanks Yankees, even if I still think you're dumb!). Not only that, but they have recently developed a number of players who have become part of their successful core that lead them to WS championships, many of whom are still around and many of whom are getting older, leaving room for a new young star to step in. I'm just saying, it could happen.

Also, Giancarlo. You come too.

Not a big SF fan at all so y'all can have him and Giancarlo, too. Hope he stays NL. 

So I really miss baseball. I'm thinking about getting mlb network. Kind of annoyed at paying extra for it bc I already pay for MLB premium or whatever it is to stream all the games.

Do people like MLB network in the off season? Do they show old games? It looks like just news from their site.

35 minutes ago, cleo said:

Do people like MLB network in the off season? Do they show old games? It looks like just news from their site.

They don't usually show old games, no. I wish there were a Classic channel where they did. MLB network just chatters about Hot Stove (and since nothing has really happened yet as far as trades go, it's been a lot of spec), but aside from the Hot Stove stuff, they've been showing a lot of documentaries, like the Ken Burns one.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, cleo said:

So I really miss baseball. I'm thinking about getting mlb network. Kind of annoyed at paying extra for it bc I already pay for MLB premium or whatever it is to stream all the games.

I love MLB Network, they don't talk politics and the commercials aren't that annoying.  I love most of the shows, (Christopher Russo is a loudmouth)

Things should pick up next week with the winter meetings in Orlando being featured.  They don't show old games unless it's the day after (like the World Series).  But they do show a multitude of different baseball movies.

Dee Gordon was traded to the Mariners and will play CF.

He and 1 Million in International Signing pool money was sent to the Mariners for a bunch of prospects.  Mariners will take on the rest of Gordon's contract $38 million.

This will make the Mariners have $3.577 million in bonus pool money just ahead of the Rangers.

The prospects are :  RHP Nick Neidert,Robert Dugger and Christopher Torres

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

The YES Network plays old games all the time.  Just sayin’.

The postseason awards series they did on MLBN were a lot of fun because everyone seemed like they were enjoying themselves.

MASN shows old games of the Nationals and Orioles also, as does the FOX affiliated sports stations for the Marlins and the Rays.

Giancarlo yaaassssss.  You know New York will be good for you and your brand, if you want to have one.

Although to be honest I have no idea what position he even plays but I’m thinking it’s outfield and we’re set there so he can be the DH and everyone’s heads would explode.

19 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

MASN shows old games of the Nationals and Orioles also, as does the FOX affiliated sports stations for the Marlins and the Rays.

And I happened to tune in a few weeks ago for the last 2 innings of my birthday game...the one we won with a walk-off Machado Grand Slam.  So I now have the best part for posterity!  I need to watch more carefully at some point to see if we're on camera since I sprung for good seats that night.

• Love 2

So, the possibility of Stanton in a Yankee uni; rumors of some possible blockbuster with Orioles for Machado in exchange for a boat load of prospects including Gleybar Torres, Sheffield and maybe Clint Frazier. That is a difficult thing to comprehend. I don't want Stanton because his contract is too big and too long, even though he has an opt out for 2020, I think. DH for sure but I can't see them taking him. I don't know. 

A Crisis of Faith....Yankees faith. I hope Cashman knows exactly what he's doing..

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20171208&content_id=263120528&oid=36019

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-afford-giancarlo-stanton-unloading-contracts-article-1.3686616

Edited by prican58

Giancarlo appears to wear his uni shirt like Matt Holliday. I am not all about that.

If he’s heading to the Bronx, can someone official PLEASE report post-haste who the Yanks are giving up?  It’s rude to keep that info under wraps.

I’ve heard a different rumor that Torres and Clint Frazier are not part of any deals being made so far.

Update...noooooooooooo it’s Starlin.

Edited by mojoween

Stanton trade for the Mets.

Downside: They look like chumps letting the bigger local team get him, though they probably want to save their money for their prized pitchers, should they throw for several months without an arm falling off. Perhaps they'd get into the damn MRI when asked, Syndergaard.

Upside: Number of games against the Marlins: 19. Number of games against the Yankees: 6. That's two more than I figured, but it's still less of a hurt Giancarlo can put on the team.

I turn on the PC and get the shock of my post 2017 season life! What ? I am not really happy about Stanton. Yes, he will improve the lineup yadda yadda yadda. But I can't get over the NYYs taking on this money after all the talk about not taking on huge contrcts. 

I am a bit impressed by how much we didn't have to give up even though I feel bad for Starlin. He must be devastated. Going to miss him and DiDi together. Shit. Gary Denbo knows the Yanks' farm system so the guys they got are prob fairly good. Of course if their main goal was getting rid of Stanton's contract then they would prob say yes to anyone. Sorry for the bold type. It just happened by accident but I can't figure out how to reverse it. Any suggestions?

Edited by kariyaki
De-bolded paragraph

I repect that, theatremouse. Still, I hope the Marlins send him to another team. But didn't the Marlins have a point in the season where they were actually good? Maybe they can do some things if they trade Starlin for good minor leaguers. I have no idea. I just want Starlin to go a team that has some hope.

I just know Starlin was very happy here. Mi Papi pequeno (Little Papi). 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Yes!  They can trade Star to the Mets, then the Mets can trade him right back to the Yankees!

I think a lot of his inconsistency was that he was hurt a lot last year.  He’s a good bat and a good glove too.

Agree. I'll miss him. 

Ohtani mania in Orange County. There was a lot of traffic going to Angels Stadium today and realized it was because they opened the  press conference to the public. I'm excited to see what he can do. Hope he's not a bust and caves under the pressure.