Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Yeah, this is one of those years where the Wild Card #2 is not adding to the game at all. Both the Yankees and the Diamondbacks have handedly taken the first Wild Card spot and in the old format would be going right to the Division Series but now they have to play a one game playoff against teams who aren't that close to their records and nowhere close to the division leaders. I'm not complaining, exactly, as one of my favorite teams won the World Series having gotten into the playoffs as Wild Card #2 but... at least that was a tighter WC race!

• Love 1

25 is absolutely not too young for a 43 year old so Aaron Judge is my baseball BF and my hubby doesn't care.  

I love this whole team top to bottom please don't disappoint me.  Perhaps Tanaka should be moved to the 'pen?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Judge hit HR number 50 today.  Even as a Yankee hater, I can't see him losing the MVP.

I can. He'll get Rookie of the Year, but that Houston guy should get MVP (I can never remember his name).

I'm glad Judge beat McGwire's 'record'.  Every aspect of his game is in doubt IMHO.

• Love 1

Ahh you said a nice thing about a Yankee!  Aaron Judge is MAGIC. (I'm going to ignore the man behind the curtain saying "it's not because of Judge it's because of McGwire's shady past...")

I swear I feel like Renee Zellweger in "Jerry Maguire" - "I love him, Laurel.  I...love him!"  Every time 99 is at bat I stop what I'm going to watch.  #49 nearly went into the Judge's Chambers which amused me.

I don't know what Joe is doing with the rotation, I just hope Sevy is going to pitch the play-in game.

Watching the highlights on line of today's NYY game and I just noticed just how damned adorable Judge is. He is so low key and rather shy on camera. Who agrees? You need not be a Yankee fan. 

http://web.yesnetwork.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=1849416683&topic_id=5869378&c_id=yesnetwork

I don't know what's going to happen to this team...they could lose the playoff game. They lost that game this week with the Jays so I know it's possible. And with my anxiety over the status of my people in Puerto Rico the baseball doesn't seem so important. But really, I would so love them to go to the next round.

• Love 2

Tomorrow morning I'm flying to Louisville for work and when I visited this same client last June I was so excited about visiting the Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum that I completely forgot to visit Churchill Downs, so that's first on my agenda after I land.  I'm staying in the same hotel as last time and I recall that they carry the Reds baseball network so I'll still get a baseball fix while away even if it's a team I have no interest in.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I can. He'll get Rookie of the Year, but that Houston guy should get MVP (I can never remember his name).

Altuve, yes. If the people who pick the MVPs can crawl out of Mike Trout's ass and pick the deserving candidate this year. I'm still kind of peeved that Trout got it last year, Altuve had the better numbers. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I watched that game on the Rays network.  Poor Chris Archer, so cute but so ineffective.

I almost felt bad for him out there because he's so cute.  Almost... 

I did say to my friend that if the baseball thing doesn't work out for him, he's got the TV thing to fall back on.  I think he's been pretty good on the post-season shows he's done.

• Love 2

I just noticed just how damned adorable Judge is. He is so low key and rather shy on camera. Who agrees?

I judge him to be adorable!  He has a very sweet, genuine smile.  People seem to want to compare him to Jeter, but I find Aaron the much more appealing personality.

And completely agree about the Archer cuteness too.

• Love 1

Aaron seems like a nice guy, I agree. I have this impossible dream of the Yankees overtaking Boston in the standings. They're 4 games back, and Boston has a 4 game series against Houston to end the season. So it's possible, if unlikely.

Yesterday, Aaron Judge tied and broke Mark McGwire's rookie home run record. Meanwhile, Travis d'Araund hits a homer, and the big apple doesn't pop out of the hat, leading to derivise chanting from Mets fans. #OnlyTheMets

• Love 2

I'm not a Mets fan but I'm not a hater,either. That said, I really wish they had won the WS vs KC because David Wright deserved to be on a Champ team. He is such a good guy, a loyal Met and a hell of  player. It hurts to see him just keeping on with the struggles to get healthy again. Mets fans should cherish him. He's been called the Mets' Jeter but I say no. A leader? Yes, big time. But he's a nicer guy than Jeter, I would say. I hope the Mets can cobble together a decent team in '18 and that Wright can somehow stay with the team the entire season.

Cleo,  I'm with you. I can see Astros going to town on BoSox and the Yanks winning four in a row. Unlikely but anything can happen.

Sorry but I wish McGwire would just not talk about Judge. I don't want AJ being linked in any way with him. I don't hold any grudge or have a chip on my shoulder about his cheating but still.....

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20170926&content_id=256215474&oid=36019

• Love 3
3 hours ago, prican58 said:

Sorry but I wish McGwire would just not talk about Judge. I don't want AJ being linked in any way with him. I don't hold any grudge or have a chip on my shoulder about his cheating but still.....

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20170926&content_id=256215474&oid=36019

I agree.  Judge seems like a good young man.  Please don't lump the two together.

Just like, in my heart, Maris still holds the HR record (unless Judge passes it).

• Love 1

The ump crew at last night's Yankees/Rays game tossed a fan!  Said person was sitting behind home plate, and was shouting out pitch placement in Spanish, while Gary Sanchez was at the plate. According to reports, his shouts were accurate. Both managers were supportive of the move (which they'd have to be, at least in public). After play resumed, Sanchez got a bloop single.

And the Yanks clinched home field of the wild-card game, if that's what they end up getting. They still have an elimination number of 3 with 5 games left for the division.

6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

I was out and about yesterday and ESPN was on a TV without the sound, but they were obviously trying to prove that Chris Sale should be the AL MVP.  That's ridiculous, he isn't even going to win the Cy Young.

Esp aft yesterday.

But u have to remember this is ESPN.  They kiss NY & BOS behinds.

Even most BOS fans agree that Kluber has overtaken & distanced himself from Sale for the Cy.

I've taken Ronald Torreyes as my baseball boyfriend this year.  He's teeny (comparatively, anyway) and adorable. I heard somebody mispronounce his name to rhyme with 'four eyes', and it stuck in my head. It's a big deal! I don't think I've even had a baseball boyfriend since Tony Clark in 2004.  I feel ready. :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, attica said:

I've taken Ronald Torreyes as my baseball boyfriend this year.  He's teeny (comparatively, anyway) and adorable. I heard somebody mispronounce his name to rhyme with 'four eyes', and it stuck in my head. It's a big deal! I don't think I've even had a baseball boyfriend since Tony Clark in 2004.  I feel ready. :)

Plus Ronald's dugout interviews he does with Didi could not be more adorable.

My last baseball boyfriend before The Judge was A-Rod.  

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

So the Yankees are 3 games back of the RS with 3 games to go. So the Ys can't win the division outright, but they could end up tied. Which would be awful! They'd have to play one game against the RS to tie-break for the division.  (David Cone agitated last night that the head-to-head season record should be the tie breaker, but it's not, so...) If they lost that, they'd have to do the WC play-in game. If they won that, they'd be down to their third starter for the ALDS game 1. If they win the tie-break they'd be down to their second starter for Game 1, which is the same scenario, starter-wise, if they just get the WC and win the play-in. Tension!!! 

I thought the Yankees had home field in the Wild Card game. Cut to every Mets fan: "You're going to play at home. Okay. Good luck with that." Right now, the only suspense is whether Terry Collins would be deceased when his pyre is lit.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I thought the Yankees had home field in the Wild Card game.

They will, if they don't win the division. Otherwise, the RedSox will have it. I think if there's a tie-break game, the Y's will host, based on head-to-head record.

I blame Cleveland for the midges.  

Last year's WS was torture because I wanted them both to lose.  However, by the ninth inning of game seven, I had come around on wanting Cleveland to be the victor.  But it was just a one time thing.

• Love 1

Pete Mackanin is not being retained as Phillies manager next year. I was surprised because they gave him an extension in May when they were playing terribly but the turned it around the second half and were showing a lot of promise. By promise I mean in June we were on track to lose more than 100 games and OneNote only will we not lose a 100 games,  we probably wont even be the worse team in baseball. It kind of came out of nowhere.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

Pete Mackanin is not being retained as Phillies manager next year. I was surprised because they gave him an extension in May when they were playing terribly but the turned it around the second half and were showing a lot of promise. By promise I mean in June we were on track to lose more than 100 games and OneNote only will we not lose a 100 games,  we probably wont even be the worse team in baseball. It kind of came out of nowhere.

Only thing I can think of is that they heard whispers that some team was interested in Dusty Wathan (their AAA manager) and that’s why they did it, to promote him, and Klentak gets his guy.

I like Dusty but I don’t know who could’ve done a ton with what Pete had.....

15 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Only thing I can think of is that they heard whispers that some team was interested in Dusty Wathan (their AAA manager) and that’s why they did it, to promote him, and Klentak gets his guy.

I like Dusty but I don’t know who could’ve done a ton with what Pete had.....

I think you're right.  One thing about Dusty ,assuming thats what is going on,is most of these guys have played for  him in Reading and/or Leheigh Valley. They have a good young core and i am excited about next season .

• Love 2

I have to agree with David Wright, anonymously kicking Terry Collins in the press when he's halfway out the door is pretty cowardly. 

(Unfortunately, I think it's the last notable thing Wright will do as a Met.)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I hope the Dodgers falter so the AL can swoop in and get home-field for the WS.

Or is that determined by the two teams who get there, and not the records for everyone on the last day of the regular season?

It's determined by the best record of the two teams playing.

For example as of this morning, if the Dodgers win they the LCS, they have home field.  Ditto the Indians. The Dodgers have WS home field, and hold the tiebreaker with the Indians.

If the Dodgers falter before the Series & the Indians don't, then they have the home field.  

If both falter, then it goes to the team with the next best record.

The Rockies and the Twins will not have home field unless both meet in the Series.

If the teams that meet in the Series have a tie record and neither met during the season, then it goes to the team whose League had the best interlealgue record, which this year is the National.

7 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Andrew Romine played all nine positions tonight for the Tigers.  He made the first out in left field and the last out at first base.  Only the fifth player to play every position. 

I think he's only the 5th player to play every podition in the same game!

Good thing MLB got rid of Albert Spaulding's suggestion/trial of wearing a different uniform for every position!  ( that was in the late 1800s when they tried it)

On 9/30/2017 at 4:49 AM, roamyn said:

The Astros have now won 100 games.

For the first time in over 10 years three teams have won 100+

So Far:  

Dodgers, 102

Indians, 101

Astros, 100

If the Yankees had not imploded after the All Star break they could possibly have gotten 100. 9 more wins. Oh well.

mojoween, I just don't want Yanks to be terrible on Tues. Losing a hard fought battle is something I can live with but bad play is not. Go Yanks! 

Edited by prican58
  • Love 3

And in an ending fit for the 2017 Giants' season, Pablo Sandoval hit the game-winning walk-off HR in the last game of the year. Which moved us to #2 draft pick. Damn you Pablo!! Even when we win, we lose. 

Anyway, hope the Dbacks kick the Rockies' ass in the WC. I find Dbacks fans to be much less annoying than Rockies fans. Mostly because i don't know anyone who is a Dbacks fan. Also I'd like to see a head-to-head between Greinke and Kershaw. 

I don't really care what happens on the AL side. 

Duck the fodgers and fuck the cubs. 

Maybe the Astros can win it, it'd be uplifting for Houston. Kind of how Boston's 2013 win didn't feel so bad considering what their city went through. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Anyway, hope the Dbacks kick the Rockies' ass in the WC. I find Dbacks fans to be much less annoying than Rockies fans. Mostly because i don't know anyone who is a Dbacks fan. Also I'd like to see a head-to-head between Greinke and Kershaw. 

I don't really care what happens on the AL side. 

This Rockies fan has a sad :(.  Oh well.

I'm going to be in the DC area for work this week and I'm not flying home until Saturday, and lo and behold the Nats are hosting the Cubbies Friday night.  Could I possibly make it to the game if tickets are available and not outrageously priced?  Believe it or not I've never been to a post season baseball game.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

It's seven o'clock and there's no baseball! :(

So let's play Sportswriter.

Who gets the hardware?

AL:  

MVP- Altuve, Houston

ROY- Judge, Yankees

CY- Kluber, Indians

MGR- As much as I'd love to give it to Terry for the way he got the team refocused, and managing all those expectations & emotions during The Streak, MOY has to go to Paul Molitor of the Twins.

NL:

MVP- Stanton, Marlins

ROY- Bellinger, Dodgers

CY- Scherzer, Nationals

MGR- Lovulla, Diamondbacks