Type keyword(s) to search

Like Sand Through an Hourglass: Behind the Scenes of DOOL

Message added by Door County Cherry

The Behind The Scenes thread is not a spoiler thread.  So spoilers, including casting information, do not belong in here.  The "behind the scenes" information specifically related to casting should go in either the spoiler thread or the Salem International thread which discusses. departures and arrivals thread. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

There are private forums where Fans of the show share videos and have discussions about the show like we do on here.  The only difference is that you have to have permission to join there and you need a password.  Youtube is full of private rooms where fans congregate without fear that our videos will be removed for copyright. I have been on them and it is cool to talk to fans who used to watch the show during the 70's and hearing their perspectives on things.  They have always said that Julie was never a racist and it was a retcon to create drama between Valerie and Julie. 

They did the same thing with Julie and Doug in the 80's when they opposed the Bo/Hope pairing.  Julie and Doug in character would never have done that so the actors protested  the storyline and were fired for going public with their opposition.. Doug and Julie are the last people to voice any opposition to anybody's relationship given their unconventional relationship.

They mentioned that in their book I don't think that was the only reason they were out of the show at that point it was the changing of the guard focusing on more younger couples etc. Doug/Julie were old guard by then.  Which is what they referenced as a reason for their departure. 

I don't find it entirely out of character for Doug to be against Bo/Hope I mean he may have been a free spirit and morally grey but when Hope came along she changed him. Fathers are overprotective of their daughters especially those who have questionable pasts themselves because they don't want the karmic retribution of their daughter finding a man like him... So Doug not liking Bo at first didn't really seem that farfetched.  Julie I expected to be more understanding though.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

They mentioned that in their book I don't think that was the only reason they were out of the show at that point it was the changing of the guard focusing on more younger couples etc. Doug/Julie were old guard by then.  Which is what they referenced as a reason for their departure. 

I don't find it entirely out of character for Doug to be against Bo/Hope I mean he may have been a free spirit and morally grey but when Hope came along she changed him. Fathers are overprotective of their daughters especially those who have questionable pasts themselves because they don't want the karmic retribution of their daughter finding a man like him... So Doug not liking Bo at first didn't really seem that farfetched.  Julie I expected to be more understanding though.

Fathers are very protective of their daughters but Doug came off so damn self-righteous and they knew the Brady family  for years so his opposition to Bo seemed so contrived to give Bo and Hope an obstacle.  Had Bo been some random guy that they knew nothing about then I could be a bit more understanding but the Hortons and the Bradys were super close for years.  Roman as a teenager used to mow their lawn and he always brought his baby brother Bo with him and that is how Bo and Hope first met as children.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Roman as a teenager used to mow their lawn and he always brought his baby brother Bo with him and that is how Bo and Hope first met as children.

Whoa, was this shown onscreen? Or was this just a childhood story/memory that was recounted by Roman or Bo? I thought the Bradys didn't show up onscreen until the early 1980's?

39 minutes ago, bunnyblue said:

Whoa, was this shown onscreen? Or was this just a childhood story/memory that was recounted by Roman or Bo? I thought the Bradys didn't show up onscreen until the early 1980's?

It was recounted onscreen if I am not mistaken when Bo and Hope met again as adults.  The Brady family had moved back to Salem when they showed up in the 80's.  Roman came first then the others followed. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Rons such an asshole.

And see. That’s why you have a lot of cast members quitting abruptly and a lack of seasoned soap actors wanting to join this show. 

I know there are few soaps left, but if Ron is just going to grind this show into dirt - and if Ken Corday is willing to let that continue - this show should just end. Ken's parents are probably doing gymnastics routines in their graves at how their son destroyed their show so badly.

• Love 3

To play devil's advocate, they probably realize that telling actors in advance the content of the stories they are proposing for them to act out will put too much power in their hands. They could refuse to return, which would complicate planning the show, or leak stories to the media accidental or deliberately. Better to offer them a return, get the paperwork signed, and then tell them only what they need to know. Its a standard practice. Charisma Carpenter for instance agreed to return to Angel for the 100th episode on the condition they not kill her character off. Once she signed, she found out that was definitely happening. And on Days, Stephen Nichols was offered a return without knowing he'd signed on to imitate Joe Mascolo.

....and that was a terrible, embarrassing storyline.

So....yeah....I'm pretty much on your side. If the vets can't trust they'll be treated with respect, why should they come back? We've already lost Hope, Jennifer and Kristen's portrayers because, to one degree or another, they know nothing good will come from returning...

And here we are, relieved other characters are kept off canvas.

So they may be doing what's typical....but they're not honoring their end of the deal.

Unbearable months of Stevano....versus the so-fast-you-may-have-missed-it Joey freed from prison and Stayla re-wedding. The good stuff is vastly out weighed by the bad.

There should be integrity in the writing. But look at how they "wrapped up" Joe's tenure on the show as Stefano. Shameful.

The writing doesn't have to be this bad. Actors would still return without any clue about story if they felt they could trust that a good one would get told.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I know there are few soaps left, but if Ron is just going to grind this show into dirt - and if Ken Corday is willing to let that continue - this show should just end. Ken's parents are probably doing gymnastics routines in their graves at how their son destroyed their show so badly.

When Days was renewed while I was glad that we still were a part of Salem for another year I also knew it wasn't going to get better. They weren't going to get better writers or a better budget  it was going to be worse.

I remember Kim Zimmer mentioning how far GL fell at the end and she wished the show was put out of its misery before the Peapack years happened.

• Love 2

We're in mid March and we haven't heard anything about whether Days is cancelled or not. Someone on Twitter mentioned because they're bringing in Paulina who says the things she says that maybe Days is doing things more freely because they're going off the air.

Hmm I wonder if there's any truth to that.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

I wouldn't say Paulina is the indicator things are wrapping up.

Yea, I don't see that at all. Ron likes to hop on the latest social issue (and make it into something horrible lol) so I just think that's what he's going for with Paulina. 

Every year there's a bunch of 'Days is definitely getting cancelled' talk and every year it isn't and every year I bring that up. It's all very Ron with it's repetitiveness lol.

• Love 5
On 2/25/2021 at 9:53 PM, Frozendiva said:

Saw that today, on Twitter, that it was LeAnn Hunley's 66th birthday. Wow.

Bro the actors who play Steve and Kate are both 68. All three look GREAT. 

• Love 7
On 3/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I could say something cruel right now, based on my lack of enthusiasm for their characters, but I won't.

And I want some credit for that.

Oh PLEASE say it!  PLEASE????

Oh.....okay.....then I will.......

giphy.gif

Edited by boes
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Stop being the devil on my shoulder, boes😉

I've no idea when she's due, but I'm wondering if she'll be back at all for the next year. Maternity leave is generally a year these days, isn't it, if not more...?

Too bad the writers have done almost nothing to build up to a possible Abigail exit. And where will this leave Chad?

Of course, I remember back when actors would have a baby and almost immediately return to work. Didn't Judi Evans come back to Another World within weeks of giving birth? They worked her weight gain into the character's storyline and it was really brilliant. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I've no idea when she's due, but I'm wondering if she'll be back at all for the next year. Maternity leave is generally a year these days, isn't it, if not more...?

Nope.  Not even close in the US.  Law grants new moms 12 weeks of unpaid leave.  Some employers offer 6 weeks of paid leave or partially paid leave.  Some don't.  That's not to say she couldn't be granted a longer leave if the show agreed but a year isn't typical.

Actresses have always seemed to take fewer weeks off.  I imagine they and their agents get nervous that a show might get too comfortable not having to write for them.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

In Canada and other Western countries you can get a year of paid maternity leave with your job waiting for you but not the United States where you get a few weeks for maternity leave.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I saw this tweet from Stephen Nichols linked elsewhere.  It's a little behind-the-scenes video which I'll put behind spoiler tags because it shows who he's filming with on the day he took it.  For all I know, it's an old video but just to be safe.

Spoiler

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

....did I miss something? There were no surprises in there...

Except the HIDEOUS FREAKING CURTAINS.  

I didn't say surprises. Or anything that would inspire a "that makes sense" reaction. But since the scenes haven't aired and this is not a spoiler thread, I thought I'd be extra safe and throw them behind tags.

Although I would say that one of the characters is a teensy bit of a reveal since

Spoiler

Jack and Steve haven't really shared many scenes for a few months.   If it were just Kayla/MBE, I probably wouldn't have tagged it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Days won the Writers Guild Award for best writing for a soap.

I almost put this in the Bitterness thread.

I've seen better writing on a Beavis and Butthead cartoon. But as there are four soaps left, I guess someone had to get the Cracker Jacks prize.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Yea, I mean, it's not like the other soaps are so outstanding. I tried watching GH last week and the level of second-hand embarrassment I had, over everything from the acting to the writing, was insane and I couldn't make it past like a minute lol. I've only seen B&B and Y&R very sporadically but they don't seem better than Days to me.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, howmanywords said:

The worst thing is this makes me think we'll never get rid of Ron.

We were never getting rid of him in the first place there's no incentive for the show to replace a writer at this point. I mean who would be the alternative at this point? Sure they could promote someone from within but they clearly have no interest in that. The budget is still bad etc. This is why I want my faves gone never to return.

We still don't know if Days has been renewed so the show's finale will be written by Ron I've already braced myself for how bad it will probably be if that happens.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Aw! I like the name. It's unique without being too weird, ya know lol?

I agree.  She is beautiful and I love the picture with her laying her head on your mother's chest. She looks so happy and content to be with her mommy.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3

I will say that I had no clue that MM was pregnant until a week or two ago. I think she carried really low & small. She was wearing a long sundress for a while and it still wasn’t noticeable to me. Usually, I spot a soap actress is pregnant before she starts caring the potted plant. I think as far as Marci got was carrying her small purse in front. LOL!!!! Of course, I’m not sure when her latest scene se with Gabi were done. Last year it would have been nine months. Since, they’ve been back I think it’s a month or two. Anyway, congrats and I hope we see her soon. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So telling. They punished him as swiftly as Chandler was axed, even though it was decades apart. Clearly, you cannot question the logic of the soap gods.

I assume Victor was being manipulated by Sami at the time...?

Check out this channel's other interviews with him too, there are a couple.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Useful 1