Type keyword(s) to search

Sweet Fellowship: Duggars and Friends (aka the Bates Family and Other Featured Families Thread)

Message added by Scarlett45

If a person/family was never featured on any of the Duggar shows, and is not related to the Duggar family by blood or marriage, they do not need to be discussed here..

The Politics Policy is still in effect. A participants social media is NOT an invitation to discuss their political view points. Consider if discussion of certain social media posts will cause you to violate the politics policy BEFORE you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

We may all agree that David Rodriques is quite unfortunate looking, but let's refrain from comparing human beings to apes, its got way too much of a loaded history- please review the new Inclusion Policy updated May 1, 2022 , which details guidelines around discussing body type, capabilities, physical appearance etc. Additionally, using body size as an insult is not allowed.

• Start Topic

I have found that when a person has never worked a job for pay, they really don't understand the value of a dollar OR what it is like to COME HOME FROM THAT JOB tired and drained from the day. This, my friends is Erin Bates Paine. She has no real idea about money and she bats her eyes at her husband and wants him to continue 'working' when he comes home. Let's remember that she is home all day and doesn't really have a job. Making music CDs is something she loves to do and it's not work for her. She also doesn't do it 40 hours a week, every week month after month.

• Love 22
On December 26, 2017 at 9:37 AM, flyingdi said:

UO: I don't see what is so unattractive about Carlin's boyfriend.  He looks okay to me.

Same.

On December 26, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Looks fine to me as well. Not anything I'd squee over, but well within average parameters, and closer to attractive than ugly as far as 

I can see.

And more same.

Especially when compared with other Fundie guys (the Duggar brothers, the Bontranger brothers, David Waller & his brothers, etc) Carlin's boyfriend is pretty darn good-looking. I think that in the Fundie dating world, he'd definitely be considered hot. Same for Lawson Bates or Ben Seewald. They may be a little more than average in looks to a lot of people, but compared to the husband pickings in Fundie-land, Carlin's boyfriend and Lawson are HOT. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I have found that when a person has never worked a job for pay, they really don't understand the value of a dollar OR what it is like to COME HOME FROM THAT JOB tired and drained from the day. This, my friends is Erin Bates Paine. She has no real idea about money and she bats her eyes at her husband and wants him to continue 'working' when he comes home. Let's remember that she is home all day and doesn't really have a job. Making music CDs is something she loves to do and it's not work for her. She also doesn't do it 40 hours a week, every week month after month.

Yep. I was thinking this too. Erin makes CDs and at various times gives piano lessons -- which is no different than probably how she taught some of the younger siblings to play piano. Way different than when you've worked a 9-5 or shift job -- you have to get up and go to work whether you feel like it or not; you have deadlines - whether you're in the mood or not; sometimes bosses are unreasonable; sometimes you're tired and have to slog thru. Erin never experienced any of this. In contrast Alyssa did -- she was working at a florist pre-marriage. Not suggesting it was a high powered corporate job, but she knows what it's like to have to get stuff done, whether you feel like it or not. So I can imagine her having more understanding with John if there are days where he just wants to come home, put the girls to bed, and sit on the couch; she's probably not asking him to do renovations around the house etc. I seem to think Michael is probably similar to Alyssa in that regard. They don't have kids yet so it's "easier" but she was  full time nanny for several years -- and while that was a kid focused job -- it was still more than giving 2 hrs of piano lessons 2 times/wk and having the kids leave. She was probably responsible for taking care of the kids, making them food and maybe even doing a few household tasks for the parents as some nanny gigs involve that -- and most of all, the people who hired you are relying on you to show up daily, whether you feel like it or not.

7 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Same.

And more same.

Especially when compared with other Fundie guys (the Duggar brothers, the Bontranger brothers, David Waller & his brothers, etc) Carlin's boyfriend is pretty darn good-looking. I think that in the Fundie dating world, he'd definitely be considered hot. Same for Lawson Bates or Ben Seewald. They may be a little more than average in looks to a lot of people, but compared to the husband pickings in Fundie-land, Carlin's boyfriend and Lawson are HOT. 

Never thought Evan was unattractive. I think the issue with him (and Bobby) is that they are looking to marry and have 6+ kids each with no marketable skills or education. Bobby will spend a lifetime in made up church jobs for Gil -- so basically living off his father in law's money to support his own family. Evan may end up doing the same since he has a fundie family band or doing some combo of that with minimum wage/office jobs.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

I love you Floridamom, and agree with Erin having no concept of earning money and coming home from work tired and drained to help with 2 young kids, the house, projects etc. However, IMHO, Erin does work - she's a stay at home parent. Its a tough job and she's fortunate to be parenting in an ideal situation, but its tough none the less.

I don't see Erin trotting over to the main house everyday and pawning her kids off to her siblings like Jessa. She seems very involved with her kids, has learned to cook, adores her husband, and as far as we know, she disposes of dirty diapers properly. Just wanted to give props to the stay at home parents out there.

• Love 17
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I love you Floridamom, and agree with Erin having no concept of earning money and coming home from work tired and drained to help with 2 young kids, the house, projects etc. However, IMHO, Erin does work - she's a stay at home parent. Its a tough job and she's fortunate to be parenting in an ideal situation, but its tough none the less.

I don't see Erin trotting over to the main house everyday and pawning her kids off to her siblings like Jessa. She seems very involved with her kids, has learned to cook, adores her husband, and as far as we know, she disposes of dirty diapers properly. Just wanted to give props to the stay at home parents out there.

Yeah, it's work being a SAHM, but not every day is life or death in the consequences, nor are your kids and husband always going to make you feel like every such day is life or death in the consequences.  It's not like a job where other adults can, and in some instances daily do, scream their heads off at you for doing some things wrong, or too slow, or not at all.  SAHMs can prioritize much of their day's tasks in any way or order that they see fit, and especially if their kids aren't overscheduled.  If you want to tell your kid to metaphorically go fly a kite when they want you to do something, it may not be polite, nice or kind, and may result in some messed-up kids down the line; but you can almost certainly-never tell your boss or coworkers to buzz off, you'll get to XYZ when you get to it, even if such "getting to it" takes you a week and they can like it or lump it.  It's also a lot more difficult to outmaneuver your adult coworkers, than it is to do so for a batch of under-fives.

• Love 18
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Can I super respectfully say that being a SAHM is a job? It feels like six full time jobs. It’s thankless and isolating and hard even if you WANT to do it. 

Edited to say: I should have read down, sorry to have piled on. 

Edited by FakeJoshDuggar
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, cereality said:

Now - yes. They lucked out with the first 3 sons in law but they need to keep the marriage train rolling so when obnoxious Tori and Carlin rolled up with unemployed men, it was all good. Gil created a job for Bobby. 

I don't follow the Bateses that closely, but doesn't that match with the steady BUB gig? Eric and Alyssa, I think, got wedding specials on the Duggars' show, and Michael got married during BUB but she and Brandon had been courting before they had the show. Interesting how as soon as they get TV money coming in, the monetary prospects of potential sons-in-law no longer matter. Gil and Kelly got comfortable really quickly. 

• Love 1

I love you guys, too. My post didn't suggest that Erin does nothing all day. Believe me, I have been in all situations. I worked a full time job when single, married with no children, (totaling 11 years ) then stayed at home for 25 years with the children and took care of absolutely EVERYTHING at home; inside and outside as my husband had a demanding career. After those years at home I recently went back in the work force. ...Having said that, those years at home are nothing like working at a job. My daily schedule of housework, child rearing, cooking, laundry, cleaning, shopping,, homework and play dates was a different kind of life experience for me. Even though my 'to do' list was a long one each week, I had complete authority over what I did and how and when I did those chores. You are your own boss at home. (at least this was my experience). Back at work, it is nothing like that. I must leave the house, ready or not, and head off to the job....do what I have to do that day no matter how tired I am or how I feel about it. and YES, there are the bosses and co-workers that you must deal with. Many of these people have authority over you and your stability at that job. You have to give 100% all day, 9 hours long. Erin has no such issues. She is at home. Her husband is NOT at home working as he will. He has a J.O.B. My impression of her from what I'm seeing on TV and reading here is that she has no idea what his life is actually like 9-5. The man might not have a lot of energy that evening OR he may have had real pressure put on him at work. She just doesn't seem to understand that. I don't think she gives him much 'down time' as she's still 'ready to go' after 6pm with HER projects around the house that she needs HIM to do for her. Like I said before, I don't dislike Erin, I think she's immature and inexperienced in life; so at times she behaves like a little girl herself. 

• Love 24
49 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I don't follow the Bateses that closely, but doesn't that match with the steady BUB gig? Eric and Alyssa, I think, got wedding specials on the Duggars' show, and Michael got married during BUB but she and Brandon had been courting before they had the show. Interesting how as soon as they get TV money coming in, the monetary prospects of potential sons-in-law no longer matter. Gil and Kelly got comfortable really quickly. 

I don't know the timing offhand, but this latest crop of sons in law are definitely more of the fundie fame whore variety bc they didn't come into the courtship with any kind of job or skilled trade already in hand. Evan has some kind of family fundie band that probably survives off of love offerings -- he's always previewing songs and hawking CDs on IG. He may see BUB as a nice platform to launch his "music" -- much like Lawson.

• Love 6

Josie's boyfriend is in the family plumbing business, and got a business degree from PCC. Now, I don't know if PCC ever got accredited, but at least it's *something* he can use, likely in a Christian business. If that degree isn't secular, neither will any employer he may have if the plumbing business doesn't sustain the family he's certain to have. Josie claims she can do hair at home, but how easy will that be with toddlers screaming underfoot and it's time to take out a client's foil, lest it turn orange if it stays on too long? 

• Love 2

Darn I didn't even realize a new season of the Bates had started.  I'm going to have to catch up!

Regarding Erin she's always been daddy's sweetheart, the pretty one.  She was like a dream to all of them!

I remember when she was having problems having a child.  I think she's sweet and I think all of Erin's life she's been catered too.

When she married she married a man that would continue the legacy!  Is she spoiled?  Probably.  But she's a Bates doing a tv show and getting paid for it along with small children and a lovely home she manages.  Their doing ok.

Quick story.  When my four children were young I was lucky enough to be a stay at home mom.  After 20 years of being their everything I was amazed to go to work and have an actual lunch hour and two 15 minute breaks!  I thought I was In heaven!

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I love you guys, too. My post didn't suggest that Erin does nothing all day. Believe me, I have been in all situations. I worked a full time job when single, married with no children, (totaling 11 years ) then stayed at home for 25 years with the children and took care of absolutely EVERYTHING at home; inside and outside as my husband had a demanding career. After those years at home I recently went back in the work force. ...Having said that, those years at home are nothing like working at a job. My daily schedule of housework, child rearing, cooking, laundry, cleaning, shopping,, homework and play dates was a different kind of life experience for me. Even though my 'to do' list was a long one each week, I had complete authority over what I did and how and when I did those chores. You are your own boss at home. (at least this was my experience). Back at work, it is nothing like that. I must leave the house, ready or not, and head off to the job....do what I have to do that day no matter how tired I am or how I feel about it. and YES, there are the bosses and co-workers that you must deal with. Many of these people have authority over you and your stability at that job. You have to give 100% all day, 9 hours long. Erin has no such issues. She is at home. Her husband is NOT at home working as he will. He has a J.O.B. My impression of her from what I'm seeing on TV and reading here is that she has no idea what his life is actually like 9-5. The man might not have a lot of energy that evening OR he may have had real pressure put on him at work. She just doesn't seem to understand that. I don't think she gives him much 'down time' as she's still 'ready to go' after 6pm with HER projects around the house that she needs HIM to do for her. Like I said before, I don't dislike Erin, I think she's immature and inexperienced in life; so at times she behaves like a little girl herself. 

I really think that's the crux of it. Chad gets a lot of praise for being such a good husband and doing stuff around the house--and you guys know I'm the last one to criticize women for having husbands who work around house--but I do get that little girl vibe from Erin, and it puts a different spin on that dynamic. It's like...Chad isn't helpful around the house just because that's the type of man he is (though I think he is), or because Erin makes it clear that they both live in that house so they both have to their parts to maintain it, but because she's...well, a princess, and is used to having everything done for her and thinks nothing about how much work it is do those things for her. She seems to really expect life to be a fairytale, and Chad is the type of sweet and easygoing guy that he's willing to keep the fairytale going. Even after the sad experience of her early miscarriages, now that it's all worked out she's back to fantasy land and everything is wonderful. I always remember at her wedding how she want on how part of her is side because the magic of courtship and engagement is over and now it's going to be real life. It was such a weird thing for a bride to say, I thought, and it says a lot about how her mind works. And I don't dislike her, either, but as an extremely pragmatic person I just don't get her, and I wouldn't be able to be around her much if I knew her in real life. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Darn I didn't even realize a new season of the Bates had started.  I'm going to have to catch up!

They just did a marathon of repeats today. The new season starts next week with Carlin's courtship becoming official, although it looks like it was filmed last summer (which is what I recall we all suspected at the time). 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Regarding Erin she's always been daddy's sweetheart, the pretty one.  She was like a dream to all of them!

I remember when she was having problems having a child.  I think she's sweet and I think all of Erin's life she's been catered too.

When she married she married a man that would continue the legacy!  Is she spoiled?  Probably.  But she's a Bates doing a tv show and getting paid for it along with small children and a lovely home she manages.  Their doing ok.

Quick story.  When my four children were young I was lucky enough to be a stay at home mom.  After 20 years of being their everything I was amazed to go to work and have an actual lunch hour and two 15 minute breaks!  I thought I was In heaven!

I was lucky to be a stay-at-home mom as well, and with a husband in the Navy, there were certainly a lot of times that I had to do everything myself for long stretches of time. Still, even with three kids born within five and a half years, I never felt quite as put upon as I did when I was working. I guess we all have different experiences. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, floridamom said:

I wish I could like this 1000 times!   Very well said, @floridamom   

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Link to the Bontrager/Maxhell wedding livestream this Saturday is contained in the blogpost below. This one should be a doozie! 

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.co.at/2017/12/john-chelsys-wedding-livestream.html?m=1

Okay, they're officially the creepiest Fundie couple ever. They both have serial killer eyes. 

I remember seeing pictures from one of the other Maxhell weddings and it actually looked decent (aside from some hideous green bridesmaid dresses). IIRC, they served sandwiches and salad at the reception which was a huge step up from any of the Duggar disasters.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Link to the Bontrager/Maxhell wedding livestream this Saturday is contained in the blogpost below. This one should be a doozie! 

http://bontragersingers.blogspot.co.at/2017/12/john-chelsys-wedding-livestream.html?m=1

One of the comments was from Esther who apparently lives several hours ahead of them time-zone wise (i.e., it would be 10 AM on Sunday her time when it is 2PM CST on Saturday and therefore would air during church for her). I wonder if this is Esther Keller Shrader (as in Anna's sister)?

That sounds like an Asian time difference. I just consulted Mr. Google, and it's only an 8 hour time difference between Iowa and Zambia. They're actually an hour ahead of Moscow. 

eta: Speaking of the Shraders, John's latest FB posts indicate that he could be in some trouble with his evangelicizing. Zambian law only permits non-Zambians to preach in their own church. John has apparently been going out into villages. Not sure what the repurcussions are, but it does seem as if the Zambian government is on to him. I worry for Esther (who's due with her 11th any day) and those poor kids who didn't ask for this life.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

That sounds like an Asian time difference. I just consulted Mr. Google, and it's only an 8 hour time difference between Iowa and Zambia. They're actually an hour ahead of Moscow. 

eta: Speaking of the Shraders, John's latest FB posts indicate that he could be in some trouble with his evangelicizing. Zambian law only permits non-Zambians to preach in their own church. John has apparently been going out into villages. Not sure what the repurcussions are, but it does seem as if the Zambian government is on to him. I worry for Esther (who's due with her 11th any day) and those poor kids who didn't ask for this life.

John's too busy writing poetry to care about what kind of trouble he's getting into with the Zambian government. He even started his own Facebook page.

So much cringe. Much wow.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

OMG, I hadn't seen that. I am already banned from his FB page (have been for years). His poetry is on par with that of the Vogons (RIP Douglas Adams).

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly,

Thy micturations are to me

As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.

Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,

And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,

Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts

With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

(Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

I have to say, I rather prefer the Vogon composition! LOL. "Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts/With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!" cracks me up as much today as it did when I first read it, probably 35 years ago. I love the way it's simultaneously almost pure gibberish, yet so deliciously British. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

His poetry would be improved if he learned to edit and shortened it by two thirds.

Indeed I tried to read it all, but after one poem I couldn't read so many words.

Also note that every.single.poem is written in the same meter with the same rhyme structure. Basically, if you read one, you've read them all. And boy oh boy, he gets prolific when in his manic swings. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

John's too busy writing poetry to care about what kind of trouble he's getting into with the Zambian government. He even started his own Facebook page.

So much cringe. Much wow.

What in the world???????????  Bizarre writings.  I'm sure he thinks he is brilliant. 

This guy makes Derick look very normal. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

His FB page, if you're not banned. I do a flyover at FJ maybe once a week to check in on him and to find out if Esther has whelped yet. Talk about someone who is probably getting sketchy prenatal care...

Well you know my feelings about that place...

Anyway, John isn’t going to be satisfied until Esther drops dead from having so many babies with so little care.  I cannot imagine the squalor they live in now. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sierra had her planned (as per her IG post yesterday) birth earlier today. Not sure if she was induced or c-section, but at least it was at a hospital.

Brooks Zechariah 7 lbs. 11 oz.

I like the name Brooks, but Brooks Dominguez doesn't really flow. I am happy to read she gave birth in a hospital. I wonder if her family is able to qualify for Medicaid? I can't see them having insurance otherwise. 

• Love 2

Having peeked over at John Shrader's page, I have a few things to say. 

•  Not all poems are supposed to rhyme.  Some poems do better without rhyming. 

And as for the "non-Zambians only preach in their churches" rule...Whoever is monitoring that rule is earning their paycheck if they have to watch people like this twerp.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

What in the world???????????  Bizarre writings.  I'm sure he thinks he is brilliant. 

This guy makes Derick look very normal. 

John Shrader is what Derick Dillard may be in 10 years.

Someone should hook them up as prayer partners. It could be a really fucking depressing reality show.

• Love 14

Does anyone know what's going on with Jill R and her baby ? She's facebooking about some undisclosed issue with the baby and I can't decide if something is really wrong or if it's some minor issue she's milking for attention 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, lianau said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Jill R and her baby ? She's facebooking about some undisclosed issue with the baby and I can't decide if something is really wrong or if it's some minor issue she's milking for attention 

It's probably something minor and she's deliberately being vague in the hopes that people assume the worst and send love $$$ offerings $$$.

• Love 7

How far along is she? I know she's known the gender for a few weeks, but you can find that out quite early now. I'm not sure if she sees a real OBGYN given her (supposed) history of miscarriages, or if she just goes the botique ultrasound route. This post makes it appear that she might have been to a real doctor. 

• Love 1
On 12/29/2017 at 1:59 AM, Sew Sumi said:

I've been lurking over at FreeJinger and have seen the various blogs. The happy couple does seem happy when they're together. His father is severe, but hopefully they can avoid him as much as possible. I'm so glad to see a fundie bride who's not a teen! Chelsey is twenty-six, almost twenty-seven. John seems to appreciate her family and bolder personality. They seem well-matched to me (not snark). I wish them happiness in marriage. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

John Shrader is what Derick Dillard may be in 10 years.

Someone should hook them up as prayer partners. It could be a really fucking depressing reality show.

This is probably why no one at the Duggar compound can see that Derick is clearly unhinged. Anna sees this fuckery as normal and probably conveys that to the family. Compared to what Esther deals with, Derick appears comparatively sound.

15 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I have to say, I rather prefer the Vogon composition! LOL. "Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts/With my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!" cracks me up as much today as it did when I first read it, probably 35 years ago. I love the way it's simultaneously almost pure gibberish, yet so deliciously British.

I’m so stealing your turn of phrase. My Brit sensibilities immediately switched on when I read this passage.  I have to say I never read this book ( hangs head in shame) but now I must.  I think this is why Monty Python appealed to me. Those guys as a troupe were so talented.

Though much of what they did was purely nonsensical, they were highly educated and were doing nonsense on purpose. Graham Chapman was a doctor, and most of them went to Oxford or Cambridge. Who would have expected coal miners to argue about Decartes or the binomial theorem?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

I've been lurking over at FreeJinger and have seen the various blogs. The happy couple does seem happy when they're together. His father is severe, but hopefully they can avoid him as much as possible. I'm so glad to see a fundie bride who's not a teen! Chelsey is twenty-six, almost twenty-seven. John seems to appreciate her family and bolder personality. They seem well-matched to me (not snark). I wish them happiness in marriage. 

Stevehovah is a cult in and of himself. He’s a master manipulator and a pathological narcissist. I doubt they get very far from his clutches. 

• Love 5

Why the hell do they have to misspell "Zachariah"? It isn't cute. It makes them look ignorant. 

ETA: Let me clarify. Why do they misspell it in a way that changes the pronunciation?? Someone tell me! LOL. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5