Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

So it'll be what?  All the vets and Lani?

I rolled!

2 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

I'm sorry for repeating this in multiple threads now, but I'd have to think they'll have agreements in writing that the actors they want for when production starts again will sign new contracts in the spring. 

That's a good point.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, QueenSerena said:

If Chandler's tweet is any indication, it seems the cast had advance knowledge and is on board with it, so that should be a positive when it comes time to get the actors back on board.

Considering we fans have known about this long hiatus for months, I can't imagine that the actors and crew wouldn't have been aware this was coming up. After all someone had to leak the news to the fanbase.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think that's the thing. I actually think the show probably will come back but I can't imagine all or even a majority of the actors will come back. I mean, that's a long time to be jobless so presumably most of them will find other work and likely decide they'd rather stuck with that then come back on what would probably be a huge pay cut. But who knows, plenty of actors have left before thinking they were gonna get something better and then came right back lol.

My spec:

ONE:  I think most of the younger actors will try to be active in pilot season.  If anyone actually lands a pilot, it'll be the worst actor among them.  But hey, bye bye Ben!  His show (CW, of course) will be quickly cancelled.

TWO: One or two actors will get poached by another soap.  Perhaps one vet, like Galen, and then another who will return to a role they had previously. (I'm thinking Lindsay Godfrey going back to B&B even though her character there is dead.)

THREE: I think most of the vets care more about working than salary.  Not that they don't want to be paid.  They do but as long as they can live on the salary DOOL will pay, they'll work.  I also think there will be fewer contracts.

FINALLY: I think this is all being done for a potential move to Peacock, NBC's streaming service.  I don't know if it'll happen next year but Corday might be trying to get his ducks in a row to make the switch easier.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Forgive me for repeating this post in multiple threads:

Given that the contract situation affects everyone, it's not really spoiler casting info.   Let's consolidate the talk in the Behind The Scenes thread for now, please. 

If DOOL is renewed and we hear about who will continue with the show, then that can be brought to the Casting thread or spoilers thread.  

Thank you! 

• Love 1

Camila said this today:

CAMILA BANUS COMMENTS ON TODAY'S NEWS..."I HAVE NOT BEEN FIRED. NEITHER HAVE ANY OF MY CO-STARS, SO YOU GUYS RELAX"

Camila Banus (Gabi) posted a video on Periscope earlier today. In it, Banus states this: "All these articles, with headlines saying that our show's being axed, that we have all been fired is bs...I have not been fired from Days of Our Lives. That is ridiculous. None of my co-stars have been fired from the show. For articles, for TMZ to be putting that we have been fired, that we have been let go is ridiculous and fake, false news. And it's shameful."

"The way that these articles are being written, that is ridiculous and slanderous and false. We are very, very ahead in shooting. We always take a hiatus for Christmas, but because we are so ahead, we are taking it before. Again, I have not been fired. Neither have any of my co-stars, so you guys relax."

"We are not going on hiatus to catch up [with how far ahead the show tapes]. We are going on hiatus to go on hiatus. That's just our regular break for Thanksgiving and for Christmas, but because we are so much ahead, we are just going on hiatus a couple of weeks before..,It's not that big of a deal...Don't believe everything that you read."

Jason47, unlike most articles today, told "Days" fans to calm down. Hopefully this additional video from Camila Banus will help with that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think that's the thing. I actually think the show probably will come back but I can't imagine all or even a majority of the actors will come back. I mean, that's a long time to be jobless so presumably most of them will find other work and likely decide they'd rather stuck with that then come back on what would probably be a huge pay cut. But who knows, plenty of actors have left before thinking they were gonna get something better and then came right back lol.

The unemployment rate among actors is roughly 90%.

A gig paying a few grand a week is decidedly better than driving for uber or taking beverage orders behind a bar

• Love 6

I like the size but don’t give a shit if Elani and Cin go. The first one is Snoresville and the other are smug AF and assholes about it. I’m also glad Haley is gone. 

I also don’t care if John Aniston isn’t asked back/forced into retirement by pay cut. He can barely walk or stand and his daughter  can support him if necessary. He should enjoy his life or write a book or something. I’m tired of his character saying women are whores or worthless trash all the time. 

• Love 8

I doubt Camila Banus  will return. 

She haa improved alot and it wouldnt surprise me if she got a prime time gig in the pipeline. 

I can see her exiting to try her luck in Prime time tv.  

33 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I like the size but don’t give a shit if Elani and Cin go. The first one is Snoresville and the other are smug AF and assholes about it. I’m also glad Haley is gone. 

I also don’t care if John Aniston isn’t asked back/forced into retirement by pay cut. He can barely walk or stand and his daughter  can support him if necessary. He should enjoy his life or write a book or something. I’m tired of his character saying women are whores or worthless trash all the time. 

Im also concerned about the man's health.its not like he needs the gig .his networth is a cool 15 milliondollars the last time I checked. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 3

ED/ex-Kristen made well over a million dollars a year just on soap acting not counting her books and other shit. I just know that because that was her reported union scale for a salary match they did for like 2 just months work for Real Housewives. 👀 (when you are union and have a contract it’s very difficult for an employer to get lower wage)

Alrhough I don’t want to see any of the other vets go....I’m not gonna worry about their well being unlike the younger cast who lost their contracts and income right before the holidays. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rafael said:

Im also concerned about the man's health.its not like he needs the gig .his networth is a cool 15 milliondollars the last time I checked. 

John Aniston is recurring, meaning that he has no contract.  He made this decision several years ago.  He enjoys working, as do many older folks.  And many fans have enjoyed watching him for 35 years.  And still do.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

....I’m not gonna worry about their well being unlike the younger cast who lost their contracts and income right before the holidays. 

If the actor has a contract, it will be honored.  The original clickbait article mis-stated the situation wildly.

If a person chooses to work in a competitive profession with 90% unemployment, that's their choice.  The actors have known about the "dark months" for at least 3-4 months.  Heck, we have known about it for at least two months.  This will be a great opportunity for them to audition for features or prime time.  And they can be wildly successful, like Blake Berris or Trevor Donovan or Kyler Pettis or Rachel Melvin or Kristen Renton or Molly Burnett or Casey Diedrick or any of the dozens of other younger actors who have passed through Salem in the past couple decades.

Negativity aside, hopefully some of them will book a few lines in a Lifetime or Hallmark movie, or land a commercial.  Or travel. Or grab an acting class. 

Being an actor is highly competitive.  NBC won't announce the future of DOOL until early 2020.  The show has gotten a slew of 1-year renewals, so the entire cast knows that each year could be its last.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 6

I think they meant it as sarcasm. As in, "they're wildly successful...but...um..where's that success again?"

I don't think Petunia's comments are meant to be as harsh as they came off regarding John A. One of the best things for a senior's mind is regular stimulation, so memorizing lines and reciting them is actually really good activity. If John just wants to come in one day a month and record a few quick scenes, I'm more than fine with that. I just hope that if he starts to decline cognitively, the show won't make it as obvious as it was with Joe that he's reading off of cue cards.

Frankly, if the producers have any brains at all, they will already have an exit storyline in mind and prepped and ready to go at a moment's notice. As grim as that sounds, they were obviously caught with their pants down when Joe was no longer able to film regularly as Stefano. His exit storyline has reached laughable proportions of stupidity and reeks of poor planning. I hope they've learned and prepped something suitably grand and respectful for Victor's eventual exit.

I've noticed he hasn't done as much slut shaming this year as he used to in the past. I think the producers have wisely curtailed that impulse of his.

I just hope Kimberly, Theresa and Philip get some more screen time with him before it's too late.

• Love 6

I think the cast is doing a disservice to be do dismissive of this. I remember AMC and OLTL fans were fooled. Especially OLTL which kept rising in the ratings until it went off the air. Then when they returned for streaming, ratings were good on OWN and Hulu, but the production company didn't have any money. Of course the cast didn't know that and when they got released from their contracts they were convinced they'd be coming back. Another good one is Port Charles which filmed six months in advance and was canceled without a chance to film final episodes. If anything they should be rallying people because you truly don't know what's going to happen. Corday is already suing Sony and is running out of money according to his own lawsuit. I think NBC may want to keep it, but you have a lot of things to consider that don't make it a sure thing. If Sony pulls out, will NBC or Corday foot the bill?

I feel their best bet is being moved to Peacock or another steep budget cut to stay on NBC. If I were the cast I'd definitely be trying to work in my time off. Now if the show is renewed of course come back if you can, but they can't pass up pilot season when the future is so up in the air. If it's canceled it's gonna be sudden, so I'm not sure why they're acting like NBC is going to be up front with them.

• Love 6

His character is a misogynist. And sits in chairs 99.9 percent of the time. 

FWIW my ethnicity has a v short life expectancy. I’m used to people retiring or being having difficulty like him by their 50s.

I also know many people work into their 70s and 80s and are as vital and attractive and more “with it” or cool than people less than half their age. I worked one, a famous lawyer in Chicago . And think of David Canary, from AMC, who think was the best actor in daytime history slammed dunked his material until the end. He was a tremendous loss. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

I think the cast is doing a disservice to be do dismissive of this. I remember AMC and OLTL fans were fooled. Especially OLTL which kept rising in the ratings until it went off the air

I agree. I appreciate them trying to calm the fans down but I've been down this road. I bet they arent even hearing the full story themselves. I remember with with Susan Lucci she didn't find out they were getting canceled until like a couple of days before the official announcement was made and that was only because Agnese Nixon wanted to prepare her. 

• Love 5

If this show gets cancelled I’m gonna be high key pissed off!! 😤Y&R sucks and I don’t like GH. I can’t just have one soap/telenovela (B&B). 

I still think it’s shitty they canceled the actors and crews contracts,  before the holidays. How many lighting or stage people were counting on that income? And think the cast like Camila are towing the company line. 

• Love 5

And in Martinsville now less that's pretty rock bottom (or close to it) yeah I know his wife's family is from there. I'm surprised it hit the press only because his wife is a Pedigo and they are a well connected racing family who could've easily buried this.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, KnotsLanding said:

I think the cast is doing a disservice to be do dismissive of this. I remember AMC and OLTL fans were fooled. Especially OLTL which kept rising in the ratings until it went off the air. Then when they returned for streaming, ratings were good on OWN and Hulu, but the production company didn't have any money. Of course the cast didn't know that and when they got released from their contracts they were convinced they'd be coming back. Another good one is Port Charles which filmed six months in advance and was canceled without a chance to film final episodes. If anything they should be rallying people because you truly don't know what's going to happen. Corday is already suing Sony and is running out of money according to his own lawsuit. I think NBC may want to keep it, but you have a lot of things to consider that don't make it a sure thing. If Sony pulls out, will NBC or Corday foot the bill?

I feel their best bet is being moved to Peacock or another steep budget cut to stay on NBC. If I were the cast I'd definitely be trying to work in my time off. Now if the show is renewed of course come back if you can, but they can't pass up pilot season when the future is so up in the air. If it's canceled it's gonna be sudden, so I'm not sure why they're acting like NBC is going to be up front with them.

I think the thing to hold on to is that this break has been planned for some time now. They were always going to take 3-4 months off, starting before Thanksgiving, and then come back to film the remaining episodes in their current renewal. They're hoping to receive good news over the break that they'll get another renewal, of course. If the source (or sources? I don't recall if it was one or more, just off the top of my head) in the People article is legit, the show is already negotiating with NBC on a renewal and it looks favorable as of right now.

The contract situation sounds scary, but it's being done so that Corday Productions aren't paying people for not working over the extended break. Some of the actors actually will be paid into December, January & even February as their current 13-week contract cycles lapse, while the crew (and likely the writers) will not have that luxury. Then, presumably a month or two before production resumes, they'll start the re-signing process. Whenever the show is no longer viable on NBC TV, I agree, I think Peacock will be the landing spot. But it doesn't seem to me that they're at that point yet, even though the show has impeachment hearings and a whole bunch of other factors working against them. NBC has a lot to cleanup yet in their daytime lineup, so it wouldn't surprise me if they still see Days as a safe bet (for now).

• Love 6

I don't think the cast is doing a disservice. I think they're sharing what they truly believe or have been told.  If they're being lied to, they're being lied to.  Their experience/livelihood/hope is to trust what their bosses are telling them. A soap fan's experience is different and I understand the cynical perspective but I don't think it's the actors' responsibility to share that cynicism. 

It's probably not as drastic as some of the headlines indicate but it's also probably not as worry free as some of the actors seem to think it is.

It's pretty clear this is about not paying the actors over the hiatus. If it were about cancellation, NBC would just cancel them and it wouldn't make sense to take such a long break.  That's not to say it won't be cancelled because if NBC were certain about it, the renewal would have already taken place. 

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

If this show gets cancelled I’m gonna be high key pissed off!! 😤Y&R sucks and I don’t like GH. I can’t just have one soap/telenovela (B&B). 

I still think it’s shitty they canceled the actors and crews contracts,  before the holidays. How many lighting or stage people were counting on that income? And think the cast like Camila are towing the company line. 

Its obvious Kristian ,Camilla and Chandler are trying to downplay this situation . There is a hint of denialsm as well. 

The show has been on life support ever  since the Melaswen/Alex North debacle . These actors should be very concerned because the show has gone through one reboot after another ever since the  Salem Stalker storyline . None of the reboots gave the show the shot in the arm it needs. The salem stalker storyline was a success ratings wise but that was ruined by the Melaswen debacle. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Rafael said:

Corday needs to fire Carlivati right about now!!! 

So that the new headwriter can use this hiatus period to fix Carlivati's mess . 

Who knows, maybe he will fire him before the hiatus is over. But for now, they have time to see whether ratings rebound from the time jump or not, so it would feel premature to fire him right now.

• Love 5

The DOOL App has posted a video clip of Mickey Horton's breakdown in honor of John Clarke's passing. Wow, real acting and storytelling! This was before my time, but it was great seeing so many old-time characters even if the living room looked very dated. The story made that easy to overlook!

Also saw on the app that the scene of Isabella dying in John's arms in Italy is on there. If I need a good cry, I may just have to re-watch that. I remember being in my dorm room when it originally aired, sobbing my little RoJohn/Isabella fangirl heart out...

• Love 8
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I  can see why RC/the cast are annoyed by the press tbh. But if they do end up getting cancelled though, it's gonna be kind of hilariously embarrassing for them lol.

Yeah and TMZ is doubling down on this despite it so honestly it makes me wonder if they may not be officially cancelled but its getting to that point(I mean yeah its already there but like if the ratings don't go up during this TJ this show is gone) 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yeah and TMZ is doubling down on this despite it so honestly it makes me wonder if they may not be officially cancelled but its getting to that point(I mean yeah its already there but like if the ratings don't go up during this TJ this show is gone) 

I think the show is cancelled. Fans are not stupid and some of us have been down this road  before with All My Children and One Life to Live.  Not to mention, Ron's stories have turned off alot of the fans..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I think the show is cancelled. Fans are not stupid and some of us have been down this road  before with All My Children and One Life to Live.  Not to mention, Ron's stories have turned off alot of the fans..

I do too but they're going to wait till a few months from now to officially announce it probably because they're probably going to want as many old time characters who are still around to return for one last hurrah.  That takes time to set up.

I know people say Days has done this before but this time it was publically announced sure a part of me could see this as a PR stunt to get people to watch the TJ but the TJ hasn't been heavily promoted either so when people do tune in they're going to realize they missed a lot and the show lost its former glory a long time ago.

It will be interesting to see the ratings are for this week. If they don't go up after this week there's nothing left to save the show.

Not true. NBC needs content for their Peacock streaming service and DAYS has a built-in audience. Whether they know how to subscribe to a streaming service is another issue, LOL. I sure don't....and I'm not even in my 60s.

I could see them gutting the cast down to 20 youngins and the two DHs, and filming 21 minute episodes for Peacock, post August 2020 series broadcast finale. (I would prefer the series continue as it has, of course).

But could they cancel completely - sure. The thing is NBC might just need the show to stick around until a better option presents itself.

• Love 3

Sure but they could just use old vintage Days episodes if possible and put that on the streaming service that would probably get more people to want to watch than the current version of the show.

I get what you're saying the TV version of the show could end and then they could just be an online version of a soap but they tried that with AMC/OLTL and it didn't work then either. Soaps had an intergenerational audience which really isn't there anymore... I got into soaps because my mom was watching them but you aren't going to get a younger person to watch it on its own otherwise. Not with so many options of entertainment available etc. Soaps never adapted to the current times and it has killed the genre.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Not true. NBC needs content for their Peacock streaming service and DAYS has a built-in audience. Whether they know how to subscribe to a streaming service is another issue, LOL. I sure don't....and I'm not even in my 60s.

I could see them gutting the cast down to 20 youngins and the two DHs, and filming 21 minute episodes for Peacock, post August 2020 series broadcast finale. (I would prefer the series continue as it has, of course).

But could they cancel completely - sure. The thing is NBC might just need the show to stick around until a better option presents itself.

International is the ticket. Brad Bell has the number one soap in the US and world and made a fortune syndicating internationally. Bell was already wealthy from his parents (his house and Lauralee Bell’s mansion are the size of hotels, she didn’t make that all from Y&R). I think the foreign audience that loves Days would buy the streaming or he could stream it for free with commercials and ads or product placements. I know tons of people in other countries love Days and American soaps. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The only way the show gets canceled is if Corday no longer wants to produce it.  That's quite possible, particularly if he loses the Sony lawsuit.

The filming hiatus also gives him a chance to totally re-invent the daytime process, moving it more toward staffing/production models used in primetime and by streaming services.  With all the money being tossed around to find the next "big hit" show, it seems odd that there wouldn't be someone with deep pockets who would love to buy into a product with a 50-year history, millions of hardcore fans, and a profitable business model.

Why do we even have Episode Guarantees?  Presumably this was to keep actors from fleeing to better opportunities?   Maybe that whole concept gets thrown out the window and actors are hired for a set period of time.

It was only about a decade ago that DOOL even really began to operate by "seasons".  Sure, storylines would always peak during Sweeps. But do sweeps even matter to the networks or to advertisers any more.  ABC and FOX have already started tracking success of a progam based on 35-day viewing.  That's right, a whole month -plus.  Which is how TV works on the edge of 2020.

And why use only newbies?  There's not exactly huge demand for any of the over-40 cast members.  They'll use the actors that are recognizable and affordable.

I see no reason to be pessimistic.  If Corday loses the Sony suit, then my mind may change.  If the Today Show were running on full cylinder and scoring huge ratings, I might worry about Hour #5.  That isn't happening anytime soon.  NBC isn't going to just hand back an hour to the affiliates.  The Kelly Clarkson Show is the only syndicated program launched in the past decade to get any traction.  And we will see what happens to her after her initial two-season commitment.

In the end, we can all speculate and theorize.  No one really knows.  If this message board had historical postings, we could probably search the posts from the 90s, the 2000s, and even 5 years ago which cited the imminent Doom of DOOL.  There are always a legion of doomsayers.  Someday they will be right.

I still expect to see DOOL at Season 60.  

And then some.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I get what you're saying the TV version of the show could end and then they could just be an online version of a soap but they tried that with AMC/OLTL and it didn't work then either. 

That didn't work primarily because of the PP/ABC lawsuit and drama, not because they weren't finding an audience.

4 minutes ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

In the end, we can all speculate and theorize.  No one really knows.  If this message board had historical postings, we could probably search the posts from the 90s, the 2000s, and even 5 years ago which cited the imminent Doom of DOOL.  There are always a legion of doomsayers.  Someday they will be right.

I still expect to see DOOL at Season 60.  

And then some.

I've been on GH message boards for ages now. There's always people who are dead certain the show will be cancelled any day now and that was even before AMC & OLTL got cancelled. Sure, the show(s) could be cancelled soon but it's still weird to see people who are so sure of it saying the same thing year after year...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SanDiegoInExile said:

The only way the show gets canceled is if Corday no longer wants to produce it.  That's quite possible, particularly if he loses the Sony lawsuit.

<snip>

That NY Times article that my favorite goofball (Chandler) referenced in his tweet above included this in their reporting - obviously the deal with Sony won't be terminated, but hopefully this means they'll get a few bucks from Sony that can go to the cast/crew/sets/etc.:

...A person close to the show, though, said that “Days of Our Lives” had not been canceled, and that Sony and NBC were in negotiations to renew it for its 56th season.

...In addition to seeking the termination of its distribution agreement, Corday wanted at least $20 million in damages for lost profits, as well as damages for fraud and breach of contract.

Lawyers for both Sony and Corday declined to comment on Wednesday. But a recent court filing shows that the two sides have entered into settlement negotiations to resolve the conflict.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

That didn't work primarily because of the PP/ABC lawsuit and drama, not because they weren't finding an audience.

I've been on GH message boards for ages now. There's always people who are dead certain the show will be cancelled any day now and that was even before AMC & OLTL got cancelled. Sure, the show(s) could be cancelled soon but it's still weird to see people who are so sure of it saying the same thing year after year...

GH should've been cancelled ages ago I check up on it every once in a while but it will never stop being the Sonny/Jason/Carly trinity of suck until it gets cancelled. 

As much as I rag on Days at least it writes for more than 3 characters... even if the stories are terrible.

However ABC owns GH, NBC doesn't own Days, Corday does unfortunately unless he gets a bigger budget how is the show going to get better... at this point they're just trying to keep the lights on.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Saturday Night Live's opening last night was called "Days of Our Impeachment".  I won't link it here because it's political, but if you look for it, you can watch it elsewhere.

It was So Funny!  Great PR for "DAYS" also.

• Love 4