Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

There's a pic of Joy if you scroll through. At least her top isn't clinging to her.

She's got to make damn sure that everyone remembers that she's pregnant!  The bump doesn't look nearly as large with that loose fitting top.

On December 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Poor baby looks very unfortunate. Davia managed to grow out of it, so hopefully, this little does, too.

It's their mouths that are so unattractive.  I don't know who they inherited that mouth from, but it is quite unfortunate.

6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

A good look at the bridesmaids dress featuring Carlin and Fundie Zoolander.

All the Bates girls are attractive, but Carlin is really stunning. I’ve always wondered why we’ve never seen a Bates-Duggar courtship. It’s not like there haven’t been age-appropriate matchups and on a surface level the families look compatable (Gothard families with tv shows an a zillion kids). I know Erin and Alyssa both landed husbands that were way better than a Duggar guy, but Bobby and the guy that Carlin is courting seem like tools. At least the Duggars have income, and the twins aren’t bad looking. Anyone have any theories or scoop about this?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

OMG, I just got a good look at Bobby's hair. What on God's green earth is that poof in front about? I can't say I've ever seen that before, not even on James Dean. 

That style is in; his is just so poorly done.  If you look at Lawson's hair, that is the look he was going for.

Edited by luvbadtv
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

As her Maid/Matron of honor. Or in Tori's case, one of each. 

Here's a pic that shows the train at the altar. 

9D698C77-C635-4851-97C8-BDC729DEFD0F.jpeg.846cdea13a0ce9caa0c89b86aca2bbbf.jpeg

Is this a picture from a fundy place of worship?  If so, what a tacky garish setting.

• Love 1

I love the colors she chose. Nice for a winter wedding without being typical. She looked beautiful as did the bridesmaids. 

@mynextmistake I have a few theories about the lack of Bates/Duggar courtships but mainly because Josh is poison in the Gothard Cirles and MANY MANY Gothard families don’t want to be associated with the molestation scandal. I personally don’t think any of the other boys are potential molestors or assholes like Josh, but in these circles your family is everything (even in the mainstream world people are quick to judge someone based on what their relatives did). I think that’s hurting the boys from pursuing courtships. Joe and Kendra seem to really like each other AND Kendra’s Dad was able to observe Joe “up close” and conclude he was nothing like Josh before he gave the “ok” for the courtship. 

Edited by Scarlett45
Milestone and molester are separate words-Auto correct
  • Love 10

I like Tori's dress, makeup and the purple flowers, but I'm not feeling the hair. The braid is a little too "country casual" for such a sparkly dress and I find the ringlet tendrils to be a tad dated. She has such a beautiful face I think a sleek updo would've been a much better look. 

Fundie Zoolander creeps me out. What the hell is Carlin doing with this guy?

• Love 1

I want to give Tori a high five just for avoiding traditional red and green Christmas colors. She chose unique shades of purple that look absolutely gorgeous.

From the People article:

Tori walked down the aisle to Christina Perri’s “A Thousand Years,” which was a break from the family’s conservative choices as they usually tend towards more traditional music choices.

Interesting...I wonder if she's a closet Twilight fan.

• Love 3

Are the dresses mauve, purple or something in between? I'm not fond of Tori's dress, but her bouquet is beautiful. Of all the wedding 'sets' we've seen recently this Winter Wonderland is far better. I'm guessing Michelle's friend was kind enough not to help out the Bates family.

• Love 1

I didnt recognise Tori, her make up is weird. I do like the colours but why are the men's trousers several miles too long? And didn't she state that she did not want to get married until she graduates? Could that pushy Mother of hers not wait??

I keep marvelling at how casual those people show up to a wedding. It's so disrespectful. This is all they ever aspire to, yet a lot of them can't be bothered to dress up. No sign of crazy Jill Rodders and her starving brood?

Don't care for the boyfriends of the other two girls. Both are immature and show offs and I don't like Kelton's pudgy face. Shallow, I know. But the immaturity is so damn obvious. They are also very alike in looks.

• Love 7

I see Erin must have styled Tori's hair.  Way too overly done.  Why can't these girls ever go with a lovely updo?

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Sew Sumi said:

There's a pic of Joy if you scroll through. At least her top isn't clinging to her.

And Joy looks much less pregnant in that pick.  She was probably standing more upright next to a Bates girl.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, Sew Sumi said:

OMG, I just got a good look at Bobby's hair. What on God's green earth is that poof in front about? I can't say I've ever seen that before, not even on James Dean. 

I suspect his hair is to add three inches of height.  

8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Are the dresses mauve, purple or something in between? I'm not fond of Tori's dress, but her bouquet is beautiful. Of all the wedding 'sets' we've seen recently this Winter Wonderland is far better. I'm guessing Michelle's friend was kind enough not to help out the Bates family.

I don't care for her dress either.  Usually the Bates girls are more body conscious, and the dress is either too loose, or doesn't quite work as a slip dress.  It makes her look a little more thick, to use a lovely country expression, than she's ever looked.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I like Tori's dress, makeup and the purple flowers, but I'm not feeling the hair. The braid is a little too "country casual" for such a sparkly dress and I find the ringlet tendrils to be a tad dated. She has such a beautiful face I think a sleek updo would've been a much better look. 

Fundie Zoolander creeps me out. What the hell is Carlin doing with this guy?

Agreed on Tori's hair.  The curley-Q tendrils are dated, and since the silly little braid is very trendy, it will soon look dated as well.  I really think Erin must have influenced this overly tortured and fussy styling.

• Love 2

He has a handsome face but already has the fundy pudge. Not visible in a suit, but we've seen the start of the gut -- esp visible when he was sitting there in basketball shorts and a t shirt talking to Gil about getting permission to propose.

Overall the wedding looks nice, but screams "budget" which I'm sure it is. The dresses are nice, but why didn't the guys get their suits tailored? I don't think I've ever a man in a suit with 6 inches of pant sitting on his shoes. Didn't look closely enough, so I don't know if this was true of all the groomsmen -- but in any case, at least hem the groom's pants since people will be looking at him?? Frankly where was Michaela -- isn't this kind of thing her job? I normally love Christmas weddings, but theirs just screams "cheap." You want Christmas trees with lights -- awesome. Must you use lights with white strings that's visible from miles away - is that just what Gil had in that shed of his? They make lights with dark strings/wiring specifically so it blends with evergreens and from a distance you can only see the lights, not the strings. And then they just had too much other random stuff on stage/thru the church. The wall of lights they tried to make behind them was way too small given how big the stage was and how many people were on it -- either make it much much wider, or don't have it. The weird lamp post behind Gil?? The random dead (and spray painted white) or plastic tree branches through the church - what was that supposed to be?? I don't understand why fundies think if a bit of cheap décor is good, more is better. Didn't anyone ever tell them less is more? This time of the year, every church is filled with poinsettias (or the bride/groom can provide them), wreaths, and a Christmas tree. You don't really need much else for décor. That's what Zach and Whitney's wedding looked like and it was classy looking. Of course Whitney was willing to roll with it and IIRC their colors were red/white, as Zach wore a red vest. I can see Bobby and Tori having a LOT more opinion on everything, regardless of the fact that they don't have money or professions other than the job Gil made up for his son in law. 

2 minutes ago, cereality said:

He has a handsome face but already has the fundy pudge. Not visible in a suit, but we've seen the start of the gut -- esp visible when he was sitting there in basketball shorts and a t shirt talking to Gil about getting permission to propose.

Overall the wedding looks nice, but screams "budget" which I'm sure it is. The dresses are nice, but why didn't the guys get their suits tailored? I don't think I've ever a man in a suit with 6 inches of pant sitting on his shoes. Didn't look closely enough, so I don't know if this was true of all the groomsmen -- but in any case, at least hem the groom's pants since people will be looking at him?? Frankly where was Michaela -- isn't this kind of thing her job? I normally love Christmas weddings, but theirs just screams "cheap." You want Christmas trees with lights -- awesome. Must you use lights with white strings that's visible from miles away - is that just what Gil had in that shed of his? They make lights with dark strings/wiring specifically so it blends with evergreens and from a distance you can only see the lights, not the strings. And then they just had too much other random stuff on stage/thru the church. The wall of lights they tried to make behind them was way too small given how big the stage was and how many people were on it -- either make it much much wider, or don't have it. The weird lamp post behind Gil?? The random dead (and spray painted white) or plastic tree branches through the church - what was that supposed to be?? I don't understand why fundies think if a bit of cheap décor is good, more is better. Didn't anyone ever tell them less is more? This time of the year, every church is filled with poinsettias (or the bride/groom can provide them), wreaths, and a Christmas tree. You don't really need much else for décor. That's what Zach and Whitney's wedding looked like and it was classy looking. Of course Whitney was willing to roll with it and IIRC their colors were red/white, as Zach wore a red vest. I can see Bobby and Tori having a LOT more opinion on everything, regardless of the fact that they don't have money or professions other than the job Gil made up for his son in law. 

Just went back and looked -- yep -- they saved on alterations for all the guys. You can definitely see Trace, Evan, Lawson, and Kelton's pants were too long -- so I suspect it was all of them. Classy.

The Bates will make an announcement tonight. Whitney has a slight bump, so maybe a pregnancy announcement. It could also be that Carlin started courting. I don't want to speculate too much but Michael is looking at bit round in the face too, but maybe it's just me seeing things.

20171219_165728.jpg.af1034df402c94098d2461400556d7f6.jpgScreenshot_20171219-164426-665x654.thumb.jpg.538743614a82a4446542855a711d2c47.jpg

Whatever happened to that TLC crew member who took a liking to the Duggars? Mr. Jim or something? I vaguely remember him bringing his daughters to their house a couple of times.

Edited by charmed1
23 minutes ago, Lunera said:

The Bates will make an announcement tonight. Whitney has a slight bump, so maybe a pregnancy announcement. It could also be that Carlin started courting. I don't want to speculate too much but Michael is looking at bit round in the face too, but maybe it's just me seeing things.

20171219_165728.jpg.af1034df402c94098d2461400556d7f6.jpgScreenshot_20171219-164426-665x654.thumb.jpg.538743614a82a4446542855a711d2c47.jpg

Isn't Carlin already courting Evan or no? I'm guessing it's time for Zach to have baby #3. He got married within weeks of Erin and like a yr ahead of Alyssa and both of them have announced #3. What does it say about his ability to make babies if he isn't in the competition for #3?!

In these pictures I see a group of beautiful girls who looked like they bathed and washed their hair for the occasion. Their make-up is impeccable, and their hair clean, shiny and stylish. The flower girls are adorable and attention has been given to their hair and outfits. Yes, the pants are too long, but the guys look clean and groomed. It doesn't look like any of them walked up the aisle in dirty or bare feet. 

I'm not a fan of either family or their religious beliefs,  but the Bateses seem to encourage their children to be more independent. All of the married couples are self sufficient. And, unlike the Duggars, the Bateses seem to genuinely love their children. I would doubt very much if we will ever see a Bates/ Duggar wedding. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No real announcements from the Bateses other than pimping out Lawson's single and the new season of the show. That was it. 

Thanks, just checked. No real announcement. Whitney still looks pretty pregnant though.

On 12/17/2017 at 2:09 PM, riverblue22 said:

I just can't see Carlin with that guy.

I don't see it either. She could do so much better. He seems too full of himself not humble.

Michaela looks fuller and I hope she is pregnant. Out  of all those girls, I just want God to give her a child or two or 20. They will be well loved and taken care of .

• Love 6
On 12/18/2017 at 8:04 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

I want to give Tori a high five just for avoiding traditional red and green Christmas colors. She chose unique shades of purple that look absolutely gorgeous.

From the People article:

Interesting...I wonder if she's a closet Twilight fan.

I bet she is a Twilight fan as her hair is styled exactly as Bella Swan's was for her wedding to Edward in Breaking Dawn, which is also the movie the song "A Thousand Years" comes from.

• Love 3

My niece had that song as her recessional. I bawled like a baby before I gave her endless crap about it.  She was 29 at the time and a well educated, well employed  young professional.  Could the Bates kids watch or read the garbage that was Twilight? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, kalamac said:

I've never read Twilight, but I believe part of the story was that Edward wouldn't have sex with Bella until they were married, so it's probably on their approved list just for that.

Edward also wanted to wait until after Bella was a vampire so he didn't break her. Instead, he had sex with her while she was still human, so she got pregnant with a half vampire baby who sucked the life force out of Bella and had to be delivered via Edward BITING the baby out of Bella like a super fucked up C-section. Twilight also included the part where the werewolf part of the love triangle "imprinted" (obsessed love at first sight) on Bella's infant daughter. 

So, totally appropriate Christian fiction. 

Also, if you go into the Twilight movies, especially the last two, with the idea that they're comedies, they're hilarious. 

• Love 23

Why would...?  Never mind, I know it's probably useless to ask and OT to boot; but I do want to know... why would the baby be half vampire?  Surely Edward isn't a vampire on the genetic level, is he?  He was a human when he was alive, no?  I just don't see how that makes any sense.  How would an "undead" entity change its genetic cellular makeup?

• Love 5

I do not know if I am remembering correctly, but I thought Tori did not have much interest in planning her wedding when the possibility of an engagement was brought up. I feel like I remember the girls getting their nails done or something on Bringing up Bates when this conversation took place. I could be wrong though. 

5 hours ago, queenanne said:

Why would...?  Never mind, I know it's probably useless to ask and OT to boot; but I do want to know... why would the baby be half vampire?  Surely Edward isn't a vampire on the genetic level, is he?  He was a human when he was alive, no?  I just don't see how that makes any sense.  How would an "undead" entity change its genetic cellular makeup?

Before I toodle off to the Prayer Closet with some vacation wine... In Twilight genetics, vampires have an extra pair of chromosomes so Edward and co. are secretly either Chimpanzees or potatoes (I think arguments could be made for both, really). 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, questionfear said:

Edward also wanted to wait until after Bella was a vampire so he didn't break her. Instead, he had sex with her while she was still human, so she got pregnant with a half vampire baby who sucked the life force out of Bella and had to be delivered via Edward BITING the baby out of Bella like a super fucked up C-section. Twilight also included the part where the werewolf part of the love triangle "imprinted" (obsessed love at first sight) on Bella's infant daughter. 

So, totally appropriate Christian fiction. 

Also, if you go into the Twilight movies, especially the last two, with the idea that they're comedies, they're hilarious. 

Did he not own a knife or a pair of scissors that he could have used rather than his teeth? WTF Twilight‽

Back on topic, why do they keep buying dresses that they need to add bits to in order to meet their modesty standards, when there are plenty of ready made ones, that already have the sleeves and whatnot, so they don't end up with something that looks shoddily made.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, kalamac said:

Did he not own a knife or a pair of scissors that he could have used rather than his teeth? WTF Twilight‽

No, because gestating the baby was killing Bella. He had to simultaneously deliver his daughter while turning his wife into a vampire because that was the only way to save his wife from death, so he was doing double duty. (No worries, after she's turned into a vampire she can heal her wounds so in the end she's fine.)

"A Thousand Years" is a pretty popular wedding song now, so I'm sure it was more about being on trend and not with liking Twilight. My friend actually used it as her first dance song when she got married a year ago, but her now-husband picked it. She likes the song so she agreed, but she did warn him that people would know it as "the song from Twilight". He hasn't seen Twilight and didn't care, so that was their first dance song.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kalamac said:

Back on topic, why do they keep buying dresses that they need to add bits to in order to meet their modesty standards, when there are plenty of ready made ones, that already have the sleeves and whatnot, so they don't end up with something that looks shoddily made.

I wondered this as well. I loved Jessa's wedding dress. It was by far my favorite wedding dress that was worn at a fundie wedding and something I would actually wear. Her dress was not pieced together, was it? Having a non-strapless dress seems pretty trendy these days, so I would think they could find something that was not all pieced together. Also, Jessa's dress was more short sleeves, so I am curious why the girls need long or 3/4 length sleeves unless that is a personal preference. There are plenty of of dresses with sleeves around that do not need to be 50 different dresses in one. I think Tori's dress is on the better end of the adding material to dresses look. It is a low bar though.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I wondered this as well. I loved Jessa's wedding dress. It was by far my favorite wedding dress that was worn at a fundie wedding and something I would actually wear. Her dress was not pieced together, was it? Having a non-strapless dress seems pretty trendy these days, so I would think they could find something that was not all pieced together. Also, Jessa's dress was more short sleeves, so I am curious why the girls need long or 3/4 length sleeves unless that is a personal preference. There are plenty of of dresses with sleeves around that do not need to be 50 different dresses in one. I think Tori's dress is on the better end of the adding material to dresses look. It is a low bar though.

Jessa’s dress was very beautiful- Jinger’s was too, but Jessa’s was more my style. 

The adding of modesty panels screams “look at me” rather than you know actually buying a dress that’s already within their modesty standards. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

The adding of modesty panels screams “look at me” rather than you know actually buying a dress that’s already within their modesty standards. 

I'm in my 30s and had a mastectomy without reconstruction a few years ago, so I need high necklines comparable to Duggar modest standards. I can tell you it is ridiculously hard to find tops, especially on a tight budget. You wouldn't think it is this hard, but scoop necks and v necks rule the day. I frequently wear a cami for more coverage.

However, dresses are completely different. There are an abundance of options, even in the normal, run of the mill stores. I bought a dress online from Old Navy this fall, and I could have bought almost any dress. Or think of the 50s style dress, which typically every store has at least one in that style, is the perfect silhouette for modest dressing. 

I can cut the Duggars some slack on choosing the "make it work" option for every day clothes, but there is no reason they need to be spending extra money to create these piecemeal dresses. There are PLENTY of dresses with modest silhouettes in regular stores, not to mention stores that even cater to making modest dresses.

Long story long, yes, they are being obvious about clothing their daughters in modest clothing in this heathen world.

• Love 12
20 hours ago, queenanne said:

Because the whole thing is a super duper twisted metaphor for Mormons? 

• Love 7

Weren't they already courting? I guess this means perhaps another wedding this summer for the Bates. 

I honestly don't know what's the rush when they'll just end up pregnant immediately. They'll get to enjoy maybe 1-3 months as happy newlyweds before they shift into expectant parent mode. They are both still incredibly immature.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Weren't they already courting? I guess this means perhaps another wedding this summer for the Bates. 

I honestly don't know what's the rush when they'll just end up pregnant immediately. They'll get to enjoy maybe 1-3 months as happy newlyweds before they shift into expectant parent mode. They are both still incredibly immature.

I'm guessing that is the point. I mean, how are Gil and Kelly gonna beat JB and M in the hundreds-of-grandbabies derby if their kids don't get cracking as fast as possible? Hnh? 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Ahhh the matchy matchy outfits scream we are on the road to marriage.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 10:19 PM, McManda said:

No, because gestating the baby was killing Bella. He had to simultaneously deliver his daughter while turning his wife into a vampire because that was the only way to save his wife from death, so he was doing double duty. (No worries, after she's turned into a vampire she can heal her wounds so in the end she's fine.)

"A Thousand Years" is a pretty popular wedding song now, so I'm sure it was more about being on trend and not with liking Twilight. My friend actually used it as her first dance song when she got married a year ago, but her now-husband picked it. She likes the song so she agreed, but she did warn him that people would know it as "the song from Twilight". He hasn't seen Twilight and didn't care, so that was their first dance song.

I didn't know he bit out the baby, but I do know that the author refused to give vampire teeth to her vampires.  Sounds like Edward had a difficult task using human teeth - blech.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:02 AM, kalamac said:

I've never read Twilight, but I believe part of the story was that Edward wouldn't have sex with Bella until they were married, so it's probably on their approved list just for that.

There's also the part where Edward left and Bella took to her chair, and there she stayed passively.  So submission, yay!

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:59 PM, Misslindsey said:

I thought Jessa's dress was beautiful, but I think she was a little more selfish than her siblings, in that she blew a wad on that dress and left little of the budget for the rest.  Weren't they eating ice cream out in the church parking lot, in cold temperature?

• Love 3