Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

On 4/25/2020 at 12:28 AM, enchantingmonkey said:

I still remember how she said something like "this isn't your grandmother's soap anymore" when she killed Maureen Bauer off of Guiding Light.  Ugh.  

On another world, Jill Pharen Phelps callously killed off Frankie Frame by a serial killer. It was a brutal long murder and we had to watch Frankie beg for her life.. Paige's murder by our resident serial killer Ben rivaled hers..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Frankie was also pregnant too.

She had her daughter with Cass, but I don't think she was pregnant again. Not that it matters. THAT death was still BEYOND disgusting, disturbing, and gross, and JFP APPROVING it shows her for the sick wench she is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've been watching soaps for a good 30 years and Frankie Frame's death was for me one of the most horrifying and brutal. I would never want to watch those scenes again. I had nightmares when that aired. I remember when Paige was murdered the brutality reminded me of Frankie's death. Frankie's was more terrifying though because it went on for so long. We had to sit through an episode of her being terrorized, beaten and strangled. Frankie's murder and Maureen's on GL is all anyone needs to watch for a simplified reason why JFP was such a hack.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

She had her daughter with Cass, but I don't think she was pregnant again. Not that it matters. THAT death was still BEYOND disgusting, disturbing, and gross, and JFP APPROVING it shows her for the sick wench she is.

You're right I must be thinking of the other kid she miscarried.  It was rather graphic and sadly the beginning of the end of AW I don't think they ever recovered. I think at one point they wanted it to be Donna but the network intervened at the time or Paulina(that I probably could've accepted because she ended up stuck with Joe and death would be an improvement)

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2

One last thing about the AW travesty before I get back on topic, but I read that Alice Barrett's second AW character, Anne, was allegedly supposed to turn out to be Frankie. True or false, I have no idea. And I don't know how a character could come back after the on-screen death she suffered, but that is a rumor I read.

Guess we'll never know. But if she was, how ironic she would be in the "Kathleen" role for Cass/Lila in yet another "wife returns from the dead" triangle.

To connect this to Days, as we had discussed before, Stephen Schnetzer played Julie's brother/Hope's half-brother, Steve Olsen (or is it Olson?). Shows love re-pairing actors. If anyone ever remembers the "other" Steve, it would be a kick to see Alice Barrett as a wife/ex-wife or whatever. But then, I know couples that sparked on one soap can suck on another. Just floating an idea.

• Love 1

Can I ask, do you remember where you read that, about Anne really being Frankie? I never saw anything in print that suggested that was their real plan all along. Of course it's entirely possible that I missed the interview where it was revealed. I was so excited by the Anne O'Donnell storyline. It was so nice to see Alice back on the show. So of course it had to get cancelled 😞

Frankie's murder was teased out for like 3 days, I think. I remember they were having a baby shower at Frankie's house for Josie I think it was, and the camera kept playing the part of the stalker hiding out in the backyard and looking in through the windows as the women traded off this necklace that the murderer wanted back because it was evidence of past crimes or something. It was like some sick game where JFP thought we would enjoy seeing each of the women try on the object that could get them killed, before finally it ended up in Frankie's possession. Then, everyone left the party and the stalking began...and I felt sick to my stomach. I would compare it to the start of the movie Scream, but that was only a few minutes of Drew Barrymore being traumatized. We had to watch Frankie leave the house, try to get into the car and then run for her life and then escape into the woods and then hide out in the Cory smokehouse and then finally get confronted, beg for her life, fight back, scream (and they made a point of having Rachel hear her screams but not go to investigate them, which only gave viewers false hope that Frankie would be found and rescued) and then finally get strangled to death. It was like a snuff film. It was such a tonal departure from anything the show had done before that you really got the feeling they wanted viewers to turn off the TVs for good.

I'm not surprised you had nightmares, howmanywords, because I had a similar feeling about the whole thing. And somehow we knew that they were going to kill Frankie off before it aired. Maybe it had leaked to the press or something. I remember watching it in total shock that they were going through with it and seeming to relish doing it in such grisly detail. Nobody really give a damn about who the murderer was when he was finally revealed, compared to the trauma of Frankie being killed like that.

I think Ryan was grieved more by the general public, but at least his death wasn't gratuitous.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Can I ask, do you remember where you read that, about Anne really being Frankie?

Sorry, it's so long ago, I really can't remember. It might have just been a rumor, as I said, with no basis in fact. But I do remember reading it, anyway. Still, as I said, I'm not sure it had any validity considering the nature of Frankie's violent death.

@JBC344 -- it was pretty political, a reaction to an inflammatory video of some of the Michigan protests that day. I hesitate to reconstruct it here -- I'm sure we're all a mixed  bag of opinions and this is my "don't think about the world so much" hangout, lol. I can find it if there's a hue and cry for the background 🙂

• Love 6

I loved that! All the men look a thousand times better than they do on the show. LA's beard was magnificent! Also though, do men not know how to shave themselves lol? In any case, they all look better with a beard anyway. I loved LG's short hair. VK was astonishingly annoying though. I really can't stand her lol.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved that! All the men look a thousand times better that they do on the show. LA's beard was magnificent! Also though, do men not know how to shave themselves lol? In any case, they all look better with a beard anyway. I loved LG's short hair. VK was astonishingly annoying though. I really can't stand her lol.

Wasn’t she Hope pretending to be GINA ?  No matter who plays that character it is going to be annoying 😂 

I like Brady likes chicks in masks and Eli had to take his shirt off lol.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, tribeca said:

Wasn’t she Hope pretending to be GINA ?  No matter who plays that character it is going to be annoying 😂

True, but she annoys the shit out of me at all times so it wasn't just the character lol.

Also, I loved Gina so!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

Brady likes chicks in masks and Eli had to take his shirt off lol.  

😂 Of course! 

OT the only time I found Eli really hot was when he was w Gabi. That’s how boring his character and Elani are! That it overshadowed his looks. 

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

True, but she annoys the shit out of me at all times so it wasn't just the character lol.

I find VK annoying as well. 

• Love 8

Another good episode.  Guests Kyle Lowder (Rex) and Brock Kelly (Evan/Christian/Chris)

I really do love seeing the actors as themselves.  Kyle brings a lot of his affability and charm to Rex.  Brock is so personable in interviews.  Didn't know Brock was married.  

Wow Brock!!!!!!  A little TMI but I definitely appreciated it!!!!  Now I need to take a cold shower!!!!!

• Love 3
(edited)

"Days of our Lives' head writer Ron Carlivati says killing off Stefan DiMera was a mistake. Find out why it happened and why the show knew it had to get portrayer Brandon Barash back on the canvas."

"Brandon stepped in as a recast for Stefan and was a very different Stefan than the character Tyler [Christopher, ex-Stefan] created," Carlivati shares. "So when he first came on, we as a group, the writers and producers, were just not sure where that story was going to go... Unfortunately, and for story reasons, as well, we killed him off."

This man is truly arrogant and delusional if he truly believes that his unnnecessary creation was some kind of iconic character. this character was so vapid , hollow and empty , even Tyler Christopher couldnt seem to be bothered . Barash tried to add something to this character but I dont think it really made a difference because this character and his stories and motivations are pretty weak and poorly written to begin with.

whats even worse is that he freely admits that he is a hack and wrote himself into a corner. instead of doing something logical like keeping his flop creation alive by putting him in a coma , he then proceeds to kill him off . on what planet does this make sense ? 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
(edited)

"Television sets across the nation melted into piles of goo after the red-hot chemistry between Days of our Lives' Gabi Hernandez and Stefan DiMera exploded everything and everyone around them. The characters' steamy and passionate romance was one for the books, but it was unfortunately cut short when the powers that be suddenly killed off Stefan last fall. The NBC soap has since corrected its course, with Stefan's portrayer, Brandon Barash, returning to Salem last week as an auto mechanic named Jake. But why did the writers decide to kill Stefan in the first place?"

Sorry , but my tv set is pretty much still intact . iv seen way more hot chemistry between Kyle Brandt's Philip and his half sister ,Cassie . Hell, even Lucas and his then -unknown half sister ,Cassie generated more heat than Gabi and Stefan.

yes , both Barash and Banus are goodlooking people with hi-def bodies and were scripted to bump and grind and be in bed the whole episode but they still couldnt generate the required sexual heat .

the only reason why people are going gaga for them is because some viewers  crave for new supercouples or perhaps because they were unexpected and the trashy affair factor even though this coupling made zero sense .

Stefan had Gabi sent to jail, Gabi gets got and loses her womb or fertility and she then wants revenge on Stefan and then plots to screw him into oblivion, despite being the apprentice of Sami and Kate , the ultimate schemers and plotters .

she then puts her masterplan into action and after 45 year old Stefan performs like a well-oiled ferrari in bed ......BOOOM .... then she falls in love with him ....  yep , written by a guy whom the emmys rewarded with Best soap drama  series award . 

UGH!

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3

I liked Stabi in that the performers had energy and they had the love hate dynamic that I enjoy in a pairing. 

But they didn't have this great steamy passionate romance either soaps stopped writing those type of stories in the 90s.

If we get a popular pairing these days its by dumb luck not any real vision involved. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I liked Stabi in that the performers had energy and they had the love hate dynamic that I enjoy in a pairing. 

But they didn't have this great steamy passionate romance either soaps stopped writing those type of stories in the 90s.

If we get a popular pairing these days its by dumb luck not any real vision involved. 

In other words ,they had like a BFF /sibling type of chemistry.

Edited by Rafael
16 hours ago, Rafael said:

In other words ,they had like a BFF /sibling type of chemistry.

Camila and Galen have that type of chemistry. As does Camila/Freddie.

I think Brandon/Camila's chemistry is better than that but at the same time I also don't find it explosive either(like Bo/Hope or Patch/Kayla back in the day) course those other couples had the writing to match back then. At the very least their scenes aren't boring at this point this is all I can ask of this show.

• Love 2

I'm watching The Bay, the online series on Amazon Prime, starring Matthew Ashford, Brandon Beemer, Nicolas Coster, Andrea Evans, Mary Beth Evans, Jade Harlow, Judith McConnell, Tristan Rogers, and Brittany Underwood.  As well as a whole bunch of other actors I don't know.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

I'm watching The Bay, the online series on Amazon Prime, starring Matthew Ashford, Brandon Beemer, Nicolas Coster, Andrea Evans, Mary Beth Evans, Jade Harlow, Judith McConnell, Tristan Rogers, and Brittany Underwood.  As well as a whole bunch of other actors I don't know.

I wanted to start watching that but the first few seasons aren't available om Amazon Prime anymore.

• Love 1
On 5/7/2020 at 2:39 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

Camila and Galen have that type of chemistry. As does Camila/Freddie.

I think Brandon/Camila's chemistry is better than that but at the same time I also don't find it explosive either(like Bo/Hope or Patch/Kayla back in the day) course those other couples had the writing to match back then. At the very least their scenes aren't boring at this point this is all I can ask of this show.

My problem with this couple is that their so-called epic love originated from Stefan's performance in the bedroom .that's it . 

• Love 6
(edited)

the endless pointless twists and turns, that’s what Carlivati's writing is about - one cheap shock factor /gimmicks after another.

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
(edited)

the whole dumb storyline on GH with Frodd believing he’s Drew – and half the town enabling his delusions – is so close to this Stevano brainchip nonsense.

Edited by Rafael
18 hours ago, Rafael said:

My problem with this couple is that their so-called epic love originated from Stefan's performance in the bedroom .that's it . 

I agree there's no substance or depth to them but I feel that way about the show as a whole so it fits.

• Love 2

Just a reminder, this thread is for behind the scenes talk.  So social media, non-spoilery media...etc. 

We're veering too close to this being another "Current Plots Discussion" thread with discussion that's about the current show but having nothing to do with media created behind the scenes. 

If have thoughts on the current state of the show, please take it to the appropriate thread. 

I really had no idea where to put this. But I saw this YT video on another soap board. It's a Dial Soap commercial from the 1960s. But check out where this wedding in the commercial takes place.

Based on that round window, the set looks like the original Horton home set!

I saw '60s era credits on YT and Screen Gems used to be listed in the credits for Days. So I am guessing this set was used for other purposes besides this show, as Screen Gems was still a big deal back in the '60s.

• Love 5

I don't know where to put this, but on the Soap Special on ABC last night, they had some clips from "DAYS"....we saw some scenes of John&Marlena & Marlena's possession & Bo & Hope.  Kristian Alfonso & Greg Vaughn got to talk for a few seconds.  But, there wasn't too much about "DAYS" since it was on ABC it featured more clips of "All My Children", etc.  But, it was neat to see clips from the "Old Days on Soaps".

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Wow, you know the networks are desperate for programming during this pandemic when they agree to air the Daytime Emmys again! (They stopped because ratings were so anemic.)

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Judi Evans has had a serious fall from a horse.  Broken ribs, broken collarbone, cracked vertebrae, and a collapsed lung.

https://soaps.sheknows.com/days-of-our-lives/news/566254/days-of-our-lives-judi-evans-horseback-riding-accident/

This poor woman has been through the ringer already. I hope she recovers quickly.  😞

• Love 12
18 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I don't know where to put this, but on the Soap Special on ABC last night, they had some clips from "DAYS"....we saw some scenes of John&Marlena & Marlena's possession & Bo & Hope.  Kristian Alfonso & Greg Vaughn got to talk for a few seconds.  But, there wasn't too much about "DAYS" since it was on ABC it featured more clips of "All My Children", etc.  But, it was neat to see clips from the "Old Days on Soaps".

There's a small discussion on this topic under "other TV shows, specials and one-offs"

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

😞 😞 😞

....I can't even. Judi sending you good vibes for a safe recovery. 

...did actors even submit Emmy material? I felt like the submission period would have probably been forgotten in the midst of the pandemic. Maybe they submitted material back in February...?

Out of all the performances we've seen from January 2019 to January 2020... I guess I would want Nicole to win for best female performance. AZ did good and varied work. Or maybe Gabi.

I can't think of any of the guys being deserving of recognition, although I think Victor should be nominated every year because John Aniston is amazing.

Next year, Sarah should definitely get nominated because she's done a lot of good work in the last month or so in particular.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 3

Judi’s had so much this past year. The tragic loss of her son, who she adored and was so proud of i just send so many prayers.

And now this. I pray she recovers from her very serious injuries and am grateful they weren’t worse. Not that it matters deeply, but it sounds a bit weird btw a strange man was following her uncomfortably, so she and the horse went off their normal path? If it was a paparazzo, fan, or lecherous dude they need to be talked to about chasing her and spooking the horse. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

😞 😞 😞

....I can't even. Judi sending you good vibes for a safe recovery. 

...did actors even submit Emmy material? I felt like the submission period would have probably been forgotten in the midst of the pandemic. Maybe they submitted material back in February...?

Out of all the performances we've seen from January 2019 to January 2020... I guess I would want Nicole to win for best female performance. AZ did good and varied work. Or maybe Gabi.

I can't think of any of the guys being deserving of recognition, although I think Victor should be nominated every year because John Aniston is amazing.

Next year, Sarah should definitely get nominated because she's done a lot of good work in the last month or so in particular.

I agree about Linsey Godfrey(Sarah) she has done some great, emotional work recently worthy of nomination.  I also would put up Suzanne(Maggie) for some really emotional & intense scenes, she has made me cry.   I agree about John Aniston too.  Cant think of any other men, unless maybe Paul Telfer for taking his character on a redemption arc. 

• Love 5

Linsey Godfrey/Sarah, Susan Rogers/Maggie, and Bill Hayes/Doug have done amazing work this year! Doug is a character I don’t normally like given his always light or fluffy material; but he was so incredibly powerful this year during the Julie’s illness and Gabi scenes. I cried! He was so gracious and in the moment with his delivery and performance.  

Casey Moss/JJ was super good in his addiction and grief and suicidal scenes. He looked and acted like a completely different person that broke your heart. 

They all really elevated this shit! 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Doug Hayes and Linsey Godfrey and Suzanne Rodgers were robbed! 

Congrats to PT/Xander and CM/Will. 

Also, Congrats to Wally Kurth, I've always been a fan.  Also, Olivia Rose Keegan who did a great job with Claire's descent into madness.  Theia Megia was Hayley?  I found her a rather bland character. 

• Love 6

Oh gosh, my apologies, I also see that Chrishell Stause was nominated for Outstanding Guest Performer. There wasn't a tweet for that category based on what I'd seen, so congratulations to her as well!

• Love 3

I'm very happy for Wally. I've always been a fan. As I was watching today, I was thinking what a good job he does differentiating Justin from Ned on GH. Whichever character he's portraying, I always find him believable.

Also, happy for Paul Telfer.

I like Thaao, but not sure how he landed a Leading Actor nom.

Looks like being the town harpy buttinski paid off for SSH. <eye roll> I loathe that character.

• Love 5

Those nominations are horrible.  Look at that Lead Actor category.  And that Young Performer?  No.

I can’t even remember what these people could’ve been nominated for.  I guess I’ll be rooting for Wally Kurth.

• Love 1