Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

The background of these shots not having any color made everyone look less then spectacular. It's obvious photoshop was used so while they were at it they could have added colors behind the people in each shot.

On 10/17/2020 at 6:44 AM, JaneDigby said:

That's it, "Nighttime Hope." I'm glad she didn't actually kill anyone. It's that sort of storytelling - all shock and no long term implications - that is killing the genre. I guess the writers rolled their Magic 8 Ball and the options were, as usual: rape, prostitution, murder, previously unknown spouse, previously unknown child, brain chip and try again. 

This is why I can't take it too seriously on this show. Everyone is either a rapist, a murderer (or seriously attempted murderer) or a rape victim. It's a decades long fascination. I mentioned in another thread watching an old episode and there was a rapist, assisted by his son - the product of the aforementioed rape, operating on a newly minted rapist. You could literally fill a room with them. Ugh.

Yes, my beloved Tony raped his then wife, Liz. They were very unhappily married and, if memory serves, both wanted a divorce but Stefano wouldn't let them and insisted on a grandchild. Tony went on to fall in love with Renee (sob!) who turned out to be Stefano's daughter. Tony's had it rough, people!

I was about to say that Hope is one of the very few long-term characters not be be a rapist or rape survivor and then I remembered Sub!Sex and fans flipping out that somehow both Hope AND John were rape victims. I guess Stefano's brain chips played the role of rapist in that scenario.

Hope was almost raped back in 84 by one of Megan/Max Hathaway's goons,  Larry came in and pulled him off of her, but then  when he found out she had been faking being pregnant he looked like he was ready to rape her too, luckily she pushed him down the stairs and ran to the airport to get on the airplane with Bo that would eventually crash in the Bermuda Triangle.   OH and I forgot she was almost raped in 83 when she ran away from home and was living in a seedy room , Bo figured out where she was and got to her just in time.   

And when Steve a was brought on he was a straight on villain and I seem to remember a scene where he was sexually aggressive with Hope., I'm so glad they didn't go there and they gave Steve Layers,  and that they would eventually become friends. 

Man, do I miss the old days. 

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, I'm get carried away when talking old school storylines. 

Edited by Mckinnonsgirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

FYI, the cast photo is in spoiler tags because there are people in the photo who have not yet appeared on the show or aren't back on the show yet. 

So any discussion of that photo, unless the character is currently airing, should be in spoiler tags or in the spoiler thread. 

Thank you!

10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

William DeVry has left GH (not of his own choice, apparently).  I wonder if there could be a place for him on Days.  Maybe Mike Horton?

Not a bad idea. But I think they should rather prioritise getting roark Critchlow back as Mike. Atleast he is an old familiar face. 

16 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

William DeVry has left GH (not of his own choice, apparently).  I wonder if there could be a place for him on Days.  Maybe Mike Horton?

He'd make a good Peter.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ajs1615 said:

Forget Roark. Mike should be played by Michael T. Weiss. 

He's the only Mike Horton that matters but MTW doesn't have fond memories of Days so I don't see that happening.

Shawn Christian should've been cast as Mike not Daniel Jonas he could've had the same stories and still be part of a core family the only thing that couldn't happen was Dannifer and we could've been spared so much..

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

He's the only Mike Horton that matters but MTW doesn't have fond memories of Days so I don't see that happening.

Shawn Christian should've been cast as Mike not Daniel Jonas he could've had the same stories and still be part of a core family the only thing that couldn't happen was Dannifer and we could've been spared so much..

I actually thought Mark Valley who was cast as Jack after Matthew was fired would have been the perfect Mike Horton. I loved the actor and I loved his energy but he was so wrong as Jack...

• Love 4
16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I know he was acting, but that's so sad to read, because Mike was always such a happy, fun character.  I loved the big brother / little sister relationship between Mike and Jennifer.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, buffynut said:

I know he was acting, but that's so sad to read, because Mike was always such a happy, fun character.  I loved the big brother / little sister relationship between Mike and Jennifer.

So did I he was more like a father figure though but still very heartfelt. I liked that he used to call her Squirt which is something that KM's Abby used to call JJ so I thought it was a nice touch of history. 

• Love 5

I would like to think that was intentional on the part of the writers, but it's a pretty common sibling nickname...

I still don't think PR ever got away with the "Fancy Face" nickname for Hope. I mean....really? What woman would ever want to hear that more than once...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I would like to think that was intentional on the part of the writers, but it's a pretty common sibling nickname...

I still don't think PR ever got away with the "Fancy Face" nickname for Hope. I mean....really? What woman would ever want to hear that more than once...

Well Steve still calls Kayla "Sweetness". Bo had nicknames for everyone. Shawn was "Sailor man" Carly was "Princess"

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well Steve still calls Kayla "Sweetness". Bo had nicknames for everyone. Shawn was "Sailor man" Carly was "Princess"

I remember Steve used to call Justin, Dimples.  i think he called Jack, Junior.  Roman and John call Marlena Doc.  Lucas called Sami scammy.  That's my favorite, LOL.

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Why is that a bad thing? Bo had a nickname for the people that he loved.. I think either he or Steve called Shane the governor because of his regal presence and his British aristocracy roots...

Edited by Pearson80
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, howmanywords said:

I was excited until I saw that time. It's 10 where I am but still. Waaay early. 

If it's a Day of Days is it on all day?  If so, you can probably pop in whenever.

• Love 2
On 11/17/2020 at 9:07 PM, Pearson80 said:

Why is that a bad thing? Bo had a nickname for the people that he loved.. I think either he or Steve called Shane the governor because of his regal presence and his British aristocracy roots...

Nicknames can be fine, but on this show, they're often hilarious or just bad. "Doc" always reminded me of Looney Tunes, "Sweetness" just sounds....uuggghh *shudders* so creepy and weird....and "Fancy Face" hardly rolls off the tongue. And WTH does it even mean? You have a pretty face? Then why not say "gorgeous" or "hey beautiful" or "angel" or something?

It reminds me of Logan on Gilmore Girls calling Rory "Ace". It was so smarmy and condescending, because he didn't care at all about the publishing empire his father was just handing to him, but watched, amused, while Rory worked at her classes and at the university paper to try and get her foot in the door as a journalist. Like "haha - you're pretending to be a reporter, but also, I want to bone you, so I'm going to start giving you a pet name before we're even a couple, because you liiiiiiiiiike iiiiiit!" Puke.

Nicknames can be fine, but if they're about how sexy your partner is or some kind of possessive partner thing, just save it for the bedroom. No one needs to hear it. Let your eyes do the talking. Keep some things private.

"The Governor" is fine because Shane is posh and that makes sense. It's a slight joke between friends. I get that. "Patch" I get as well, even though Steve lost his eye tragically, so if he wasn't comfortable with it, then it should be dropped. He seems to be fine with it, so okay.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:22 PM, DisneyBoy said:

It always sounded like he was calling her a can of cat food.

• LOL 11
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Nicknames can be fine, but on this show, they're often hilarious or just bad. "Doc" always reminded me of Looney Tunes, "Sweetness" just sounds....uuggghh *shudders* so creepy and weird....and "Fancy Face" hardly rolls off the tongue. And WTH does it even mean? You have a pretty face? Then why not say "gorgeous" or "hey beautiful" or "angel" or something?

It reminds me of Logan on Gilmore Girls calling Rory "Ace". It was so smarmy and condescending, because he didn't care at all about the publishing empire his father was just handing to him, but watched, amused, while Rory worked at her classes and at the university paper to try and get her foot in the door as a journalist. Like "haha - you're pretending to be a reporter, but also, I want to bone you, so I'm going to start giving you a pet name before we're even a couple, because you liiiiiiiiiike iiiiiit!" Puke.

Nicknames can be fine, but if they're about how sexy your partner is or some kind of possessive partner thing, just save it for the bedroom. No one needs to hear it. Let your eyes do the talking. Keep some things private.

"The Governor" is fine because Shane is posh and that makes sense. It's a slight joke between friends. I get that. "Patch" I get as well, even though Steve lost his eye tragically, so if he wasn't comfortable with it, then it should be dropped. He seems to be fine with it, so okay.

Patch was never a nickname, it always pained Steve to be called that but he always acted like he did not give a damn but he did.  Steve has always been insecure about having one eye, he thought it made him ugly and unworthy of love. Kayla and those close to him know that nickname is hurtful and they would never call him that. When Bonnie called him Patch when she was pretending to be Adrienne, it was a clue to him that something was amiss..

Steve called Kayla "sweetness" because he found it remarkable that Kayla was genuinely a nice and loveable person and he was not used to that. He came from a world that people were nice with ulterior motives.  He also found out that Kayla's sweetness belies a toughness in her that he liked..

I forget why Bo called Hope "fancy face" but it was something special between them.  Their nickname does not have to make sense to you but it meant something to them. 

Roman called Marlena "doc" because he had never met a woman doctor before her, he came from a world where the man worked and the woman stayed home to take of the house and the kids.  Marlena was liberal independent worldly beautiful sophisticated educated with a career of her own. She was different from the working class women he knew and grew up with..  She fascinated him and frustrated him because she was not taking the threats against her life seriously.  Roman came into her life to protect her.  She was used to be being fiercely independent and taking care of her patients. Marlena and Roman challenged each other in a good way.  Roman was a very conservative Catholic Irishman with a different worldview about the role of women in society and in the home. Roman and Marlena worked because their differences made them compelling as a couple, they fell in love and were able to make it work.  Roman and Marlena were a supercouple in their own right  with legions of fans and that carried over to Rojohn/Marlena and even John/Marlena.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 11
29 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Roman called Marlena "doc" because he had never met a woman doctor before her, he came from a world where the man worked and the woman stayed home to take of the house and the kids.  Marlena was liberal independent worldly beautiful sophisticated educated with a career of her own. She was different from the working class women he knew and grew up with..  She fascinated him and frustrated him because she was not taking the threats against her life seriously.  Roman came into her life to protect her.  She was used to be being fiercely independent and taking care of her patients. Marlena and Roman challenged each other in a good way.  Roman was a very conservative Catholic Irishman with a different worldview about the role of women in society and in the home. Roman and Marlena worked because their differences made them compelling as a couple, they fell in love and were able to make it work.  Roman and Marlena were a supercouple in their own right  with legions of fans and that carried over to Rojohn/Marlena and even John/Marlena.

Which is why it irritates me when John uses the same nickname on her. I mean it wasn't his fault that he took over Roman's life and had his memories, but once he knew he was someone else, he should have just created something else special for him and Marlena. I mean he got the girl. Did he also have to get the nickname?

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Which is why it irritates me when John uses the same nickname on her. I mean it wasn't his fault that he took over Roman's life and had his memories, but once he knew he was someone else, he should have just created something else special for him and Marlena. I mean he got the girl. Did he also have to get the nickname?

Don't forget whip cream and strawberries used to be a Roman and Marlena thing that became Jarlena's..

Edited by Pearson80
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I forget why Bo called Hope "fancy face" but it was something special between them.  Their nickname does not have to make sense to you but it meant something to them. 

Exactly! Its very sentimental for Bo and Hope fans as well. Little known fact - Peter Reckell came up with the name out of nowhere. They were doing a scene back in 1984 and he adlibbed "Fancy Face" and it remained.

• Useful 10
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

A face can't be fancy 😅

An outfit? Sure. A wristwatch? Okay.

It's a nickname it is not that serious, plenty of people are given nicknames by their love ones in their families, it is meant to be a term of endearment..

• Love 6
18 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The "Fancy Face" nickname makes sense in the context that Hope was the upper class girl and Bo was the blue collar guy. 

Yes, I think that's where it originated from with Bo and Hope. She was from a reputable family/dressed nice/make-up on her face and Bo thought she acted like a "princess." It distinguished the differences between them since he wasn't a clean cut guy and came from a working class family who struggled to get by. 

• Love 4

I wasn't sure where to post this but I thought this might be the thread for it. As most old school Days fans know Bo would never be here for Ben/Ciara. Times like these I'm glad he's dead because I shudder to think of him being ok with this its bad enough they had Hope "accepting"

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

Yessss....way to go Peter. Tell it like it is.

Seriously, how can the producers not see how gross their relationship is? How it's demeaned Ciara as a character and wasted her potential?

At least when they inexplicably put Kate with Andre (ugh) he died not long after.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I wasn't sure where to post this but I thought this might be the thread for it. As most old school Days fans know Bo would never be here for Ben/Ciara. Times like these I'm glad he's dead because I shudder to think of him being ok with this its bad enough they had Hope "accepting"

Ron who is thin-skinned would not get along with Peter who always spoke his mind when it came to bad storylines when it comes to Bo.. As soon as Peter would voice his concerns about his shitty writing, a vindictive  Ron would start attacking Bo/Peter via his writing. He has done that before on other shows. Ron is a legend in his own mind and truly believes that  he is on the same level as Shakespeare or Faulkner.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

Ron who is thin-skinned would not get along with Peter who always spoke his mind when it came to bad storylines when it comes to Bo.. As soon as Peter would voice his concerns about his shitty writing, a vindictive  Ron would start attacking Bo/Peter via his writing. He has done that before on other shows. Ron is a legend in his own mind and truly believes that  he is on the same level as Shakespeare or Faulkner.

Ron blocked me on Twitter for criticizing his GH storylines.

• LOL 5

Actually I remember him snapping on a viewer on Twitter once “if you know so much about writing why don’t you have your own show to run?” Then blocked them.

of course that criticism makes no sense so unless we’ve produced or head wrote a soap opera we have no right to an opinion or are to stupid to be entitled them... unless it’s praise then it’s fine. 

• Love 9

Yep he would do that which is why I'm glad Bo is gone I at least can keep the good memories I have of him intact.

He also told fans to shut up for criticizing his storylines I think he even called a school of theirs to complain about them(not sure how accurate that is)

• Love 3

Oh shit I forgot about that! It was a HS student on Twitter w their details on their page. I’m trying to imagine Ron going to the school and talking to administeration.

*dressed in one of his tacky leisure suits*

”Mr. Principal! Some kids are saying mean things about me online! Please suspend them, I’m really sad about it.” 😢

-“Hmm. Have you trying turning your computer off? We’re busy like, educating and keeping our community safe. Thanks”

• LOL 10
9 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Oh shit I forgot about that! It was a HS student on Twitter w their details on their page. I’m trying to imagine Ron going to the school and talking to administeration.

*dressed in one of his tacky leisure suits*

”Mr. Principal! Some kids are saying mean things about me online! Please suspend them, I’m really sad about it.” 😢

-“Hmm. Have you trying turning your computer off? We’re busy like, educating and keeping our community safe. Thanks”

Did Ron contact the kid's parents as well? I remember people online were saying that... 

2 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mayor-of-l-a-issues-emergency-covid-19-order-to-county-its-time-to-cancel-everything

Will this affect filming?

How far ahead is the show now? I assume they've finished December/January...so are they filming February, or are they further head?

I saw that earlier too and was wondering the same thing.  Would be nice if they compiled some memorable moments episodes to fill some time. Surely that could be produced remotely with a video editor and producer. Maybe the writers today could even take some notes and learn something...and by learn something I mean improve their writing skills not just rip off old plots. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mayor-of-l-a-issues-emergency-covid-19-order-to-county-its-time-to-cancel-everything

Will this affect filming?

How far ahead is the show now? I assume they've finished December/January...so are they filming February, or are they further head?

I believe this is exclusively for the city of Los Angeles.  The last information I could find on where DOOL films is that they have a studio in Burbank.  Same county as LA but they wouldn't fall under the mayor's directives.  Some of the actors might, though.  I guess we'll have to see what the specifics of the order are.

23 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

ABC has fired the heads of their daytime programming.  Don't know what that means for GH, considering they're firing actors already.

If only NBC would fire Ron.

🎵All I want for Christmas is a new head writer...🎵

• LOL 1
  • Love 2