Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

(edited)

@rcc and everyone else who hasn't seen this business Arianne and Shawn seem to have created here's some info about it. They named whatever this is Aloha Sunset Sessions which comes across as some kind of life coaching/fan fulfillment thing. They call themselves "positivity advocates" whatever that's supposed to mean.   People pay to do online sessions with them and pick out what kind they want from this price list. It looks like they did some kind of "relationship webinar" on Tuesday that people could register for.

Edited by Jaded
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

80 dollars for 15 minutes...320 bucks for an hour.

That math is weird.

Yes, no discount for longer time.  For $320 bucks an hour, they better not only talk to me, but clean my house, mow my lawn, fix my car and make me dinner!

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Rafael said:

With continued budget cuts it cannot afford its own veteran cast members and many behind-the-scenes folks. I dont think the show is even profitable at this point. 

This show wouldn't be on the air if it didn't contribute to profits. 

NBC's considerations are being able to sell more advertising than they pay per episode, having content so they still own the time slot and having the ratings be high enough that affiliates aren't losing eyeballs to their competitors which can impact affiliate programming that comes after the soaps stop for the day.

When ABC replaced its soaps with talk shows, one absolutely tanked and was replaced.  But when CBS replaced one of their soap slots with a talk show, the ratings were the same but the talk show was so much cheaper than a soap and CBS owned it. 

Sony needs to make sure the costs of the show don't exceed what NBC pays them. When GL and ATWT were killed off, part of what factored into that was Procter & Gamble wanting out of the soap business.  I don't think that's Sony since they produce 3 of the 4 soaps on the air right now.  But I don't see them running at a loss. 

• Love 5

I saw a neat video I think NBC or someone had posted BTS of the Cin wedding. It’s funny to see how the show is done and when there isn’t any music. Basically, it was KA starting to walk down the isle while 2 stage hands open the doors. Then the actress who plays Allie walks down. Meanwhile VK is sitting in a chair in her gown but then they realized they could see her sitting in the chair from the other side of the doors. Also, the prop men dumping ashes on BB & KB heads and loving it. Pretty funny! 

• Love 2
On 7/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, Jaded said:

@rcc and everyone else who hasn't seen this business Arianne and Shawn seem to have created here's some info about it. They named whatever this is Aloha Sunset Sessions which comes across as some kind of life coaching/fan fulfillment thing. They call themselves "positivity advocates" whatever that's supposed to mean.   People pay to do online sessions with them and pick out what kind they want from this price list. It looks like they did some kind of "relationship webinar" on Tuesday that people could register for.

I honestly do not know what to think about this 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/23/2020 at 8:33 PM, Jaded said:

Edited by Rafael
10 hours ago, Rafael said:

there is the very reality that for DOOL to survive the show has to appeal to younger viewers who were not alive in the 1980’s and 1970s.

That could be said about all the remaining soaps the problem is there are way more options for younger viewers now than back then. Plus soaps never evolved at least for the better. If viewers want to watch more diversity etc there are way more options for them to watch than the soaps which provide very little of that these days if at all.

• Love 2

One could argue a lot of the sci-fi fantasy and genre shows are offering diversity and plenty of over-the-top soapy plot lines. Smallville was basically a soap opera. From the sounds of it, the current crop of superhero fare is much the same...

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

One could argue a lot of the sci-fi fantasy and genre shows are offering diversity and plenty of over-the-top soapy plot lines. Smallville was basically a soap opera. From the sounds of it, the current crop of superhero fare is much the same...

True but I'm sure those shows are more modern than the daytime soaps who act like its still 20-30 years years ago but times have changed. Young viewers aren't going to care as much about Days as those who were born in the 70s and 80s that grew up watching the show. That type of intergenerational viewership is long gone.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

True but I'm sure those shows are more modern than the daytime soaps who act like its still 20-30 years years ago but times have changed. Young viewers aren't going to care as much about Days as those who were born in the 70s and 80s that grew up watching the show. That type of intergenerational viewership is long gone.

Soaps have been trying to be like the movies and primetime shows and have sacrificed what made them special back in the day. The irony is that so many genres have copied the soap opera formula and have excelled.  Soaps have the advantage to develop stories and characters in depth in a way that other genres cannot..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/john-callahan-s-ex-wife-eva-larue-claims-someone-broke-into-actor-s-home-stole-his-identity-after-death/ar-BB17itiR?li=BBnb2gh

John Callahan's Ex-Wife Eva LaRue Claims Someone Broke into Actor's Home, 'Stole His Identity' After Death

John Callahan's identity was allegedly stolen in a home burglary shortly after his unexpected death in March, according to his ex-wife Eva LaRue.

The actress, 53, opened up about mourning her ex-husband and former All My Children costar in an interview published on Tuesday, describing the process as a "roller coaster" while claiming that someone had broken into the actor's house and "stole" his possessions following his death.

"It has definitely been a roller coaster because not only is my daughter grieving so hard, but I'm grieving separately in my way, too, because he has been my great friend," LaRue, who is mom to Callahan's 18-year-old daughter Kaya, told Fox News.

“And at the same time, somebody broke into his house right after he died and stole his identity, his car, his laptop,” she continued. “They have been taking out loans and credit cards in his name and they’ve siphoned money out of his bank account – it's been a nightmare. A nightmare."

LaRue told the outlet that she's been dealing with the aftermath, but has been having a hard time trying to remedy the situation.

"As you can imagine, every phone call is being put on hold for like 20 minutes or an hour or two hours, and then people being like, ‘I'm sorry, we can't help you.’ It's just like a bureaucratic nightmare,” LaRue said. "Every phone call that we make to try to fix the situation is just insane."

“It's just sick and messed up,” she added. “And I mean, the good thing is that they're circling the wagons around this person. And so he's going to get caught. But in the meantime, it's wreaked such havoc for the last four months, like such crazy havoc."

PEOPLE has not been able to confirm with authorities if there is an active investigation.

Callahan passed away on March 28 at the age of 66 after suffering a stroke.

The actor played Edmund Grey on ABC’s All My Children from 1992 to 2005. During that time, he met LaRue, who played his love interest Maria Santos. The couple were married from 1996 to 2004.

In the wake of Callahan's passing, LaRue paid tribute to her ex in statement saying, “We are extremely saddened and distraught over the loss of John.”

“He was my great friend, co-parent and amazing father to Kaya. The absence of his bigger than life, gregarious personality will leave a hole in our hearts forever. Words cannot express the shock and devastation we are feeling at this time. The Yankees just lost one of their greatest fans,” LaRue added.

She also commemorated him with a lengthy post on Instagram, recalling his “big belly laugh, bear hugs, bad puns, ability to harmonize to any song, great kitchen table singing-fests, and two steppin bad a–!”

“Kaya and I are beyond broken-hearted, so stunned, sorry that my thoughts are a mess,” she wrote. “You gave the best most beautifully written tributes, and I am at a complete loss for words right now for you. I hope Heaven has baseball and that your team always wins!"

(edited)
On 7/24/2020 at 1:06 AM, Irlandesa said:

This show wouldn't be on the air if it didn't contribute to profits. 

NBC's considerations are being able to sell more advertising than they pay per episode, having content so they still own the time slot and having the ratings be high enough that affiliates aren't losing eyeballs to their competitors which can impact affiliate programming that comes after the soaps stop for the day.

When ABC replaced its soaps with talk shows, one absolutely tanked and was replaced.  But when CBS replaced one of their soap slots with a talk show, the ratings were the same but the talk show was so much cheaper than a soap and CBS owned it. 

Sony needs to make sure the costs of the show don't exceed what NBC pays them. When GL and ATWT were killed off, part of what factored into that was Procter & Gamble wanting out of the soap business.  I don't think that's Sony since they produce 3 of the 4 soaps on the air right now.  But I don't see them running at a loss. 

Have you noticed that the first 6-8 mins are now COMPLETE repeats of the previous days' episode?  With that and flashbacks I swear they are down to 30min a day new footage.

ETA:
With obvious production cost cuts and now older stars leaving, I think the problem is clear to me.  It's NOT an NBC product. It's a Corday(?) product sold to NBC.  So right off the top there a profit taking percentage that goes to the production company.  

To get costs down they have to go 'greener' (i.e. younger actors with less tenure).  CIN is big but they need more younger, interesting, couples.  And BIG paychecks like KA's has to go down.  And Wilson has tenure -- so I could see them cutting them out (for now) and bringing them back later.  Essentially keeping as many irons in the fire as they can.  For example, these past few weeks have featured the return of Sami for a brief stint.  A little Sami goes a LONG DAMN WAY.  AS is cool with the arrangement so it's a win-win.  I get them trying to put KA on that schedule and her saying 'no'.  I also wonder how much it costs to keep Marlena around.  She's a big fish paycheck.  I'm getting the impression SSH and DH work for peanuts.  Like semi-retired.  Which is why we have more of them than necessary. Josh Taylor also strikes me as a retiree.   James Reynold as well.  

So.. with the Coronavirus shutdown, they are resetting a lot of arraignments. If they are to survive they have to .

I imagine they plot out their budget in 4 week increments, load up what they can afford, and THAT drives plot.  

Edited by SueB
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, SueB said:

Have you noticed that the first 6-8 mins are now COMPLETE repeats of the previous days' episode?  With that and flashbacks I swear they are down to 30min a day new footage.

Glad you pointed this out.  I've been wondering if this was always the plan, or if someone has been frantically re-editing the footage to add flashbacks in an attempt to make the remaining episodes last longer.  With all the flare-ups and hot spots, I wonder if they've started to realize that it's looking less and less likely they'll resume production in September as planned.  Either they'll have to delay, or film with a MUCH smaller cast and crew.

• Love 2

I'm curious what they'll be able to churn out once the "new" episodes start airing.... Is it going to be episodes full of Gwen talking to herself? More flashbacks than usual? Fewer sets? Or as others have suggested, storylines that keep the characters in separate rooms and separate locations? Or will they just hire three or four new young actors who will work for cheap and use them to fill up screen time?

It will be really interesting to see how much it still feels like the same show with so many front-burner characters disappearing.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

It will be really interesting to see how much it still feels like the same show with so many front-burner characters disappearing.

Honestly, it hasn't felt like the same show for quite awhile now.😞

But then again, nothing feels the same anymore........😶

• Love 3

I feel you. I would like to think the producers would take this opportunity to cast a bunch of top-notch younger actors to play Parker and Johnny and Sydney and the rest, and bring in new writers who will sensitively write well-rounded characters who can support the show in the absence of the veterans...

...but I have a sneaky suspicion it is going to be more toothpaste models and brainwashings and cheap shock value cliffhangers.

We shall see.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, SueB said:

Yes. I believe they are trying to extend what they already have so they can keep airing just in case things don't work out as planned for shooting new episodes.

• Love 2

If they were trying to stretch out the footage they already had by padding the episodes with flashbacks just as a response to the covid-19 production lockdown, the end of episode cliffhangers would end up bumped to the middle of the following episodes and it would throw everything off. This isn't the first time Ron has been liberal with the use of flashbacks at the start of the episodes. I think they just want to get the most out of the footage of the wedding because it cost so much money. I think what we're seeing is exactly what was planned.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

... these flashbacks started way before the wedding.

Exactly. Which is why I don't see them being at all related to trying to extend the eps. 

As @DisneyBoy said, then the cliffhangers would all be off and they haven't been.

The flashbacks have always just seemed like padding to me, probably because of cut scenes.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Retired at last said:

But that also worries me that perhaps Gwen will be added long term and I don't think she is needed.

Hell nah. She definitely aint needed and she wont last long either. 

• Love 4

Isn't that what we thought about Ben, Deimos and other "why are they even here?" characters whose storylines dragged on and on and on? See, this is what I liked about the shorter tape-to-airdate schedule: producers used to course-correct much more effectively on soaps like Another World if there was an actor or a character that just wasn't clicking. I remember some who were on and off the show within a month or two because viewers just didn't like them. On Days it feels like a bad character can hang around for a year and a half or more before their ousted.

The producers are now going to feel very nervous about letting more cast members go, so I definitely think Gwen is going to be invited to stay. The fact that she just waltzed into the DiMera Mansion after being a character for only 2 months says it all to me. And Ron likes his crazy women. Maybe if Andre were still around to bump her off, I would have some hope LOL.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Retired at last said:

But that also worries me that perhaps Gwen will be added long term and I don't think she is needed.

She was still filming before everything shut down so yeah sadly it looks like we will see her for a while

• Love 1

Yes but as much as I think Ron sucks I don't know who's out there that would want to write for Days as broke as they are. The entire genre is on life support. If Ron was gone we'd probably get Dena back its a lateral which is why I think Ron is here till the bitter end.

• Love 3

My feeling is that KdP is a professional and she'll make the best of whatever crap they write for her.  She's proven this time and time again.  The only reason I really feel bad for her is that she brings such emotion to scenes she's sharing with an underwear model but I suspect even that doesn't bother her.  

If anyone has the inclination to share details about the CIN fans going crazy on Twitter, I'd love to hear about it...

• Love 7
55 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

The only reason I really feel bad for her is that she brings such emotion to scenes she's sharing with an underwear model but I suspect even that doesn't bother her.

Probably not.  She worked against someone who could act but would sometimes shut down and/or sabotage scenes he didn't like so I doubt a bad actor who is actually trying will shake her.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Roger Howarth???

Yep.  When he was on, he was on. But when he was unhappy (personally or professionally) it could come through.  To his credit, it did seem to grow up or out of it the older he got but she had to put up with his mood swings for a long damn time. But she's been on soaps a long time and worked with kids so she's a pro.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

If anyone has the inclination to share details about the CIN fans going crazy on Twitter, I'd love to hear about it...

I had to stop reading today. It was like a trainwreck at first but then today once not one, but multiple fans said CIN are the best couple in all the years soaps are on and that RSW will win the lead actor Emmy next year I said nope, I'm out 😂

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Wow. That's just....I was going to say laughable, but it's not really funny. Just sad. And ignorant.

It's such a shame the late soaps aren't streaming now because AW, AMC, GL and OLTL would really give them an education. Will they never stream those shows?

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wow. That's just....I was going to say laughable, but it's not really funny. Just sad. And ignorant.

It's such a shame the late soaps aren't streaming now because AW, AMC, GL and OLTL would really give them an education. Will they never stream those shows?

Don't forget Santa Barbara... one of my all time favs!  I would be willing to pay $$$ for a soap opera streaming service if I could rewatch some of those classic soaps.  These networks are crazy to not take advantage of the years and years of footage they already have and make money with it.  I'm sure they would have to pay the actors residuals, but even so, it could potentially be a gold mine.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Some (very) good soul, a while back now, has put up years and years of Ryan's Hope episodes, uploaded in consequential order.  I assume that person recorded them when the entire series was rebroadcast on the extinct Soap channel and uploaded from there.  I've watched that more than once and have gone back to it during the pandemic.  The video quality is pretty good, all things considered.  

But it sure would be nice to have ALL the shows you mentioned, on air in great viewing condition.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

The funny thing is some claim to be watching soaps for years and years. But I notice everything is extreme with them. The CIN wedding was the most amazing wedding EVER!! RSW is the most handsome guy in soaps!! So much hyperbole. Look, I get people have their own taste but I find it hard to believe any who saw like say Bo and Hopes wedding, or Steve and Kayla's thought Ben and Ciara's was the most amazing.

5 hours ago, domina89 said:

Don't forget Santa Barbara... one of my all time favs!  I would be willing to pay $$$ for a soap opera streaming service if I could rewatch some of those classic soaps

OMG I would give anything to watch Santa Barbara. Damn I got chills thinking about the joy I had watching that. And talk about supercouples? Cruz & Eden 😍 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

Greg Vaughan gave an interview with SOD. One thing he said was that the writing for Eric was flat. I couldn’t agree more. Eric was a boring, one note character. I don’t blame GV for being disappointed. 

Well he told no lies.

I don't know if this means anything as to AZ's status on the show but

• Love 2

Yeah between that business they are trying to get off the ground and selling the house I wonder if they need the money? 

Well KDP posted this so I guess she liked working with RSW. And you know what? I give anyone credit who at least puts effort into their work so good for him for trying! So many sleepwalk through scenes

• Love 7