Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Yeah between that business they are trying to get off the ground and selling the house I wonder if they need the money? 

Well KDP posted this so I guess she liked working with RSW. And you know what? I give anyone credit who at least puts effort into their work so good for him for trying! So many sleepwalk through scenes

Jill Larson had a lot of good things to say about him when he was on the online AMC reboot, too.  I think RSW is a good guy who has been badly misused with this character.

And KDP is just so gracious to all her co-workers as, it sounds RSW is. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 18

I dislike the actor because of his extremely limited range, and perpetual smug look on his face. I believe he's trying to make the most of this experience and puts effort into his work, I just don't think he's ever moved out of the modelling sphere, even when compared to Sal, who I also think is extremely limited.

I really wish Kassie hadn't posted that, because this actor and his character don't need any more propping already considering how Deidre and the producers apparently love him.

He grunted and grimaced, big deal. We already saw him do that when Abigail doused him with gasoline and lit him on fire. This just happened to be three days of it.

• Love 4

Graciousness keeps acting job doors open. Seems like many younger actors just see a soap as a mere stepping stone to a film or TV series career. Good for both of them. Kassie has probably seen a lot in her career.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I really wish Kassie hadn't posted that, because this actor and his character don't need any more propping already considering how Deidre and the producers apparently love him.

I think the show already values RSW more than they value KDP even if Ron does love her. 

And KDP tends to be positive about her costars in general.  It's actually smart.  If people are mad on Twitter about the torture, maybe it'll help stave off any negativity towards her on her personal account.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, boes said:

Some (very) good soul, a while back now, has put up years and years of Ryan's Hope episodes, uploaded in consequential order.  I assume that person recorded them when the entire series was rebroadcast on the extinct Soap channel and uploaded from there.  I've watched that more than once and have gone back to it during the pandemic.  The video quality is pretty good, all things considered.  

But it sure would be nice to have ALL the shows you mentioned, on air in great viewing condition.

I loved Ryan's Hope and really enjoyed re-watching it on the now gone SoapNet.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the show already values RSW more than they value KDP even if Ron does love her. 

And KDP tends to be positive about her costars in general.  It's actually smart.  If people are mad on Twitter about the torture, maybe it'll help stave off any negativity towards her on her personal account.

The Cin fanbase on tweeter need to get a grip, some of the things they are posting just boggles my mind. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry over their idiocy.. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I think the people hate Ben because of the worship not for the actual actor at least he doesn't phone it in. I respect that because goodness knows the material isn't worth giving it your all.

we hate the serial killer. we dont really hate Scott.

15 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I dislike the actor because of his extremely limited range, and perpetual smug look on his face. I believe he's trying to make the most of this experience and puts effort into his work, I just don't think he's ever moved out of the modelling sphere, even when compared to Sal, who I also think is extremely limited.

He grunted and grimaced, big deal. We already saw him do that when Abigail doused him with gasoline and lit him on fire. This just happened to be three days of it.

Yeah, I dont hate him as a person but leading man he is certainly not . Even Brandon Beemer is barely better than RSW .

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And KDP tends to be positive about her costars in general.  It's actually smart.

I think it's also just generally being professional.  I lose pretty much all respect for actors who whine about their co-stars, directors, producers, writers, etc.*  Complain about that stuff to your friends.  Keep all work related comments positive to the customers/general public.

*I don't mean if they have real gripes, such as workplace safety, #metoo incidents, etc.  I'm just talking about petty stuff and substandard work.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think it's also just generally being professional.  I lose pretty much all respect for actors who whine about their co-stars, directors, producers, writers, etc.*  Complain about that stuff to your friends.  Keep all work related comments positive to the customers/general public.

*I don't mean if they have real gripes, such as workplace safety, #metoo incidents, etc.  I'm just talking about petty stuff and substandard work.

Not to mention, they get paid alot of money and have access to alot of perks that the average person will never have.. I also hate it when petty beefs behind the scenes affect the quality of the show. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think it's also just generally being professional. 

True.  But not saying anything can also be professional.  She, more than a lot of people, will offer up unprompted kind words about her co-stars.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well he told no lies.

I don't know if this means anything as to AZ's status on the show but

Alan Locher interviewed Ari and Shawn for his youtube show. They said they bought a house in Lake Tahoe. Shawn said he has a marketing degree. Explains their latest endeavor. Marketing themselves by helping people.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

PT responded to a Xander/Sarah fan about live tweeting this Friday's episode for Xarah reunion and KDP replied to a post made by PT earlier on. I loved those two's graciousness, humor and positive attitude.

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Rafael said:

Is it possible that Bryan Datillo and Casey Moss arent viewed as leading men because of their height ?

I think that's part of it especially when neither of them fit into the chiseled hunky leading man role. Neither of them are considered masculine enough by TPTB either. Lucas was at least was in a popular pairing w/ Sami, father of one of the few gay characters in the show's history, and Kate's son(this show loves Kate for some strange reason) for that he will always be welcome for visits.

I don't expect Casey Moss/JJ to return there's nothing for him here. Despite his parents and sister being here JJ is treated as more of an afterthought than Lucas.

Also they play Horton males and is there are no Horton blood males that have been written as longstanding leading men on this show. The exceptions have been Tom and Mickey(although by the 80s he was treated as an afterthought who was known for losing cases more than anything).

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3
On 8/10/2020 at 7:19 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I think that's part of it especially when neither of them fit into the chiseled hunky leading man role. Neither of them are considered masculine enough by TPTB either. Lucas was at least was in a popular pairing w/ Sami, father of one of the few gay characters in the show's history, and Kate's son(this show loves Kate for some strange reason) for that he will always be welcome for visits.

I don't expect Casey Moss/JJ to return there's nothing for him here. Despite his parents and sister being here JJ is treated as more of an afterthought than Lucas.

Also they play Horton males and is there are no Horton blood males that have been written as longstanding leading men on this show. The exceptions have been Tom and Mickey(although by the 80s he was treated as an afterthought who was known for losing cases more than anything).

What about Mike Horton?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mary2013 said:

What about Mike Horton?

While he was around he was never held on the same level as Bo, Roman, etc at the time after Michael T Weiss left the character was irrelevant until he was thrown into a triangle w/ Austin and Carrie.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

While he was around he was never held on the same level as Bo, Roman, etc at the time after Michael T Weiss left the character was irrelevant until he was thrown into a triangle w/ Austin and Carrie.

The last time that Mike Horton was really important was when he was a child and actually drove stories and he is the original legacy child who was born on the show.  I thought he was great with the actor before Michael T Weiss and Michael's version..Michael's Mike sparkled with the ladies of the show and was hot. The one that was with Carrie was so bland vapid and became  so much younger than he was. The show made no effort to make him interesting. I always felt that Mark Valley would have been a great Mike Horton but he was cast as Jack after they fired Matthew.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yet if you weren't an old school Days fan you wouldn't know this about Mike now because he's such a nonfactor like all the other Horton blood males.

They only care about Horton women not Horton men.

They may write for the Horton women but they are terrible now... A damn shame cause they were awesome back in the day.    Laura Horton was such a popular character, her exit left a void that led to another Blonde psychiatrist coming to Salem by the name of Marlena Evans to help a troubled Mickey Horton.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait...crazy eyes Laura Horton was the show's heroine?

Huh.

Well, at the height of her popularity, I believe Susan Flannery was in the role. She does (based on B&B) strong and bitchy better than crazy. Though, I think by the time she went crazy, another actress was playing her. (I think I read Rosemary Forsythe?)

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Huh.

When Susan Flannery played her yes. After she left the character drastically changed with the recasts as being crazy over Bill's affair with Kate etc. However Marlena's arrival made everyone forget her and then the other Horton women came into focus Julie, Hope, Jennifer etc.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Huh.

She was very popular and the show could never find a decent recast after Susan Flannerry left the show for good.  Then, Marlena came to be and the rest is history.. Laura as she was originally written was a heroine who struggled with her sanity and that made her beloved by the fans. Bill Bell wrote her wonderfully and he went on to write a similar heroine on his show by the same of Ashley Abbott played by Eileen Davidson..

The 90's version of Laura that slept with Jack was a travesty....To be fair, the show has never been good at recasting it's characters. The only exception to that was Drake's Roman and Lauren's Kate.. Both actors were able to keep their characters essence consistent despite having new faces..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

The 90's version of Laura that slept with Jack was a travesty....To be fair, the show has never been good at recasting it's characters. The only exception to that was Drake's Roman and Lauren's Kate..

I thought Austin Peck was a decent recast. And let's not forget that Matthew Ashford is like Jack #3, but 1 and 2 weren't on very long so I'll grant you that probably doesn't count.  And, while he was very different from Michael T. Weiss, I thought Roark Critchlow made a good Mike Horton once I got used to him.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I thought Austin Peck was a decent recast. And let's not forget that Matthew Ashford is like Jack #3, but 1 and 2 weren't on very long so I'll grant you that probably doesn't count.  And, while he was very different from Michael T. Weiss, I thought Roark Critchlow made a good Mike Horton once I got used to him.

I thought Martha was a good Belle recast and Jay was a good Philip recast. The first one was on a couple of months before the switch to Jay.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I thought Martha was a good Belle recast and Jay was a good Philip recast. The first one was on a couple of months before the switch to Jay.

Jay was a good recast. 

25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Austin Peck made Austin a dumbass.  

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Matthew Ashford is like Jack #3, but 1 and 2 weren't on very long so I'll grant you that probably doesn't count.

Yeah.  There was an article posted somewhere a little while back that listed off "best recasts."  It had a lot of recency bias but it also included some people who replaced actors who had barely made a dent in the roles they played. It doesn't count if they're trying to find an actor who will finally make a character work. 

I also liked Roark but his Mike Horton was a utility player.  He had a purpose but there was never the sense the show couldn't live without him the way I think they feel about Marlena, Jennifer or Sami.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, howmanywords said:

What I wouldnt give to have Michael T. Weiss back. I know they weren't a huge deal supercouple but I loved Mike and Robin. 

Same, but I guess he didn't look too fondly upon his time on the show or so I read here. So I doubt that will ever happen.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, bannana said:

Wait what?! Laura, Jen's mom, slept with Jack???

Yeah, but they didn't know who each other really was, if I recall. (This was when Mark Valley was Jack, so it's easy to write that whole period off, at least in my case. Mark Valley was great eye candy. But he was not Jack Deveraux. We won't get into the horrible Steve Wilder.)

And James E. Reilly never "got" the character and just tried to make him the generic hunk.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I thought Martha was a good Belle recast and Jay was a good Philip recast

Don't forget MBE, who was the second Kayla. The original (brunette) Kayla is the one who dated Chris Kochisek, played by the actor who now plays her brother, lol.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, but they didn't know who each other really was, if I recall. (This was when Mark Valley was Jack, so it's easy to write that whole period off, at least in my case. Mark Valley was great eye candy. But he was not Jack Deveraux. We won't get into the horrible Steve Wilder.)

And James E. Reilly never "got" the character and just tried to make him the generic hunk.

It never made any sense since Jack and Jennifer always spoke about their respective families when they were together. Jack must have seen pictures of her mother at some point.  It was just a plot point by JER to sully Jack in my opinion.. JER never got any of the characters that were not his favorites.

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yeah.  There was an article posted somewhere a little while back that listed off "best recasts."  It had a lot of recency bias but it also included some people who replaced actors who had barely made a dent in the roles they played. It doesn't count if they're trying to find an actor who will finally make a character work. 

The same can be said for Kayla. Mary Beth Evans is the second Kayla but the original was just as good but not memorable since she did not stay very long in the role.  Kayla seemed more of a filler character until Mary Beth Evans was cast..

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bannana said:

Wait what?! Laura, Jen's mom, slept with Jack???

Yeah, my mind blew when I first heard that myself. Apparently, both characters were in some kind of retreat or Alcoholics Anonymous or sanitarium or something, and met without realizing they had Jennifer in common.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kassandra8286 said:

Don't forget MBE, who was the second Kayla. The original (brunette) Kayla is the one who dated Chris Kochisek, played by the actor who now plays her brother, lol.

And of course, KF wasn't the first Teen Hope.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The same can be said for Kayla. Mary Beth Evans is the second Kayla but the original was just as good but not memorable since she did not stay very long in the role.  Kayla seemed more of a filler character until Mary Beth Evans was cast..

I think I actually remember the other Kayla portrayed by Catherine Mary Stewart.  I met her once not long after that and I think she moved to movies/prime time.

• Love 3

"Meanwhile, EW also reports that Alfonso’s former onscreen love Galen Gering — who announced his own departure from the soap earlier this year — will be staying put."

So is Rafe leaving or not leaving? 

• Love 1
Just now, Rafael said:

"Meanwhile, EW also reports that Alfonso’s former onscreen love Galen Gering — who announced his own departure from the soap earlier this year — will be staying put."

So is Rafe leaving or not leaving? 

He will be gone a few weeks/month and will be back to filming after Days starts filming again in September/

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

He will be gone a few weeks/month and will be back to filming after Days starts filming again in September/

2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Ugh ,come on!!  This character is dead weight right now !! I need a break from him. If he is staying  ,this means that bryan Datillo will never ever be on contract again.

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

BD was never going to be on contract because the show doesn't view him as leading man material. Which is why I wish the show would just let Lucas find love off screen and update us that he's happy when he visits.

A damn shame because Lucas is beloved.. Lucas was thrown under the bus for both EJ and Rafe...

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
On 8/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, Pearson80 said:

A damn shame because Lucas is beloved.. Lucas was thrown under the bus for both EJ and Rafe...

I feel like Lumi was the endgame but Ejami wrecked that. And I'm saying that as someone who loves Ejami. I do think Sami and Lucas should have ultimately ended up together. It's so dumb to see Sami caring offscreen for a comatose EJ. James Scott is not coming back.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

I feel like Lumi was the endgame but Ejami wrecked that. And I'm saying that as someone who loves Ejami. I do think Sami and Lucas should have ultimately ended up together. It's so dumb to see Sami caring offscreen for a comatose EJ. James Scott is not coming back.

Did they do this whole thing because they thought he might come back?

I just never understood why they would have EJ with burns to most of his body then having to be cared for by Sami. 

• Love 5

The coupling had a lot of fans, there was a negative response to his murder/exit storyline, Ron likes resurrections, Kristen had already been shown injecting his body with something and I'm guessing they've been preparing for a series finale every year for the last few years and figured bringing EJ back to life might allow for James Scott to make a 1 episode return appearance, or for them to recast the character and use him again long-term.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, bannana said:

I just never understood why they would have EJ with burns to most of his body then having to be cared for by Sami. 

I think that's part of it I think the other part of it is that AS doesn't want to return full time and she liked the Ejami pairing. 

Which works for me as I think Lucas deserves better than Sami anyways. I just don't get why they can't say Lucas found love off screen and that he's happy. Instead he's just a single sad sack who will never be allowed to move past Sami when she's more than put him in the rearview mirror.

• Love 3
On 8/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, Pearson80 said:

A damn shame because Lucas is beloved..

Not by me.

If I had my way, he'd still be locked in that freezer truck like EJ intended.

I will admit, I like him a little more now, but I could not stand him back in the day.

#EJamiforever

<ducks flying objects>

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Not by me.

If I had my way, he'd still be locked in that freezer truck like EJ intended.

I will admit, I like him a little more now, but I could not stand him back in the day.

#EJamiforever

<ducks flying objects>

I think for me the irresistible thing about Ejami was Sami being on the other side of stalker level obsession. Lol. My god, when EJ crashed Lumi's honeymoon in New Orleans? Mint.

• Love 2

I kind of liked that they had chemistry, and that EJ seemed to come from a different world but that he was also a schemer like Sami and therefore could appreciate her on that level. When I later found out all about the rape and the mutually trying to kill each other, that's when it fell apart for me. The nail in the coffin was the affair with Abigail, which I know Scott didn't approve of and which led to his resignation from the show. I do think it's in keeping with EJ for him to take what he wants and justify it later.

What I like about Lucas is that he's willing I think to go along with Sami and his mother's plans to a point but that he's also the voice of reason. I didn't like him much in the day because he was so whiny and such a mama's boy and so annoying and always pissed off. LOL Of course, if I was caught between Kate and Sami, with my brother Austin parading around shirtless smd getting all the attention, I probably would be too!

If the show would just close the chapter on the DiMeras and move on, EJ would have no place at all on the canvas. But they refuse to do that, so they keep trying to bring him back into the story even though he really has no part in it anymore.

• Love 5
On 8/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, bannana said:

He should have just stayed dead dead until James Scott decides to return . 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2