• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, roamyn said:

So let's play Sportswriter.

Who gets the hardware?

AL:  

MVP- Altuve, Houston

ROY- Judge, Yankees

CY- Kluber, Indians

MGR- As much as I'd love to give it to Terry for the way he got the team refocused, and managing all those expectations & emotions during The Streak, MOY has to go to Paul Molitor of the Twins.

NL:

MVP- Stanton, Marlins

ROY- Bellinger, Dodgers

CY- Scherzer, Nationals

MGR- Lovulla, Diamondbacks

NL:
Blackmon, Rockies
ROY- Bellinger
Cy - Don't know yet
MGR: Bud Black, Rockies

12 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I'm going to be in the DC area for work this week and I'm not flying home until Saturday, and lo and behold the Nats are hosting the Cubbies Friday night.  Could I possibly make it to the game if tickets are available and not outrageously priced?  Believe it or not I've never been to a post season baseball game.

I was thinking about trying to score a ticket, but I'm not sure I'm up for a huge crowd at Nats Park.  Hope you go - there's nothing quite as fun as post-season baseball!!

If you don't, we could get drink and/or dinner (Friday, or another night if you're free and bored...)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

NL:
Blackmon, Rockies
ROY- Bellinger
Cy - Don't know yet
MGR: Bud Black, Rockies

I thought abt Bud Black, but I think Troy deserves it slightly more.  This is the toughest award IMO, w/NL CY also being very tough.

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

AL:  

MGR- As much as I'd love to give it to Terry for the way he got the team refocused, and managing all those expectations & emotions during The Streak, MOY has to go to Paul Molitor of the Twins.

Not that I'm playing favorites or anything, but I think AJ Hinch is a strong contender for AL manager.

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Not that I'm playing favorites or anything, but I think AJ Hinch is a strong contender for AL manager.

But Molitor got his team to go from a 100 loss season to the Playoffs the next.

Not only is it impressive, but it's never been done before.  Plus, he's Paul Molitor.  I think his status as a beloved former player will also make points w/the voters.

• Love 1

But since Severino only pitched 1/3 of an inning, do u think Joe will start him Thursday?  He has the best record against the Indians.

Bauer, Tito?!  Fucking Bauer to start?!  !#:#!#;;#!:  I have no faith in him, good season or not.

East coast bias alert!  But I'm not very excited about tonight's game.  

I know almost less than zero about either of these teams.  Basically the extent of my knowledge is knowing that a Rockie is the batting champ and they've had that distinction for half of the team's existence. Oh also they are in the same division.

After the Ys got the lead, I was left to just hoping the game would go past midnight. (Because it's my birthday, and I wanted a win for a present.)

According to some rumors this morning, it seems Severino was tipping his pitches. He's gonna watch some video to correct. Which cheers me up, because thinking he had the yips/nerves was making me uneasy in the extreme. And it also reinforces how smart it was for Girardi to pull him so quickly. Although Girardi claims he wasn't hitting his spots, so take all of this fwiw.

I agree that Molitor should get MOY. On the shallow side, he isn't aging well. He looks like he came to the game after being interrupted from a chemical peel.

Robertson was adorable in his on-field interview: "I just ran out of gas!" Aww, honey! I wish somebody had asked him how he felt when he drilled Sanchez in the junk, but a girl can't have everything (the booth provided the replay, which I for one appreciated.).

Never doubt the capitalists: Getcher Thumbs Down shirts here.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

I ended up at the game (bought a ticket two hours before first pitch) and it was a blast! I am a Giants fan and a Yankee fan so this was actually the second Wild Card game in two years that I've attended and it was kind of crazy how different they were! Last year Bumgarner & Syndergaard went deep, hardly allowing hits and three runs came at the very end. This time, the game started out with three runs for each team and the pitchers didn't go deep at all! 

So happy that David Robertson came home. I was ecstatic for he and Chad that they were able come in and settle the ship and give Joe solid innings and the bats a chance to put the game away. I actually cried a little during Didi's homer because it was just SO big, tying the game up so quickly and I just love Didi! Judge hitting a homer in his first postseason game was a must! And keeping things from getting too stressful in the end was greatly appreciated (even if it literally took multiple days to do so).

Keep rolling, Yanks! I'm so happy for this bunch that they are going deeper into the postseason. They are so fun and are doing so well and deserve this! 

And shoutout to the Twins too! They had an amazing season and I'm such a mom fan at these games, even when I really want a team to win, I hope the other team has something to be proud of and something to give their fans to cheer for during the game and the Twins certainly did that. They'll be back! 

Edited by rippleintime17
  • Love 5

Yankees fans, please say a big THANK YOU to the White Sox for trading Robertson and Kahnle to you.  I wish you all good luck in Cleveland.  And by good luck, I mean bad luck.  I'm a Cubs fan saying "Go Indians" and I hate doing that but I hate the Yankees so very much.

Also, Gary Sanchez incident above -- couldn't happen to a more deserving guy!

• Love 2

If you watched/listened to today's coverage, you would never be able to guess that the Twins played last night. Yes, the winners deserve to be mentioned more, but Gary Sanchez's junk got more coverage than all of the Twins.

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

If you watched/listened to today's coverage, you would never be able to guess that the Twins played last night. Yes, the winners deserve to be mentioned more, but Gary Sanchez's junk got more coverage than all of the Twins.

That's because they're the Yankees and the media just cannot shut up about them, ever, while the Twins are from some dumb Midwestern city that no one cares about.  As a resident of another dumb Midwestern city that no one cares about (Cleveland), I fully expect the media to fawn all over the Yankees' every fart in the next series, too.  Even if the Indians win the ALCS, the story will be all about the Yankees and their many, many amazing young players and Aaron Judge is the second coming of Mickey Mantle and that the entire nation is ever so excited to watch these Yankees come back next season and win it all!  It's been like that for decades now, it's not changing; teams on the coasts, especially the Yankees, always get a tonguebath, no matter what they do, no matter what their opponents do.  It was ever thus.

• Love 4

I like Ernie's voice. And Ron is, er, darling.

I also  continue to hate the sound mixing ESPN does. Crowd's too loud, announcers drowned out. If I put the volume up to hear the commentary,  the crowd noise makes me anxious. So it's nice this game is on TBS.

Yesterday's and today's WC games make Bumgarner look like an even more extraordinary pitcher than he already is known as, having pitched 2 complete WC games in '14 and '16 (both were shut-outs). #isit2018yet? Hope he stays away from dirt bikes during the off-season. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Yesterday's and today's WC games make Bumgarner look like an even more extraordinary pitcher than he already is known as, having pitched 2 complete WC games in '14 and '16 (both were shut-outs). #isit2018yet? Hope he stays away from dirt bikes during the off-season. 

Stat of the day: MadBum pitched more innings in last year's WC game than all four starting pitchers combined.

• Love 5

Welp. I think I'm past the initial sadness of my boys losing. I just want CarGo back in purple pinstripes.

Also F the Dbacks if they cheated.

My rooting interests now are Tribe/Astros>Nats>Dodgers>Dbacks>Yankees>RedSox.

Edited by catrox14
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ohhhhh nooooooo...today is exactly 10 years since the midges.

You better NOT, Cleveland.

Joba has a strange sense of humor to choose that anniversary to announce his retirement. ETA It looks like reporters were seeking him out about midgegate and he just took the opportunity to tell them he was retired.

The Yankees really fucked up with that plan to convert him into a starter during the season.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ohhhhh nooooooo...today is exactly 10 years since the midges.

You better NOT, Cleveland.

Bring on the Midges!

2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Hell yeah, that was a great game for the Astros. Altuve hit 3 effing homers!

That is amazing! Then again, Chris Sales hasn't been pitching well, either.

• Love 1

You owe Tito an apology for doubting his pitching decision!  Heh.

I am obviously rooting hard for the Yankees to win but let's be honest.  The Yanks JUST got swept by Cleveland.  So if it happens again, or the bats stay sleeping against the Indians pitching, I so hope the narrative doesn't become "well this is a young team and the moment got to them." No.  Cleveland already PROVED they are the more dominant team.

All I can do is hope the extra rest gets to Kluber.

• Love 2

Yeah, my hope for the Yankees was that they would win the Wild Card game, the young guys would get a taste of the postseason and give themselves a chance to face Cleveland and possibly advance. Cleveland definitely has the upper hand in this series. I'm hoping that CC can hold things together well enough today to give the bats a chance against Kluber (though Kluber is going to have to help a little by not being his dominant self as well for this to work) but if they don't manage to tie the series up, at least they head home with a chance to win on Sunday and who knows. The best thing about postseason baseball is that you never really know what's gonna happen! 

Hey guys, did you know that Jose Altuve of the Astros is SHORT ?!!  There was not an announcer on radio or TV that did not mention this every.five.minutes.  I was so happy that he hit THREE HOMERS and, elsewhere, Baby Huey Judge struck out at least that many times.  MVP Al-tu-ve !

• Love 2

So what do you think of the name Jose AlTHREEve?  You know, because he hit more than "tu."

That's not my joke, I stole that from Mike & Mike.

My newspaper is so stupid.  "Cleveland blanks Yanks."  Shut up.

• Love 1

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

What happened to the Klubot?!

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

You owe Tito an apology for doubting his pitching decision!  Heh.

I am obviously rooting hard for the Yankees to win but let's be honest.  The Yanks JUST got swept by Cleveland.  So if it happens again, or the bats stay sleeping against the Indians pitching, I so hope the narrative doesn't become "well this is a young team and the moment got to them." No.  Cleveland already PROVED they are the more dominant team.

All I can do is hope the extra rest gets to Kluber.

And I think YOU owe the Skankees an apology.  LOL  Not really laughing.  I'm crying.

2 minutes ago, attica said:

Um, the camera behind home plate for the Indians v Yankees game is giving me a brand new appreciation for umpire Dan Iassogna 's um, callipygianness.

OMG I had to google that word. Thank you for expanding my vocabulary today! LOL

• Love 1