Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

No worries, I'm from Cleveland, we've learned to enjoy the good times when they happen.  Sure, the World Series would be frosting on this very delicious cake; but, this streak, in and of itself is very special and we are enjoying the h*ll out of it. 

More than that....it's FUN!

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm not hating for the sake of hating . . . but I remember reading about an Indians team that broke the Yankees' five-year stranglehold on the American League, winning 111 games, a record that would stand for decades. And then they got swept by the Giants in the World Series. "Stay cautious, my friends," is basically what I'm saying.

True.  And I'd like to see them lose aft 22, but every year a WS champion is crowned.

Only three times in 100 years has a team won more than 20 games in a row.

• Love 1

Cleveland! Im so excited you guys broke the 20 game win streak. I was keeping watch while my class was working today! I wish Twitter would let you guys expand the team's Twitter handle to the correct number of W's. 

Meanwhile, the Brewer's are going to host Miami this weekend instead of the Crew going down there. Im going to try to get tickets for Friday and Sunday. I dont get why they are only opening the lower level Friday night, I think they're definitely going to pack us in with everything that's going on with the Crew.

• Love 2

Rhys Hoskins continues his ridiculous start he hit his 17th homerun in his 33rd game. He has 4 more rbis than he has game played. 

http://mlb.mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20170913&content_id=254123440&vkey=news_phi&c_id=phi

Whats even more impressive is that he didnt hit his 1st hr until his 5th game and missed one game after being hit in his hand the game before.  He his hitting .301 after not even having a hit until his 4th game.

For a little perspective..

It took Ryhs 21 less games to reach those milestones and he has got way less national coverage than Judge has.

I know he cant possibly keep up with this pace (at this pace he would have like 80+ homers in a full season) but he has been ridiculously fun to watch .

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Cleveland! Im so excited you guys broke the 20 game win streak. I was keeping watch while my class was working today! I wish Twitter would let you guys expand the team's Twitter handle to the correct number of W's. 

Meanwhile, the Brewer's are going to host Miami this weekend instead of the Crew going down there. Im going to try to get tickets for Friday and Sunday. I dont get why they are only opening the lower level Friday night, I think they're definitely going to pack us in with everything that's going on with the Crew.

30,000 tix sold in 45 minutes...1916 NY Giants have a 27 game unbeaten streak so imo Indians and Cubs are tied for first all-time with 21 straight conquests as of now

Edited by ketchuplover
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, ketchuplover said:

30,000 tix sold in 45 minutes...1916 NY Giants have a 27 game unbeaten streak so imo Indians and Cubs are tied for first all-time with 21 straight conquests as of now

Yep, the Giants' streak includes some tie games, so its not a true winning streak. I'm going tonight, hoping to see #22!

• Love 1

I'm glad that the Marlins president asked that they play in Milwaukee this weekend, but then again you never know if the players home are w/o power down there.  Let the players have comfort (sort of) in a hotel room with AC instead of having to go home to no AC. (not fun)

4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Yep, the Giants' streak includes some tie games, so its not a true winning streak. I'm going tonight, hoping to see #22!

Have fun!

Think of me.  Maybe I'll be able to come up for the WS if we make it again.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ketchuplover said:

I bought tickets for both Friday and Sunday. I cannot WAIT to go and watch. Apparently, Brewers dont have enough staff to do the upper sections of the stadium, which is why they only opened the lowers. I was still kinda surprised they didnt prepare for it.

I hope Miami fans were able to get seats.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Twenty two in a walk off?!?  Wow.  Just wow.  I love my Tribe!

I'm having a hard time now deciding who my best love is:  Lindor or Omar.

I think I still have to stick w/Omar, as I have several autographs he signed for me, and I got to see him live in three different stadiums.

God Bless the men who pulled the trigger on the Jay Bruce acquisition!

• Love 1

For the first few years of his major league play, I could not for the life of me remember Jose Rameriz's name.  With his batting helmet on* and that baby face, I thought of Tony Gwynn and called him Tony Gwynn, Jr. for years.  I love that he plays like Tony and seems to be as nice a guy!

*When the helmet is off and you see his dyed hair, the resemblance goes away quickly!

• Love 1

The first time I saw him I asked if he was related to Tony, although I thought Jr wasn't in the mlb.  After that I called him jr because he looks like the spitting image of sr. (as long as his hair is covered).   If he is down in the count I call him jr just for luck; I have good percentages on that!

27 minutes ago, roamyn said:

@doodlebug must've had a blast!

I'll bet he/she won't sleep much 2nite.

She just got home and it was a wild night!  The crowd was going crazy, it reminded me of the playoffs.  This one was a real nail biter, too.  The cops directing traffic were high 5'ing us as we crossed the street.  Cleveland Rocks!

Thanks to the Mets for Jay Bruce, the gift that keeps on giving.  He's been a terrific addition to the team both on the field and off.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 5

What a run! My only regret is that I couldn't make it to #22 in person. I did get to see numbers 2 (though I didn't know they'd just keep winning at the time), 18, 19, and 21 at the Jake though, so I think I'll survive. The atmosphere this whole week was electric and I can only imagine the thrill of being there on Thursday night.

Part of me was hoping it would end soon though. I was worried dealing with streak pressure before the post season would start to wear out the team when they should soon start resting some players.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, InsertWordHere said:

What a run! My only regret is that I couldn't make it to #22 in person. I did get to see numbers 2 (though I didn't know they'd just keep winning at the time), 18, 19, and 21 at the Jake though, so I think I'll survive. The atmosphere this whole week was electric and I can only imagine the thrill of being there on Thursday night.

Part of me was hoping it would end soon though. I was worried dealing with streak pressure before the post season would start to wear out the team when they should soon start resting some players.

How exciting that you were there, too!

And while I wanted them to win #23, I didn't want it to go further.  They don't need to break the controversial 1916 streak.  They own the modern day record.  This was fun - something I think MLB needed even w/the crazy wild card races.  Even non-fans got caught up in it.  I've read many a post/tweet/article say that the Indians have become America's Team with all the infectious joy, fun, and talent they have.

New fans for the sport are always a good thing.

Now let's bring home that Championship!

• Love 3

Indians clinched the Central yesterday.  Like there was any doubt.  We just need to hold the lead over Houston for home field.

Oh, and I don't want to face the Yankees, so I hope they lose the Wild Card - if they even make it.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Giancarlo Stanton and Matt Olson of the A's are the only two players in the last 30 years to have at least 20 home runs in both the minors and the majors in the same year.

Wow...that's impressive!  Is he up for Rookie of the Year?

I was watching the Yankee game yesterday and even remarked that Todd Frazier's foul ball went screaming off his bat pretty damn fast.  Watching all of the player's reactions was tough.

I've only been to one game so I can't really comment, but would extended nets ruin the entire game experience?

How far do the nets go around Yankee stadium? I've seen three levels.

1. Behind the home plate area
  2. Behind the home plate area + to where the dugouts end (Minute Maid upgraded to this just this season)
  3. Behind the home plate area + to where the dugouts end + almost to the foul poles (I think just Citi Field has this level)

I wouldn't say the nets ruin the experience, although I do try to pick my seat where the nets won't be in my way. If it is in my way, I eventually get used to it. I do think if you're going to sit that close, nets or not, you need to pay attention -- put the phone down! And don't take really small children.

• Love 3

I seldom get to sit close enough where I have  little warning for foul balls, but the times I have, I've happily spent more to get behind the nets. Once my seat was just at the edge of the net line and I fretted the whole game through. 

• Love 1

I don't get why people bring really small children- more bc it is boring for them, at a certain age.

I also watched a game a couple weeks ago and a couple brought an infant less than a week old. The announcers thought it was great. I was kind of appalled.

• Love 3

I get why people bring small children. Kids that little, parents are fairly trapped in the house with them and you don't have to pay for an extra ticket if they're under two, so I don't begrudge people the opportunity to get out once in awhile. But they should sit away from the danger zones. 

10 hours ago, mojoween said:

I've only been to one game so I can't really comment, but would extended nets ruin the entire game experience?

My understanding is the netting rules in Japan extend nets way farther than any MLB stadium. If it hasn't ruined the Japanese baseball experience, I doubt it'll ruin the current US baseball experience. Plus, the seats that currently have netting are generally considered the best given they're right behind the plate (at minimum), so unless there is some additional disruption to the view caused by netting when viewing from a slightly different angle, we probably already know the netting isn't a major hindrance to view.

The league need more netting. Kids and cell phones aside, it's an easy way to reduce the possible danger from sitting close to the action. The seats behind the dugouts are closer to home plate than where the 2B and SS typically stand. I've sat that close and have little doubt a ball like last night would eat my uncoordinated self  up. Even if I were paying close attention.

Plus, nobody can catch a stray bat. Well, nobody except for this guy. . .

030217_mets_bat_catch_med_qe24cg3l.gif

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Plus, nobody can catch a stray bat. Well, nobody except for this guy. . .

I have a friend who is a freelance photographer.  She used to shoot a lot of NY Met games at Shea/Citi as well as some road games in the region.  She was in the photographers' well shooting the Mets in Philly, and was hit by a bat that the batter lost hold of.  It hit her hand that was on the camera lens, breaking a finger.  I don't think you could have been paying more attention to the action, and yet she got hit.  You don't need to be careless for it to happen to you.

• Love 3

Surely a netting company can make a better, more viewer-friendly net and sell it to MLB,.  Acme Corporation, official netting provider to Major League Baseball.   Then, teams and sponsors can offer free balls to customers who miss the "experience" of catching a foul ball.  Like now, when Fred's Bank offers a t-shirt or Gus' Food Store offers a tote bag.

I got hit with a puck at a college hockey game and ended up with a fractured collarbone.  A few months after that, I went to a minor league baseball game, with seats beyond the netting.  I was nervous as soon as the first foul ball came within 100 feet of me.  I could not relax at all. I have not sat in seats that were not behind the netting since.

The hockey rink I was at has netting all the way around the ice now.  People still can see the game fine.

• Love 2

So Jeter is apparently starting to clean house by firing all of the Marlins' special assistants.

Derek Jeter doesn’t even own the Marlins yet, but he already has informed the team that he plans to fire two special assistants who are in Baseball’s Hall of Fame (Andre Dawson and Tony Perez), the manager who led them to the 2003 World Series championship (Jack McKeon) and the player known as Mr. Marlin (Jeff Conine), according to two MLB sources.

And here’s the twist: Jeter asked Marlins president David Samson to fire those four Marlins luminaries for him, because Jeter didn’t want to do it.

This seems like a big misstep for a guy I thought was pretty PR savvy. The fact that he made someone else do his dirty work before he even owns the team is pretty unseemly. Did he think this wasn't going to get out? Why start out by firing people who are just ambassadors for the franchise? (Something he clearly knows because George Steinbrenner elevated everybody to special assistant.)

• Love 4
9 hours ago, xaxat said:

So Jeter is apparently starting to clean house by firing all of the Marlins' special assistants.

This seems like a big misstep for a guy I thought was pretty PR savvy. The fact that he made someone else do his dirty work before he even owns the team is pretty unseemly. Did he think this wasn't going to get out? Why start out by firing people who are just ambassadors for the franchise? (Something he clearly knows because George Steinbrenner elevated everybody to special assistant.)

I agree with him on firing Conine, the man was too overly gleeful in 15 when Bryce and the Marlins 2nd baseman (not Dee) legs got tangled when the 2nd baseman decided he needed to be in Bryce's running lane.  He was just too gleeful because he thought it stopped Bryce's run at the batting title (which granted he lost anyway).

On 9/23/2017 at 9:08 AM, xaxat said:

I understand the desire to clean house, but what a coward to demand the outgoing President of Operations do his dirty work.

So the Dodgers finally clinched the NL West.  Does that make the NL Central the only division not decided?  Oh, and the AL East.

Honestly, the NL Central should be required to forfeit their automatic entry into the playoffs this year, no team deserves it!  I'm pretty sure my Cubs will take it, the elimination number for the Cards/Brewers is 2.  And, even though at the beginning of the season, I did not expect the Cubs to repeat (and still don't), my goodness, I did not expect this frustrating, frustrating season. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, pennben said:

Honestly, the NL Central should be required to forfeit their automatic entry into the playoffs this year, no team deserves it!  I'm pretty sure my Cubs will take it, the elimination number for the Cards/Brewers is 2.  And, even though at the beginning of the season, I did not expect the Cubs to repeat (and still don't), my goodness, I did not expect this frustrating, frustrating season. 

This is opposed to two years ago, where the division was run by the league's top three teams. But thanks to the playoff system, only one could make the NLCS, and the Cubs (third place, five games better than the Dodgers) got swept by the Mets. I mean, I am not complaining, and Mets fans needed something to root for, but I think 1-3/2-WC works should happen if the best team and the wild card are from the same division. I can see how that could be a logistical problem, though, since we have a wild card play-in game.