Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

CB said she submitted.

Granted I don't take the Emmys seriously in general but I would've chosen Bill Hayes/Doug the only likeable person in that storyline.

CM was good with JJ's brief drug addiction however I'm not surprised as JJ has been an afterthought on this show for years. 

• Love 3

Count me mad, then, that Camilla didn't get a nomination. She's bringing so much fire and energy to her material. What more is she supposed to do? I'm infuriated on her behalf.

Thaao? Seriously? I can't even think of anything he could have put in his reel that would trick the committee into believing he had a compelling story arc. Are the reels available online yet?

Very happy for AZ, who has been working her buns off the last few years. Has she ever won an Emmy for her work?

I'm very glad to see Paul Telfer nominated, but like the rest of you pointed out, I don't think he's really broken through his limitations as an actor yet. When he can do really varied scenes as well as he does his stern macho bad boy stuff, then I say give him a trophy. He's getting there, but he's not there yet.

I'm really offended on behalf of John Aniston. He is the highlight of every episode.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Very happy for AZ, who has been working her buns off the last few years. Has she ever won an Emmy for her work?

She's been nominated 3 times.  And she won a SOD award.  Are those still a thing?

• Love 4
(edited)

https://www.soapcentral.com/days/news/2020/0521-judi_evans_injured_in_accident.php

Sadly, Judi Evans had a setback this week...

UPDATE (May 28, 2020): According to a rep for Evans, doctors discovered the actress had developed a potentially life-threatening blood clot in one of her lungs.

(I) spoke to her yesterday and she is still in the hospital. She has been scheduled for surgery on her ribs and lung since Tuesday but it keeps getting pushed back," the rep told Soaps. "Her spirits are good but she’s been there almost two weeks now she is getting restless.” The rep adds that the actress knows that fans have been rooting for her and asking after her. “She appreciates the prayers and support!”

Edited by cmahorror

https://www.soapoperanews.net/2020/0...macdonald.html

Days of Our Lives Alum Ryan MacDonald Passed Away!

Days of Our Lives alum, Ryan MacDonald passed away a the age of 89 on February 13, 2020.

He played the role of Scott Banning on Days of Our Lives from 1971 - 1973. He was born on September 4, 1930, and has an acting career spanning approximately six decades. He played multiple roles on Days including Chauncey Powell from 1991 - 1992 and a crooked lawyer involved in the Hawk Hawkins storyline. He also appeared on Santa Barbara, General Hospital and The Young and the Restless.

%22
%22

I posted this in the wrong thread, I apologize.  Let's try it again.

Can somebody explain what's going on on Twitter an IG between Camila Banus and co-stars?  Camila is very unhappy on Twitter right now and talking about blocking people.

56 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I posted this in the wrong thread, I apologize.  Let's try it again.

Can somebody explain what's going on on Twitter an IG between Camila Banus and co-stars?  Camila is very unhappy on Twitter right now and talking about blocking people.

This has to do with the protests Camila didn't think they should be protesting during a pandemic. Then she started blocking people when they were talking about BLM. I think she overreacted however its not a good look to be shown at an amusement park a few days later either. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Nothings going on w her costars and she hasn’t mentioned them. Some viewers were blowing her shit though about BLM and her BF political affiliation. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

My God, Judi is a trouper. But how the HELL did the medical staff forget to NUMB HER LEG?

Yes, what actual F is going on?!

She has been through so much, this is just horrible.

Just now, bannana said:

Yes, what actual F is going on?!

She has been through so much, this is just horrible.

In case you missed the link and are asking, Judi ended up getting COVID-19 along with her injuries from the fall from a horse. She almost lost her legs due to clotting. I guess during a surgery to remove clots, they cut into a leg WITHOUT numbing it!

If I were her, when she recovers (being positive!), I hope she explores her legal options.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

In case you missed the link and are asking, Judi ended up getting COVID-19 along with her injuries from the fall from a horse. She almost lost her legs due to clotting. I guess during a surgery to remove clots, they cut into a leg WITHOUT numbing it!

If I were her, when she recovers (being positive!), I hope she explores her legal options.

Thanks, @WendyCR72, yes, I read the story via the links. This is just insane what has happened to her.  And after having lost her son. So wrong.

• Love 2
On 6/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, Petunia13 said:

Nothings going on w her costars and she hasn’t mentioned them. Some viewers were blowing her shit though about BLM and her BF political affiliation. 

She didn’t mention them but LA has unfollowed her on Twitter and Instagram and liked a tweet criticising her response. 

• Love 2

Here's my big question: since it doesn't look like there's going to be a cure to covid-19 before the end of the year, are they going to try to go back to work on the show...but leave the Over 60 Set out of the new episodes (aka Deidre and Drake and Susan etc etc etc)? Or would they just re-air old episodes until it's safe to resume production? I keep wondering how this is going to play out once they run out of new material in November...

• Love 3
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Here's my big question: since it doesn't look like there's going to be a cure to covid-19 before the end of the year, are they going to try to go back to work on the show...but leave the Over 60 Set out of the new episodes

I know that has been floated about in Hollywood but I would think leaving the over 60 crowd out would open themselves up to an age discrimination lawsuit.  It's not up to the employer to decide something is too dangerous for a certain subset of its employees to perform based on their age, race, religion...etc.

The good news for Days is that they're not the only one with the problem and, given how many months they've banked ahead of other soaps, it's likely they'll be able to sit back and let the others take the lead.

I won't lie, though, I'd love for the show to take a hiatus to air some really old episodes. Like maybe over the 4th of July week.  Or a late August break.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Here's my big question: since it doesn't look like there's going to be a cure to covid-19 before the end of the year, are they going to try to go back to work on the show...but leave the Over 60 Set out of the new episodes (aka Deidre and Drake and Susan etc etc etc)? Or would they just re-air old episodes until it's safe to resume production? I keep wondering how this is going to play out once they run out of new material in November...

I think soaps are over.  There's no way to tape them with social distancing and masks, and this isn't going away within the next few years.

• Useful 1

But the same thing is true for virtually all scripted drama.  The only difference with soaps is the number of episodes.  All film, tv, stage, etc., are affected the same way except for the vanishingly rare one person show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 14
24 minutes ago, boes said:

But the same thing is true for virtually all scripted drama.  The only difference with soaps is the number of episodes.  All film, tv, stage, etc., are affected the same way except for the vanishingly rare one person show. 

Then there are reality shows like The Bachelor too also affected by this.

42 minutes ago, boes said:

Oh, yeah, definitely. I think we've seen the last of TV and movies the way we're.  But, with food shortages and utility interruptions, on top of looting and rioting (both racial and due to shortages), TV will be the least of our concerns.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, boes said:

The advantage some of the prime time shows have is that they can try to move some of their production in between characters outside.  Soaps work in pretty close quarters and don't have the budget to take things outside.

But they still have to deal with the intimate (I'm not talking about just sex or kissing) scenes that are supposed to be quiet and inside.

I suspect it'll involve a lot of testing.

• Love 3

While it is nice that LA County is reopening to filming, spikes across the country make me wonder how long it will last. I even read a CDC article that says shutdowns could happen again.

• Love 1

The good news is that DOOL doesnt have to rush back.  Corday Productions can sit back and watch how the other shows handle the new LA filming guidelines.

I would love to see classic DOOL episodes, yet I fear that if NBC makes such a decision , they will do something outrageous, like merely re-airing the past year.

• LOL 2
8 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The good news is that DOOL doesnt have to rush back.  Corday Productions can sit back and watch how the other shows handle the new LA filming guidelines.

I would love to see classic DOOL episodes, yet I fear that if NBC makes such a decision , they will do something outrageous, like merely re-airing the past year.

GH took the approach of focusing mostly on episodes from the past ten to fifteen years and it's super disappointing. Y&R and B&B have been doing it better. 

I suspect DOOL will start taping as soon as possible.  They must be panicking now that they're only about four months ahead.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

They can but honestly this whole thing has justified their decision to tape far ahead if anything when they return they'll tape like crazy just to go back to being 7-8 months ahead. I also think other soaps might adopt this approach as well.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

While it is nice that LA County is reopening to filming, spikes across the country make me wonder how long it will last. I even read a CDC article that says shutdowns could happen again.

Reopening to film is great news. New spikes are skewed.

13 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yea, they're definitely reopening too early and everything is just gonna end up shutdown again by fall lol.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, they're definitely reopening too early and everything is just gonna end up shutdown again by fall lol.

Yep.   But I don't think they'd be able to film in the fall even if they don't open so I understand why they're going to want to film as much as possible before having to close down again.

I will be curious how it's going to work on film sets.  There are quite a few restaurants in my area that have opened with social distancing guidelines but then had to shut down again briefly when a worker tested positive.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I will be curious how it's going to work on film sets. 

Same. The guidelines make it seem just sort of impossible to do really.

Although, the guidelines are basically like, 'well, try to do this lol' so conceivably they could just be like, 'fuck it, we're just gonna stand beside each other' I guess.

I did suggest in the GH thread that they could maybe do all the scenes whatever way they did the final Alicia/Kalinda scene on The Good Wife.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I did suggest in the GH thread that they could maybe do all the scenes whatever way they did the final Alicia/Kalinda scene on The Good Wife.

Ahead of their time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

If/when they do start taping again...it'll be the holiday season stuff. Characters are expected to be gathering! Are they going to send the seniors "on a cruise"....or bring Suzanne in for one afternoon and film her in close up talking to no one ... and repeat this with everyone and then edit the scenes with no wide shots so we can pretend they're all together around the tree chatting..?!

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But I don't think they'd be able to film in the fall even if they don't open so I understand why they're going to want to film as much as possible before having to close down again.

Given what poor Judi has just been through, I really doubt this cast is going to roll the dice. I can't see them putting up with being ordered onto a set that could contaminate them....

14 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Although, the guidelines are basically like, 'well, try to do this lol' so conceivably they could just be like, 'fuck it, we're just gonna stand beside each other' I guess.

I see them more being like "nope, this isn't how I want to die". I mean, between the pay cuts and the scripts... there wasn't much glamor left to the gig. Throw in some life-jeopardizing workplace conditions and um....yeah, nope. We probably won't see Doug, Julie, Maggie and Victor again this year should they resume taping...unless a real cure is somehow announced.

Please don't joke about the Alicia/Kalinda farewell scene as a solution!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I see them more being like "nope, this isn't how I want to die".

By 'they' I mean more TPTB. 

I'm with you, I can't see the older actors really wanting to risk their lives for this. Judi will absolutely not come back imo. She'd be an absolute fool if she did! Although, she's already off the show anyway so I don't know if they even planned for her to come back.

• Love 2