Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

On 12/18/2020 at 4:05 AM, WendyCR72 said:

So, basically, Ron is up to the same Twitter antics he pulled while on GH? Good to know he learned NOTHING. Maybe the end result will be the same, too, and he will eventually be fired - AGAIN. (Especially since the show's ratings are awful right now!)

He has to get fired. Say what you will about Dena but under her tenure the show's ratings never went below 2.1 . 

Dont get me wrong, she was horrible as well but the ratings never collapsed the way they have collapsed under carlivati. 

Under carlivati  the show has achieved record low ratings and yet this clown is still headwriter?

Infact ,Dena 's reign of terror prompted alot of Petitions to be created calling for her dismisal during her two stints as headwriter and yet not even one petition calling for Carlivati's dismisal has sprung up which I find to be bizarre given that he has performed far worse than Dena Higley . 

The show couldnt even match or surpass Y&R and B&B during the lockdown when these shows were airing re -runs while Days was airing original episodes. 

Shocking !!! 

This man has gots to go. 

On 12/18/2020 at 4:08 AM, CanaryFan98 said:

While I want Ron fired as much as the next person he would probably be replaced by Dena. If we're lucky and that part doesn't happen I'd be content with them promoting Ryan Quan to the position. He can't make the show worse.

Agree. Ryan Quan should get the opportunity to be headwriter. Even he cannot be worse than Dena and Carlivati . 

Plus it will end the cycle of recycling writers from other soapies. 

And alternatively ,If Ryan  is battling to cope ,perhaps they can bring back Peter Brash as associate  or co- headwriter . 

Also Restore Sheri Anderson to Creative consultant. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

He seriously needs help. His obsession with rape/clear issues with women is honestly kind of unsettling at this point.

And considering the target audience for soaps is still primarily women, that is a HUGE problem! Ron needs the axe - again.

• Love 2

He was on the writing staff at OLTL (not a head writer yet) when they did the story about a male character getting raped by a mentally ill woman which resulted in the birth of a baby. I've always wondered if he threw the idea for it to the head writer at the time or that's when he decided to write stories like that when he became the HW.

• Love 3

I remembered that storyline although I did find Sam adorable and liked that Blair loved him as his own...

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

He seriously needs help. His obsession with rape/clear issues with women is honestly kind of unsettling at this point.

I think Days has some deep seeded issues with rape as the show's obsession with it predates Ron but I always thought this about Ron personally....

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

He was on the writing staff at OLTL (not a head writer yet) when they did the story about a male character getting raped by a mentally ill woman which resulted in the birth of a baby. I've always wondered if he threw the idea for it to the head writer at the time or that's when he decided to write stories like that when he became the HW.

He was also the head writer at OLTL who decided to give Marty amnesia so he could write a "Todd"/Marty romance (that, when hinted at back in the early 90s, led to both of the actors to protest and eventually leave the show.)

For those who don't know the characters, Todd organized the gang rape of Marty back in the early 90s.  Actor was loved so they decided to keep the character.  Todd is in quotes because he was played by Trevor St. John at the time.  When the original actor came back, they pulled a RoJohn with him so it wasn't a Todd/Marty romance after all.

But the fact that they even went there is appalling.

It's not just an obsession with rape but rapists with their victims.  It's why I think he probably wants to do Abigail Stefan but someone is stopping him.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I remembered that storyline although I did find Sam adorable and liked that Blair loved him as his own...

I think Days has some deep seeded issues with rape as the show's obsession with it predates Ron but I always thought this about Ron personally....

Remember Bill and Laura, they were a rapemance. I was not alive back then but can somebody explain to me how they got together. Was it a marital rape or did he rape her before they got together.  

The only couple that was fascinating to watch even though there was rape in their romantic history was Roger and Holly from Guiding Light, it was always presented as an unhealthy dysfunctional relationship between them and the actors played the hell out of that but Ron does not have the writing skill to write that type of dysfunction without character destruction.. Roger Thorpe is my favorite anti-hero of all time...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Remember Bill and Laura, they were a rapemance. I was not alive back then but can somebody explain to me how they got together. Was it a marital rape or did he rape her before they got together.  

The only couple that was fascinating to watch even though there was rape in their romantic history was Roger and Holly from Guiding Light, it was always presented as an unhealthy dysfunctional relationship between them and the actors played the hell out of that but Ron does not have the writing skill to write that type of dysfunction without character destruction.. Roger Thorpe is my favorite anti-hero of all time...

Per Wikipedia [as I was also not alive then!], Laura and Bill were actually engaged but it was called off because of Bill having tuberculosis which affected his medical career. It was while she was evaluating the character of Susan Martin for trial that she interacted with Mickey and they later fell in love and married. Bill raped Laura [with no memory of it the day after [was he drunk?], again per Wiki], and that is when Mike was conceived (as Tom Horton did a paternity test and discovered Mickey was sterile, and the baby belonged to Bill...)

Apparently, after Laura and Mickey split, Laura and Bill fell in love again (yeah) and it went from there (and Jennifer was born).

Laura's history is in that Wiki link. What I find interesting is Days' Laura's maiden name was...Spencer. So TWO characters ostensibly with the name of Laura Spencer (even if the later GH version was the character's married name!) would fall in love with and have a family with their rapist. And the Days version happened long before the more famous Luke/Laura rapemance and wedding in 1981 on General Hospital.

I wonder if the GH PTB were aware of the character similarities or if things were just accidental/coincidental?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Yup, this has been happening before Ron (not a fan).  Sami married her second rapist.  The whole genre has a problem with this subject.  I always thought it was gross.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

He was also the head writer at OLTL who decided to give Marty amnesia so he could write a "Todd"/Marty romance (that, when hinted at back in the early 90s, led to both of the actors to protest and eventually leave the show.)

For those who don't know the characters, Todd organized the gang rape of Marty back in the early 90s.  Actor was loved so they decided to keep the character.  Todd is in quotes because he was played by Trevor St. John at the time.  When the original actor came back, they pulled a RoJohn with him so it wasn't a Todd/Marty romance after all.

But the fact that they even went there is appalling.

It's not just an obsession with rape but rapists with their victims.  It's why I think he probably wants to do Abigail Stefan but someone is stopping him.

Ken I believe is stopping him from doing this because he likes Chabby its also why we still have Rafe because I think Ron has no interest in the character at all. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Ken I believe is stopping him from doing this because he likes Chabby its also why we still have Rafe because I think Ron has no interest in the character at all. 

Wasn't there a rumor about a story so controversial that Ron planned on doing that the network had to get involved to stop him.  He was threatened with unemployment, so he had to change course...

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

Wasn't there a rumor about a story so controversial that Ron planned on doing that the network had to get involved to stop him.  He was threatened with unemployment, so he had to change course...

Probably although I can't imagine what that story is(and I rather not know at this point).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Sure, all the soaps and basically just entertainment in general are rape obsessed, but Ron just obviously has such deep-seated issues and it has reached like a truly scary level. 

Exactly.  Throughout the years, soaps have had a variety issues regarding how they told rape stories and what to do with the rapists after the story has been told but Ron seems to have all the issues regarding rape stories.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Her fiancé is hot.

Sure, all the soaps and basically just entertainment in general are rape obsessed, but Ron just obviously has such deep-seated issues and it has reached like a truly scary level. 

Her ring is really beautiful and classy. I couldn’t get a pic because she only showing it in her IG story and a live. But is like 1.5-2 carats brilliant cut and set in an Old World vintage gold setting. 

Yeah soaps and Days have always had an issue with rape but I feel Ron is a bit more heavy handed with his rape stories and constant “bitches be crazy” always having a psychotic woman front burner and most of the rest turned into irrational shrews. I think the most alarming thing is his comments he essentially agrees w some of the shit he puts on screen like Stefan didn’t rape Abby and Kristen didn’t rape Brady. He really shouldn’t speak on such things given all we’ve noticed and also the fake he’s re-written Clyde, the kiddie rapist and homophobe, as some kind of black hat with heart of gold dad. 

• Love 5
On 12/19/2020 at 8:13 PM, Pearson80 said:

Ron is just disgusting and it boggles my mind that he continues to get away with bull...

He has utterly failed at Days. He has to go. Im still surprised that there is  not even one petition out there calling for his dismisal despite the show achieving record low ratings under him . Dena Higley was awful and the numerous petitions calling for her dismissal were always warranted . Yet ,the show never went below 2.1 Million in the ratings during her tenure and yet mr calivati seems to be getting away scott free with zero petitions calling for his dismisal despite performing even worse than Dena . Whats up with that ? 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Ron blocked me last month 😂. He's always been a douchebag on twitter.

Here's a shot of Camila's ring. It was hard to get a really clear screenshot but its so pretty

Screenshot_20201220-231219~2.png

What did you say to Ron? He is such a thin-skinned baby.. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pearson80 said:

What did you say to Ron? He is such a thin-skinned baby.. 

I had tweeted him about my Jake/ Kate hate and said something how I shouldnt be surprised since trash is his specialty. I was so disappointed I didn't even get a dickish clapback. Just a delete and block lol

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Her ring is really beautiful and classy. I couldn’t get a pic because she only showing it in her IG story and a live. But is like 1.5-2 carats brilliant cut and set in an Old World vintage gold setting. 

Yeah soaps and Days have always had an issue with rape but I feel Ron is a bit more heavy handed with his rape stories and constant “bitches be crazy” always having a psychotic woman front burner and most of the rest turned into irrational shrews. I think the most alarming thing is his comments he essentially agrees w some of the shit he puts on screen like Stefan didn’t rape Abby and Kristen didn’t rape Brady. He really shouldn’t speak on such things given all we’ve noticed and also the fake he’s re-written Clyde, the kiddie rapist and homophobe, as some kind of black hat with heart of gold dad. 

He even expects us to fawn over Clyde and Ben 's so -called heartwarming relationship despite both of them being reprehensible creatures. One is a druglord ,murderer,attempted murderer and a pedo and the other is serial killer . How does he expect us to fawn over these two? 

11 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Any ides what this storyline was all about ? 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Rafael said:

Any ides what this storyline was all about ? 

I have no idea what the story was going to be with Ron we know it was going to heinous.  The network got nervous and told him hell no.. I do know it was before the Pandemic started.  The rumor came about in early 2020, it seems like a lifetime ago..

• Love 1

I made a joke...then deleted it but given the abrupt exit of certain cast members would it be far fetched to speculate it included them? 

Also I keep getting the vibe and thought in my head the way he keeps doing that essence and brain chip bullshit he’s going do something dumb AF w a legacy character .... like maybe he was gonna have after Ciara’s passing Ben and Hope grown close and romantic then it’s revealed he has Bos chip since his redemption...which would be pissing on the iconic character and also disgusting 🤢 since he married and slept w and pining for his daughter 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

ke maybe he was gonna have after Ciara’s passing Ben and Hope grown close and romantic then it’s revealed he has Bos chip since his redemption...which would be pissing on the iconic character and also disgusting 🤢 since he married and slept w and pining for his daughter 

Then if Ciara came back to life and she and Ben got back togehter would she really be dating her father?  Ewww.  Have I mentioned how stupid the chip implants are?  This show really knows how to go off the rails.  And not in a good way.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Also I keep getting the vibe and thought in my head the way he keeps doing that essence and brain chip bullshit he’s going do something dumb AF w a legacy character .... like maybe he was gonna have after Ciara’s passing Ben and Hope grown close and romantic then it’s revealed he has Bos chip since his redemption...which would be pissing on the iconic character and also disgusting 🤢 since he married and slept w and pining for his daughter 

This made me remember that rumor about Ben/Hope hooking up. Maybe that was it. I don't see how simply that is too controversial though so hell maybe your spec about it is true lol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

This made me remember that rumor about Ben/Hope hooking up. Maybe that was it. I don't see how simply that is too controversial though so hell maybe your spec about it is true lol.

The spec would be the controversial part (might explain why KA left too) because Ben/Hope wouldn't be the first time a dude hooked up with their S/O's mother on this show. I mean Hope exists for that reason..... 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

My guess would be having Billy/Chad be Stefano. It was clear Ron wanted to keep the brain chip idea going after Stevano had his removed....maybe that's what made them put their foot down?

.....nah. You're right. It was probably about sex/rape.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

And the WORST has to be Carlivati stealing my ideas. 

Go read the bitterness thread where I complain about the fact that instead of  Deimos Kiriakis we should have gotten Larry Welch and Linda Anderson terrorising Maggie and Victor.  

I specifically stated that the best way to explain Larry returning from the dead would involve the ISA. 

Remember that when Larry was around circa 2002-2003  ,there was a heavy ISA presence on the canvas . We saw Shane Donovan himself return . We saw other agents like Odell P Smith (Philip's superior) , Thomas E Kramer (TEK ) , John had rejoined the ISA ,Philip Kiriakis and Agent Spector . 

The ISA faking Larry's death at the hospital after his accident  would have made sense. Plus one of the doctors or paramedics would have obviously been paid by the ISA to fake his death by injecting his iv with some serum simulating death 

This man killed an ISA agent and impersonated the said agent by issuing orders to Billie Reed. 

He had also infiltrated the DiMera organisation to the point where he impersonated Stefano and ordered DiMera hitmen to kill Victor but they shot nicole instead.

He managed to do something the ISA has always struggled to do . 

Why wouldnt the ISA fake his death and use him as an asset ? 

Plus his bio father was Victor Chovat , a former Soviet scientist or something so technically if larry was sent to infiltrate and gather info on terror groups ,he would have credibility in thay world due to his bio daddy.  

It makes sense for the ISA to use of  his talents . 

But Carlivati stole my idea and subverted it and made a few changes.  Instead of Larry being revived by the ISA ,it is now Orpheus . 

It is now Orpheus who gave the new ISA boss info even though Orpheus hasnt been an agent since the 80s and was in jail throughout the 1990s and only escaped from jail in 2015 . What use could Orpheus be to the ISA in 2020 ?

Why would the ISA bargain or even believe a terrorist who terrorised the entire town back in 2016 ? Like seriously ? And then to give him immunity is just laughable especially after Pamela van Damme's shenanigans .

Maybe i should demand that carlivati compensate me . 

Edited by Rafael
50 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

So is that going to shut production down?

They're probably on a production break for two weeks, at least, for the holidays.  It's unlikely she was on set and contagious. 

If they need Gabi next week, I see a temp recast but I don't even know if they're in production next week.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2020 at 7:51 PM, Petunia13 said:

Camila tested positive for covid today

She was doing everything we've been told not to do. Parties, travelling, family gathering. I don't feel sorry for her at all.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

And of course her fiance is also positive, and most likely the slew of people that were with them on the FL trip. I'm actually shocked she didnt test positive sooner. Over the summer she was with a bunch of people at an amusement park without a mask.

• Love 3
On 12/28/2020 at 9:47 PM, Jaded said:

That doesn't surprise me at all. 

Same here, some of the things she has co-signed is disappointing to say the least. 

57 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

And of course her fiance is also positive, and most likely the slew of people that were with them on the FL trip. I'm actually shocked she didnt test positive sooner. Over the summer she was with a bunch of people at an amusement park without a mask.

That fiance is a piece of work..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5

Yay for him. Did he charge people to watch the livestream online?

Sorry but I'm done with him and his weird grifting. Sucks that Will is stuck in a legacy coupling with this guy. He creeps me out.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 1