Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

I wonder if the break is because they seem to keep going faster than the shows are airing. 

Four months would still leave a four month gap between filming and airing.  That'll help a little to catch up with what the audience wants but, for the most part, most stories are told and mostly over after four months. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I wonder if the break is because they seem to keep going faster than the shows are airing. 

Four months would still leave a four month gap between filming and airing.  That'll help a little to catch up with what the audience wants but, for the most part, most stories are told and mostly over after four months. 

If that were the case why wasn't this done sooner?  They're going to be on till Sept 2020 beyond that who knows if they're already filming June 2020 that's 3 months that could possibly be the end of the show....

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

If that were the case why wasn't this done sooner?  They're going to be on till Sept 2020 beyond that who knows if they're already filming June 2020 that's 3 months that could possibly be the end of the show....

I don't know. I don't know why they do anything.  Maybe it's because they don't have an official renewal yet.  Maybe it's because they realized their timelines were getting ridiculous and it felt like a good time to give them a break over the holidays? Maybe they're moving studios.

And if they're taking a break at the end of November, they will likely have filmed June, maybe July and part of August by the time they break.  In other words, they're not giving themselves three months.  They might only be giving themselves a few weeks--if that. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I don't know. I don't know why they do anything.  Maybe it's because they don't have an official renewal yet.  Maybe it's because they realized their timelines were getting ridiculous and it felt like a good time to give them a break over the holidays? Maybe they're moving studios.

I don't think Days are moving studios but I did read on another board that a possible reason for this long a hiatus is because its dependent on whether Days gets renewed or not. That makes sense no point in filming episodes if the show isn't going beyond Sept 2020.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I did read on another board that a possible reason for this long a hiatus is because its dependent on whether Days gets renewed or not.

Right. I edited that into my response.  At the end of Nov, they'd likely be filming July/Aug episodes and the new season usually starts in September. They'd be filming episodes they might not get paid for which Sony sure as heck won't want to do because then the cost is all theirs.  We got the renewal for this season in Jan.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I don't think Days are moving studios but I did read on another board that a possible reason for this long a hiatus is because its dependent on whether Days gets renewed or not. That makes sense no point in filming episodes if the show isn't going beyond Sept 2020.

I read elsewhere that it won't affect a potential renewal or cancellation, lol. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Basically, if they don't take a bunch of time off, they're going to blow past September 2020, when anything beyond that point could end up being canned as @Irlandesa pointed out. That's another reason I'm hoping they'll slooooooow down and give the actors a chance to work each day rather than rushing through everything.

It had slipped my mind, but next year being an Olympics year could result in them losing at least a couple weeks' worth of shows to scheduled preemptions. NBC is moving towards showing more Olympics events live because their tape-delayed coverage routinely got shit on, but could easily choose to re-air events that happened overnight here during daytime hours. It hasn't been determined yet. They're not supposed to need to move to a new studio for like 3 more years, if the rent gets unreasonable at that point, based on the timeline for renovations at the Burbank studio.

I don't have a clue why they waited until now. I've also read elsewhere that the producers regret their Stefan decision (even though the feedback at the time was way less than positive); maybe there have been other instances since getting 7-8 months ahead where they could have tweaked a few things to improve various stories. Maybe specific parts of their lawsuit against Sony being allowed to proceed bought them some leverage. But the whole thing was just a product of this cost-saving measure that gradually made the tape-to-air gap ridiculous. This scheduling approach started around 2011-12, right? I think the longest production break they took prior to this one was 8-10 weeks, so there was no real chance to bring it back to a more reasonable gap.

It makes me wonder if they think their renewal chances are pretty good. Because you're right, it makes no sense to take such a long hiatus if they're only coming back to film, what, a month's worth of episodes at most? NBC continues to have to do damage control with the Today Show. There's also the new NBC streaming service that will launch next spring; that would presumably be an option if Days is moved off traditional tv, because they are going to need a lot of content and it's been announced there will be original programming housed there. Maybe they'll be okay if they just keep plugging along and don't rock the boat with the network.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5

I high key hate the Olympics since it means missing my shows for almost month or whatever. It was awful when Passions was on and Days so I lost 2 shows. I feel like at one the time Passions halted in the middle in a meaty story with Theresa and Days had Sami up to some fuckshit before hiatus so it was especially annoying. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Well I don't think they'll know until we hear whether it comes back or not from Nov 2019 through April 2020 they are not taping they already filmed June 2020. So if they find out they won't return then they'll return to film the last remaining episodes of the show.

I do wonder if they are renewed (which usually is around the New Year will they return to taping earlier than April 2020?)

• Useful 1

I tend to think that if they're canceled, they'll be back sooner than planned. But if they're renewed, they'll probably wait until March-April to return to production. I'm basing that off of a discussion between Martha and Freddie on his podcast this week, where they mentioned a 2-4 month break. I think they do want to reduce the tape-to-air gap moving forward, but it's really only going to matter if they get the renewal (in whatever form that may be, NBC's streaming platform may end up being an option).

• Love 1
10 hours ago, MsTree said:

Speaking of the large tape-to-air gap, does anyone know when (year) this started and why it started?? Just curious.

I had guessed 2011-12 above, but I'm thinking it might have actually been closer to 2010. From what I recall, they had huge budget cuts in 2007 and then again in 2009. They determined that taking more dark weeks saved money in the long run. They also decided to cut some of the things that really help out the actors; they initiated the one take policy back then, but they've more recently removed rehearsal and blocking time with the crew (the actors basically have to figure it out on their own or with the help of the acting coach, but to my knowledge the director & camera crew are not involved until everyone is on set and ready to film). They clearly cut down on the number of sets - hello, blue room! Taking down and moving sets takes up time and money, so they do everything they can to go with the sets that are already set up and ready to go.

So they squeeze in more filming while in production, and despite taking at least one dark week each month, eventually they just got further and further and further ahead. They hadn't been able to take a longer break to catch back up on the tape-to-air gap because the crew could only be inactive for so long. It's a union rule of some sort. But something clearly changed this time, and I'm not sure what it is exactly. I like to think they have everything figured out in order to keep all of the cast and crew in place for when they return after the new year (whenever they do return), but we'll find out soon enough lol.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mercado-on-tv-with-ken-corday-us-exec-producer-days-of-our-lives/

Within weeks, the show is promoting it will do something that has never been done before in daytime. “Let’s just say that the Friday cliffhanger is so gobsmacking, we are now trying to figure out how we can possibly top it for our 55th anniversary next year.” Corday teases that we should look to how This Is Us goes forwards and backwards in time. “It’s also a chance to bring back a few characters to the show,” he said, but Bo (Peter Reckell) will not be one of them. “He is happily settled in Indiana and not coming back to Hollywood.” Another debunked tabloid tale is Jennifer Aniston appearing alongside her dad for John Aniston’s (Victor Kiriakis) last episode. “He is not leaving,” laughed Corday. “But we are always talking to Jennifer, so you never know.”

• Love 2
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I was gonna say they should do a tribute episode (even though the character is already dead) but we wouldn't see it for another 6 months so why bother. I remember his daughter was on the show, too.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I was gonna say they should do a tribute episode (even though the character is already dead) but we wouldn't see it for another 6 months so why bother. I remember his daughter was on the show, too.

Maybe Maggie and/or Sarah can bring up an anniversary of his death and BAM! Clip show. May Mr. Clarke RIP. Mickey was such a reassuring presence.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ByaNose said:

They did that when Mickey died on the show.. I at least could've sworn they did that. However I'm sure it will be like Shawn/Frank Parker where they'll have a memorial card at the end.

Not sure where to post this but

Deadline sources say broadcast networks will cover public hearings."Days" preemptions possible next Wed. 11/13 and Fri. 11/15.

Sources at Deadline have said that the broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) are planning to cover the upcoming public hearings live. Depending on what time frames the hearings are held, be prepared for preemptions in multiple time zones. There are two hearings set for next week, on Wed. 11/13 and Fri. 11/15, so if you miss "Days" in your area, you can always watch it later in the evening on demand, on the NBC App, and at NBC.com

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Hope not, but these hearings can/may be another final nail for US soaps. OJ started it two decades ago, and I'd argue even the war in Iraq in '91 didn't help, either. But once you have something with longevity interrupting again, these soaps will have trouble recovering again. JMO.

Still, these hearings are important, so I can't begrudge the networks in airing them.

• Love 8

Just reported by Jason47:

"DAYS OF OUR LIVES" WILL BE PREEMPTED FOR THE TWO WEEKS OF SUMMER OLYMPICS IN 2020...

It has just been confirmed that "Days of Our Lives" will be preempted for the entirety of the Summer Olympics in July and August 2020. NBC has scheduled Olympics programming from Noon to 5PM each weekday during the two weeks of the Summer Olympics. The last episode of "Days" before the Olympics will air on Friday, July 24. Once the Olympics conclude, the next episode of "Days" after July 24 will be on Monday, August 10.

They're currently filming late June, and will film for ~2.5 more weeks before taking a potentially huge hiatus. I believe the length of the filming hiatus will ultimately depend on whether the show is renewed.

Edited by QueenSerena
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, buffynut said:

Hopefully the long hiatus is so that the air time can catch up with the film time, and not because they're worried the show won't be renewed.

I'm sure its the latter there's no incentive to close the gap of tape to air delay for Sony beyond whether they want to renew or not.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Paul Telfer and Lindsey Godfrey.  This may have been taken at Day of Days, but I'm not sure.

80slp80aqqx31.jpg

He looks so skinny. Of course, what we’re watching now is six months old. 

• Love 2

Agreed. Stay beefy Xander! It's 60% of your charm.

Cripes things aren't looking good. Episodes pre-empted during Ron's big narrative twist? Several weeks off the air a month or so before the possible finale? Did Ron factor in the Olympics, I wonder...?

I wish there was good news to look forward to. Remember when Ron started and Will's return was announced? We were all so happy then...

• Love 3

I do think that the show knew it was getting the Olympic preemption long before the press release.  NBC has been planning for this Olympics since the last one concluded. It's hardly a surprise.

I am not too worried about the Impeachment Hearings staying on network TV for long.  It helps that MSNBC exists.  And odds are, the hearings aren't going to last all that long.  The trial in 2020 may be more problematic, since that may get full coverage, may last as long as a month, and is arguably more important than congress critters snarling at each other.

As for the future, Peacock launches in April 2020.  And the new NBC streaming product needs eyeballs and a reason for folks to subscribe.  I think that alone guarantees another couple years of renewal.

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 4

I'm sure they factored in the Olympics but the impeachment hearings are another story I mean daytime wasn't the same after the OJ trial and now we're down to 4 soaps all on life support at this point.... the impeachment hearings could be that final nail on the coffin.

If Days manages to survive its because they haven't found a viable replacement yet.

As for streaming content just give us old episodes of Days from the 80s that's more preferable than the current version of the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I know right? Even if they only gave us significant episodes from the show's last 50 years, people would eat that up with a spoon. I would love to watch the first full episode of the show, or the episode where Caroline revealed that Bo was Victor's son. Or the first time Stefano appeared on the show. Or Alice's funeral. Or Bo and Hope's wedding.

If they don't want to make the entire library available, then just digitally process important episodes and make those available. That way current fans can take a brief look back at the show's history and how it impacts the present.

For example, for Tamara Price's return at the wedding last week, they could have made one of her episodes from back in the day available on the streaming service. Or they could upload a Princess Gina episode.

I swear it's like nobody in charge wants to help the show anymore.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

As for streaming content just give us old episodes of Days from the 80s that's more preferable than the current version of the show.

I'd say from 1965 until...say, 1993. Just before Reilly wrecked this show forever (as far as I'm concerned) with the possession shit. But if I could have those almost thirty years available to stream, it would be perfect.

• Love 6

Music rights can be very pricey. Back in the 80’s when Days had legit supercouples and a huge budget the couples had songs sung by famous singers, some had songs that were actual Billboard hits. So I bet paying for the rights to those songs that were featured isn't really doable. There was that VERY rare time they ponied up. Back in 2015 when Bo died they actually paid to use Bo and Hope's song "Tonight I Celebrate My Love". But as I said that was a rare (and important moment). I would kill for clear quality old episodes.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I wonder how much of an issue clearing music rights would be. It's been a big problem with other shows, I know.

I think that's the exact reason it hasn't happened. They'd either have to pony up a bunch of money, or Corday would have to create a lot of new music so they could edit those scenes and replace the music. It's the sad reality of where soaps are now vs. where they used to be.

• Love 1

It's so frustrating because it's pretty clear Sony isn't going to ever stream old episodes due to music rights.  Music rights are a reason Santa Barbara never landed on SoapNet.

But they still issue YouTube takedown notices on classic storylines.

• Love 3

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/days-lives-entire-cast-released-160818013.html

To summarize the article NBC is putting Days on an "infinite hiatus" they ahve taken everyone off contract, if they decide to go back on the air, they will offer new contracts for much less money.

I was just going to correct my typo but decided to leave it, since it probably will end up being infinite, but I meant indefinite.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

My local NBC news affiliate has its early newscast on now, and the anchorman says, "the future of Days of Our Lives may be in doubt". If I catch the content, I'll let you all know.

Same here, our local newscast(Indianapolis) reported about the future of "Days" is in jeopardy as the cast is "let go".  It certainly leaves a lot of uncertainty for the fans.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

And even if it does return, there is no guarantee all of the cast will come back with it.

I think that's the thing. I actually think the show probably will come back but I can't imagine all or even a majority of the actors will come back. I mean, that's a long time to be jobless so presumably most of them will find other work and likely decide they'd rather stuck with that then come back on what would probably be a huge pay cut. But who knows, plenty of actors have left before thinking they were gonna get something better and then came right back lol.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think that's the thing. I actually think the show probably will come back but I can't imagine all or even a majority of the actors will come back. I mean, that's a long time to be jobless so presumably most of them will find other work and likely decide they'd rather stuck with that then come back on what would probably be a huge pay cut. But who knows, plenty of actors have left before thinking they were gonna get something better and then came right back lol.

I think we'll only get back the ones who CAN'T find anything else.  Let's be realistic - a lot of the older crowd are not going to find the market ready and waiting for them.  A few might get "character" parts but it's not like Drake or Dierdre are suddenly going to find themselves starring in a primetime show.  As for the younger crowd, I think it'll be incentive to move on if possible.  So it'll be what?  All the vets and Lani?

• Love 5

They will have about 6 more weeks of episodes to film for the current renewal when they return in March or April. So they are for sure coming back at some point. Now, whether they go ahead and write out some characters they're not interested in bringing back when production resumes for those last 6 weeks (and potentially beyond, should there be a renewal)? Well, that remains to be seen.

I'm sorry for repeating this in multiple threads now, but I'd have to think they'll have agreements in writing that the actors they want for when production starts again will sign new contracts in the spring. That keeps Corday Productions from having to pay them while the studio is dark, but they'll have some insurance that those actors will re-sign. If Chandler's tweet is any indication, it seems the cast had advance knowledge and is on board with it, so that should be a positive when it comes time to get the actors back on board.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

And the vets that might have enough to retire and just work what roles they can find guesting on TV shows might be insulted at the pay cut, and just say no.  Or, they might just consider this a nice vacation and just continue working since they don't need big money.  Everyone is different.   I will say one thing, though.  It will kind of suck if the show ends up in the air.  Like Capitol did back in the day.

• Love 4