Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

There's a chance (weather permitting here in FL) that I will be in the Oakland/East Bay area for work next week so of course I immediately checked the A's schedule but they're on the road.  The Giants are at home against the Dodgers and I would love to see that matchup but from a logistical standpoint I don't know if it's doable, dammit.

Woo Machado! I will take it.

That 20 game Dodger lead has dwindled to 11. The D-Backs look good and don't look like they are slowing down. Typical Dodger slump, and I'm enjoying every second of it.

• Love 1

Stealing signals, feh.  That's how the Giants won the pennant (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! I'm talking about THAT pennant) in 1951 against the Dodgers.  The Giants had a telescope (!) in center field that allowed them to steal signals.

https://www.amazon.com/Echoing-Green-Untold-Thomson-Branca/dp/0375421548/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Stealing signals, feh.  That's how the Giants won the pennant (THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! I'm talking about THAT pennant) in 1951 against the Dodgers.  The Giants had a telescope (!) in center field that allowed them to steal signals.

Yeah, I'm not all that scandalized by it either. Not to mention, I've seen other teams' coaches tapping away at Apple watches in the dugout. I really doubt the Red Sox were the only ones to think of it.

• Love 2

It's not stealing signs that they are in trouble with, it's using electronic devices in the dugout which is illegal. Just because they are the Red Sox they shouldn't get a pass. The rules are the rules and they should be penalized. Judging by how New England teams are rewarded by doing something illegal, they will likely win the WS this year after the Pats won the SB last season. 

• Love 5

Adam Jones and I are from two different universes and therefore our love just could never be.  That doesn't make my swooning any less when I heard Michael Kay tell a story yesterday that unprompted, Adam went into Buck Showalters's office and asked Buck to talk to him about Stick because Adam knew Buck was sad.

*hearteyes*

• Love 8
9 hours ago, attica said:

Didn't the bard have a thing to say about this? I seem to remember something from 8th grade English...

For never was a story contravene, than this of Adam Jones and his mojoween.

That is beautiful and brought a tear to my eye...

• Love 3

16 Baby!  First time in over 10 years a winning streak has been that long.

Miller's starting practice pitches, Kipnis is getting ready to start taking pitches, Encarcion is s beast, even Bauer is pitching well.  Only weak link is Salazar's ups & downs. 

Even better:  the Dodgers & Cubs are faltering.  The Dodgers, badly.

GO TRIBE!

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I'm really really looking forward to Cleveland beating Boston in the post season. 

*quiet whisper* I like the Dodgers, primarily started watching bc of Kershaw but I have grown to like the team. Can't believe the losing streak, but I did think they had too many games without much competition and would pay for it.

• Love 1

The Rockies running Kershaw and Darvish in succession gave me life. Those wins were huge for the Rockies who are still ahead in the WC race with Milwaukee. I really dislike the DBacks but I will laugh my ass off if they manage to take the division out from under the Dodgers. And as long as the Rockies win the 2nd WC.

29 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The Rockies running Kershaw and Darvish in succession gave me life. Those wins were huge for the Rockies who are still ahead in the WC race with Milwaukee. I really dislike the DBacks but I will laugh my ass off if they manage to take the division out from under the Dodgers. And as long as the Rockies win the 2nd WC.

Nope sorry.  Nice try, tho.  ?

One Cavs championship does not erase the heartache of TWO 7th game extra inning WS games in 20 years.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Nope sorry.  Nice try, tho.  ?

One Cavs championship does not erase the heartache of TWO 7th game extra inning WS games in 20 years.

Sorry? I don't understand. You mean the Dodtgers won't be overtaken? That's probably true but I will still laugh if it does.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

Sorry? I don't understand. You mean the Dodtgers won't be overtaken? That's probably true but I will still laugh if it does.

I was talking abt the comment "And as long as the Rockies win the 2nd WC."

Sorry, I should have cut the quote.

36 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I was talking abt the comment "And as long as the Rockies win the 2nd WC."

Sorry, I should have cut the quote.

I feel stupid. I'm legitimately not following you here.

You don't think the Rockies will hold onto the 2nd WC?  

Question: will the Yankees staff be going to Citi Field for their series with the Rays? Or would operations be handled by the Mets' people? "Once again, we remind you to treat Citi Field as you would your home. Then again, I bet you probably leave garbage everywhere, spray-paint '1986' on random surfaces, and generally act like assholes. Oh, and if you wear a replica jersey with the player's name on the back? You are not a real Yankees fan."

On 5/7/2016 at 1:00 PM, smittykins said:

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to Aaron Judge making the big leagues, if only to see if John Sterling uses "Here comes the Judge!" as his home-run call.

Randomly spelunking through the thread. Has Sterling done that this year? I think he would.

1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I feel stupid. I'm legitimately not following you here.

You don't think the Rockies will hold onto the 2nd WC?  

Ahhh....I thought you mean WC as World Championship!  <smacks forehead>

Geez...I'm sorry for all the confusion.  

But no, I actually don't think they will do that either.

6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Ahhh....I thought you mean WC as World Championship!  <smacks forehead>

Geez...I'm sorry for all the confusion.  

But no, I actually don't think they will do that either.

LOL. I was very confused because the Rockies have never won the WS. So I couldn't figure out what the WS had to with the WC and the Cavs. 

LOL It's all good. It will be an interesting race!

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Question: will the Yankees staff be going to Citi Field for their series with the Rays? Or would operations be handled by the Mets' people? "Once again, we remind you to treat Citi Field as you would your home. Then again, I bet you probably leave garbage everywhere, spray-paint '1986' on random surfaces, and generally act like assholes. Oh, and if you wear a replica jersey with the player's name on the back? You are not a real Yankees fan."

Randomly spelunking through the thread. Has Sterling done that this year? I think he would.

He has, at least a few times.(And when Judge homered in his first AB last year.)

18 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

Heeeeey-O. It's been quite the weekend for us Brewer fans. Come on boys, keep striking while that iron is Hooooooooooooooot!

Brewers making it interesting - who would have thought they would be this close on Sept. 10?  Not many, including diehard Crew fans.  Future looking interesting for Milwaukee. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Brewers making it interesting - who would have thought they would be this close on Sept. 10?  Not many, including diehard Crew fans.  Future looking interesting for Milwaukee. 

I'll just take a Cubbie sweep. 

I hope September is about to get REAL interesting for us Brewer fans. 

• Love 1

How many sweeps were there this weekend?  Is it a record?

Indians swept the Os to make it 18 with the Tigers due in town starting 2morrow.  And they now hold a 1 game lead (plus tie breaker) over the Astros.

• Love 3

Before I turn in: does anybody know what the average attendance of a Mets game? I'm curious because Yanks/Rays drew 15,327, according to ESPN.com. Also: since this is supposed to be the Rays' home, is the crowd encouraged to root for them? Or is treated as a neutral site, even though the Rays get last licks in all three games?

19 wins & counting!  Maybe that could be a new reality show.  These Indians are sure more fun to watch than the dreary Duggars.

We have more home runs than our opponents have runs, during this streak.  38HR to 32 runs allowed.  Wow!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

19 wins & counting!  Maybe that could be a new reality show.  These Indians are sure more fun to watch than the dreary Duggars.

We have more home runs than our opponents have runs, during this streak.  38HR to 32 runs allowed.  Wow!

On their way to another WS appearance. Tito deserves it and maybe this time he will win it.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The only joy I have left in this season is watching the Dodgers' tailspin.  It's too bad they had such a cushion.  It also helps that it was the Giants who defeated them yesterday, after a three hour rain delay.

I watched until 1:30am and then passed out. But it was such pleasant news in the morning when I checked the score! Every dodgers' loss is sweet sweet joy, and even sweeter when it's against the Giants. Thank you SI for putting them on the cover! Please do it every year! :D

• Love 2
On 9/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, Lantern7 said:

Before I turn in: does anybody know what the average attendance of a Mets game? I'm curious because Yanks/Rays drew 15,327, according to ESPN.com. Also: since this is supposed to be the Rays' home, is the crowd encouraged to root for them? Or is treated as a neutral site, even though the Rays get last licks in all three games?

I went to the game on Monday. It was not a neutral game. Also, only the lower bowl was open, not the upper decks, but it was very full. I believe they opened up more seats for last night's game. The tickets were only $25 no matter where you were, so a lot of Yankee fans were probably in the best seats they ever will be for a Yankee game! 

4 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

When were the Dodgers on the cover, was it last week?  I still have yet to receive that issue as the last one I received was the, to me, boring useless NFL preview issue which I never read and just give to a friend.

It was the Aug 28th issue: https://www.si.com/more-sports/photo/2017/02/27/sports-illustrated-2017-covers 

Also, Kershaw makes the best GIFs with his facial reactions to HRs. 

• Love 1

Do you know how tough it is to sit in a meeting at ur new job, checking scoreboard on ur phone and not erupting w/fist bumps (or swears at errors)?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Twitter can't handle all the Ws.  It literally told the Indians handle it was at capacity.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, roamyn said:

Do you know how tough it is to sit in a meeting at ur new job, checking scoreboard on ur phone and not erupting w/fist bumps (or swears at errors)?

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Twitter can't handle all the Ws.  It literally told the Indians handle it was at capacity.

Since I couldn't play hooky from work today, I had my radio tuned to Tom Hamilton and the guys all afternoon, turned up loud enough so I could hear if something happened while I was down the hall.  Going to be there tomorrow, though!!

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1

I'm not hating for the sake of hating . . . but I remember reading about an Indians team that broke the Yankees' five-year stranglehold on the American League, winning 111 games, a record that would stand for decades. And then they got swept by the Giants in the World Series. "Stay cautious, my friends," is basically what I'm saying.

• Love 4
Just now, Lantern7 said:

I'm not hating for the sake of hating . . . but I remember reading about an Indians team that broke the Yankees' five-year stranglehold on the American League, winning 111 games, a record that would stand for decades. And then they got swept by the Giants in the World Series. "Stay cautious, my friends," is basically what I'm saying.

No worries, I'm from Cleveland, we've learned to enjoy the good times when they happen.  Sure, the World Series would be frosting on this very delicious cake; but, this streak, in and of itself is very special and we are enjoying the h*ll out of it. 

• Love 2