Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Carlavati said they have shows taped through Halloween and he was writing the Christmas episode.  But now that the Olympics have been postponed, the expected two week hiatus won't be there.  Will Days be running the Halloween episode in the middle of October?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Will Days be running the Halloween episode in the middle of October?

After the craziness of the time jump, I don't really think being a few weeks off matters that much. So long as they hit Christmas and New Year's on schedule, I don't think anyone's really going to care.

But it will be interesting to see how this plays out....and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't part of the extension of Days of Our Lives having to do with the fact that their current studio still wasn't being taken over? Wasn't there supposed to be a move to another studio if the show is going to continue? I wonder how the outbreak and then delayed taping might eat into the time that they were hoping they would have to make that adjustment...

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Carlavati said they have shows taped through Halloween and he was writing the Christmas episode.  But now that the Olympics have been postponed, the expected two week hiatus won't be there.  Will Days be running the Halloween episode in the middle of October?

I doubt that anyone will have a gameplan anytime soon.  Everything has happened so quickly and it seems pretty likely that studios in LA are not going to be back in production anytime soon.  

I don't think that NBC cares all that much about syncing up holidays with airdates.  The contract with NBC only allows for X number of episodes and it seems equally unlikely that NBC would hand over more $$$ for 14 additional episodes (11 for Olympics and 3 for French Open).

Back in the Soapnet era, they did a good job presenting encore episodes during the Olympics, with a handful of actors presenting their "favorite episodes". NBC seems to not like "encore" episodes, but by July, we will be well into the launch of PEACOCK, which is allegedly going to house old episodes.  Maybe their opinion on encores of classic episodes will change if the industry remains mostly shut down in 4 months.

The worst possibility is that NBC will just move forward with its plan to make TODAY an all-day show.   An afternoon TODAY hour will seem sorta necessary if the world remains at a standstill in late summer.  Honestly, if states are still in lockdown at that point, then DOOL airdates are even less significant.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Fun question: if they came to you to ask for suggestions about which classic episodes to re-air, which ones would you want to see?

I wish they would just air the classic episodes and not bother with the new episodes(and in the case with the other three soaps air classic episodes and not ones from a few months ago).

I would suggest anything in the 80s but I like to see the 70s storylines with Doug/Julie stuff I never got to see

However since Ron wants to rip off the 90s Days they should just reair the 90s era of the show.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Fun question: if they came to you to ask for suggestions about which classic episodes to re-air, which ones would you want to see?

Oh Wow, I loved all the early Patch/Kayla episodes & loved Adrienne & Justin's love story(poor girl/rich boy).  And Jennifer & Jack adventures.  And the "Cruise of Deception" was exciting.  And I was a fan of early Marlena & John. 

• Love 4

I wonder how NBC will handle airing episodes going forward. With the Summer Olympics now postponed for a year, that is 2 or 3 weeks' worth of episodes not supposed to air for that interim that likely WILL air now. Meaning, if there is a Halloween episode, it would air in late September/early October!

Clearly, the network has to do something.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I wonder how NBC will handle airing episodes going forward. With the Summer Olympics now postponed for a year, that is 2 or 3 weeks' worth of episodes not supposed to air for that interim that likely WILL air now. Meaning, if there is a Halloween episode, it would air in late September/early October!

It was announced that it's up to Days to air episodes in those slots, and it's anywhere from 10-13 episodes depending on if the French Open happens at some point this fall (they're currently aiming for late September, but there are obviously no guarantees). It was pointed out by Jason47 that they likely don't have the budget to produce 10-13 new episodes, so it may make more sense for them to air replays instead. I think the flashback week from January would be a good candidate for 5 replay episodes, since that was largely preempted across all time zones. It'll be interesting to see what they decide on, for sure. They do have a cliffhanger filmed going into what was to be the Olympics break, fwiw.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

They also had the French Open tennis tournament hiatus.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

While it'd be nice if they showed classic episodes, I'm wondering if they'll choose to air some of the episodes that were preempted because of the impeachment hearings. You could watch them on Demand but IIRC, it was a pretty big week--the week of the time jump.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

While it'd be nice if they showed classic episodes, I'm wondering if they'll choose to air some of the episodes that were preempted because of the impeachment hearings. You could watch them on Demand but IIRC, it was a pretty big week--the week of the time jump.

That's what they'll do no way will they air better classic episodes from yesteryear they can't afford them. 

Its why the other soaps air episodes from a few months ago over certain holidays instead of the classic episodes from yesteryear....

• Love 1
On 3/24/2020 at 12:39 AM, Jaded said:

The 80's episodes contain a lot of copyrighted music which would make it harder to air them now.

Yep. The music alone that they would have to pony up for would bankrupt them. If you didn't watch in the 80s, whew the music! All the great supercouples had songs and many of them were actual Billboard hits. There was also the beautiful, instrumental Marty Davich music that was also a staple back then. Pretty sure those are tied up. The only time I can recall they actually spent money for music within their now shitty budget was when Bo died and they actually got Bo and Hope's song for that one episode.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Rafael said:

I think it's time for Ron to go

The show will never be good, so what is the point of replacing Ron and getting someone even worst than him.  I shudder to think of what a Dena Higley return would be like.. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Rafael said:

I think it's time for Ron to go

I think that ship has sailed as another person pointed out it will never be a good soap again and given the long tape to air delay along with what's currently going on what would be the point.

If anything they probably might've been better off not being renewed to begin with.

• Love 4

I’m posting this here since I don’t know where it should go, so please indulge me. In these uncomfortably uncertain times, I find the show oddly to be like an old shoe that I’m happy to slip into. It helps me to put aside everything else for however a brief time.

Next, I watch online using the Global tv app. The March 25(I believe) instalment was not posted so it’s a day behind. Anyone else notice this?

• Love 3

Dishin days has a great episode today. A lot of the cast video-conferenced in and it was a really fun show. Everyone should check it out. 

It's always so great to see the actor's real life personalities come thru. Just goes to show how the writing hampers that down and if TPTB allowed the actors to inject some of that in their scenes how much more lively things can be. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, AManfred said:

Thanks for posting! And I love Eric is wearing a Passions hat. 

As much as I get frustrated with Days, I really do love the cast as themselves. 

I died when Linsey (Sarah) was making fun of how Sarah knows every form of medicine. She is whatever kind of doctor they need that day. 

As boring as Lani is, I find Sal to be so engaging and relatable. I truly appreciated her honesty. 

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

It always astounds me how personable and lively Sal is when she is just such a complete drip on screen.

Part of me thinks some of it is the fact that she isn't the most skilled actress in terms of studying in her background. 

Mostly though I wish the writers knew how to write to her strengths. Not that I want this particular return but she was much better presence wise when she was obsessed with Shawn D. 

Now that they seem to be reforming Kristen I would love for her to reignite that friendship. Sal and Stacy have great friend chemistry. 

• Love 4

Well, this is frustrating. Several scenes have gotten cut lately, but to Ron's credit, he was able to piece together what occurred in those cut scenes so viewers would know what happened. I'll post the first and last tweets in each thread below - you can follow any of these to Twitter to see the full threads:

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, howmanywords said:

Yep. The music alone that they would have to pony up for would bankrupt them. If you didn't watch in the 80s, whew the music! All the great supercouples had songs and many of them were actual Billboard hits. There was also the beautiful, instrumental Marty Davich music that was also a staple back then. Pretty sure those are tied up. The only time I can recall they actually spent money for music within their now shitty budget was when Bo died and they actually got Bo and Hope's song for that one episode.

I didn't watch then as I didn't start with the show until the '97 Susan storyline, but I was lucky enough to watch the Jennifer and Frankie homemade prom dance to "Stand by Me" from 1987. Absolutely beautiful. It's a shame that soaps don't have the budget for licensed music anymore. Last time I heard copyrighted music on the show was probably the '02 Last Chance Blast.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 5
On 4/8/2020 at 4:58 PM, peachmangosteen said:

It always astounds me how personable and lively Sal is when she is just such a complete drip on screen.

I actually heard some tea recently that she’s mean in RL. Some of the cast mates who were on ANTM with her said she was a bully to them and very arrogant behind the scenes. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

Well, this is frustrating. Several scenes have gotten cut lately, but to Ron's credit, he was able to piece together what occurred in those cut scenes so viewers would know what happened. I'll post the first and last tweets in each thread below - you can follow any of these to Twitter to see the full threads:

If Days had any real vision they would make the cut scenes available on their app/NBC website.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I actually heard some tea recently that she’s mean in RL. Some of the cast mates who were on ANTM with her said she was a bully to them and very arrogant behind the scenes. 

Not to defend bad behavior if it is true. She did top model how many years ago?

I'm curious if she has had any complaints since she started acting? 

If she wasn't in fact playing a "role" as one often does on Reality TV, either their own choice or producer influenced. I would hope she learned her lesson and has grown out of it. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

She was Tyra's favorite propped to the heavens even though she was not a high fashion model, took bad pictures and she used to go by Saleisha her real name and yes she was a stealth bitch. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JBC344 said:

Not to defend bad behavior if it is true. She did top model how many years ago?

I'm curious if she has had any complaints since she started acting? 

If she wasn't in fact playing a "role" as one often does on Reality TV, either their own choice or producer influenced. I would hope she learned her lesson and has grown out of it. 

I just said in my post you replied to they said she was a bully and bitch behind the scenes. Aka “behind the scenes” that term means off filming while shooting a show. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I just said in my post you replied to they said she was a bully and bitch behind the scenes. Aka “behind the scenes” that term means off filming while shooting a show. 

I seriously don't understand what offended you but ok. 

"Behind the scenes" is sort of a mute point when talking about a reality show. 

That why I was asking if she had any complaints in her legitimate acting roles. 

Not implying that she isn't/wasn't a mean person just that a reality show isn't exactly a good barometer. Especially if we are questioning the merits of the show with her being Tyra's favorite despite being a "mean" person and taking bad photos. 

Regardless, if she was legitimately mean, I hope that she has learned from her mistakes and is a better person. 

• Love 3

https://www.soapoperanetwork.com/2020/04/abc-people-the-story-of-soaps-primetime-special

ABC to Air Two-Hour Primetime Special, ‘The Story of Soaps’

ABC will air a two-hour primetime special dedicated to the impact soap operas have had on television past, present and future.

The special, presented by ABC and PEOPLE magazine, explores how no genre of television has laid deeper roots into our cultural consciousness and serialized storytelling than the soap opera. In today’s shifting television landscape, “The Story of Soaps” traces how female creators migrated from radio to television to become the dominant force in daytime for more than three decades. Today, that legacy is alive and well all over prime time and reality, and much of what propels modern television traces its roots back to those first sprawling, steamy storylines. “The Story of Soaps” takes an extensive look at this iconic, impactful genre and the cultural phenomenon its massive impact has had on the world at large.

“The Story of Soaps” marks the third time that ABC and PEOPLE magazine have partnered on a documentary event and is produced for ABC by the television production division of Meredith Corporation with executive producers Bruce Gersh, Bruce Robertson and Dan Wakeford; and by Maggievision Productions with executive producers Maura Mandt and Rebecca Gitlitz.

A plethora of actors, producers, writers and creators will be featured in the special, including:

Abigail De Kosnik, author 

Agnes Nixon, creator of “All My Children” and “One Life to Live”

Alec Baldwin, actor (“The Doctors”)

Allan Sugarman, co-founder of Soap Opera Festivals Inc. 

Andy Cohen, creator (“The Real Housewives” franchise)

Angela Shapiro-Mathes, executive (ABC Daytime, NBC Daytime)

Bradley P. Bell, executive director and head writer (“The Bold and the Beautiful”)

Bryan Cranston, actor (“Loving”)

Carol Burnett, actor 

Chandra Wilson, actor (“Grey’s Anatomy”)

Chris Van Etten, writer (“General Hospital”)

David Jacobs, creator 

Deidre Hall, actor (“Days of our Lives”)

Denise Richards, actor (“The Bold and the Beautiful”)

Donna Mills, actor 

Drake Hogestyn, actor (“Days of our Lives”)

Eddie Mills, actor 

Eileen Davidson, actor and reality star (“The Young and the Restless”)

Erika Jayne, “The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills” 

Erika Slezak, actor (“One Life to Live”)

Finola Hughes, actor (“General Hospital”)

Genie Francis, actor (“General Hospital”)

Greg Vaughan, actor (“Days of our Lives”)

James Harmon Brown, writer 

Jill Farren Phelps, executive producer (“Another World,” et. al)

John Aniston, actor (“Days of our Lives”)

John McCook, actor (“The Bold and the Beautiful”)

John Stamos, actor (“General Hospital”)

Jon Hamm, actor 

Jonathan Murray, executive producer 

Joyce Becker, co-founder of Soap Opera Festivals Inc. 

Kate Coyne, editorial director, entertainment, PEOPLE 

Ken Olin, executive producer 

Krista Smith, consultant 

Laura Wright, actor (“General Hospital”)

Lorraine Broderick, head writer (“All My Children,” et. al)

Marc Anthony Samuel, actor (“General Hospital”)

Marc Cherry, creator 

Mark Teschner, casting director (“General Hospital”)

Mary Crosby, actor 

Maurice Benard, actor (“General Hospital”)

Melody Thomas Scott, actor (“The Young and the Restless”)

Shelly Altman, head writer (“General Hospital,” et. al) 

Susan Lucci, actor (“All My Children”)

Susan Sullivan, actor 

Vivica A. Fox, actor (“The Young and the Restless”)

Yhane Smith, creator of “Harlem Queen”

The special airs on Tuesday, May 19 at 8:00 p.m. EDT/PDT on ABC.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Jill Farren Phelps, executive producer (“Another World,” et. al)

Oh joy. So now I finally get to see the face of the women who killed Another World? AND hear her speak about the significance of the genre? Fun.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DisneyBoy said:

Oh joy. So now I finally get to see the face of the women who killed Another World? AND hear her speak about the significance of the genre? Fun.

JFP is a true serial killer.  AF was only one in a long line of shows she dealt lethal blows to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, boes said:

JFP is a true serial killer.  AF was only one in a long line of shows she dealt lethal blows to.

Do not even get me started! Worst EP ever. That woman destroyed Santa Barbara, Guiding Light and One Life To Live as well.

I (sort of) met JFP once when I lived a few blocks away from the studio where Another World taped and she was very unpleasant so it always gave me more of a reason to dislike her as much as I have. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, howmanywords said:

Do not even get me started! Worst EP ever. That woman destroyed Santa Barbara, Guiding Light and One Life To Live as well. 

I still remember how she said something like "this isn't your grandmother's soap anymore" when she killed Maureen Bauer off of Guiding Light.  Ugh.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Jimmy Fallon did a fun online video called The Longest Days of Our Lives with Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell. Pretty cute.

Have you seen the second, I think, episode with Matthew Mcconaughey as the crazed doctor?

• LOL 3

We have all complained about how far ahead Days shoots their eps.  So now it turns out it will be the only soap that will be able to continue to air new eps for the next few months.  They couldn't have known this but it works out for soap viewers.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, bannana said:

We have all complained about how far ahead Days shoots their eps.  So now it turns out it will be the only soap that will be able to continue to air new eps for the next few months.  They couldn't have known this but it works out for soap viewers.

As funny as this all turned out to be this works for those who want to watch Days for those that don't they'll watch something else. 

Or they may get into the Y&R classic episodes(which I'm glad CBS is airing real classic episodes and not stuff from a couple years ago like GH)

• Love 2