Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

Camila made a point about the process of choosing the lead actresses and how it’s excluded Latina/WOC actresses in the past and CL got her ass handed to her because she tried to explain “competition” to CB instead of actually looking into what she was saying. Like is going to choose like. Obviously there are so few WOC even in daytime who are leads anyway that get the material. It’s a soap problem, not just an Emmy problem. 

My thoughts are she was so quick to respond to Camila’s post defending the process so other people were very quick to let her know about herself. 

• Love 3

Found this on another board...

Jason 47 updated the production schedule on his site  http://www.jason47.com/days/productionschedule.html

When Days went on Hiatus Nov 27th, they have filmed thru the episode that will air on August 26, 2020

Since they found out they were renewed before that I wonder if they filmed a possible ending and reworked that before the hiatus?

• Love 1

Well I guess it all depends on which date NBC wants to stop airing Days of Our Lives on. If they want, for the sake of history for the show to end before it's November 8th first episode anniversary, then they would bring them back to film some additional episodes through September, October and the start of November. But if they want the show off the air before the new fall season begins, that could mean any day at all would be its last episode, so they would probably just round up the cast and crew for X number of episodes and announce the final episode air date and leave it at that.

When do the seasons typically "start" and "stop" with Days anyway?

Something tells me, since everyone involved was swearing up and down that they were going to come back to do additional filming after the hiatus regardless of renewal or not, that Ron might have written up to a point where he could wrap the show up in two weeks time, leaving him plenty of wiggle room if the show is renewed.

Heck, it was pretty clear that for the last few years they were holding off on John and Marlena's wedding because they were never sure if the series was going to get cancelled or not. I'm guessing they're saving some story ideas for the big finale in a similar fashion, but as long as the show keeps getting renewed they're probably going to have to pull the trigger on some of those ideas (no pun intended).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Mid-September.  Specifically, this season started on Sep. 23.  When NBC decides to cancel DOOL, its last air date will likely be in Sep.

I get what Camila Banus is going for, and while I don't blame her for being angry at the lack of Latinx daytime representation in terms of nominations, going all McShouty and angry on Twitter does not seem like the wise way to try and change things. (In my humble opinion.) How? I don't know.

Bingo.  No one knows how to solve racism but unfortunately, that often leads to focusing on whether or not how people protest is wrong rather than getting real about what the right steps would actually be.  The truth is, it probably takes a little bit of everything from  yelling to silence.

What Camila did might not make things better but is it really going to make things worse?  No nominations before to none after?  At worst, a zero sum act. As long as she doesn't Gina Rodriguez her complaints, I have no problem with how she's doing it.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

No one knows how to solve racism but unfortunately, that often leads to focusing on whether or not how people protest is wrong rather than getting real about what the right steps would actually be.

Yup. Because the former is a much easier conversation to have than the latter.

Good for Camila Banus. She has a platform, she's using it, and at least a few people will listen.

• Love 7
On 12/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

Since they found out they were renewed before that I wonder if they filmed a possible ending and reworked that before the hiatus?

The previous renewal was until September 18, 2020, when the *season* ends.  There is probably some type of story bible which cites things that should happen in the final weeks, but it seems unlikely that actual scripts would have been written, especially since the cast, crew, and management have known about the break for almost 6 months, per the Freddie Smith podcasts.

On 12/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, DisneyBoy said:

It seems that the show has migrated to a *start* in September, when the traditional fall network season begins.  I am basing this on how the episodes are numbered in the various on-demand programs.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

So this is really interesting, because part of Corday's lawsuit against Sony had to do with Sony not seeking to distribute the show internationally. Every little bit has to help when it comes to increasing revenue streams.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yeah it really is. New Years Day is forever ruined for me because my mother passed on that day. Oddly enough last Friday was my brother's birthday though.

Thanksgiving is ruined for me for pretty much the same reason since my Mom died the day after. This year that anniversary fell on Thanksgiving Day. Since my Mom was in hospice and the indicators that the end was near started while an aid was here and I had been watching the Macy's Parade so it's hard to even try to watch that too. In the past four years I've been able to watch it once and that wasn't even this year. 

I feel so awful for Judi. I remember her being pregnant on AW which doesn't feel all that long ago even though it kinda was. I was looking at her son's Linkedin which popped up when searching his name and it indicated that he began a new job in Oct. so it's seeming like whatever happened may have been sudden.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, Irlandesa said:

No one knows how to solve racism but unfortunately, that often leads to focusing on whether or not how people protest is wrong rather than getting real about what the right steps would actually be.  The truth is, it probably takes a little bit of everything from  yelling to silence.

Whoa, some wise words here, Irlandesa - you could have a future in politics 🙂

Holy shit, poor Judi and her husband. I'm not sure I'd survive losing my daughter with my mind intact. White light headed their way. 

• Love 4

I wonder if she'll come back after the filming break. I don't expect it and she should do what she needs to, but she's a personal fave and I'm pulling for her.

2 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

Whoa, some wise words here, Irlandesa

Agreed. I really think you articulated that perfectly.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wonder if she'll come back after the filming break. I don't expect it and she should do what she needs to, but she's a personal fave and I'm pulling for her.

Agreed. I really think you articulated that perfectly.

I guess it would depend on if her character is in a major storyline maybe working may help. However I don't expect her to return anytime soon regardless. Its not as if she's on the show that much.

My heart is breaking for Judi. Losing a child is tragic enough, but at this time of the year it makes it so much worse. 7 years ago my best friend lost her daughter and only child to a heart condition on 12/22. Till this day she and her husband can't decorate and can barely listen to Christmas music.  

18 hours ago, howmanywords said:

My heart is breaking for Judi. Losing a child is tragic enough, but at this time of the year it makes it so much worse. 7 years ago my best friend lost her daughter and only child to a heart condition on 12/22. Till this day she and her husband can't decorate and can barely listen to Christmas music.  

OH, I don't think they ever will again, either. I was in a fatal dormitory fire in college, 42 years ago, and it occurred on December 13. I was one of a very few who escaped on my own. To this day I can't do anything for the holiday until that day has passed, and it wasn't until this year with my new grand daughter that I feel any spirit at all. It's amazing what a baby can do, but more to the point -- those tragedies are always with us, and we just somehow grin and bear it for those around us. 

ETA: Sorry to add such sad stuff here -- I didn't mean to affect anyone else.  Just been on my mind lately as I said. Cheers my friends : )

Edited by Lastwaltz
more thoughts without a new post
  • Love 4

As horrible as the loss of Judi's child is, I can at least take some comfort that she has her husband/family/friends to lean on.  As a side note, my birthday is Dec. 13th and I feel terrible that I had such a lovely day while Judi's going through such turmoil and it's been ten years since my father passed and we still have a hard time dealing with Labor Day--his death date was Sept. 2nd.

Not to be trite, but I think this is a very supportive group of soap fans--you are all the best 🙂

• Love 12
2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

As horrible as the loss of Judi's child is, I can at least take some comfort that she has her husband/family/friends to lean on.  As a side note, my birthday is Dec. 13th and I feel terrible that I had such a lovely day while Judi's going through such turmoil and it's been ten years since my father passed and we still have a hard time dealing with Labor Day--his death date was Sept. 2nd.

Not to be trite, but I think this is a very supportive group of soap fans--you are all the best 🙂

Oddly enough my grandmother passed on Sept 3 but that was 11 years ago. I didn't know her that well but I find it really eerie how many birthdays/death anniversaries etc happened around these days for the posters here.

• Love 1

From Michael Fairman's site ......

Greg Vaughan and Angie Harmon Get Engaged on Christmas.

Days of our Lives Daytime Emmy-winning actor, Greg Vaughan (Eric Brady) certainly had a surprise for his gal, Angie Harmon over the Christmas holiday.

Harmon, the former Rizzoli and Isles star, was in shock and in pure joy when Vaughan proposed to her on one knee during their Christmas gathering with his three sons and her three daughters present.

Vaughan re-posted the Christmas photos of  the proposal to Angie, along with his sons and her kids, following the engagement where he expressed: “Well…that was FUN!!!  Repost @angieharmon Marry, Marry Christmas!!  #moderndaybradybunch #blessed #grateful #family #christmas2019 Wishing you all the most wonderful holiday from our family to yours!”

Greg was previously married to Dutch actress Touriya Haoud from 2006 to 2014.  They share three children sons; Jathan, Cavan and Landan  Harmon has three daughters: Emery, Avery and Finley.

• Love 2

As much as people seem to be annoyed with Eric Brady these days, I really hope Greg sticks around on the show. And I hope this new marriage doesn't cause any problems on that front. Wasn't his ex-wife trying to get him to move or something in the divorce?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

As much as people seem to be annoyed with Eric Brady these days, I really hope Greg sticks around on the show. And I hope this new marriage doesn't cause any problems on that front. Wasn't his ex-wife trying to get him to move or something in the divorce?

I don't know.   I thought it was related to Angie as I think she (and Greg) basically live in one of the Carolinas.

Given the way they tape,  I'm not sure it'd be a problem.   He's not the only cast member who lives outside of CA.  Missy lives in TN.  Matt lives in NH and, like I said, I believe Greg lives in NC.  I also think Ari lives in TN but I might be wrong about that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Lastwaltz said:

What? One of my favorites lives in the state just above mine? 

Yeah.  I remember reading something about it when he came back.  He had just moved with his family. (I could be wrong about the state but I am pretty sure it was NH.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Unlike GH I think Days actually likes GV/Eric  so I doubt he's going anywhere at least with Ron writing. I don't think Dena liked him though.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  I remember reading something about it when he came back.  He had just moved with his family. (I could be wrong about the state but I am pretty sure it was NH.)

I just love knowing this, lol, thanks! 

• Love 1

The long-assed taping schedule strikes again, but this itself is nice (that they keep in touch!): In an interview with Nicolas Coster, who played Lionel Lockridge on the late, great soap Santa Barbara, he spoke of that show's recent reunion cruise and how his TV wife, Louise Sorel, who played Lionel's wife Augusta, could not make the cruise. But he then confirmed that she is returning to Days as Vivian in July 2020.

So I'm sure we'll forget 1,000 times before that...but still, nice interview and good news. Robin Strasser is a fine actress. But she was all wrong for Vivian Alamain.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The long-assed taping schedule strikes again, but this itself is nice (that they keep in touch!): In an interview with Nicolas Coster, who played Lionel Lockridge on the late, great soap Santa Barbara, he spoke of that show's recent reunion cruise and how his TV wife, Louise Sorel, who played Lionel's wife Augusta, could not make the cruise.

Thanks for posting @WendyCR72.  I didn't watch any of the soaps he was in, but I know the actor from other stuff.  It was just a fun, casual interview.  Very cool.

• Love 1

Maybe they'll be smart....make BB a Stefan lookalike, have Vivian freak out and think he's her son, only for him not to be.... sending her into anger overdrive....

That'd be the best way to play it. Cause Stefan was a nasty guy. And he literally has no heart.

But YAY that Louise is coming back. Love her.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, bannana said:

Thanks for posting @WendyCR72.  I didn't watch any of the soaps he was in, but I know the actor from other stuff.  It was just a fun, casual interview.  Very cool.

You're very welcome, @bannana! In terms of non-soap stuff, I also remember Mr. Coster from Betsy's Wedding, a cute little movie that was supposedly about Molly Ringwald's character's wedding with Coster as her prospective father-in-law (but highly overshadowed - IMHO! - by Ally Sheedy [who played Betsy's cop sister] and Anthony LaPaglia, nephew of a mobster that falls for Sheedy's character. Alan Alda and Madeline Kahn played the parents and it also had Catherine O'Hara and Joe Pesci in it.) While the movie wasn't the best, as I said, it was cute enough with great actors.

• Love 3