Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm with you, I can't see the older actors really wanting to risk their lives for this. Judi will absolutely not come back imo. She'd be an absolute fool if she did! Although, she's already off the show anyway so I don't know if they even planned for her to come back.

We're still learning about the virus but at this time, it doesn't appear that people are getting reinfected...yet.  So people like Judi, who have had it and recovered, are probably people for whom it's safest to go back to work. Maybe we'll see Leo again.  Ha.   

And there are people of all ages who aren't as afraid of it as they maybe should be and I can see them wanting to work.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

And there are people of all ages who aren't as afraid of it as they maybe should be and I can see them wanting to work.

True. A lot of these actors might be like, 'eh, it's over' or 'it's all fake anyway' so it might not be a problem for them. I would hope at least some of them have more sense though lol. But I mean, a lot of them probably need the money and will go back even if they are worried about it.

8 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

We're still learning about the virus but at this time, it doesn't appear that people are getting reinfected...yet.  So people like Judi, who have had it and recovered, are probably people for whom it's safest to go back to work. Maybe we'll see Leo again. 

Yea, see, we don't know a lot and it seems like info changes often so I don't know why Judi would want to risk it since she's been through so much recently. But again, she's not even on the show now and I don't know if there was any plan for her to come back anyway.

• Love 3

B&B is going into production tomorrow.  They have the advantage of being a half hour show so it might be easier for them to do the staggering thing they're talking about in the article.

I wonder if DOOL will do something similar but instead of returning to their normal pace, resume at half pace.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I see them more being like "nope, this isn't how I want to die". I mean, between the pay cuts and the scripts...

I think you under-estimate the acting ego.  Every cast member knows that 99% of actors are not employed and that a paying gig is a paying gig, whether the actor is 25 or 75.

There are plenty of ways to manage a taping schedule.  It's going to be very helpful that B+B is starting up so soon.  The other shows will learn from what/how B+B does.  

There are two easy ways to handle the return.  First, they could acknowledge the world we live in and wear masks for a few months.  Or have a huge storm hit Salem, forcing everyone to be divided into smaller groups, able to communicate via phone, but not sharing scenes. That could last for weeks, since a SalemDay typically runs 8-10 episodes. We all scream at how the show limits certain actors to specific "bubbles", rarely interacting out the bubble.  This would just take it to an extreme for a somewhat brief time.

Actors aside, the real question to me is whether Corday Productions, NBC, and Sony will pony up some cash to tape programs under the new guidelines.  Much has been made of the cost savings that DOOL claims in its current tape pattern.  If they have to revert to a more traditional pace, or fund all the necessary infrastructure, then the show may be doomed.

• Love 2

This is something B&B is planning to do:

They could just not film love scenes and talk about them or flashback to love scenes the couples used to have if needed... 

Preserving those passionate on-screen kisses will involve a bit of creative camera work, and the magic of editing. Each actor will go through the motions separately, performing inches away from the camera. “They’ll look like they’re nose to nose, in the throes of passion,” Bell says. “But they’ll be shooting scenes all by themselves.”

Simulated sex scenes, though, will require more than clever camera work and creative lighting. Bell says he plans to use a combination of stand-ins and blow-up dolls. Actors’ spouses, who test negative for the novel coronavirus, will join their partners for love scenes that involve touching.  Life-like dummies will fill in for more intimate on-camera work.

“We have some life-like blow up dolls that have been sitting around here for the past 15 years, that we’ve used for various other stories — (like) when people were presumed dead,” says Bell. “We’re dusting off the dolls and putting new wigs and make-up on them and they’ll be featured in love scenes.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmielewski/2020/06/16/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-is-back-with-a-plan-to-keep-social-distancing-from-stealing-the-sex/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

B&B should address the quarantine and have their plots actually deal  with it.

I've seen a lot of people suggest this for shows from now on and I am against it. I'd rather not be reminded of the hell we currently live in on every show I watch lol.

It'd make it a lot easier to film though.

• Love 7

I had to do a double-take while reading those quotes. I thought maybe this was an article from the Onion or something. That is ridiculous. I almost wish Bell hadn't said that in an interview because now everyone will be watching the scenes just for glimpses of the dolls.

Sex dolls. That's what this genre has come to! LOL

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Sex dolls. That's what this genre has come to!

I admit, that part made me think it was a parody.  Well that and their real life partners being on set.  What happens if their significant other looks very different from the person they're supposed to be having sex with? 

Sex scenes have been relatively stripped down lately anyway so I think they should just skip them for the time being.  I would imagine Y&R will adapt similar guidelines since they're part of the same family.

We'll see what DOOL and GH decide.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I had to do a double-take while reading those quotes. I thought maybe this was an article from the Onion or something. That is ridiculous. I almost wish Bell hadn't said that in an interview because now everyone will be watching the scenes just for glimpses of the dolls.

Sex dolls. That's what this genre has come to! LOL

Although I think its a good marketing gimmick as now more people will tune in out of curiosity. 

• Love 1

How's this for an unpopular opinion? I think Orpheus could have been Hope's next love interest. Hear me out. In rescuing John and Marlena, Hope gravely injures Orpheus, leaving him paralzed, with memory loss and seeming vulnerable. Hope feels so guilty she takes responsibility for his care, eventually taking him in. They grow closer, as they commiserate over guilt over past misdeeds. The rest of the town thinks she's nuts... Later, does his memory return?

Ack! Wrong board! Sorry!

• Love 1
(edited)

Claire looks so much healthier now. I always wondered if part of the reason she left was to get help for her very obvious anorexia, and she looks fantastic. Too bad her grandmother won't do the same. Hope has been skeletal for decades now (I remember her TWOP nickname being Skeletor) and I can't see it ever changing. It looked so ridiculous when Hope was her usual emaciated self yet pregnant with Ciara. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)

I realize this is a sensitive issue and I definitely don't want to shame anybody, but I wondered the same about Olivia during her last stint, and frankly I'm still wondering it now. She doesn't look much healthier to me, but I feel like we haven't seen her in wide angles the way we did back then. I remember when she wore that bikini thing for a date with Tripp and just thinking "My God something's up...is anybody going to do anything to help her?"

I still remember when Portia de Rossi started to get help with her eating disorder and visibly put on about 40 or 50 lb, which was desperately needed, during the last years of Ally McBeal. The horrible wardrobe department did her no favours, and constantly put her in scarves up to her chin to try and disguise her *gasp* healthy proportions. But then shortly after Ally McBeal she was on Arrested Development and looking very thin again. I think for actresses it's a yo-yo that never improves until they're out of the limelight, and even then who knows. I would have much preferred seeing Claire on the show looking as she did when she first joined the cast, with her slightly rounder face and thin but normal looking frame. I definitely think Olivia's looks are part of why she gets booked and for her to reinvent herself at a different body weight will probably be too scary. And again, she may just be someone who's naturally thin and because of the stress of the work tends to have even poorer eating habits - who knows?

But as you pointed out, Hope has been on the show looking incredibly thin for years. What are they going to do, order her to put on some weight? Fire her if she doesn't? It's a tough position to be in as an actress. If you do put on the weight and you're feeling more healthy, the production could still turn around and not renew your contract but never explicitly state that it's because of your appearance.

Personally, I hope Olivia does put on 20 lbs and wears it with pride. She clearly has talent and beautiful eyes and a great smile and a lot going for her. A lot more anyway than just fitting into a size 1. 

Entirely separate note, Suzanne/Maggie said she lost about 20 lb filming the scenes where Maggie realizes she's responsible for the death of her own grandchild. I really, really hope she puts the weight back on because at her age that's not a great thing. She has been looking much thinner on camera lately and it's scaring me because I want her to live a long and healthy life and not let the stress of her performance eat away at her resilience.

And then...there's Freddie, LOL. Hey if we're body shaming the women we should also body shame the men right?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3
(edited)

To me personally Olivia/Claire looks much healthier. Still thin, but no longer emaciated. You can see it in her legs as they're having her wear a lot of skirts, and her shoulder clavicles don't appear to be jutting out as much as they did on her last stint. 

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

And then...there's Freddie, LOL. Hey if we're body shaming the women we should also body shame the men right?

His appearance changes so quickly and often, I feel like maybe it's related to like some kind of steroid or something. Doesn't he have Bell's palsy? Maybe he takes a steroid for that.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I've missed a lot of episodes, so I'm glad at least you noticed and let me know because at a quick glance I didn't think she was much better. Relieved!

I feel like the wardrobe realized the problem because on her previous stint you were seeing them put her in a lot of layers to cover up, like they do with Hope. Now she's wearing more form-fitting clothes this go around so that's why I noticed.

• Love 2

Yes, I'd forgotten about her flowy looks. I think at the time I'd assumed it was them trying to channel her "hippie songbird" vibe.

After watching yesterday's episode, I agree she looks better. The eyes are less bulgy, her legs looked....fed. She was laying down so it's hard to tell, but overall she seemed improved.

I hope she doing okay.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

He got paid.  That's all most actors want.  He could be back working as a carpenter.  A gig is a gig.

Except a carpenter is probably more steady work, and better paid.

My actor friends and acquaintances would be quite unhappy at not being noted in the credits.

• Love 14
On 6/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Entirely separate note, Suzanne/Maggie said she lost about 20 lb filming the scenes where Maggie realizes she's responsible for the death of her own grandchild. I really, really hope she puts the weight back on because at her age that's not a great thing. She has been looking much thinner on camera lately and it's scaring me because I want her to live a long and healthy life and not let the stress of her performance eat away at her resilience.

I had noticed that Suzanne Rogers is very thin now. Not that she was overweight before, so this has me a bit worried about her.

• Love 2

It appears that Missy Reeves is getting dragged but co-star Lindsey Godfrey on Twitter. Apparently, Missy liked a tweet about BLM and she’s getting dragged in the twitterverse. Is anyone really surprised by Missy’s right wing views? I think people can say what they want (I don’t even have Twitter) but you’d think Missy would keep it on the down low. LOL!!!!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

It appears that Missy Reeves is getting dragged but co-star Lindsey Godfrey on Twitter. Apparently, Missy liked a tweet about BLM and she’s getting dragged in the twitterverse. Is anyone really surprised by Missy’s right wing views? I think people can say what they want (I don’t even have Twitter) but you’d think Missy would keep it on the down low. LOL!!!!

Martha Madison and Paul Telfer are supporting Lindsey. Lindsey is very outspoken on Twitter.

Martha actually said, "It’s so disappointing to watch folks I know either ignore or perpetuate the racism and hate we all see happening. Even more, I’ll never understand using religion as a reason to only love selective groups of humans. It’s antithetical to the whole belief system. It’s gross."

• Love 14
(edited)
49 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Did Missy unlike those tweets?  Because on her twitter feed she has nothing even in the last few years.  But there are screen shots of her liking Candace Owens tweets.

ETA:  Oh, I see, Missy liked CO's Insta posts.  And then people were addressing on Twitter.

This is a bad look for her, really bad.

Edited by bannana
found where she "liked"
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Oh, Miss Jen-Fil-A got her wig snatched again?

200.gif

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, bannana said:

Here's one of many articles now online about this. Days is not commenting.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/days-of-our-lives-star-melissa-reeves-under-fire-for-anti-black-lives-matter-stance/

I wonder is Missy is reading this over a sandwich and a coke at Chic-fil-A.  That's if Scott Reeves allows da wimmins to read, of course.  

MR is even dumber than her character.

59 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

This made me peek at LG's twitter and now I have to start liking Sarah because LG is straight-up awesome.

She sure is.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11

As someone who has disliked MR since the Jason Brooks scandal and then the Chick-Fil-A shit, I'm ready for some good ole fashion backlash. Yeeees drag her! A big JnJ twitter account is even pulling their support for her. 

michael jackson popcorn GIF

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
(edited)

I really haven't kept up with this tbh if all she did was like tweets and not say anything I'm not sure why people think she's going to get fired over this. I mean this is rather tame than Camila's response when she posted why people are rioting during a pandemic and blocked people who came after her for it. Only to show up at an amusement park a couple days later. 

Jennifer is barely on as is I'm sure a lot of people agree with MR's POV they aren't dumb enough to be public with it.

That being said this is way more interesting than the show not that it takes much these days.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't think she'll legit get fired.  But I am not going to feel sorry for her that people are calling for her firing or feel they can't support her any longer.

With everything that has been happening around the country in the past few weeks, it's not only a choice to remain ignorant, it's a privilege to be able to make that choice. I'm fine with that not to be okay.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 21

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out if Sarah and Jennifer have ever had any scenes together.  I cannot recall any.  Because  by reading Linsey's tweets, it is apparent that her feelings about Missy are not new, she even cited the Chick-Fil-A incident.

And Lamon Archey also weighed in a not so subtle way, and Martha Madison did very directly. It will make it difficult for the cast when they get back to the set.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, bannana said:

I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out if Sarah and Jennifer have ever had any scenes together.  I cannot recall any.  Because  by reading Linsey's tweets, it is apparent that her feelings about Missy are not new, she even cited the Chick-Fil-A incident.

And Lamon Archey also weighed in a not so subtle way, and Martha Madison did very directly. It will make it difficult for the cast when they get back to the set.

I want some bts footage of them all returning to work lol. Ron, write a Sarah/Eli/Belle/Jennifer story so I can watch that mess on screen!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I want some bts footage of them all returning to work lol. Ron, write a Sarah/Eli/Belle/Jennifer story so I can watch that mess on screen!

I was going to say between this and the Camila drama returning to work is going to be hella awkward..then I was reminded though that Camila allegedly is gone anyway. Still this MR stuff is going to make for some mess.

• Love 4
(edited)
40 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Can someone please summarize the Camilla drama? 

(BTW, I'm linking because I didn't witness the drama first hand but people who did talk about it starting in that post.)

Edited by Irlandesa
4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

(BTW, I'm linking because I didn't witness the drama first hand but people who did talk about it starting in that post.)

And this is why cancel culture is ridiculous.  It is not an insane stance to think that people shouldn't protest during a pandemic, no matter the cause.  I'm not saying that you have to agree with that stance.  Just saying that people don't need to get fired over it, or ridiculed over it, or anything else.  Why can't we all just live and let live?

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Camila complaining about protesting during a pandemic could have been fine if she herself wasn't seen at an amusement park the same week not even wearing a mask. IIRC that caused the problem.

Disneyland has been closed since March. I’m willing to guess it was an old picture she posted?